• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie Fils-Aime on the Two Reasons Why Switch Won't Struggle Like Wii U Did

For the Switch, Fils-Aime believes, as he's been saying for a while now, that Nintendo has done a better job communicating what exactly the Switch is; he also believes there won't be a lack of strong games.

"Nintendo Switch is a home console you can play anywhere, with anyone. Clear. Compelling," he said. "We see the reaction by consumers whether it's measured in Twitter trending topics or views of videos on YouTube or just the frequency with which I get called by old high school buddies that I haven't heard from in 30 years who are asking me how to get their hands on Nintendo Switch. We have communicated the proposition clearly and it is compelling."

The second piece, that of strong games coming out frequently, is a "critical" component to selling Switch consoles and to keep existing users engaged, Fils-Aime said.

"Wii U will go down as having fantastic content--the issue was as you look at the reality of exactly when the games were launched, there were large gaps in between," he said.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/nintendo-exec-on-the-two-reasons-why-switch-wont-s/1100-6446987/

It is certainly true that the core philosophy of the switch is more clearly told to the masses.

Now back up that no droughts comment.

Dantis

The Switch is fixing the lack of compelling games by launching one at launch and another at Christmas.

Great fix. Good job.

Reggie has restated the "no large gaps" policy so many times that I actually believe him. Would be pretty cool if they could really sustain a high quality game launch every month and a half or so

The Switch is fixing the lack of compelling games by launching one at launch and another at Christmas.

Great fix. Good job.

Kart, Splatoon 2, and Arms don't do it for you? Plus, I'm sure there are other games that have yet to be revealed.

Kathian

Banned
Yep. Can see it with Switch. Their stretching out month on month some sort of release.

I suspect 3DS will wind down some time next year at which point those titles will start coming over.

I mean merging the software to ensure no droughts is the entire plan behind this thing.

Quick edit on some people's responses. Wii U ports will work for non Wii U owners who end of the day this policy is targeting!

I don't how many games the casual fan needs to be engage, but they got me if Mario makes it this year.

It will have about 6-8 titles i want to play by then

Oregano

Cool Reggie, just sort out that price and the network stuff and we're golden.

That's what is so frustrating right now. They're so close to just nailing it.

Coda

Right now the release schedule is more abysmal than the Wii U's lineup. Now if they start to announce more and some more hardcore type games from Platinum and From Software, I'll be happier with my purchase.

MrBadger

well, he's right that it's clearer on what the thing is. Wii U never recovered from people thinking it was a Wii add-on and I doubt Switch will have that issue.

Ray Down

Banned
I highly doubt your HS buddies were calling you Reggie.

get

I need to see the receipts, Reggie. The idea is that Nintendo can now crank out the high quality first party software due to consolidating home and portable development. Let's see two of those games per month on the Switch; not "here's your Summer game, see you in November".

LordKano

The Wii U had three games from Jan.1st 2013 to December 31rd, so I can easily believe him that the first year is far from having the same drought.

Oregano

Great fix. Good job.

MK8 Deluxe is April, ARMs shortly after, Splatoon 2 in Summer and Fire Emblem Musou is probably this year. Xenoblade is supposed to be this year but will most likely be delayed.

There's probably other stuff(Smash, Pokémon) yet to announce.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Yes they have communicated what it is far better than the Wii-U, but it's all the other info that's the problem.

MickeyPhree

Yeah I bet Reggie had old friends calling him.

I'll never believe one word this jack off says after that whole Arkham City deal on the WiiU.

No droughts is something I've been hoping Nintendo manages with the Switch. They do have around 9 games for the first 9 months, but hopefully they all come out on time.
The first 5 months sound pretty solid with Zelda, Snipperclipers, 1,2 Switch, MK8 Deluxe, ARMS, and Splatoon 2 (3DS first 5 months was OoT3D, Steel Diver, and Nintendogs?) but we need solid release dates for it to seem like a stronger line up.
Hopefully Xenoblade 2 and FE Warriors make their 2017 release and rumored titles like Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Pokemon Stars help wrap up the 9 months.
VC could help fill in any gaps as well

I need to see the receipts, Reggie. The idea is that Nintendo can now crank out the high quality first party software due to consolidating home and portable development. Let's see two of those games per month on the Switch; not "here's your Summer game, see you in November".

Surely there's a happy medium between 2 games a month and 1 every few months.

Reggie said:
"Nintendo Switch is a home console you can play anywhere, with anyone. Clear. Compelling,"

The portable option is attractive in Japan, but I'm not convinced this is the path to success for the west.

Also, I think Reggie has a different definition of "frequent" than I do.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
This guy is delusional. Where are the games if there isn't going to be a crazy drought? I mean, it's one thing to say "we'll have more games!" and it's another thing to... you know.... actually have a bunch of games.

True Fire

just the frequency with which I get called by old high school buddies that I haven't heard from in 30 years who are asking me how to get their hands on Nintendo Switch

Sounds reassuring. Switch will sell 100 million units.

ckaneo

Nintendo fucked up that presentation , I know they like to sit on games but they could have just gave us project concepts their teams were working on so we would know the games are coming.

aBarreras

March: Zelda
April: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
May: ARMs?
June: ?
July: ?
August: ?
September: ?
October: ?
November: ?
December: ?

Insert Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey in 2 of those 7 unknown months.

do really people are this i dont know... ignorant? god damn

phanphare

Banned
Cool Reggie, just sort out that price and the network stuff and we're golden.

That's what is so frustrating right now. They're so close to just nailing it.

I feel like they just need a pack in for the holidays (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe perhaps) and then drop the price in 2018

network stuff....ugh. they're gonna fuck it up. part of me thinks that now that they're charging money maybe they'll actually be accountable and not fuck it up....but they're gonna fuck it up somehow.

18-Volt

I think there still will be confusion. People will think that it's a add on to PS4. They'll try to insert GBA games to this thing. People are dumber than you think, Reggie.

The Wii U game release schedule was just ONE of the many reasons it failed.

I think there still will be confusion. People will think that it's a add on to PS4. They'll try to insert GBA games to this thing. People are dumber than you think, Reggie.

I wonder if the Vita game cards can get stuck inside the Switch if inserted...

Top Bottom