• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Battlefield 4 Details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Definitely don't want them in CQ or Rush

You mean the special weapons scattered around on maps? I don't think they've said very much about them.

Not sure what I think of them to be honest.

I just hope Dice never again makes maps with "tunnel" action. Where two sides are forced through linear areas with spawns on either side and vehicles going at each other...

There should ALWAYS be a tactical ability to flank in a BF game.

New commander mode details

There are basically two ecosystems/loops running in parallel when you play as the Commander: the squad loop and the main Commander assets loop. On top of these you always have a basic palette of assets available to support your ground troops.

This basic palette includes UAVs for scanning and EMPs (jamming), as well as the Cruise Missile Warning, which designates an area where the enemy missile will strike, allowing your friendly troops to move out of harm’s way before it’s too late.

In addition to this, you’ll also be able to designate High Value Targets, useful for pointing out especially dangerous enemies on the battlefield. An enemy on a kill streak of six or more will appear on the Commander’s screen as a selectable unit. This player’s location can be relayed to the entire team for a period of time (45 seconds at the moment). The Commander can add this aspect to a game where most players will shift focus for a while and hunt/protect this HVT player, as both teams are alerted about this Commander “promotion” when it happens. The attackers will receive additional bonuses when taking out said target, while the target will receive bonuses when performing kills while being HVT – thus both parties have something to gain from this. GTA’s classic “wanted stars” system is what we used as an inspiration for this, we think the highly skilled players will accept this challenge as the ultimate proof of becoming a lethal threat on the battlefield. As far as personal favorites go, the High Value Target is probably mine for the rush you get when you know that potentially the entire team is after you!

Main Assets Loop
These assets can be obtained by your team by owning the objectives and are gone once the objectives are lost/destroyed. The more aggressive and impact-heavy assets are located here. Depending on map and game mode, these are:

-The Cruise Missile – launched from fixed positions on the map, they will fly at cruising altitude before dropping in an arc at the designated point, wiping out anything in the vicinity. Their power is substantial, and this is why a good Commander will use the Cruise Missile Warning asset whenever possible.
-Two types of Map Scans – Vehicle and Infantry Scan, used for long-term highlighting of enemy units on the map for your team.
-Finally, the AC-130 Gunship – as seen in the Commander Mode videos and in BF3’s Armored Kill, this powerful plane provides ground support from multiple weapons, as well as a mobile spawn point covering a large section of the map.

Squad Loop
These assets are earned in a similar way to Field Upgrades for your squad, so an experienced squad player will feel right at home with these: all the Commander scoring events are fed into the Squad Assets bar.

Each asset costs 1, 2, 3 or 4 chunks of the bar. On a maxed bar, the Commander can use the most expensive asset or four of the least expensive asset, depending on the situation at hand. Similar to the Squad Wipe, a chunk of this bar will be depleted when the asset is used – again, having a similarity to the squad field upgrade bar was important for us when designing this.

The assets available in this loop are:

-Squad Promotion – boost the squad members’ individual field upgrade bars towards the next unlock.
-Vehicle Drop – deploy a Quad Bike or a light Boat (depending on terrain) via parachute.
-Rapid Deploy – cut the squad’s spawn time in half for a fixed period of time.
-Supply Drop: deploy a large crate that will heal, resupply and repair friendly units. In addition, friendly units will be able to change kits on the field which we think is an interesting tactical addition to the game.

Proelite

About the player models posted a few pages back...

I am assuming BF4 chinese faction is some secret special operatives with lots of freedom to wear any gear they want, since they're donning lots of SWAT gear. Ski mask isn't even proper standard military gear.

Prelithe

Not a fan of the HVT stuff to be honest. If you play good, then you are rewarded by dying quicker because people will be after you. I guess it all depends on what the bonuses are, but not liking the sound of it.

mr_nothin

Banned
THat cruise missile sounds a little cheap.

I hope it isn't too overpowered.

They need to have it like the artillery guns in BF2 where you could sneak in and take out the actual artillery guns and disable them. You could do this for the UAV also. Hopefully they have that stuff too

I hope DICE has some "Non-Commander" servers at launch if Commander Mode turns out to bad.

We cant have nice things :(
I still do not like the ac-130 mobile spawning point bullshit.

