• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh |OT2| You Can Be My Yojimbo Anytime

illamap

Are dexterity and magic worth leveling up if i don't care about that kind of gameplay. If i don't does it make some bosses or enemies too hard. Also how much i should level up spirit?

Soar

Are dexterity and magic worth leveling up if i don't care about that kind of gameplay. If i don't does it make some bosses or enemies too hard. Also how much i should level up spirit?

To gain access to all the mastery missions in the dojo you will need at least 20 points. In terms of bosses you can kill them a bit faster with the right elemental attacks and the sloth magic debuff. I think the best reason to level both dex and magic is to access the passive skills in the corresponding trees. Being able to carry around more elixirs for example. As for spirit it depends if you want to take advantage of the late game and dlc guardians. They need 25-30 spirit to fully unlock their abilities.

thebigword

Neo Member
I finally got the Platinum on this game yesterday and I've been playing since release. This game has become one of my favorite games of all time and I've been gaming for over 30 years. It's like Onimusha, Dark Souls, and Ninja Gaiden Black all rolled into one game. The presentation reminds me of the PS2 era. I loved everything from the setting, characters, bosses, the different weapons and stances, and map design.

Can't wait to see what they do with the sequel. Now to conquer the rest of the dlc.

Soar

Has a sequel been confirmed? Also I wish they would release 5hr dlcs where we get to play as Okatsu and/or Hanzo to see their side of the story and their relationship with their spirit guardians. Just got the skins and would love to play a more stealthy version with their skillsets.

This game is just fantastic.

thebigword

Neo Member
Has a sequel been confirmed? Also I wish they would release 5hr dlcs where we get to play as Okatsu and/or Hanzo to see their side of the story and their relationship with their spirit guardians. Just got the skins and would love to play a more stealthy version with their skillsets.

This game is just fantastic.

I don't think a sequel's been confirmed, I just assume there will be one, considering the game's success.

Fandangox

Wow Co-op is so good for leveling up, Had Saoirse as a secondary, got summoned into Isle of Demons on Way of the Demon and we killed everything and got like 20 million amrita.

I don't think a sequel's been confirmed, I just assume there will be one, considering the game's success.

I think I remember them saying that the game sold beyond there expectations and if a sequal was to be made it wouldn't be about Japanese Samurai and maybe a different location and time period.

I am having a really hard time finding gloves with inherent attack up effect. During early release I had a ton but now that I've moved on to new gear I can't find any and I really don't want to soul match my old gear.

Soar

Yeah would love to see the same formula being applied to medieval europe and it's mythologies. Imagine fighting the entire knights of the round table, Arthur or even Jeane o'Arc, Charlamagne and the likes. Lot's of content and possibilities there.

Still want Okatsu/Hanzo dlc/expansion though.

thebigword

Neo Member
Wow, the difficulty has definitely been bumped up a notch in Defiant Honor. The new enemies hit hard, and existing enemies from the base game are harder to beat now.

And, holy shit at
ninja dogs
. Scared the hell out of me when they first jumped at me, lol. Wasn't expecting them at all.

Soar

That's good to hear. I completed the first dlc and have been putting the second one off by doing Way of the Demon missions because I want to do play dlc 2 and 3 at one go as they both deal with the siege on Osaka, albeit across 6 months.

Just bought dark souls 3, and finally decided to change the input config for Nioh as you can't do that on the soulsborne games. Man, takes awhile getting used to as R1/R2 isn't as comfortable as square/triangle. I played bloodborne by mentally switching around but my muscle memory suffers a bit as a result.

Thorrgal

Ok so after playing the Alfa and the Beta I finally bough NiOh last sale and started playing it yesterday. I haven't read anything since, but the game is much easier, right?

I remember the trash being much harder, with more mobs etc. I had to ki pulse, change stances, plan every encounter...whereas now I just fly through the map. I didn't even die once on the third area.

Is the general consensus that it's too easy? Or will the game get harder as it progresses? Just killed Tachibana.

Mb the beta rewards were a curse in disguise..

Edit: I have to say that I'm loving the game so far.

Pompadour

Ok so after playing the Alfa and the Beta I finally bough NiOh last sale and started playing it yesterday. I haven't read anything since, but the game is much easier, right?

I remember the trash being much harder, with more mobs etc. I had to ki pulse, change stances, plan every encounter...whereas now I just fly through the map. I didn't even die once on the third area.

