• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS can use 128GB SDXC cards

From Go Nintendo

The card has to be reformatted to FAT32 in order to work.

Thought this was interesting since Nintendo said only cards up to 32GB would work, though I highly doubt anyone would ever fill up all 128 gigs :p

lots of SDHC compatible devices can use SDXC cards when formatted to FAT32

Neat. I bought a 64GB card for my camera and I was wondering if it would work with my 3DS.

However, I don't even have 128GB of games on my PC at any one time so I can't imagine that I'd ever need this kind of extravagance.

massoluk

Banned
That's neat, but I wouldn't know what to use it for in the 3DS, with the meager download offerings (right now that is) and no movie support, unless Pokemon anime offering is in the work for eshop or something.

Hale-XF11

That's an amazing amount of blocks!

As tempting as it would be to get a larger card, I still have over 173,000 blocks left on my 32GB card, so I think I'll be ok for a while yet.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Was wondering if it was possible to use FAT32 formated SDXC cards with the 3DS. Glad to see that it does works.

Madao

hehe this is nice. i might turn my regular 3DS into my default music player when i get the XL. this much space is almost unreal.

rpmurphy

hehe this is nice. i might turn my regular 3DS into my default music player when i get the XL. this much space is almost unreal.
I found it takes a long time to load playlists and folders though if you have a lot of songs. Although the player itself is pretty nice, the loading times are brutal.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yeah, just might...? I paid $80 for 32GB on Amazon.

Still lovin' my Vita, but the memory card prices are painful. Plus, we're limited to 32GB maximum right now. Can't blame Sony for wanting to protect itself from hacking after what happened with PSP, but yeah, Vita memory is expensive as hell.

If proprietary memory had ANYTHING to do with security rather than gouging their biggest fans their cards would be cheaper than the generic stuff. Their current pricing incentivises people to go out and try to hack the vita into an r4 style hack.

Ridley327

If proprietary memory had ANYTHING to do with security rather than gouging their biggest fans their cards would be cheaper than the generic stuff. Their current pricing incentivises people to go out and try to hack the vita into an r4 style hack.

Weren't Memory Sticks always considerably more expensive than SD cards, despite the fewer number of devices that actually used them? I think that Sony just has a mad hard-on for overpricing their proprietary memory formats.

Mileena

Banned
I think Pilotwings is only about 100 MB.

Somehow not surprising

styGB.png

What I'm happy/impressed with is that my 15 dollar 16 gig memory card runs games slightly faster than off the 3DS retail carts (referring to NSMB2). Yet my 100 dollar 32 gig proprietary mem card from Sony loads games slower than off of retail carts. It doesn't compute!

RedSwirl

I said dayum. Unless Nintendo releases every further 1st party 3ds game on eshop in additional to retail, there is no need for that much space.

Nintendo just confirmed they will, and a lot of 3rd party 3DS games are gonna go digital same day as retail too.

Drago

a lot of 3rd party 3DS games are gonna go digital same day as retail too.

Is there a list? As far as I'm aware I don't think any 3rd party has announced digital versions along their retail copies. It's just Nintendo so far who will be showing full support for digital releases going forward

Hale-XF11

Pilotwings, being as small as it is, is the perfect candidate for re-release on the eShop with extra stuff + DLC, like some place else to go that's not Wuhu Island.

RedSwirl

Is there a list? As far as I'm aware I don't think any 3rd party has announced digital versions along their retail copies. It's just Nintendo so far who will be showing full support for digital releases going forward

There's a short list somewhere. It was during one of the previous briefings from Nintendo, may have been a Nintendo Direct.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/29204306/nintendo-steps-the-eshop-up-third-party-3ds-games-will-also-be-sold-on-eshop

Kingdom Hearts 3D
Castlevania
Epic Mickey Power if Illusion
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Awesome. I've planned on getting NSMB2 off the eshop rather than buying a cartridge and though I have plenty of space, it's nice to know that should I ever get a bigger card (as well as a 3DSXL in the future) that I can use a card like this if I go solely DD.

Blocks are kind of redundant at that point. They were fine when people had to worry about 128 KILOBYTES of save storage. Now, why?

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Wait, this trick won't work with the Wii U because the FAT32 format doesn't support files bigger than 4GB. Nintendo might get around this limitation by splitting their backup format but I really doubt they'll do something like that.

Top Bottom