• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5-10-15-20

NMFried

5 - Pokemon Yellow
10 - Tony Hawk's Underground 2
15 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
20 - Super Smash Bros. Wii U

I turn 25 in three years.

rav

5: Mega-Bug (CoCo 3 TRS-80).. Nearly crapped my pants when I had collected almost all the dots, and someone came in and talked to me (I thought I couldn't hear anything on the TV /monitor and turned it way up when I got caught. WEEE GOTCHA!)
10: Doom (PC) / Descent (PC)
15: Quake 2 (PC) / Half-Life (PC)
20: WoW

Crazy list for me. Those were really milestone years for me too.

5- Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2. First games that really captured me as a kid. Close behind is Yoshi's Island.

10- This was an odd year for me I think. I met my friend who had a gamecube at the time and I still had an N64 in 03, so I'll have to go with Super Smash Bros Melee with a SM64 as a close second. Melee was so fast and fun as a kid. I just remember playing that for hours with him. It was a great time.

15 - Probably Tales of Symphonia or Abyss, both games really captured me when I got older and made me an instant fan of the Tales series. (Little did I know that most of the games after those changed the gameplay to a point where it wasn't as fun to *play*).

20 - This (is and) was a hard time in my life, and dealing with issues like depression and social anxiety amplified by magnitudes, my interest in games as a whole has dwindled and it really bums me out. There are occassional games I still really enjoy, but from around this time I think I have to give it to Taiko no Tatsujin as a whole series, or the free PC game osu! for it's Taiko mode. It's a simple rhythm game that I got really good at, but I like it so much because it lets me focus on the game a lot. There's no air to think or worry about things in life when the game demands all attention at higher levels of play. Basically, it lets me forget my mortality and life issues even just for a little bit. And that's something almost no game can do for me nowadays.

Merp. I guess I'll see what happens in 1 and a 1/2 years when I hit 25.

I was born in '96 for reference

5 - Pokemon Gold
10 - The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
15 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
20 - Final Fantasy XV

Say what you will about FFXV, but it's ignited my interest in the franchise as a whole so I count that as a plus.

Rubik8

Stealth "make me feel old" thread?

5 - Pitfall on 2600
10 - nothing. Gaming in the U.S. was dead.
15 - Golden Axe or something else on Genesis
20 - Virtua Fighter 2 on Saturn
25 - Soul Caliber on Dreamcast

PantsuJo

5-fallout 3
10-the last of us
15-ill let you know when i get there
20-see 15

Man, I'm too fucking old.

However:

5 - Alex Kidd for Master System
10 - Doom/Heretic equally
15 - Quake III Arena
20 - Outrun 2006/Ninja Gaiden Black, equally
25 - Crimzon Clover

5- still had the 2600 at this point, so multiple games: Pitfall, Donkey Kong, etc.

10- Predominantly Genesis stuff- so Sonic, Revenge of Shinobi, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker, Midnight Resistance, Forgotten Worlds, etc.

15- Oddly enough, I loved Sol Feace for the Sega CD, also Super Turbo, Sonic CD, Secret of Mana, Lunar, etc.

20- Dreamcast stuff- MVC was a big favorite of mine. Also Resident evil Code Veronica, Soul Caliber, Deus Ex 2, NFL 2K, etc

25- Kind on hiatus. My apartment was robbed and my Xbox was stolen. Bought a PS3 in 2007.

30- Clear decline in time spent gaming. Had a PS3, so predominantly those games SF4, Killzone, Fallout NV, Skyrim,

35- Even further decline in gaming time. PC primarily. Fallout 4, Witcher 2, Witcher 3,

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
5 - Day of the Tentacle
10 - Suikoden II - Peak of JRPGs time
15 - Silent Hill 3
20 - Persona 4 - This year was a drought on JRPGs
25 - Hotline Miami

kswiston

5 - I wasnt playing games (1987)

10 - I was all about platformers. Super Mario 3, and later Sonic 2. I never ended up getting an SNES until I was around 17.

15 - Final Fantasy VII and Tactics. I mainly played JRPGs from 15/16 until around 19.

20 - Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 2, Gran Turismo 3, GTA Vice City. Tons of awesome PS2 titles releasing in late 2001 through to 2002. I also enjoyed a lot of the Gamecube games from that period, but I grabbed a cube in late 2003.

25 - Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn, Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, and Bioshock. Awesome year for games.

30 - Dishonored is the first game that comes to mind. Not my favourite year in gaming.

This year is 35 for me. Hoping for something closer to 2007 than 2012.

Wulfric

5 - Spyro the Dragon
10 - Final Fantasy X
15 - Skyrim
20 - Witcher 3

Yeah, I got into RPGs pretty early.

