• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spencer on Fortnites XBO/PS4 Crossplay "I would have liked to see them leave it on"

So is this tweet a statement that Greenberg's discussions with Sony about crossplay (from the last statement about Minecraft) have failed?

Or is Phil doing his "hey guys I'm a gamer too" schtick when he's actually the head of a corporation that should be working with Sony for a mutually beneficial way to get this done.

Well of course Phil Spencer would say that, it's the only thing that guarantees an improvement of his lacklustre console sales.

What is going on with some of the comments in this thread? Some of you are fucking bonkers! lol

EDIT; See the above comment as another example of wtf!? :)

tuna_love

Banned
So is this tweet a statement that Greenberg's discussions with Sony about crossplay (from the last statement about Minecraft) have failed?

Or is Phil doing his "hey guys I'm a gamer too" schtick when he's actually the head of a corporation that should be working with Sony for a mutually beneficial way to get this done.
its just a tweet i think

Why?

Oh no more people can enjoy Sony's games this is terrible because _______

Pretty sure they're saying that it would be ridiculous if people then complained about Sony not putting their first party games on other platforms because of course Sony shouldn't be expected to put games that they have developed, invested all the money into, and assumed all the risk for on a competitor's platform.

Alienous

I didn't realize the amount of shareholders in this thread?! Wow.

Saying "this doesn't make business sense" isn't being a shareholder, it's seeing reality.

Being ignorant of how businesses make their decisions doesn't make them any more likely to make the choice you want them to.

Once you accept that businesses don't get guilted into making pro-consumer decisions you can understand what it would actually take for cross-platform play to happen, and it's a lot of voting with your wallet.

*Splinter

Pretty sure they're saying that it would be ridiculous if people then complained about Sony not putting their first party games on other platforms because of course Sony shouldn't be expected to put games that they have developed, invested all the money into, and assumed all the risk for on a competitor's platform.
Why not? You make it sound unreasonable, but third parties exist solely off of doing that.

And as a consumer it just means more games to play.

Septic360

Banned
Saying "this doesn't make business sense" isn't being a shareholder, it's seeing reality.

Being ignorant of how businesses make their decisions doesn't make them any more likely to make the choice you want them to.

Once you accept that businesses don't get guilted into making pro-consumer decisions you can understand what it would actually take for cross-platform play to happen, and it's a lot of voting with your wallet.

No the point is; people going out of their way to essentially defend Sony on a stance that is very obviously anti-consumer.

Also, opening up cross play does not necessarily mean Sony will completely lose out on any competitive advantage.

Remember, we gamers did not force Sony to adopt the "For the Players" motto. Sony declared that and when this policy strikes at the heart of it, people should definitely call them out for it.

MS were guilty before and Sony are now. And in a generation where we are seeing unprecedented levels of crossplay over various titles, it is such a shame that Sony are holding back gaming in this respect. It really is frustrating seeing people go out of their way to defend Sony, regardless of the obvious business motivations of the company.

You can't have your cake and eat it; and this is not for the players.

*Splinter

Slightly off topic, but PUBG could be interesting. It's one of the only games that might have more players on XB1 than PS4, and I assume 100 player games need enormous player pools to draw from.

If MS keep up their "well we'd just LOVE crossplay" then that would be the time for Sony to call their bluff.

If PUBG doesn't get cross play the dream is as good as dead.

...assuming it ever comes to PS4, of course.

To all of the posters who are putting themselves in Sony's shoes and trying to be as considerate and understanding as you can to their business needs and startegies, did you do this when the Xbox parity clause was causing riots in threads over the last few years?

I mean, we are talking about a business making business descisions in the best interest of their business, right? There wouldnt be anyone against the parity clause but pro no crossplay or vice versa, right?

Nev

Banned
Sony wouldn't allow the filthy scum that populates Xbox Live to threat the well-being of their precious kid playerbase.

Stop asking for it. They only gave a pass to the PC players because they're all well-meaning and aware and they don't put the kids lives at risk unlike Xbox Live players.

