• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elder Scrolls Online Game Informer Details

Card Boy

Banned
It does look very generic. With so many games going F2P there is no excuse for monthly fees in this day and age. 'Server costs' and 'paying New content' is not a excuse for P2P MMO's.

The first picture is NSFW.

Doesn't look like a cock or pussy to me lol. Some mind you have haha.

NBtoaster

It's heavily stylized, but I can still make out Spider Daedra, Storm Atronachs, Clanfear and an Ayleid Ruin. Though I doubt other people will :p

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They've screwed this up in every way that it's possible to screw this up.

Jako

I'm not sure, it looks pretty unoriginal, it's like they were trying to make a "realistic" version of WoW, with poor art.

HuntTheMusic

Neo Member
Screenshot six of the CVG shots appears to have a guy in a Daedric helmet and thats the only Elder Scrolls related item I could see. At first I thought they were a really early leak but reading they started this in 2007 makes me think this is it.

Bad times.

Screenshot six of the CVG shots appears to have a guy in a Daedric helmet and thats the only Elder Scrolls related item I could see. At first I thought they were a really early leak but reading they started this in 2007 makes me think this is it.

Bad times.

Scans did show what appeared to be Ordinator armor. But still way too few good things to counter to the mountain of shit.

Aguirre

looks too divorced from previous ES games to be an ES game.

i dont know, i suppose art direction doesn't mean the game will be shit, just look shit.

megalowho

So many disappointing details in that article write up. Screenshots doing nothing for me. As others are saying, it walks and talks like a textbook fantasy MMO conceived around 2007, pre Skyrim and pre genre fatigue. No thanks, ZeniMax Online.

Honestly, it doesn't look terrible, it just doesn't remind me of ES. However, Swtor ran like shit for me, even at default settings. So yeah, Hero Engine sucks.

Cromat

Elder Scrolls should be like Diablo, with a quality single player campaign and a seperate, addictive multiplayer.

Full MMOs are almost always the same... That way it's just another MMORPG. Third person? Wtf

Sentenza

I wasn't even remotely interested in this, but after reading some details, if they actually make a decent DAOC-like out of it I could be pleasantly surprised.
Three factions is already a good start.

RPGCrazied

Why does everyone want this to be first person? Even in offline elderscrolls games I like 3rd person, hell all of my games that I play I want them in 3rd person. First person games give me a headache.

I'm not defending the game, cause it looks so average, but just saying.

Kem0sabe

I wasn't even remotely interested in this, but after reading some details, if they actually make a decent DAOC-like out of it I could be pleasantly surprised.
Three factions is already a good start.

Your assuming this piece of crap engine can manage pvp of the scope of DAOC.

The old republic couldnt manage 20 vs 20 in the same area without slowing down to a crawl. The engine is limited and there´s little they can do about it.

mclem

256px-Elder_Scrolls_Arena_Cover.jpg

To be fair, that didn't *craft* the entire continent, it just randomly generated areas around your current location themed to your current region.

I think the only crafted regions were the 18 main dungeons and Imperial City?

Whaa... tt.? Why all the good RPG franchises gets the "MMO" treatment? last week S.T.A.L.K.E.R. now this. Make it stop. Please!

*pissed off*

Probably because they can get more money off an MMO. With a regular SP game, you just pay once and done. With MMO you can get money from subscription, in game purchases, all kinds of stuff. Well that is the why I see it anyway.

Durante

Probably because they can get more money off an MMO. With a regular SP game, you just pay once and done. With MMO you can get money from subscription, in game purchases, all kinds of stuff. Well that is the why I see it anyway.
That assumes that people will buy this POS and keep paying for it. We can see how well that worked out for EA's 200 million project.

It's just sad how none of these MMOs tries to be the least bit different. With the Elder Scrolls lineage, they could have gone for first person, an UO like skill progression system and Skyrim-like (subdued, with realistic lighting) graphics. Instead we get WoW clone #182.

-"Recreateing the freedom Elder Scrolls players expect within the World of Warcraft-style mechanics Zenimax Online is using for this MMO would be impossible without changing the way that players interact with the world."
-As such, the game uses a hubless design

Why would you describe your game like that. The next big MMO is going to be the one that reinvents the genre, not the one that does it almost as well.

Also if you showed me those screen shots I would have guessed Kingdom of Amalur, and hero engine means that it will also remind people of SWtOR. Nothing about this so far seems like elder scrolls.

whyman

I think it looks better than any other MMO out there. Thank god for not being a cartoon style like the rest of them...

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Aside from one of the sets of armor and some of the architecture, it looks nothing like an Elder Scrolls game. If I didn't know what it is, I honestly would have no idea that they're screens from an ES game. Generic is the only way to describe it.

Xenon

If the game has set objects like in the other Elder Scroll games I could see fun being had by doing crazy shit like collecting tons of a items(bowls, cups, candles, ect..) and filling up someones house with them. Or maybe one could just try to hord a single item in the world.

Ledsen

To be fair, that didn't *craft* the entire continent, it just randomly generated areas around your current location themed to your current region.

I think the only crafted regions were the 18 main dungeons and Imperial City?

Well, it's random since that's the only way to build the entire continent. It can't be done by hand.

Effect

I adore ES, but I'm just not down with this.

Seriously. I enjoyed Skyrim a lot in the end. I'm even thinking of going back and giving Oblivion a real try now that I know what to really expect and how to play these type of games (playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas also helped). However, as a fan of MMORPGs, I just have no desire at all to play an Elder Scrolls game online. It always seemed to me the strength of the games was the strong single player aspect of the worlds. You as a lone hero against the world. Sometimes with a companion.

I get the feeling this could end up like The Old Republic. Chase the MMO money and lose what made the past games popular in the first place.

Zomba13

"There is going to be an Elder Scrolls MMO"
Ooooh hype! An online Oblivion or Skyrim type game could be awesome!

"Here are a bunch of details"
Oh... On second thoughts I'll just keep not playing any MMO.

Jako

Seriously. I enjoyed Skyrim a lot in the end. I'm even thinking of going back and giving Oblivion a real try now that I know what to really expect and how to play these type of games (playing Fallout 3 and New Vegas also helped). However, as a fan of MMORPGs, I just have no desire at all to play an Elder Scrolls game online. It always seemed to me the strength of the games was the strong single player aspect of the worlds. You as a lone hero against the world. Sometimes with a companion.

I get the feeling this could end up like The Old Republic. Chase the MMO money and lose what made the past games popular in the first place.

Yes, I feel exactly the same, The Old Republic is a bad version of Mass Effect and KoTOR, an online game will never be as good as a single player one, cause you have to compromise quality for quantity.

99%

Thing is they started making this in 2007 when WoW was at its peak, now everyone is tired of the same old MMO design but this game is rooted in what was hot in 2007.

Dunlop

As absolutely horrible as all this sounds, the fact that it uses the Hero Engine ensures that I would never give a single cent towards this.

SWTOR uses this engine and even with all the resources and money thrown at it from EA/BW it is an absolute piece of shit

Cimarron

What no Hammerfell? =(

"The game features three faction PvP where you fight to take over keeps and use trebuchets and other siege weapons to help do it. At the high end, you can have 100 v 100 battles. There are also farms and mines you can try to take over. Mots of this happens in Cyrodiil where your goal is to take over and hold the Imperial City to get faction wide bonuses for it. If you have played Dark Age of Camelot, this probably sounds familiar. For those who haven't, essentially the entire zone is a giant PvP area will all sorts of points of interest."

I loved the PVP in DAOC! *happy dance*

Top Bottom