• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Extended Universe |OT3| A League of Academy Award Winners

^ Wow. It makes sense though.
My initial guess was that he would be either the hostage taker or a normal ancient human (basically reprising Roose Bolton). But those roles wouldn't really need to be kept secret. If it's true, the ancient war just got a notch more EPIC!

I find that most roles that are unknown or highly speculated almost always turns out to be a nothing character or someone made up for that particular movie. Scott Eastwood and Jena Malone come to mind. Scoot McNairy to a lesser extent. I'd love to be wrong of course as I love the idea of a Lantern in medievil times, though they might have to change the origin of Alan Scotts powers. Seriously, I really want to see some Lanterns and/or Thanagarians join the ancient war to the point where I'd honestly be very dissapointed if they didnt appear.

So I'll say this on Snyder's Superman. I'm more into comics games and movies than actual comics, and it's likely I've never actually read a Superman comic.

I disliked Man of Steel when I first saw it because I thought it was just lame. I didn't like 'mopey Supes' at all, and it felt like it took the movie half its runtime to even start. And I thought the same the first time I saw BvS. But over time I've really come to like Snyder's Superman, which I see as an 'existential crisis' Superman and also as an anti-fascist one. This summer I rewatched Man of Steel, and I really keyed in on Zod's "genetic purity" stuff, and once I did I liked it a lot better. I see this Superman as someone who struggles with carrying the weight of defending the freedom of a population that sees him as an alien.

My two cents. I've really come around to liking both Man of Steel and BvS (long cut) now, at least as thematically interesting movies if not well-crafted summer action movies.

Ninjimbo

Guys, I wasn't there when the Comic Con trailer released, but based on the previous comments ; you guys weren't satisfied ?
I watched it like 20 times already, and I love the Alex Ross inspired photos of the League.
I think it was mostly hyped around here. I like the trailer quite a lot and have seen it a few times.

So I'll say this on Snyder's Superman. I'm more into comics games and movies than actual comics, and it's likely I've never actually read a Superman comic.

I disliked Man of Steel when I first saw it because I thought it was just lame. I didn't like 'mopey Supes' at all, and it felt like it took the movie half its runtime to even start. And I thought the same the first time I saw BvS. But over time I've really come to like Snyder's Superman, which I see as an 'existential crisis' Superman and also as an anti-fascist one. This summer I rewatched Man of Steel, and I really keyed in on Zod's "genetic purity" stuff, and once I did I liked it a lot better. I see this Superman as someone who struggles with carrying the weight of defending the freedom of a population that sees him as an alien.

My two cents. I've really come around to liking both Man of Steel and BvS (long cut) now, at least as thematically interesting movies if not well-crafted summer action movies.
Nice to hear you've come around. I've held the belief for quite awhile that Snyder's DC movies get better the more you watch them. If you approach them on their own terms, they're actually really thoughtful movies.

ryan299

Just played pubg with a guy that sounded like Ezra Miller. He knew exactly who I was talking about before mentioning the name and was like I wish. It was funny.

strafer

Just played pubg with a guy that sounded like Ezra Miller. He knew exactly who I was talking about before mentioning the name and was like I wish. It was funny.

Maybe it was him.

and I might have even played a random dungeon in WoW with Cavill since he played that game before getting cast as Supes, who knows really.

"An intriguing part is the setting. The intention is to make a gritty and grounded hard-boiled crime film set in early-’80s Gotham City that isn’t meant to feel like a DC movie as much as one of Scorsese’s films from that era, like Taxi Driver, Raging Bull or The King Of Comedy. I’m told that Phillips and Silver are writing already, but there is nothing firm on where this will fit into the DC schedule."

I'm out.

So... Leto was so bad they're making an Elseworld movie to try and wash the taste out of our mouths? I'd rather they'd expand on this version's history of Batman and fill in the gaps. Bleh. Cannot say I'm looking forward to this.

ryan299

So... Leto was so bad they're making an Elseworld movie to try and wash the taste out of our mouths? I'd rather they'd expand on this version's history of Batman and fill in the gaps. Bleh. Cannot say I'm looking forward to this.

Reports say he's in SS2 and the Harley solo movie.

So we'll have Leto in the same world as a majority of the movies they make and then we'll have some one else in the 80s playing him.

They have a ton of movies in development and we still don't have solid dates for them.

a916

They are struggling so hard to create a CU and they are talking about stand alone films.

I was excited until I saw Scorcese isn't directing and Leto isn't in it... Philips has an awful filmography.

I don't know what to think anymore. One minute it feels like they're throwing shit against the wall to see sticks, the next minute they announce somewhat of a slate at Comic Con, and then a few weeks later it appears they're still throwing shit at the wall.

I really don't think they have a plan on where things are going with this universe.

a916

I don't know what to think anymore. One minute it feels like they're throwing shit against the wall to see sticks, the next minute they announce somewhat of a slate at Comic Con, and then a few weeks later it appears they're still throwing shit at the wall.

I really don't think they have a plan on where things are going with this universe.

I'm starting to think any idea, no matter how early, leaks to the press... so it makes it look like everything is getting equal time and development. For all we know... none of them are.

But this elseworlds thing... ehhh, I really like how Logan was a stand alone... but man, your connective tissue is so weak to begin with and you're already going to stuff some one offs in it?

Everything about it sounds cool except the talent they got leading the thing.

Elseworld Joker story set in the early '80s that hearkens back to early Scorsese with a good director? that I'd be interested in.

ryan299

They are struggling so hard to create a CU and they are talking about stand alone films.