Embarrassing company. I swear the next person I see worshipping "Shu" or Hirai or Cerny or whatever the current mascot is is going straight to the ignore list no questions asked.

MilkyJoe

So Sony should just give up competitive advantage to it's direct competitor? Business doesn't work like that.

2edz0v5.jpg.gif

King_Moc

Banned
To all of the posters who are putting themselves in Sony's shoes and trying to be as considerate and understanding as you can to their business needs and startegies, did you do this when the Xbox parity clause was causing riots in threads over the last few years?

I mean, we are talking about a business making business descisions in the best interest of their business, right? There wouldnt be anyone against the parity clause but pro no crossplay or vice versa, right?

You mean the indie parity clause which actively attempts to force indies to make their games timed exclusives to Microsoft while giving them no money for it? That's what you're comparing to this? Seriously?

Trup1aya

Its probably option c - he would have liked them to leave it on.

There already exists a mutually beneficial way to get this done and it doesn't require any extra work on Sony's or MS part- allow developers to enable crossplay

Slightly off topic, but PUBG could be interesting. It's one of the only games that might have more players on XB1 than PS4, and I assume 100 player games need enormous player pools to draw from.

If MS keep up their "well we'd just LOVE crossplay" then that would be the time for Sony to call their bluff.

If PUBG doesn't get cross play the dream is as good as dead.

...assuming it ever comes to PS4, of course.

Nah. This would still require Sony to reversal their policy.

Minecraft is already more poplar on MS platforms and Sony blocks crossplay. They really don't care about the platform demographics of individual games. They only care about 1) keeping their population on an xbox free island and 2)
the children

You mean the indie parity clause which actively attempts to force indies to make their games timed exclusives to Microsoft while giving them no money for it? That's what you're comparing to this? Seriously?

Yeah,although it would help if you knew what the parity clause you seem to be upset about actually was.

Paruty Clause - Xbox wanted games to release day and date with competing platforms and if the devs couldn't do that then they wanted them to have bonus content when they released on Xbox at a later date after PlaySation.

Both the parity clause and no cross play stance are pretty shitty to devs and consumers but I am trying to establishg if people have been pro one or anti the other? Surely not.....

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While I wish Sony would change their stance on this, there's no fucking way MS would have sounded like this back when they were the market leader last gen. Then they were the ones refusing to let this happen. Now they/Phil are just so desperate to score some "cool gaming company" points.

watership

Blows me away how everyone is very into the idea of cross-platform play but nobody is willing to hold Sony's feet to the fire for it.

There is still a strong loyalty thing going on with Sony. A belief that the company is good and loves them, or something. Nintendo has it too, but even the most staunch Nintendo fan will slag their backwards thinking bad decisions. With Sony it's, "Sure they're wrong, but not really, and MS had done _____ in the past, don't forget that."

N21

If you can't release your game on time for all consoles, you probably should quit the game industry.

Bahlor

If you can't release your game on time for all consoles, you probably should quit the game industry.

Are you serious? This is total nonsense... not everyone has big budgets and can invest the same amount of money / time on each platform... sometimes a platform has higher priority and that would most likely be the platform with the most potential customers.

I think Sonys decision is fine when seen from a business perspective. But some games could really benefit from a bigger playerbase.

leeh

Sure, I get that, but there's a reason, for example, they're they're reluctant to put their first party games on Steam. They have that line that they don't want to cross. It just so happens that cross platform play against Nintendo and Xbox players is Sony's, which I don't think is even going to impact them as negatively as they seem to think anyway. It's a silly stance to have as I'd argue it could potentially have a worse impact on Microsoft even though they're the ones championing it.
Yeah, cause they loose a big chunk of their revenue stream if they put it on Steam first. It's not like they're completely reluctant, they just want to earn their revenue from the people who really want the game and then put it on Steam later for everyone else.