The Flash

Banned
New map from latest Road to Battlefield 4 Blog
98taQ8w.jpg

This is probably the map that has the dam in it that was in the levolution trailer. If you look closely you can see a submarine as one of the assets.

xJ3qQht.jpg

nOoblet16

I absolutely hated the unlock system in BF3, it was such a chore and took so much time. I preferred it like it was n Bad company games, nothing too quick but not painfully slow and a chore either. I was almost always at a disadvantage because I don't have as much time to play as I used to 3-4 years ago, so I had to make do with the low level weapons which while still being decent enough used to get boring quickly because I like to play different classes whenever I felt like but the levelling system made it so that I had to force myself to stick to one class otherwise I would have pretty much fuck all equipment to use.

I don't exactly remember how it used to be in BF2 and 2142 (still my fav BF game of all time eventhough I didn't play it as much) though. Also I hope them make a sequel to BF2142 someday.

Warablo

Have DICE stated if Battle Pickups are across all modes?

I'm not positive, but I thought I heard Bach or some other dev on the stream say its only for Obliteration mode or w/e that bomb game mode is called... Don't take my word though..

132 weapon camos confirmed by these new screenshots: http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/17003/article/bf4-weapon-camos-guide/

And they don't even show the end of the misc. tab. :)

I wanted this for BF 3, glad we get camo... Also glad they have a adaptive camo option that changes based on the map you are on...

I just hope Dice never again makes maps with "tunnel" action. Where two sides are forced through linear areas with spawns on either side and vehicles going at each other...

There should ALWAYS be a tactical ability to flank in a BF game.

This.

This is what always tipped the balance for me, in terms of BF being superior to most other FPS games. Approach things YOUR way, and not being funnelled in by lazy game devs.

vixlar

Has DICE even explained Battle Pickups?

What I understand, but maybe I'm wrong, is that now the upgrades you win are not linear. They are somehow random. So when, for example, when you reach level 7, instead of earning Forest Cammo, you earn a battle pack, that may contain a cammo, a weapon, a dogtag, etc.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
New map from latest Road to Battlefield 4 Blog

This is probably the map that has the dam in it that was in the levolution trailer. If you look closely you can see a submarine as one of the assets.

xJ3qQht.jpg
FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING THAT IS HOLY AND SACRED!!!!!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
What I understand, but maybe I'm wrong, is that now the upgrades you win are not linear. They are somehow random. So when, for example, when you reach level 7, instead of earning Forest Cammo, you earn a battle pack, that may contain a cammo, a weapon, a dogtag, etc.

Those are Battlepacks and not Battle Pickups. :)

Yep, DICE has commented on them but not in-depth. Battle Pickups will be super-powerful weapons available in a specific part of a map. For Siege of Shanghai, it will be on the top of the collapsible building (M82 sniper rifle). This sniper can one-hit kill anyone regardless where you hit them and can even take out light-armored vehicles, choppers, etc.

However, to maintain balance, DICE has made it that so that these Battle Pickup weapons CANNOT be resupplied. In short one magazine and that's it.

Hope that helps. Another Battle Pickup I remember is in Paracel Storm, which is the Saiga with frag rounds or something.

About the player models posted a few pages back...

I am assuming BF4 chinese faction is some secret special operatives with lots of freedom to wear any gear they want, since they're donning lots of SWAT gear. Ski mask isn't even proper standard military gear.

I don't like it that much, yeah they look really cool but they just don't look like the Chinese military.
They fixed the Russians this time and they look extremely Russian, Americans look American.
Chinese just look like asian mercenaries.

Raven77

Apparently this new option where someone "doing good" is tagged on everyones map was INSPIRED BY GRAND THEFT AUTO...wtf. As a long time BF player, i'm not sure how I feel about this.

http://www.nizulo.com/2013/09/dice-reveals-commander-mode-details-gta-inspired-feature/

“An enemy on a kill streak of six or more will appear on the Commander’s screen as a selectable unit,” says DICE. This player’s location can be relayed to the entire team for a period of time (45 seconds at the moment). The Commander can add this aspect to a game where most players will shift focus for a while and hunt/protect this HVT player, as both teams are alerted about this Commander “promotion” when it happens. The attackers will receive additional bonuses when taking out said target, while the target will receive bonuses when performing kills while being HVT – thus both parties have something to gain from this.”