TriAceJP

5 - Link to the Past
10 - Final Fantasy VII
15 - Jedi Outkast
20 - Super Mario Galaxy
25 - Hotline Miami
30 - Holy shit I am old.

5: Hadn't started playing games yet

10: I was playing a bunch of demos off the PS1 demo discs you got with magazines back then. I hadn't really developed much of a personal taste in games yet.

15: GTA: Vice City It was the first GTA I played and I spent a lot of time with it.

20: This year, I was in a bit of an awkward place with gaming in general, having yet not bought into the new generation of consoles, and I was generally a bit out of the loop and depressed by how badly the PS3 was doing. (I was a bit of a fanboy.) Very late to the party, but this was the year I got into Metal Gear Solid. By then it was pretty hard to find a copy, so I had a friend burn me a pirated copy of the game that I played on an emulator on PC. So yeah, I pirated the first game in one of my favourite series, but I bought all the other games and made sure to buy it later on PSN so Konami still got money from me. I liked the game, but didn't get completely hooked until Metal Gear Solid 2 which I also played that year. That game is in my top 5 games ever. The themes, twists, and interesting ideas explored by the game really interested me.

25: Dark Souls II. Demon's Souls got me into the series, and then I had been rather disappointed by Dark Souls in many ways. I thought it was quite a lot worse than Demon's Souls, actually. Dark Souls II is the game that got me firmly back as a Souls fan. The excellent multi-player really pulled me in in a way no other game had done before. And while the game wasn't as good as Demon's Souls (the GOAT) the gameplaywas a huge improvement over the first Dark Souls in nearly every way. This was also finally the game in which I got gud. This is also in my top 5 games list ever, and my second favourite Souls game

5 - It was 1981, My parents owned a pub with an Asteriods arcade machine they used to let me play sometimes.

10 - 1986, I had a Spectrum and loved Jet Pac and Atic Atac

15 - 1991, I wasn't really into games much, had an Amiga, played a Boxing Manager game on it quite a bit.

20 - 1996, Championship Manager 2 - played this waaaaaay too much!

5 - The Legend of Zelda
10- Battletoads
15- Quake
20- Silent Hill 2
25- Half-Life 2: Episode 1
30- Dark Souls
35- Dark Souls III

GKFinns

I like this idea:

5: Mega Man 2

10: The GOAT, Final Fantasy VI

15: Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete

20: Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

Let's keep this party rolling!

25: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

30: Transistor

watdaeff4

Wait some played Fallout 3 at the age of 5?
WOah. On so many levels

For me

5 - Video games? What's that?

10 - This was after the 80's crash so wasn't actively playing anything, but my favorite before the crash was Pac-Man

15 - Legend of Zelda

20 - Super Mario 64

5 - Mega Man 2. I was addicted to this game and played it pretty much every chance I got. The soundtrack is burned into my memory.

10 - Final Fantasy VI - Rented it from blockbuster multiple times until finally saving enough money to buy my own copy. Didn't even care that I had to start over from the beginning with my new copy. Played the crap out of this game and it is still one of my favorite games to this day.

15 - Tony Hawk Pro Skater - My friends and I fell in love with this game. Having sleepovers every weekend and staying up all night playing this non-stop. Got me into real life skateboarding, which became a hobby that kept me out of a lot of trouble in my teenage years.

20 - Half-Life 2 - The beginning of Steam for me. HL2 was an amazing single player fps experience that blew my mind at the time. Still hoping we'll see an end to the story someday.

5 - Mario/Kirby
10 - Chrono Trigger/Pokemon/Occarina of Time/X-com
15 - Halo/KotOR/Resident Evil 4/Metroid Prime/Jet Set Radio Future
20 - Wii Sports/GTA IV/Persona 4
25 - Mass Effect 2/Xenoblade Chronicles/Dark Souls

The weirdest thing for me is that I'm actually having a hard time thinking of games in the latter 360/PS3 era that felt really formative.

We'll see what 30 brings this year.

Unknown?

5 - Sonic 2/Street Fighter 2
10 - Crash Bandicoot 2/Gran Turismo/Twisted Metal
15 - Socom/MGS2/GTA Vice City
20 - Uncharted/GT5 Prologue

Scanna

5 - my first console was a Green Game boy which I got in 95 or 96, so at age 6 or 7. Before, I guess random games at friend's houses.
10 - pokemon and super Mario land. Got a ps1 as well so FIFA 98
15 - almost gave up on gaming, then Viewtiful Joe arrived
20 - shifted totally away from Nintendo, was mad with assassin's creed II, halo and guitar hero
25 - sunset overdrive, titanfall, south park

5(1992)-
250px-Sonic2_European_Box.jpg

10(1997)-
250px-Mega_Man_X4_PSX.jpg

15(2002)-
SOCOM_-_U.S._Navy_SEALs_Coverart.png

20(2007)-
250px-Halo_3_final_boxshot.JPG

25(2012)-
Xenoblade_box_artwork.png

30(2017)-
BreathoftheWildFinalCover.jpg

5: Super Mario Land. It was about this time that I got started on video gaming with the Game Boy my parents gave me and my brother.

