• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just borrowed $40,000 and want to start a business. Ideas?

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
where's he gonna sell it at? a lemonade stand in front of his house?

he needs retail space and a venue that would bring in customers. preferably something shiny and lounge-like to warrant a lot of visitors and regulars etc.

what if he just sells bubble tea futures on the internet

Izuna

Banned
I can't believe this title is serious. Oh OP what is you doing?

The point is to put in all the work you don't need to spend money for first then get the business loan to push you through any hurdles. You don't know if you have the motivation to being anything to life.

d9b

Banned
Sell homemade lemonade by the glass in front of your house to complete strangers while wearing fedora and a trench coat.
$40k should be enough to get you going. Do it!

Harmen

Borrow more money and divide it over all members that posted in this thread, it will make you very popular on NeoGaf.

Just dawned on me, how did you manage to borrow money without having any business proposition? Usually that's how you get to borrow money.

Theonik

Just dawned on me, how did you manage to borrow money without having any business proposition? Usually that's how you get to borrow money.
Banks don't care about your business case they care more about your assets they can use as a guarantee for that debt. The OP has a lot of property which makes him an ideal customer for the bank.

deleted

This sounds very interesting OP. I love me some quirky business ideas.

Just to get a grasp on this though - how would you actually pay for the ongoing futures?
Would you be buying the cards behind the scenes and sell them later to have something worth something? Or would you finance the whole endeavour with the money you'd get for the futures fee?

It could be exceptionally expensive in the beginning, right? With only a small crowd jumping onboard and most likely people that are very knowledgeable on the cards, they would most likely earn more than you'd get, right?

BTW: I'm also on the "Give your money back if it doesn't work out" group. But it doesn't sound like something that couldn't work.

You're supposed to have a proper plan with market research first and foremost. ...If your plan has fallen through, you should give it back.

So give it back and say you weren't going to be able to make it work, then go back to the drawing board.

If it were me, I'd swing trade penny stocks with Robin Hood, assuming you are in the US. And by penny stocks I mean stocks under $5 a share. And by stocks under $5 a share I mean under valued stocks that pay dividends.

Swing trade for small profits of 1 to 2% a week then buy and hold for the next dividend pay out. Buy with 10k, if the stock jumps down buy more once it bottoms to average down your cost per share. Limit buy and sell. Sell at a 1 cent profit per share if you need to, but quite a few stocks fluctuate 5% or more a week.

20k x .01 = $200

You could just invest in resources like water, but I'm not sure the money you would make on slow moving investments would cover the interest you are paying. Unless you swing trade those too.

It's a legit job, and one I do now on the side, but on a much smaller scale. 2.5k is all I have until late next year. It takes discipline, patience, and research.

You could also create an Amazon store, I've never done it but I hear you can make money doing it. Buy lots from China let Amazon store and ship.

dh4niel

I know this was going to be bad the second I read the title. If you have no idea what to do with 40k give it back asap before you mess your life up.

Galang

Banned
Just what? How does one even reach this conclusion without any plan? And then to ask people to give you business ideas? If people legit have good business ideas they'll keep it to themselves for their own businesses... you're not going to find your answer from strangers. This topic legit bothers me

By the way, you bought three houses on a pizza delivery salary? I don't believe you.

He went into detail before, he got a loan from his now departed grandma, that was fogiven as a result. Was only like 10k though so not sure how that worked. Used the house to get a mortgage to buy another and pay it forward like that. He stopped because of the financial crisis at 3 houses.

Ark

So you took out 40k without an idea, and want GAF to give you an idea to live on? Wtf.

Return the money.

Sulik2

Return the money until you have an actual idea and a budget. 40K is nothing to start a business. Most business you need to be able to lose money for three years before you turn a profit.

Or just buy a bunch of crypto currency and see what happens. ARK, Bitcoin and ETH and you are probably safe.

SilentRob

Can he just return it, though? When we loaned money from the bank to start a business we also signed a contract obligating us to pay interest in a very specific amount of time over several years. I'm preeeetty sure the bank would have told us to fuck right off if we just went "Nah, we don't want it anymore"?

Also, the money was bound to what we proposed to the bank. We couldn't just use it for whatever, we could use it for exactly what we told the bank. Maybe that's just different in the US?

Top Bottom