• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Gamingbolt: Xbox One sales at 26 million"

mejin

it's close
XB360 was at 28.5m shipped at the end of full year 3 or 38 months on the market

that superdata estimate is also an end of 2016 estimate. not a week 2 of january 2017 estimate. why would they do that?

Probably because its almost 26M for XBO too.

GHG

Okay, but the rest of the world isn't anything to shout about, marketwise. It's always weird to me when people bring this up. The US alone is the biggest market (not counting China, but we're talking console sales, and most of China's money is mobile/PC iirc) by a huge margin. The other markets combined barely make a dent in that.

"But it didn't do well in the rest of the world" is literally a meaningless statement.

So... where is it?

What an embarrassing post. If it's not satire I genuinely feel pity for you.

Just 974 millions to 1 billion! They can do it! =P

Funny how things change huh? They've gone from saying "we want to appeal to everyone" to "we only want to appeal to Xbox fans". Why they ever thought Xbox would mean anything other than gaming to the mass market I will never know.

Kill3r7

Okay, but the rest of the world isn't anything to shout about, marketwise. It's always weird to me when people bring this up. The US alone is the biggest market (not counting China, but we're talking console sales, and most of China's money is mobile/PC iirc) by a huge margin. The other markets combined barely make a dent in that.

"But it didn't do well in the rest of the world" is literally a meaningless statement.

Well given the relatively small difference between PS4 and X1 sales in the US and UK, the rest of the world must be significant enough to allow Sony to arguably double the amount of consoles sold vs X1.

Crayon

I'm trying to find The Rest of the World on Google Earth right now but I can't find it. It must be really tiny.

Wasn't Xbox360's sales kinda mediocre the first couple of years anyway? It started selling really well after Kinect etc. But maybe the same will happen with the Scorpio..

Humdinger

It says almost, which is clearly in the ballpark of Sony's 53.4 million claim as of Jan 1. What's clearly wrong?

Well, if they're rounding up, that would be "almost" 54, not almost 55.

There's something funny about the fact that they're diverging 1.6 mil from Sony's own figures.

The sheer arrogance of this picture always gets me

Like, their bragging was totally justified tbh, but god damn

There's nothing arrogant about this picture and it's not bragging- it's 100% brutal marketing to show consumers and third parties that there's only one console which matters.

StereoVsn

Well given the relatively small difference between PS4 and X1 sales in the US and UK, the rest of the world must be significant enough to allow Sony to arguably double the amount of consoles sold vs X1.
Let's not let math disrupt that narrative!

Humdinger

im surprised it isnt wiiu level considering the collossal fuck up with the reveal

Well, I'm no Microsoft fan, but I will say that they are a lot better at adapting to negative feedback than Nintendo is. Had they not done rapid 180s on most of their plans, you'd have seen a Wii U level disaster.

Do you really think that is the logic MS uses? lol. Microsoft is going to hype and market where they are strong, which is NA. They would love to sell better globally, but they also aren't stupid. It's not logic, it's business.
It makes sense for MS to focus on NA first, it's their core market and they have a solid ground to grow unlike the rest of theworld where they basically have to start from from the bottom. Their best strategy is retaking NA, then expand worldwide.

ethomaz

Banned
Sold estimates at the same period...

PS4: 53.4m as end of 2016
PS3: ~30m as Feb 2010
360: 28m as end of 2008
XB1: ~26m as end of 2016

PS4 worldwide sales are up year-on-year. Not bad considering all the rumors and uncertainty surrounding a "new" model.

2015: 17.4
2016: 17.5

Has Microsoft said anything about being up in their press statements?

Whats the record for most sold in a year? Did PS2 and Wii ever do 20+ in a single year?

Apathy

I'm trying to find The Rest of the World on Google Earth right now but I can't find it. It must be really tiny.
What's a Canada?

1070268.jpg

Sorry had to squish in the text for effect

Isn't that the place with igloos and Polar Bears?

You're thinking of alaska, we got moose, beavers, and poutine

And 28 million SOLD.

There is a big gap already between 360 and XB1... bigger than PS4 and XB1 US gap.

28m sold through? do you have a source for that?
because that number is news to me. in that case xbox one is maybe down ww over 360 after 38 months

but i find it hard to believe xb360 had only 500k units on shelf at the end of 2008 .
that is sold out territory
ps4 had 1.8m units on shelfs at the end of 2015

Stanng243

To be fair, the article says sold, it does'nt say sold through. So the 55 might be accurate, depending upon how many ps4s were on shelves at the start of the year.

I dont get what people are saying when they say this. How is a higher priced system that might be $499 or more, going to help the xbox one s sales to reach the ps4? i dont get it.

And you guys do know that by the time S scorpio comes out the ps4 will be at 199 that black friday right?.....Right?

Because...more native 4K games? Resolution FTW?

WadeitOut

Xbox 360 sold great. So I see nothing bad with the numbers.

Then again I don't own stock in video game companies like others pretend to.

Xbox 360 sold great. So I see nothing bad with the numbers.

Then again I don't own stock in video game companies like others pretend to.

Wow that salt. Many people like discussing industry trends/sales, the overall health of the industry, no need to come in with your salt and insult a bunch of people.

GHG

It makes sense for MS to focus on NA first, it's their core market and they have a solid ground to grow unlike the rest of theworld where they basically have to start from from the bottom. Their best strategy is retaking NA, then expand worldwide.

I don't believe that to necessarily be true. If you take a regional approach to your product's offering along with any branding/marketing that goes along with that then you risk backing yourself into a corner. What you can end up with is a product that is so specific and focused towards a particular region that it then becomes a huge undertaking to adapt it in order for it to be suitable for other markets.

Whereas is you take a "global first" approach to your product creation then it becomes seemless when you end up transitioning across to other markets, which allows you to have a far stronger and more consistent brand identity. That way it's less work in the long run and your product ends up being more robust. If you want a prime example of this look into the thinking behind the design philosophies and branding that went into the iPhone.

That's just my take on it.

Top Bottom