The High Value Targets feature was part inspired by GTA’s wanted system.

“GTA’s classic ‘wanted stars’ system is what we used as an inspiration for this, we think the highly skilled players will accept this challenge as the ultimate proof of becoming a lethal threat on the battlefield. As far as personal favorites go, the High Value Target is probably mine for the rush you get when you know that potentially the entire team is after you!”

The spotting is out of control enough as it is turning the game into a "look for the neon Dorito" as opposed to looking for the player himself.

JJD

Those are Battlepacks and not Battle Pickups. :)

Yep, DICE has commented on them but not in-depth. Battle Pickups will be super-powerful weapons available in a specific part of a map. For Siege of Shanghai, it will be on the top of the collapsible building (M82 sniper rifle). This sniper can one-hit kill anyone regardless where you hit them and can even take out light-armored vehicles, choppers, etc.

However, to maintain balance, DICE has made it that so that these Battle Pickup weapons CANNOT be resupplied. In short one magazine and that's it.

Hope that helps. Another Battle Pickup I remember is in Paracel Storm, which is the Saiga with frag rounds or something.

Pre nerf???

Ohhhh shit! I trolled to many people with it on BF3!

JJD

Apparently this new option where someone "doing good" is tagged on everyones map was INSPIRED BY GRAND THEFT AUTO...wtf. As a long time BF player, i'm not sure how I feel about this.

http://www.nizulo.com/2013/09/dice-reveals-commander-mode-details-gta-inspired-feature/

The spotting is out of control enough as it is turning the game into a "look for the neon Dorito" as opposed to looking for the player himself.

Don't like it too.

Why punish people that are doing their job?

Marking a player on the whole opposing team radar in the hopes that they hunt him down will only make the opposing team neglect the objectives and lose the game.

When playing with PS3 GAF it's not unusual to have 2 or even 3 guys on a 6 or more kill streak. Who will be tagged? Everyone???

When I get tagged for the other team I'll just run away from the objectives and let the rest of the GAF team do their job.

olympia

I'm so stoked for more MCOM trolling. In BFBC2 me and my friends would just throw our C4 onto the remote helicopter drone and kamikaze it into the MCOM buildings. Lol

I'm so stoked for more MCOM trolling. In BFBC2 me and my friends would just throw our C4 onto the remote helicopter drone and kamikaze it into the MCOM buildings. Lol

Woah woah woah.

Are you implying that you've read that MCOMs can be destroyed if they take enough damage/a building collapses on them?

Sauce now.

vixlar

Don't like it too.

Marking a player on the whole opposing team radar in the hopes that they hunt him down will only make the opposing team neglect the objectives and lose the game.

When playing with PS3 GAF it's not unusual to have 2 or even 3 guys on a 6 or more kill streak. Who will be tagged? Everyone???

When I get tagged for the other team I'll just run away from the objectives and let the rest of the GAF team do their job.

It says that you can only chose one objective.

And I don't see why this decision would punish people who are playing for the objective. The people who is arming comms is not always the person who is killing most. Maybe that way you can track force that sniper out of reach to change positions. If you are against a not well organized team, and go into a killstreak, you can be "the magnet" so all the rival team try to hunt you while your partners are trying to arm the comm.

Seems like a commander "power" that'll probably have a cool down. Similar to tagging as a commander on BF2, only if he's a High Value Target it'll last 45 seconds instead of 10.

VariantX

Don't like it too.

Well if they do it like in homefront, it does not give away your exact position, only points out that a high value target is in the general area on the map. So rather than have people hunting you, it just puts them on high alert.

jaaz

It's also optional. The commander has to tag the player with the high value target tag. The player doesn't automatically gain "wanted stars" or anything. A decent commander won't tag the player arbitrarily.

Remmy2112

lol what?

Did the guy counter stab him and take one of his magazines?

Is that a glitch?

Looks like a glitch. The magazine is supposed to be a dog tag, since that is what you rip off people anytime there is a knife kill... unless that's a new mechanic where someone alone and out of ammo can try to pull off a knife kill to restock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom