• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Music (Pop, rock and all 'dat) |OT|

Kurita

I was wondering why that DAOKO x Yonezu MV was racking up a large amount of views in a short amount of time. Then I realized it was for that new Suzu Hirose voiced "Your Name" clone movie lol.
There's also Suda Masaki in it who is basically the biggest young male actor right now if you ask me. The movie seems to be getting a lot of hype, so I'm pretty sure this will end up being the most watched MV of the year.

I think "clone" is a bit harsh though, cause it's based on a novel released a long time ago lol

My boys, Cider Girl (hah), to release their first full album on October 18th! Instantly fell in love with them the first time I heard their songs, just an excellent rock sound. They're not revolutionary by any means but their stuff really has a distinctive feel to it, it feels fresh, and the perfect depiction of youth through their melodies.
DH5HvcoXYAE3-L_.jpg

「SODA POP FANCLUB 1」
01. (message)
02. メッセンジャー
03. エバーグリーン
04. なまけもの
05. メランコリー
06. グッドモーニング
07. 至心酩酊存在証明
08. ナイトクルージング
09. 成長痛
10. Forside Moonside
11. くらし
In case you've never heard of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjAQRkEvGq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0cZyjW7Z4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mFrhS3ywEE

Kurita

BiSH will release their second major full album on November 29th.
No more details yet, but the release comes with two small tours, one is limited to teenagers, while the other is for women only (I like that they added a line saying "People who identify as women are also welcome")

There's also a new WACK group called EMPiRE
They're hiding their faces until they reach a certain amount of followers apparently. Wonder what kind of sound they'll be going for.
http://empire-official.com/

PillarEN

Deerhoof tonight. Pretty psyched. Honestly have no idea what they've been up to the last 10 years really so it's almost like a seeing a band going in completely blind.

EDIT: Yeah man. They were so good and funny. And a little bit of audience participation for the encore. I think it's easily recommendable to anyone as long as they aren't against everything non- Top 40. Adrenaline still pumping.

Kurita

Awesome City Club - 「ASAYAKE」

Ivy to Fraudulent Game / E.G.B.A. [live music video]

フラワーカンパニーズ "ハイエース"
Their 16th album is coming out in two weeks. Definitely one of the most underrated long-running bands of the Japanese scene. They just have one song that you could call popular, but they never really hit it big. Still, they're a very respected band and their music is always great even after all these years (if you're into that old school kind of rock)

Deerhoof tonight. Pretty psyched. Honestly have no idea what they've been up to the last 10 years really so it's almost like a seeing a band going in completely blind.

EDIT: Yeah man. They were so good and funny. And a little bit of audience participation for the encore. I think it's easily recommendable to anyone as long as they aren't against everything non- Top 40. Adrenaline still pumping.

The great thing about Deerhoof is that they change their sound every album, and yet somehow always always always sound like Deerhoof. Definitely check out their recent stuff; I'm not sure any of it tops Offend Maggie for me but I think it's one of those cases where everyone's going to have a different favourite Deerhoof album and everyone is right.

Kurita

My Hair is Bad - グッバイ・マイマリー(ハイパーホームランツアー日比谷野外大音楽堂 2017/5/4)

Really liking Akai Ko-en and Shinsei Kamattechan's new albums (the latter is out in two weeks but it's already streaming).
Wonder where Akai Ko-en will go from there. Guess the other members can sing?
The last track of the album is actually the 3 remaining members on vocals for the whole intro and it's great. Fantastic closing track.

New Frederic mini-album on October 18th!
news_header_frederic_art201708.jpg

「TOGENKYO」
01. TOGENKYO
02. スローリーダンス
03. かなしいうれしい
04. たりないeye
05. ミッドナイトグライダー
06. パラレルロール
07. RAINY CHINA GIRL

Aizo

Banned
So I just got introduced to the world of Japanese (anime/idol) music x hip hop mashups and man, weeabos make such great music

Poolside Identity | Chuunibyou × Kendrick Lamar

Love Jigen e Youkoso | Space Dandy × Musiq Soulchild

Momoiro Clover Z x Flosstradamus - Nippon Egao Hyakkei remix
Thank you so much for starting this discussion. I made a playlist a long time ago.
I prefer the mashups of rap and J-pop/anime OPs, though I'm not really familiar with most of these shows.
Black and Yellow Sketch | Hidamari Sketch × Wiz Khalifa
K-ONye West -Kanye West Vs. K-ON! (Diamonds are Forever)
Clannad - Dango Daikazoku ft. Busta Rhymes

The best one of all.
iDOLM@STER vs. DMX - WHERE THE IDOLS AT

Some of them have such great images hahahah

【ひぐらしのなく頃に】"you"でHIPHOPしてみた (Nas)

Sadly, pretty much all of these were from the height of this trend years ago. Nowadays, all the good users stopped making them, or they just do like one a year.