Is the general consensus that it's too easy? Or will the game get harder as it progresses? Just killed Tachibana.

Mb the beta rewards were a curse in disguise..

Edit: I have to say that I'm loving the game so far.

They made the game a bit easier than the betas but it does get harder.

thebigword

Neo Member
Is there a release date for the 3rd DLC? Getting bored with The Surge...

I don't think a release date has been announced yet.

Also, yeah it gets harder the further you get into it. There's also the Twilight missions that are harder, plus Nioh has it's own versions of new game +. Although there are certain elements that can make the game easier, like investing in magic.

illamap

They made the game a bit easier than the betas but it does get harder.

I had shit ton of problems with beta, but in full game not so much, mainly due to ki dodge skill, better gear and overall just getting more used to the game. Short thoughts on the game so far: Mobs are bit tedious to fight since they are heavily recycled, areas themselves sometimes good and sometimes too confusing because they are made out of samey elements, without unique points to orient oneself. Most of the bosses are pretty fun though, and no i wasn't looking for some extreme challenge so they are pretty good difficulty wise. Just beat
ogress.

Soar

Yeah they should remove sloth imo, though most bosses aren't afflicted long enough to matter if you don't learn their move sets anyway. Sloth really is only effective vs strong mobs. And Tengu, fuck Tengus. That said I don't use it anymore, because I kept forgetting to do so.

I really want to see the next weapon type, if it's coming with the final dlc.

thebigword

Neo Member
Yeah they should remove sloth imo, though most bosses aren't afflicted long enough to matter if you don't learn their move sets anyway. Sloth really is only effective vs strong mobs. And Tengu, fuck Tengus. That said I don't use it anymore, because I kept forgetting to do so.

I really want to see the next weapon type, if it's coming with the final dlc.

Lol, I can't stand Tengus. I fucking hate em! Them and the wheelmonks. Whenever I see either one of them I get real nervous...

Soar

Lol, I can't stand Tengus. I fucking hate em! Them and the wheelmonks. Whenever I see either one of them I get real nervous...

The mission where
they double team you
was a barrel of fun. On other news, config E with similar dark souls buttons didn't work for me, found the default much more comfortable to use due to the way the combos are structured. Will just have to switch mentally when playing DS3/BB.

thebigword

Neo Member
The mission where
they double team you
was a barrel of fun. On other news, config E with similar dark souls buttons didn't work for me, found the default much more comfortable to use due to the way the combos are structured. Will just have to switch mentally when playing DS3/BB.

I found that I can only play one or the other. When The Ringed City DLC for DS3 came out I had to set Nioh aside until I finished it.

Soar

Yeah wheelmonks is one enemy where you definitely can't be greedy because they probably have the highest dps in the game when rolling on your face haha, it's ludicrous. I tried a mission in Way of the Strong where you had to fight a Nue and a tengu at the same time. Spirit gauge was empty with wrong consumables so I rubbed my himorogi branch furiously and noped out of there.

Fandangox

Wheelmonks are some of the easier yokai, if you are fighting them on an open space they are basically free, cause you can just hit them on their amrita eye every time to knock them down. As long as you are careful you should be fine, because they CAN kill you very fast with that move where they kind of just start pushing into you slowly.

Pompadour

Wheelmonks are some of the easier yokai, if you are fighting them on an open space they are basically free, cause you can just hit them on their amrita eye every time to knock them down. As long as you are careful you should be fine, because they CAN kill you very fast with that move where they kind of just start pushing into you slowly.

They're one of the more trivial enemies if you run a Shuriken/Kunai build. I mean, most enemies are trivial with that build but that weakness persists in WotD and WotW whereas that build doesn't melt everything like it does in WotS.

Fandangox

They're one of the more trivial enemies if you run a Shuriken/Kunai build. I mean, most enemies are trivial with that build but that weakness persists in WotD and WotW whereas that build doesn't melt everything like it does in WotS.

I find that guns just completely trivialize them, not sure if their whole body is their weakpoint when it comes to gun damage, but they eat a lot of damage per shot.

Fandangox

Yeah well, they are often not in that...

Well they aren't still really that hard on closed space, in narrower paths they are kind of annoying, but the worst out of it is that you can't really dodge around and hit them in their eye, but really they are a lot more dangerous when they are in part of a group, but then again, this really applies to any enemy.

