• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman Director's Cut Rated R. [not the upcoming film pls read op]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Why the bump? It was hard enough making people read he damn OP the first time. Someone use the duckroll signal to have him close the thread!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Am I bad for thinking Logan could have been done as a 15 or even PG-13 without significantly impacting the tone of the movie? I was halfway through befor I noticed nay particularly nasty gory kills, and they weren't much different from previous wolverine attack frenzies. Language would be more of an issue, but IMO you don't need a thousand F-bombs

CloudWolf

EDIT: I've been had! *shakes fist in the air*

Am I bad for thinking Logan could have been done as a 15 or even PG-13 without significantly impacting the tone of the movie? I was halfway through befor I noticed nay particularly nasty gory kills, and they weren't much different from previous wolverine attack frenzies. Language would be more of an issue, but IMO you don't need a thousand F-bombs
Nah, the theme of the film more than warrants the R-rating. An film rating isn't (or shouldn't be) just a measure of how many F-bombs, nudity or violence a film has.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
EDIT: I've been had! *shakes fist in the air*

Nah, the theme of the film more than warrants the R-rating. An film rating isn't (or shouldn't be) just a measure of how many F-bombs, nudity or violence a film has.

I the uk We have a '15' rating which would have been suitable. In the US it's straight from PG-13 to R, right? In that case I understand from the tone.

Edit: oh - just checked and it *is* a 15 Cert in the UK :)

It is damn weird that Flashpoint is PG-13 and the animated Wonder Woman is now Rated R.

Like, there are a couple surprisingly dark visuals in Wonder Woman, but Flashpoint is brutal.
It's not rated R now. Originally they cut some scenes because they resulting in an R rating, they thought that standards had changed enough to restore the cut scenes and maintain the PG-13 rating but they were wrong. So now they're just rereleasing the original cut.

JimiNutz

Banned

No fucking way.
Logan FINALLY showed on screen what would happen if Wolverine used his claws properly in combat and it was absolutely glorious to see. The violence and gore definitely added to the tone of the movie too. Both Deadpool and Logan needed the R rating amd I applaud Fox for taking the risk.

You guys made a thread that there is not going to be a director's edition. And then another thread for the director's edition?

Give me a break. I will call it like it is. These are straight up marketing.

I really liked this movie when it was released and always hoped it was the template for a future live action wonderwoman movie. Apart for modern day, it seems its following the same template, so I think i really going to enjoy it.

You guys made a thread that there is not going to be a director's edition. And then another thread for the director's edition?

Or you failed at reading comprehension.

Jesus I understand people not reading every post in the thread but completely ignoring the first post? Cmon

The Adder

Banned
Closest to bloodthirsty doesn't mean she's bloodthirsty. I never once said she'll go around slicing and dicing like Wolverine. However, compared to the current Jl line up (especially in terms of comics) she is the most likely to kill an enemy. Like you said, she does it as a last resort, but the way some people assume her to (female Superman with Batman's code) isn't true to her comic book character. I like to think of her closer to Cap (post-WW2 soldier) where he doesn't kill unless it's absolutely necessary). (I suppose a lot of hero's are like that, including Superman).

Thor more than Cap. She's a true warrior. Won't kill you if she doesn't have to, but if she has to she's not gonna hem and haw about it, or feel any regret afterwards.

The Adder

Banned
Wonder Woman isn't a cold person.

Neither is Thor. Killing someone evil and unstoppable without killing them, then not agonizing over it, doesn't make a character cold. Killing someone you just may have been able to stop otherwise and not agonizing over your decision makes you cold.

Neither is Thor. Killing someone evil and unstoppable without killing them, then not agonizing over it, doesn't make a character cold. Killing someone you just may have been able to stop otherwise and not agonizing over your decision makes you cold.

It still bothers a character like Wonder Woman if she has to kill no matter what foe she faces.

The Adder

Banned
It still bothers a character like Wonder Woman if she has to kill no matter what foe she faces.

First thing, Max Lord.

Second thing, Wonder Woman is a warrior in the literal sense. Raised and trained to be one. No, vanquishing foes that need vanquishing does not bother her. I cannot think of an example of it off the type of my head post comics code and it diminishes the character to do so.