Kurita

Aaaaaaah, Yonezu Kenshi finally announced his 4th album. "BOOTLEG" will be out on November 1st.
13 songs : 4 singles already out, and it will also include self-covers of the Daoko collab, as well as the song he made for Hatsune Miku's 10th anniversary.
Can't wait.

vanty

I've listened to this song 27 times in the past week. Maybe 35 times including watching these two videos.

【MV】虹のコンキスタドール「キミは無邪気な夏の女王」(虹コン)

and live

「キミは無邪気な夏の女王~This Summer Girl Is an Innocent Mistress~ 」虹のコンキスタドール(虹コン) 2017.05.31(AKIBAカルチャーズ劇場)

I've had a listen to their album that came out late last year. Nothing as good as that single but still some pretty good stuff.

One of the two more eye catching members has this song as well which is very different from the group stuff but I'm quite into it.

All this because of someone mentioning boobs in a random reddit comment ahah

Kurita

2 - ケプラー
It's the new band by The Salovers's former vocalist (a fantastic band that vanished way too early), and it sounds exactly like them, so I'm a happy man. Very energetic guitar rock, close to that "seishun punk" sound that makes you want to sing along, fist in the air.
Excited to hear their first album, VIRGIN, on October 4th. 12 tracks, 30 minutes, I'm sure it'll be great.

They just released a new PV today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0HzlFroE2E
Drummer and guitarist are going ALL IN, man this is some good shit. The dynamic camerawork really gives the whole performance some power.

Aizo

Banned
I'm confused. I thought the new Shinsei Kamattechan album came out next month, but here I am listening to it on Spotify. Glad I can play イマドキの子 on repeat without youtube now.

Ummmmm so I just saw the PV's for Momotaro, Kamehameha the Great, Aladdin, and Diablo by Wednesday Campanella. What even is this band? Where have I been?! I think I severely love them.

llehuty

I appreciate what they're going for but man that chorus is the most blatant "I wrote this for a commercial jingle" thing and really sours me on it
Yeah, not a fan of the chorus, but I thing the full version redeems it. That part in the prechorus where the instrumental just stops and is only some sounds harmonizing with their vocals is fantastic.

Rainy

Banned
My girlfriend has never really listened to Japanese music before and last night I introduced her to indigo la end and Gesu, she actually really liked both of them. Time to recommend her more things now haha.

PillarEN

Aaaaaaah, ONE OK ROCK finally coming back to Europe!!! It's been two years

Another Japanese band coming to Prague. What did we do to become so blessed suddenly. Now if we can get some straight up JPop acts to come by here.

Been listening to Jinn's album Qualia all weekend and then some. Absolutely love the songs Vuena Vista and Once More. Was talking to my friend who gave me this record and both of us mentioned that it's sort of an easy transition to get into this band if you like Incubus. The funny thing is that when I wasn't listening to this record I found myself listening to Incubus' A Crow Left of the Murder.

I noticed the band hasn't really done anything in some time though (Jinn I mean)? Then again it's not weird for artists to disappear for more than 3 years so maybe I'm overthinking it.

EDIT: What was some of your feelings about One OK Rock's album Ambitions? Question for everyone, not just the quoted person.

Kurita

EDIT: What was some of your feelings about One OK Rock's album Ambitions? Question for everyone, not just the quoted person.
First of all, I'll say that I've been listening to the band for 10 years. It kind of matters, because I'm pretty sure fans that have been listening to them for a while basically gave up on them like 3-4 years.
This isn't the case for me, and I believe Ambitions is one of their best works to date. I totally get why their recent releases are hated by people who used to love them, but hey, artists change, and I have no problem with it. OOR in 2007 isn't the OOR from 2010, OOR from 2010 isn't OOR from 2013, and OOR in 2017 is also its own beast. Once you get that, well, Ambitions is just some of the finest poppy rock you can get out there. It's my most listened album of the year by far. Stuff like We Are, Bombs Away, One Way Ticket, 20/20, Bon Voyage, Take What You Want (yeah even if I don't care for 5SOS)... blew me away, and totally hold their own against classics like Kanzen Kankaku Dreamer.
I also feel like this is yet another stepping stone, and OOR can finally become a global band, not just limited to Japan, which is quite exciting.
I'm already super excited to hear some new material.

Aizo

Banned
Top Bottom