Honorable mention: Tetris

10: Super Mario RPG. I had rented this first, then got it for Christmas that year. This was my first RPG, and is still one of my all-time favorite games.

Honorable mention: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

15: Halo. Yeah, this was the launch of the Xbox. I didn't own a Gamecube yet, and for the most part I was still playing on PC. My brother and I played the game on co-op first, then my dad was interested too. I eventually beat the game on all difficulties. I later played Halo 2, but none of the other games. Then in 2004, I discovered Red vs. Blue...

Honorable mention: Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2

20: Orbital. 2006 is my favorite year in gaming because there were a lot of great games that came out that year from 3 Mega Man games that I loved to Elite Beat Agents to the launch of the Wii, but I'm giving the title to a Japan-only GBA title that amazed me with its simple art style but fun gameplay as I felt like I was drifting through the cosmos before ending up at Earth. It was later released on WiiWare as Art Style: Orbient, with better graphics and new levels.

Honorable mention: Chibi-Robo!

25: Mass Effect. This was the year I really started to get into Steam because I had recently built a new gaming PC. Mass Effect was the biggest game for me, and what drew me in was the lore. Every race had a background. Every major facet of life on the Citadel and elsewhere was looked at. On top of that, this was a great universe to play in. I bought Mass Effect 2 later that year, and eventually played that. However, I never beat Mass Effect 3. I guess it's because of all the backlash over the game, as well as the lack of objective tracking.

Honorable mention: Test Drive Unlimited 2

30: American Truck Simulator. I already talked about this in the 2016 GOTY thread, so I'll sum it up here. Exploring the country. Got a new state and a rescale added over the course of the year. Put in over 225 hours while listening to podcasts.

Honorable mention: Pokemon Moon

5 - Super Mario World, Street Fighter II, Sonic 1

10 - PS1 longbox games (DOOM, ESPN Extreme Games, Twisted Metal, Warhawk)

15 - Half-Life +mods(CS, DoD, TFC, Firearms, FLF), Diablo II, Starcraft

20 - World of Warcraft

5: Super Mario Bros. I was immersed in everything Mario. The Super Show, the board game, anything I could get my hands on about Mario.

10: Sonic the Hedgehog 2: My favorite game as a kid. I could beat it on one life routinely, which I think I deserve props for because even though the game isn't hard, beating Death Egg on no coins is no joke, IMO. This game even more so than the first one made me a huge SEGA fan who would eventually grow up to type crazy stuff like "Jet Set Radio Future is the greatest 3D platformer of all time" and actually believe that what I type is true.

15: NiGHTS Into Dreams.../Christmas NiGHTS: This was my favorite game for a long time, and maybe it still is. If you wanted to argue "game as art" to me, you would win just by mentioning this game. This is maybe the first game that really just stuck with me in a way far beyond "the gameplay was really fun."

20: Halo: I was in college and this is what we played over LAN ALL THE TIME. Honestly, I don't think I've ever even come close to playing any FPS as much as this, especially on multiplayer. Halo 2, maybe, but it wasn't as good because everyone just played over XBox Live in their own spaces. Halo was the game we played in our dorm rooms and apartments.

5 - Pong
10 - Pitfall
15 - The Legend of Zelda
20 - Street Fighter II
25 - Ocarina of Time
30 - F-Zero GX
35 - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock
40 - The Last of Us

5 - Street Fighter II Turbo, the first (and one of the best) game I ever played. (1993)
10 - Tekken 3, my favorite title in one of my favorite series. (1998)
15 - Soul Calibur 2. We really need a new entry in that franchise... (2003)
20 - Devil May Cry 4, the first last-gen game I liked enough to think my PS3 wasn't a bad investment. (2008)
25 - Bioshock Infinite. Never has my view on a game whiplashed from love to hate so quickly. (2013)

Kito

05 Crash Bandicoot 3 (PS1)

10 Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 (PS2)

15 Farmville (PC)

20 None. The only game I bought that year was MK8, and I never found the time for it.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
5 - Super Mario Bros 3
10 - Final Fantasy VI
15 - Final Fantasy VIII
20 - Metal Gear Solid 3

I think this 5 year interval rule dodges a few of the really special games in my history... my list of milestones would also have to include games like Super Mario Bros, Mega Man 2, Super Mario World, A Link to the Past, Monkey Island 2, Mega Man X, Dark Forces, Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VII, Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid, or Metroid Prime.

