• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS HOMEBREW Discussion Thread [exploits/carts/applications/games]

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
~

• THE (BEST) GUIDE •

Remember: I will take NO RESPONSIBILITY if you end up screwing up your console! Better stay safe, sharp and don't be afraid to ask questions: if you follow the guide correctly you'll be ok but it's up to you and your decision only.

Follow this guide here: [Consensus is that this is by far the most comprehensive one] [February 11th, 2017]
https://3ds.guide/

~

Homebrew FAQ: Q&A

If you're in trouble or have questions that haven't been answered yet, you can actually get a lot of help over at the 3Dhacks IRC chat:
https://www.reddit.com/r/3dshacks/wiki/irc

/About bans:

•[QUESTION]

Does Nintendo ban/brick/penalize 3DS systems that have the homebrew channel on it?

•[ANSWER/s]

Nope. Bans have only ever come from manipulating online play and playing a game super early.

They haven't. And the EmuNAND method has been around for ages now. I'm not sure what they'd gain either. All it'd do is stop people spending money in the estore. Encouraging people to pirate stuff seems rather counterproductive

*BUT*:
They have banhammered people for cheating, hacking online competitive games, messing with their Freemium apps, and playing unreleased stuff early but not for just running CFW / Homebrew.

With the kind of telemetry they have, they could do so easily. The activity log tracks all of that stuff, so it's easy to see. You'll even run across a street pass once in a while with someone having recently played a homebrew app.
They haven't done anything yet. Banning people from legitimate avenues is just going to push them into piracy exclusively. So if folks aren't wrecking the online environment, there's no reason to ban anyone.

-----------------

• DISCLAIMER (please read): August 27th, 2016

The info posted below is not relevant any more as per rendering your system HB-enabled.
Since 99.9% of the time people would come in here and keep asking questions answered in the OP anyway, post after post and page after page again, and since it is a *lot* of work to keep this stuff updated in the ever-changing world of 3DS Homebrew exploits, from now on I'll just try to always link to the easiest, safest guide available according to the consensus by the members posting regularly in this thread. If someone else is up to do a better job than me with a new thread, then by all means go for it, this was always meant to be a discussion's thread first and foremost anyway.

-----------------

The old OP:

• Warning: Don't update from 9.2 if you want Ninjhax to keep working!
  • /VC roms-injection via browser has been blocked with 9.5.0-23 firmware update
  • Gateway works with up to 9.2 firmware
  • Regionfour allows for region-free gaming, currently up to the latest 9.9 firmwares
  • Blargsnes now works with sound on New 3DS models using a specific build linked below
  • ironhax/tubehax allow usernand mode [no CFW] for homebrews like regionfour [for regionfree] up to 9.9firmware, no reason to update if you're on ninjhax with 9.2 unless you want to sell your copy of Cubic Ninja I guess
  • Exploit to access the eShop *only* works on firmwares between and including 9.0>9.2

________________________________________________________________________________
Q&A Flowchart from Reddit's sub 3dshacks

MlXbmMg.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________

Update 11: Tubehax exploit released. Works with fw up to 9.9 currently and only needs the free Youtube app!
Thanks to Shiggy for the writeup:

All you need to do is download the Youtube app
Then follow the steps in this video:
(get the app before it's taken down!).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=vwX92Hf0Dsg

Preparing your SD card

In order for homebrew to run on your system, you will need to place a few files on your SD card :

boot.3dsx : this file should be placed at the root of your SD card. It's what ninjhax/ironhax/tubehax will run first ! Usually, this is the Homebrew Launcher.
3ds/ : this folder will contain all the homebrew applications you want to install to your system. You can either place 3DSX files directly inside of that folder, or create an individual folder for each application you install.
To make things easier, we put together the homebrew starter kit; you can just download it and extract it at the root of your SD card. Alternatively, you may choose to only download The Homebrew Launcher menu executable and place it at the root of your SD card.
No matter what, you should have a file named boot.3dsx placed at the root of your SD card.

In order to install tubehax, you will need a console whose firmware version is between 9.0 and 9.9, as well as the YouTube application (available for free on eShop) and an internet connection.

1. First go down to the "preparing your SD card" section and follow those steps, then come back. Don't worry, we'll wait for you !

NOTE : the following steps might be slightly confusing to some people. If you find you're not sure what the steps are referring to,

please just head over to the Youtube video showing them being executed here.

2. On your 3DS, open the System Settings app, then go to Internet Settings and Connection Settings. From there, select your favorite Connection, tap the Change Settings button, and on the second page head over to the DNS section. Once there, select "No" for "Auto-obtain DNS", and under Detailed Setup, enter the following address : 107.211.140.065.
3. Save these new settings and close the System Settings app.
4. Open the YouTube app. It should redirect you to a firmware selection page.
5. Under "Select your firmware version", choose your console's firmware version. Getting this right is very important ! Once you're sure you did it right, hit the Submit button.
6. Wait for a few seconds. If you did all the previous steps right, the exploit should run and the Homebrew Launcher

FatalT

Banned
You need a cart of the game with the region that matches the region of your 3DS.

This is a fantastic exploit that enables HOMEBREW ONLY, NO PIRACY.

Richie

I'm laughing just imagining Ubisoft's reaction at this obscure old ass title of theirs suddenly selling out like crazy

Lijik

Picking this game up on the cheap back when I was really interested in 3DS games that used QR codes turned out to be a rad decision

Foffy

Banned
Homebrew and regionfree without piracy? Please.

