• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

phanphare

Banned
I don't really understand the criticism on lack of a web browser. I've never once dealt with a console web browser that wasn't complete ass or at the very least wasn't as convenient as just whipping out a smart phone in the middle of a gaming session. Netflix, on the other hand, is not only something that they've already done with relative ease on prior platforms of theirs, but it's also something that absolutely fits with hardware that spends at least a significant portion of its time hooked up to a TV. Why WOULDN'T you want to keep someone engaging with your hardware for longer periods by adding an app that takes so little effort on your part to support? I mean, it's not a huge loss I suppose, but if resources are so limited they can't even put out a Netflix app then I seriously wonder how the rest of this thing will pan out.

the Wii U's web browser was excellent. great for streaming.

that's not loading but I'll take your word for it
FFS

Do you really care? Anyone in this thread? For real?

You don't have 97 devices that play Netflix already? Even my mother has a netflix redundancy problem.

Honestly, you people make me sick. SICK! To my stomach and back.

I do have a ton of devices that play Netflix. Still though when taking my Switch with me I don't want to have to think, do I need to grab my iPad also in case my Kids, my wife, or I want to watch Netflix. Just seems like a weird decision at any rate.

Rizific

I've lost count of how many devices I have that can play/stream Netflix. Adding another one is quite literally useless. I don't care.

Netflix is standard on literally every Internet-connected device that has/outputs to a screen. I don't see how it and other media apps would muddy the focus; Nintendo did far more to muddy the clear messaging of the initial reveal with 1 2 Switch and the Joy-Con focus.

The Joy Con was a huge focus of the initial reveal and 1 2 Switch didn't muddy anything, except with "hardcore" gamers who believe every game on a console should appeal solely to them

Branduil

Honestly, does anyone *really* care? Was anyone honestly intending to use the Nintendo Switch at their primary method of Netflix viewing?
I don't currently have a way to watch Netflix on my TV, so sure, I would have. But I guess it's important for Nintendo to differentiate themselves from the competition by having worse app support across the board.

Kudos for product simplification and focus. This should be applauded, stop trying to be everything to everyone. The Xbox One tried this and failed.

giphy.gif

G0523

This seems like an overreaction. I'm sure the Switch will get Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, YouTube, and whatever else I can't think of eventually.

Kusagari

I mean in the end this is largely a nonissue, but it just speaks to the fact that Nintendo really seems to be rushing this thing out and just hanging on by the seat of their pants.

It gives me absolutely zero faith in their online service not ending up a disaster.

It'd be nice to have, but I can't see myself ever using it to watch Netflix anyways when I can just do the same on my phone (and use a web browser on my phone, too). If I take my Switch anywhere, it will just be to play a game, nothing else.

I'd never use my phone to watch Netflix. That's too much of a battery drain. Besides I'd take the larger screen to watch media every time.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Don't worry, Nintendo will release a paid smart device app later this year to cover for this otherwise basic feature on other devices. /s

It'd be nice to have, but I can't see myself ever using it to watch Netflix anyways when I can just do the same on my phone (and use a web browser on my phone, too). If I take my Switch anywhere, it will just be to play a game, nothing else.

Say you are traveling and you are in the hotel and don't feel like playing and would just want to watch an episode from a series you could not finish before the trip. Wouldn't you like to have the opportunity to watch Netflix then? Wouldn't it be good if you didn't have to take the iPad with you just for that or having to watch it on your phone?

I think having Netflix on this thing is super important.

The comments from others saying that a browser may not be a good idea due to vulnerability got me curious though.

Ryuuga

Banned
Confirmation of what? This Kit Ellis..

Anyway I dont use it but yeah thats an L. Wii u and switch cannot coexist since Nintendo want the switch to replace it better add some parity in some simple features.

Oh whoops missed the name. Yeah, not having it a launch is kind of a bummer, but I'd argue the people getting the most out of it aren't early adopters anyway. I use it fairly often and It'd likely be incentive for me to lug it around undocked.

I expect that if the switch does well in sales after launch these kinds of video apps will start to appear, but right now why would netflix spend the time and effort bringing the app across?

Jubenhimer

Note the key word "at launch" suggesting it'll come later down the line. Once again, Nintendo is avoiding the mistake of bloating the Switch with too many features at once on launch. The Wii U was trying to be a family fun time box, Wii successor, and media player all at once, and that's a lot of what caused it's confusion. The 3DS didn't get Netflix at launch either, it took until the fall of 2011 to get it.

antonz

Nintendo with the Switch honestly feels like a huge step backwards in many ways as far as philosophy goes.

Note the key word "at launch" suggesting it'll come later down the line. Once again, Nintendo is avoiding the mistake of bloating the Switch with too many features at once on launch. The Wii U was trying to be a family fun time box, Wii successor, and media player all at once, and that's a lot of what caused it's confusion. The 3DS didn't get Netflix at launch either, it took until the fall of 2011 to get it.