I feel the female ghost yokai is a lot more annoying to fight because getting hit once with the sloth attack just makes the fight a complete shore.

Jamiaro

How much of an impact does the PS4 PRO have on Nioh? I haven't played Nioh in months and I've gotten an OLED-Tv recently. I'm planning on getting the Pro soon.

Soar

How much of an impact does the PS4 PRO have on Nioh? I haven't played Nioh in months and I've gotten an OLED-Tv recently. I'm planning on getting the Pro soon.

I played it on the Pro with the performance settings and it's buttery smooth. According to Digital Foundry this is the best way to play it. There are times where you notice that the resolution is lower when there is too much on the screen, i.e. snowing and looking at like 20 kodamas at the shrine but for 99% of the time its fine. I am using a 4K monitor if it makes any difference.

I'm going to have to give in and research strategies for Hino-enma. I ran into this brick wall back on release and put it on the shelf. I picked it back up over the weekend, started over and got back to Hino-enma, same results.

I've been stuck on bosses in other games before, Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, etc., but this boss is something else. What pisses me off is that it feels like I've mastered everything I'm supposed to be good at and I basically have every sword skill unlocked along with a bunch of ninjitsu and magic, and none of that seems to matter.

Soar

I'm going to have to give in and research strategies for Hino-enma. I ran into this brick wall back on release and put it on the shelf. I picked it back up over the weekend, started over and got back to Hino-enma, same results.

I've been stuck on bosses in other games before, Ninja Gaiden, Dark Souls, etc., but this boss is something else. What pisses me off is that it feels like I've mastered everything I'm supposed to be good at and I basically have every sword skill unlocked along with a bunch of ninjitsu and magic, and none of that seems to matter.

I was at the same place as you months ago and a Gaffer helped me out. Now I can reliably one shot her even at high difficulties.

Tips:
Ground phase:
- Stay at a range where she can't reach you with her melee abilities.
- Dash right or left when you hear her start to cast her paralytic blast.
- Bait her to run towards you.
- If she does her wing twirl that produces yokai realm, go in and punish with a couple of hits when she is done. Takes some practice.
Flight phase:
- Dash right or left again to avoid paralytic blast.
- Block or dodge her kunais attack, which always comes in two waves. You can shoot her or kunai her back for sweet damage here.
- When she does her superman swoop, dodge last minute and punish, or block.

Rinse and repeat, pop your spirit guardian when she is around 10% and reap the rewards. Hotkey acupuncture needles for when you get caught. She is weak to lightning.

Baalzebup

I'll re-post this, again:
Here is a very useful Hino Enma vid made by a Gaffer:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=OCXa1ROvZig

That is such a brilliant video for anyone struggling with the Hino Enma boss. Keeps it simple throughout the tutorial, focuses on the boss telegraphs and not going too in depth. Great for when you're learning the game and mechanics.
The should be more than enough to jumpstart gittin' gut at Hino-Enma. Specific armor or gear recommendations tend to be kind of moot since the playerbase has such a wildly differing preferences.

Soar

Thanks. I hesitate to look up strats or ask for help, but fuck it at this point. I've gotten close, I'm sure with those strats I'll get it.

Have fun!

On another topic, does anyone know what are +divine levels on accessories for? They can't be reforged or soul matched as far as I know.

Baalzebup

Have fun!

On another topic, does anyone know what are +divine levels on accessories for? They can't be reforged or soul matched as far as I know.
They don't have a similar utility as the +# values in other divine and ethereal gear for upgrading purposes, but they are still values that add to or complement basic item level where their basic stats are concerned, so at least the basic Defense value of the accessories will benefit from the +# values, much like your armor. Bigger numbers are always better and all that jazz.

Soar

They don't have a similar utility as the +# values in other divine and ethereal gear for upgrading purposes, but they are still values that add to or complement basic item level where their basic stats are concerned, so at least the basic Defense value of the accessories will benefit from the +# values, much like your armor. Bigger numbers are always better and all that jazz.

Thanks very much!

Milijango

Beat the first Defiant Honour mission. Pretty bland overall, though I suppose it at least has a stronger, more unified theme than all those burning villages. Boss definitely redeemed it; I don't know if people still hate tonfas but they were really fun for that fight.

usp84

Well i had given up on the
Dragon Boss
when i first played this in February but somehow tonight i returned and managed to beat the last two bosses.

I just wanted to get this monkey off my back you can say.

Great game but I don't think ever want to replay it.