Sadly when you break the platform to open that jazz, you do as a result bust the systems protection against piracy. While that may not be the case with this exploit, but homebrew will probably come to bust it more open.

Now, Nintendo also encrypts their games, so that end has some protection. I think only recently games like Smash work on flash cards. I also think eShop exclusives and DLC have not been broken at all.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This is a fantastic exploit that enables HOMEBREW ONLY, NO PIRACY.

I don't want piracy but I wish I could rip my physical games to a card. I realize that's a contradiction in terms, but there ya go.

Sadly when you break the platform to open that jazz, you do as a result bust the systems protection against piracy.

Now, Nintendo also encrypts their games, so that end has some protection. I think only recently games like Smash work on flash cards. I also think eShop exclusives and DLC have not been broken at all.

Of course, but as long as this does not directly enables piracy, it could be controlled. I mean, also now there are ways of pirating, but are -thankfully- much more limited than on the DS, where moms were literally asking for flash cards in game shops.

FatalT

Banned
I don't want piracy but I wish I could rip my physical games to a card. I realize that's a contradiction in terms, but there ya go.
You could do what I did and just go all digital. With how well Nintendo Support works with you if your system breaks or you lose it, you shouldn't worry about the lack of a portable account system. I had a physical copy of Animal Crossing: New Leaf but I traded it in for store credit to get a Nintendo e-shop points card to buy the digital version.

t26

Sadly when you break the platform to open that jazz, you do as a result bust the systems protection against piracy. While that may not be the case with this exploit, but homebrew will probably come to bust it more open.

Not sure about DLC but eshop games work fine with flashcart.

Edit: looks like people also manage to get DLC with their ROM

Foffy

Banned
Of course, but as long as this does not directly enables piracy, it could be controlled. I mean, also now there are ways of pirating, but are -thankfully- much more limited than on the DS, where moms were literally asking for flash cards in game shops.

Well, the issue here is that if this enables homebrew, how does it "control" what people make within that space? If I recall correctly, Wii and PSP-level piracy on Vita were possible through homebrew exploits that by themselves didn't allow this, but the homebrew made from that opening opened it up.

I have a very hard time seeing that not being repeated here. These guys may be opening the keys to the system, so it's in the hands of others if they want to take the door down.

Not sure about DLC but eshop games work fine with flashcart.

How do eShop games even work on a flashcart? I thought like DSiWare nobody really bothered to bust it open, and I also thought there was something about the digital versions that didn't make them work on a physical device regarding encryption.

One good thing we can say this will open besides region locking is fan translations. For those of you who like Dragon Quest VII, this may be your sole possibility of playing the 3DS game in English.

KyleCross

Welp, there goes future localizations of games here probably. It's not designed for piracy, but people WILL exploit it to that point. Anyone who releases a homebrew tool is silly if they think they're not enabling that to happen. "This is why we can't have nice things" and all that jazz...

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Welp, there goes future localizations of games here probably. It's not designed for piracy, but people WILL exploit it to that point. Anyone who releases a homebrew tool is silly if they think they're not enabling that to happen. "This is why we can't have nice things" and all that jazz...

Even if the homebrew-minded hackers don't get to it, the piracy-minded hackers would anyway. So it's not like they're letting the monster out of the closet... the monster was there already, buried in that Cubic Ninja cart. It's just that the good guys are getting to it first and we can have a little legit fun before Jack Sparrow shows up to ruin the game industry's livelihood.

yW46emC.jpg

Go all digital and get yourself a huge SD card!

That's absolutely a reasonable response.

I just wish I could have my cake (nice physical games in pretty packaging) and eat it too (have it all on the go without juggling carts).

I love my hacked consoles and I play by the rules, only ripping the games I bought. But I know not everyone is like that....

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
i thought that the exploit was launching on the 22nd? huh

This is the reveal of the exploit and the game that will enable unsigned code to run.
What will be launched later is the homebrew channel which will be possible installing thanks to this exploit found in Cubic Ninja's custom levels/savegame.

Foshy

This is the reveal of the exploit and the game that will enable unsigned code to run.
What will be launched later is the homebrew channel which will be possible installing thanks to this exploit found in Cubic Ninja's custom levels/savegame.
oooh, makes sense.

javac

And kiss all your games goodbye if your 3ds ever breaks, or if you decide to upgrade to N3DS.

What do you mean by that? Everything is transferable, they even removed the 5 transfer limit if I'm correct. And if your system breaks, there's ways to get them back, but it's true that the road to do so can be bumpy to say the least.

And kiss all your games goodbye if your 3ds ever breaks, or if you decide to upgrade to N3DS.

Please don't speak about topics you know nothing about. Nintendo can easily transfer your licenses to a new 3DS if your current one breaks, and there have been many cases of people doing it hassle-free (1 phone call). Also, you can upgrade to a New 3DS with the built-in system transfer tool that Nintendo put on the system. You lose nothing.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Also as per the author, the game will be needed to run the homebrew channel each time you want to launch it, so you can't just rent it/sell it later/borrow it from a friend.
Do you have a source for this? Because I've read the exact opposite

Kysen

Is there a digital version? I have a spare JP 3ds that I can use without worrying if Nintendo blocks it.

Top Bottom