Even as a Nintendo Die Hard I know this is full of shit. The Wii U coming out 2-3 years too late is what doomed it. It was a device meant to be a big hit before Tablets etc. became normalized. By the time they bothered to get it out to market that chance had long sailed. A Wii HD as Pachter had spoke about for years would have been a wiser choice and by accounts was something they worked on before they felt they needed to Nintendo it with a tablet.

Koyuga

Have any Nintendo systems had Netflix at launch? I know Wii and 3DS didn't. Did WiiU?
I just don't understand what the problem is here, either way there are a million ways to watch netflix and youtube.

The Boat

Pretty sure they won't have much in the way of added multimedia functionality and such for a while after launch. Also doubt Netflix won't come out eventually.

Ploid 3.0

You will need a phone anyway, so just throw the netflix feed to the roku, smart tv, appletv, google tv, firestick, or whatever. You can also use your PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, PS3, etc to watch netflix. /s

TLZ

Banned
Seriously guys just wait for the holidays. Hopefully everything would be out then plus bundles, pafches etc. Fleshed out system with more games and better value.

Do you really care? Anyone in this thread? For real?

You don't have 97 devices that play Netflix already? Even my mother has a netflix redundancy problem.

Honestly, you people make me sick. SICK! To my stomach and back.

This is a lol worthy response. Why should you have to get a second device to watch Netflix instead of using the portable tablet gaming machine you just bought? This is the kind of thinking that allows Nintendo to pass off a Phone App as legitimate chat support.

rockx4

The Switch definitely needs to have multimedia apps. Even though I wouldn't use it as my main device for video streaming, it would still be nice to have access to it. Being able to use youtube or the browser without having to use my phone or ipad would be convenient. Hopefully if they'll be available after launch at least.

With the lack of MK8 at launch and talk of free trial in the summer for online, I kind of wonder if online functionality will arrive at the end of April or something, be it online gameplay or the store. I don't really do the whole browser/apps thing on consoles, but this seems like one that would make some sense.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
to bad man i will miss it.
i guess i have to use .

My:
2 laptops
my 4 phones
3 ipads
ps3
xbox 360
one
vita
wii
2 pc's
2 apple 3 tv
1 apple 4 tv
3ds
3ds xl
new 3ds xl
2ds

damn what will i even do ?

Clearly the March release date is just so they have something on this fiscal year and this is a soft launch with the real launch being planned for Fall when paid online and Mario are ready to go.

I don't currently have a way to watch Netflix on my TV, so sure, I would have. But I guess it's important for Nintendo to differentiate themselves from the competition by having worse app support across the board.

Do you not have any game consoles? Or a laptop with an hdmi port? I refuse to believe that you're in a situation where you were banking on the Nintendo Switch to fix your inability to watch netflix on a tv. If netflix even was that important you could buy any number of streaming sticks for $30-40 that would give you that functionality.

You probably won't see a lot of these features at launch because Nintendo was needlessly secretive with their system, so not a lot of dev kits went out. This support will come now that everybody can get kits, but I think the secrecy was mostly unnecessary.

phanphare

Banned
I'll admit it's the only thing I tried it with, but trying to stream even just local Plex through the Wii U's web browser was a stuttering mess on my end. I must have missed the boat on this.

plex was ok (the menus were stuttery to navigate but once the video loaded it was fine) but sites like youtube and vimeo worked extremely well

MilesTeg

Banned
Nintendo rushing hardware to launch again. Cant believe they would make the same mistakes with a March release.

Should have delayed. At this point what difference would it make in terms of carrying momentum (there is none from Wii U anyway).

Few launch games, half baked online service, missing obvious software. Typical Nintendo launch.

They are going to lose all momentum just like 3DS and Wii U post release.

Everly sliver of news concerning the Switch screams "SHOULD HAVE BEEN DELAYED UNTIL HOLIDAY 2017"

What an undercooked mess, functionality, launch lineup, online feature wise.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I feel like the tagline of the Switch around here is going to be "Non Issue"

The Nintendo Switch: It's a Non Issue. *electric guitar rift*

PrimeBeef

Good IMO. I just a games machine from Nintendo. I have a PS3 or a TV for the multimedia, and my phone and PC. I want Nintendo to just do games. That does not mean I do not understand why people want theae things or would be disappointed by this.

XOMTOR

I get Netflix through BT so meh.

This is a very focused gaming on the go product. Folk need to stop thinking it is a tablet. It is not.

Noted. My nephew has asked for a tablet to replace his aging Nexus 7 for his birthday, no need to consider the Switch then. Too bad, because even though he still likes Nintendo games, he's not going to opt for a Switch over a tablet.

JP

It would make no sense to support it on the console when Nintendo could package Netflix as an accessory and sell it to people for $70.

Kimawolf

This is silly. I get Netflix/hulu/crunchyroll are on everything under the sun, but the point is to keep eyes on YOUR screen. if this is true this is a dumb move.

Top Bottom