Hopefully Nioh 2 will have better levels and less shitty bosses.

mewmew42

Need coop help please for lvl 80+ and beyond

Feel free to add or share your psn

PSN id: DeducibleTiger

I hit the glass ceiling for this game, can't git gud anymore

I can play dark souls, bloodborne, absolver, Mario 3d world, monster hunter decently

But this game

tried summoning but no summons after 15 minutes

Soar

Need coop help please for lvl 80+ and beyond

Feel free to add or share your psn

PSN id: DeducibleTiger

I hit the glass ceiling for this game, can't git gud anymore

I can play dark souls, bloodborne, absolver, Mario 3d world, monster hunter decently

But this game

tried summoning but no summons after 15 minutes

Which boss are you stuck at? I'll see if I can help.

mewmew42

Which boss are you stuck at? I'll see if I can help.

I haven't even reach the boss, just at second shrine/bonfire

The level is 80+, third region

Please add me in game or send PSN message, am stuck at library now :(

Tyvm look forward to some coop action soon

illamap

Nioh being basicly finished i decided to write a small review of the game.
I haven't actually defeated Yamata-No-Orochi yet, but i feel like it is still enough to write a small review

First of all combat. I think it was initially bit cumbersome but once you unlock ki-dodge it becomes much more enjoyable, because Ki pulse is pretty important in terms of tempo of the combat. I couldn't really use r1 ki pulse because my fingers wouldn't really rest on naturally especially on triangle button when pressing r1, maybe my fingers are too short or something. Regardless r1 ki pulse required too much of gymnastics for me to enjoy it. Same with the stances, went through the entire game almost exclusively on mid stance since i didn't really see the point of other stances. Sure there is probably some statistical reason to use other stances depending on the enemy, but why bother if it is like 10-20% more efficient way to take down enemy.

Regardless i enjoyed core combat, it is at the end of the day much like soulsborne series even though regular mobs are bit spongier than in sb series but it is not a huge issue by any means. Enemy variety was lacking but it didn't really bother me. Bosses were fairly easy or medium, but i wasn't looking for some extreme challenge so most of it was fine.

Combat also has ninjutsu and magic, but like in dark souls i don't usually find these all that fun mechanics and that was the case here too. I feel like there was also way too many stats and skills but you can ignore those for the most part.

Story i couldn't really follow even though i tried. But it doesn't really bother me whatsoever since games with stories i have enjoyed are counted in one hand.

Loot was pretty pointless, there was too much of it, hardly any of it viable and best gear on my playthrough at least was obtainable via revenants and it wasn't worth it to grind it in earlier levels rather it was better to progress to higher missions.

Mission levels weren't really interesting to traverse and explore, sometimes they were made out of samey elements without memorable landmarks so they were sometimes even confusing.

All in all Nioh is a good game. I put over 30 hours to it and i am kind of picky gamer so that speaks for itself. Is it repetitive? Yes, but unlike most i don't consider being repetitive a bad thing unless it is also not engaging and doesn't have enough depth to improve your skills, ultimately for me gaming is usually about mastering said repetition while having fun.

Hybris

All in all Nioh is a good game. I put over 30 hours to it and i am kind of picky gamer so that speaks for itself. Is it repetitive? Yes, but unlike most i don't consider being repetitive a bad thing unless it is also not engaging and doesn't have enough depth to improve your skills, ultimately for me gaming is usually about mastering said repetition while having fun.

Maybe you wouldn't find it as repetitive if you didn't ignore the majority of mechanics and skills in the game :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Quick question, are the DLCs necessary in order to get geared up? I mean, how much more geared up do you get in the DLC Compared to vanilla

Baalzebup

Quick question, are the DLCs necessary in order to get geared up? I mean, how much more geared up do you get in the DLC Compared to vanilla
The DLCs introduce greatly elevated item and +# value levels, increased level caps, a new quality tier at the 4th difficulty and new specials, some of which are limited to the new Ethereal tier of gear. So yes, given the current state of the game, prepping for what one would consider to become Niohs endgame does very much require the DLCs

Milijango

So I've done 1.5 playthroughs of this game without realising that the perfect ki pulse skills were translated incorrectly. If you get a perfect pulse in mid stance, you can block the next incoming attack for free (and dodge in low stance for free but that's pretty pointless). That's incredibly useful and also infuriating to know that the description is still busted after dozens of patches.

Top Bottom