They're not directly gaining/loosing any revenue by adding cross-play, this is something for the gamers. I mean they'll indirectly earn more probably from more people picking up titles like MC across different devices and buying more items, but then, so would Sony.

AudioEppa

While I wish Sony would change their stance on this, there's no fucking way MS would have sounded like this back when they were the market leader last gen. Then they were the ones refusing to let this happen. Now they/Phil are just so desperate to score some "cool gaming company" points.

I've rolled my eyes too many times at things Mr. Spencer says on Twitter or within a Interview. I've avoided commenting in anymore discussions for a while now. But this, pretty much sums it up.

And any so far scored points, won't take them far. Actually they won't go anywhere. This issue regarding cross play is lightweight drama for probably a small portion of the gaming community to bitch at each other.

These companies have made stupid ass business decisions in the past, present time. And will continue to do so in the future. At some point if we can all play with each other, Regardless of our platform preference, That's super cool. But if it never happens? Oh well.

Goalus

I hope no Sony children were harmed during the incident.

Afair Phil has compiled a guide on how to arrange a safe online experience for children. Sony might want to follow these so that PSN can stay a safe place for children in the future.

Look right now if you have an Xbox and you want to play with your friends on PS4 you gotta get a PS4.

If you can cross play then that's a potential lost sale.

I feel like some of you don't understand business, Sony has a duty to their shareholders. Benefiting Microsoft doesn't benefit them.

This is classic Microsoft playing the victim when they're the underdog.

Most supporters of crossplay understand business just fine. What you and others who enjoy 'explaining business' don't seem to understand is that people who support crossplay don't care at all if the lack of it is good for Sony and bad for Microsoft or vice versa. Crossplay is good for gamers and that's why people are raising a stink about it.

N21

Are you serious? This is total nonsense... not everyone has big budgets and can invest the same amount of money / time on each platform... sometimes a platform has higher priority and that would most likely be the platform with the most potential customers.

I think Sonys decision is fine when seen from a business perspective. But some games could really benefit from a bigger playerbase.

Wtfaredoing.gif
Spoken like a true indie Dev /s.
ignorance truly is something sometimes...

Lol, it ain't ignorance. Very few games this generation have had success with staggered releases. It's not hatred, the game industry is fast moving and your game could get lost in the sea of many good ones that will take its place.

N21

Indie devs need the income stream to come in before they start working on ports.

I know that but the industry is fast moving, no one is going to wait if your game isn't enticing enough.

I wish every game developer well but I'm not going to deny that it sucks that my preferred console have to wait an extra 6 months for a port.

leeh

I know that but the industry is fast moving, no one is going to wait if your game isn't enticing enough.

I wish every game developer well but I'm not going to deny that it sucks that my preferred console have to wait an extra 6 months for a port.
Rocket League.

King_Moc

Banned

Minecraft, Super Meat Boy, PUBG, Undertale and Rocket League have all done this.

*Splinter

6 months late is better than never

And there are countless examples of games doing well despite a staggered release, your post is steeped in ignorance.

Kayant

Lol, it ain't ignorance. Very few games this generation have had success with staggered releases. It's not hatred, the game industry is fast moving and your game could get lost in the sea of many good ones that will take its place.
That is still ignorance.

Not every Dev needs to be a mega hit to find success on a platform.

Indie Devs often don't have the luxury of launching on multiple platforms day one due to things like staff, budget, marketing, platform knowledge etc.

Also how do you want them truly to know how enticing their game is without launching first.

Just imagining Rocket League not launching first on PS4/PC because of them not having the budget to do the XB1 version. In that instance they not only would of likely ran out of money before they would have completed the XB1 version they may not have found the same success they did at the time they would have launched waiting to complete the Xbox port.

Alternatively if they did find the same success would they have been able to keep the game alive in the same way they did with the PC/PS4 due to vastly underestimating their success and having to rewrite their network setup among other things. More than likely not because if you watching the noclips interviews you will see they just about got by with the complications at launch with PC/PS4 adding another platform to the mix would have been an even bigger disaster.

Top Bottom