I was excited until I saw Scorcese isn't directing and Leto isn't in it... Philips has an awful filmography.

Scorcese is coming to my town to shoot the Irishmen in October. I'll try to convince him to direct it lol.

Penguin

We're gonna have to rename the thread soon!

I do think it's a potentially cool idea and wonder if it ties back to their early attempt to do smaller, cheaper movies with other heroes.

Ross61

We're gonna have to rename the thread soon!

I do think it's a potentially cool idea and wonder if it ties back to their early attempt to do smaller, cheaper movies with other heroes.
Definitely think the Elsewords will be lower budget than the main line. I'm all for it, mainline and Elsewords.

Ross61

The Batman Extended Universe: The Batman, Gotham City Sirens, Nightwing, Batgirl, and now... the Joker.

Man of Steel 2? What's that?
WB: I don't know her

Me either

To be fair Joker movie will be in a separate universe and won't enter development into a long time from now. Also won't effect the DCEU in the slightest. And I think there are more non-Batman related movies in the slate than Batman related.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
WB: I don't know her

Me either

To be fair Joker movie will be in a separate universe and won't enter development into a long time from now. Also won't effect the DCEU in the slightest. And I think there are more non-Batman related movies in the slate than Batman related.

The Batman
Batgirl
Nightwing
Gotham City Sirens

Suicide Squad 2 is the in betweener

Aquaman
Shazam
Flashpoint
Green Lantern Corps
Justice League Dark
Wonder Woman 2

I miss coming to this thread everyday :(

Anyway just got finished watching The Tudors and Cavill is in every episode. He's pretty damn good in the series.

Random thought about this Elseworld stuff. It'll be interesting if it ends up like Azzarello's Joker and they follow it up with a loose adaptation of Lex Luthor Man of Steel. Both lower budget, R-rated movies separate from the DCEU.

I miss coming to this thread everyday :(

Anyway just got finished watching The Tudors and Cavill is in every episode. He's pretty damn good in the series.

He's a decent enough actor, especially for a comic book movie. His arc across his two Superman outings haven't given him a ton of space to show range, so we'll see where it goes from here.

Busty

Banned
I see this Elsewhere news has sent the dreaded clickbait legions into overdrive with the news that Matt Reeves has said that The Batman won't be 'connected' to the DCU.

What he meant was it's not connected to the DCU directly, in other words Darkseid etc, etc won't turn up in it, not that it will be an 'Elsewhere' film.

Good grief.

a916

I want a Kingdom Come or Blackest Night elseworld movie.

I'm officially on board with these one offs if it means we get these types of weird movies that a normal cinematic universe has to butcher to fit in.

Penguin

I see this Elsewhere news has sent the dreaded clickbait legions into overdrive with the news that Matt Reeves has said that The Batman won't be 'connected' to the DCU.

What he meant was it's not connected to the DCU directly, in other words Darkseid etc, etc won't turn up in it, not that it will be an 'Elsewhere' film.

Good grief.

Are you surprised?

I mean technically Wonder Woman isn't connected either.

Sure can say the picture/Bruce's note, but it's pretty much it's own thing

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, why would they show the logo at the WB panel at comic con if it was never intended to be apart of the DCEU? People need to learn to read and comprehend intent.

Ross61

Good grief.
People trying to connect the dots after yesterday's Joker news.

Effect

Not knowing how to control their talent and telling them to STFU when doing interviews until they're actually ready to talk about stuff.

This. If there is anything they should copy from Marvel it is making sure their directors and actors stop talking about anything that hasn't been officially announced by the studio.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
That Lex stuff was just as embarrassing. We all know how that started, right? That Reddit "leak" dump that you guys posted here a few days ago for fun. Someone from Batman on Film saw that on Reddit and answered a Twitter Q&A on the site about Lex using that "inside info". Then Batman News took that bit and posted it as a story which ended up on GAF. You can follow the bread crumbs so easily.

Busty

Banned
What are they doing over there at WB?

While I don't have any exclusives or anything I do want to dig into this a little but at some point.

I feel like the incoming merger with AT&T is (let's say) scrambling things a little over there.

I am expecting Matt to give a statement soon.

Why?

If Matt were to give a statement about every bullshit, clickbait rumour related to The Batman he wouldn't have any time to direct the fucking thing.

People trying to connect the dots after yesterday's Joker news.

Absolutely.

I get it, people love discussing DC (especially those that aren't fans) and love any news that is even remotely connected to it.

But the whole thing is just so tiresome at this point.

Not knowing how to control their talent and telling them to STFU when doing interviews until they're actually ready to talk about stuff.

Honestly it doesn't matter that people misinterpret what they say. People leeching off the drama of these stories don't account for much of anything. I wouldn't want WB to muzzle its directors because of it. At the end of the day the finished product speaks for itself.

Like, if and when Reeves' Batman releases starring Ben Affleck, nobody is going to remember all this nonsense.

Ninjimbo

WW is crowned Queen of comic book origin films and all we can talk about is how WB is fucking things up. This media cycle stuff is really exhausting. We don't even what the hell Reeves has in mind and that's something that can change at any moment.

It's useless to speculate right now.

Alrighty then

Kill Batfleck in Justice League, do some Cowl Wars nonsense with Batgirl Nightwing Red Hood whatever spinoff movies. Make one of them the new Batman or not whatever if theyre not gonna do a Justice League 2 or more crossover then do we need a replacement Batman I dont know

Anyways then bring back Batman in standalone Reeves films and in the Scorcese film(?)

Top Bottom