Fuchsdh

5—A bunch of Mac shareware games, Asterax, Spectre, Myst. Hard to pick.
10—Either Starcraft or Age of Empires.
15—Halo 2.
20—Starcraft 2 (was the beta at that point, but I played the hell out of it.)

ATF487

5 (1994) - I think this is right before I got a SNES. Played the shit out of Contra, SMB1, Final Fantasy

10 (1999) - Also right before I got a Dreamcast. Would have been firmly in the N64 library, MK64, Ocarina of Time, Star Wars Episode 1 Pod Racer

15 (2004) - Halo 2 and not much else.

20 (2009) - Gears of War 2, Uncharted 2

25 (2014) - Fifa 14 (stopped following games as much around this time)

So, GAF, what were you playing when you were 5-10-15-20, or what was the most memorable game or gaming experience you had at those ages?

So what about you, GAF?

5: Closest to this age in 1986-ish would have been me mashing buttons on an arcade machine with no money. Got into my first, rare fight as a kid over an arcade game, in a train station in London, with an older 9 year old kid, while Micheal Jackson's "Beat It" played in the background. Would be a year or so before I encountered Mario Bros at a babysitter's and experienced a natural acid trip just from seeing it.

10: Probably realizing I could understand and play my mom's gf's copy of NES Zelda at this point. Beat it, loved it, opened up a world of adventures well before I understood JRPG's. Before that, all I remember with playing Zelda was accidentally deleting a babysitter's 16 heart save, feeling terrified at my mistake, and turning off the system immediately to pretend it never happened.

15: Had to be 1996, so it's probably when I was spoiled rotten with multiple game consoles. Saturn was my favorite system that year by far, and I remember playing Guardian Heroes for 15 minutes, deciding I needed one the next day. Ended up failing a class for the first time because of Guardian Heroes, Legend of Oasis, Dragon Force, Three Dirty Dwarves and Dark Savior. Yikes. Still some of my all time favorite games. 2Pac died that year and I was just getting into Wu-Tang too, through one of those music club, 99 cent album things that rip you off later with overpriced CD's.

20: I think I was playing a lot of Diablo 2 and Quake III around '01, since Dreamcast's internet access had lead me to dabbling in PC games. Early forum and late mIRC memories from that era, right before I got trained and licensed for my profession.

25: I was playing a lot of catch up with Ratchet & Clank Going Commando, San Andreas, God of War 1, MGS3, while I was working pretty hard, making a lot of decisions, had some great times and heart break, and dipped my toe into the drank as self medication. My girl at the time was playing Ratchet & Clank a lot too. Then, San Andreas + Jack Daniels... yeah, that did the trick.

30: Pretty sure I was moving into LBP2 around that time, probably just finding Demon's Souls too. I'd just gotten back off the street after a low point in life and was living out East by the beach. Create, community and friends in LBP really took a ton of my attention and time. Made a lot of friends that I still have, changed a lot about how I can think about game design. Opened up that avenue for me creatively. Souls was just an introductory revelation I'm glad I had.

35: Now I play MGSV, Diablo 3, Street Fighter V, Souls games still... trying to balance replaying stuff I like, keeping up on a backlog, discovering new things, and getting stuff I really want to, when I want to. 2016 was great with Last Guardian, Inside etc and I'm currently replaying Uncharted 4 on an entertainment set up that would blow 5 year old me's mind.

Oneself

5: Pole Position 2 on our brand new Atari 7800. This and Enduro I think.

10: Secret of Mana! My friend's older brother was a gamer and bought SOM on release day/week. We played co-op and it was a revelation to me. Such an amazing game.

15: Metal Gear Solid!! Speaking of revelations... It was unreal, I recorded every scenes on VHS to watch it "later" lol. Obviously never did. :p

20: SSX3, Beyond Good & Evil, PoP... I think my backlog started around that year lol.

25: A bit of a boring year games-wise saved by the absolutely amazing Motorstorm Pacific Rift!

30: The Last of Us blew me away that year.

5 - Super Mario Bros.
10 - The Secret of Monkey Island
15 - Chrono Trigger
20 - Diablo 2
25 - Psychonauts
30 - Fallout New Vegas
35 - Bloodborne

5taquitos

5 - I really don't think I played any video games until at least 2nd or 3rd grade, maybe a game of Pacman or Combat here and there on my Grandma's old Atari.

10 - Pretty sure I got my Gameboy this year, or maybe the year before. So Tetris and Mario Land.

15 - Crash and such on my PS1

20 - Counter-Strike all day every day, with whatever other mod was popular that month. Also my PS2 was seeing lots of action, too many to list.

Top Bottom