"She's an Amazon from an island of fierce and powerful warrior women, but doing the thing she's been trained her entire life to do makes her balk."

Ridiculous.

Shaanyboi

Banned
since it again received an R, the current plans are for the new version to be of the originally released PG-13 cut, excluding the added footage.

I don't understand what's being said here. So they wanted to put the original cut out and maybe still get a PG-13, but they got an R again, so they're just releasing the PG-13 cut again?

The Adder

Banned
I don't understand what's being said here. So they wanted to put the original cut out and maybe still get a PG-13, but they got an R again, so they're just releasing the PG-13 cut again?

Exactly. Basically "Hey, they gave Flashpoint a PG-13, let's see if they'll do the same for this one now." When they didn't, they decided to release the standard cut.

Flashpoint getting a PG-13 rating was always super strange to me. But I also thought the WW animated movie was surprisingly violent. Still, I would have loved to watch the uncut version.

First thing, Max Lord.

Second thing, Wonder Woman is a warrior in the literal sense. Raised and trained to be one. No, vanquishing foes that need vanquishing does not bother her. I cannot think of an example of it off the type of my head post comics code and it diminishes the character to do so.

"She's an Amazon from an island of fierce and powerful warrior women, but doing the thing she's been trained her entire life to do makes her balk."

Ridiculous.

I'm basing this off of Rucka's version which is the main version DC is using. In that one she love everyone and will do whatever it takes to put you into submission. Cuz she cares. Not to mention a lot of writer's post Max Lord have been trying to push that away from her character. Injustice Wonder Woman is the one your looking for.

Yeah, she's a warrior. But instead of being like her Amazon sisters she'd rather change man's world through love and understanding.
mUErSHr.jpg

The Adder

Banned
I'm basing this off of Rucka's version which is the main version DC is using. In that one she love everyone and will do whatever it takes to put you into submission. Cuz she cares. Not to mention a lot of writer's post Max Lord have been trying to push that away from her character. Injustice Wonder Woman is the one your looking for.

Yeah, she's a warrior. But instead of being like her Amazon sisters she'd rather change man's world through love and understanding.

No, Injustice Wonder Woman is just a ruthless murderer. You seem to be failing to distinguish between "If a problem can only be solved through taking a life, I will neither hesitate nor cry about it after the fact" and "Kill everything and everyone and let the gods sort'em out." No, the former is not incompatible with the love and compassion that has always been a part of the character.

Also, Rucka's Wonder Woman was not the main influence for the Wonder Woman in this particular work. And while I am far behind on my DC, unless Rucka's written her having to kill someone and then agonizing over it, nothing you've said invalidates my statements. And if he has? Well fuck that, because that just makes her a watered down Kal-El.

At her best Diana has consistently been written as the neutral good, "go as far and do as much as is required of me to serve the good of all, no further and no more" counterpoint to Clark's chaotic good "always do what I feel is right deep down in my heart of hearts and cry into my pillow at night if I have to do anything that doesn't fit that" and Bruce's lawful good "follow my personal code to the letter, never violate it, and if I'm ever pushed into doing so, fall into a deep depression."

No, Injustice Wonder Woman is just a ruthless murderer. You seem to be failing to distinguish between "If a problem can only be solved through taking a life, I will neither hesitate nor cry about it after the fact" and "Kill everything and everyone and let the gods sort'em out." No, the former is not incompatible with the love and compassion that has always been a part of the character.

Also, Rucka's Wonder Woman was not the main influence for the Wonder Woman in this particular work. And while I am far behind on my DC, unless Rucka's written her having to kill someone and then agonizing over it, nothing you've said invalidates my statements. And if he has? Well fuck that, because that just makes her a watered down Kal-El.

At her best Diana has consistently been written as the neutral good, "go as far and do as much as is required of me to serve the good of all, no further and no more" counterpoint to Clark's chaotic good "always do what I feel is right deep down in my heart of hearts and cry into my pillow at night if I have to do anything that doesn't fit that" and Bruce's lawful good "follow my personal code to the letter, never violate it, and if I'm ever pushed into doing so, fall into a deep depression."

There's no doubt she'll stop a war. But submission plays a big part in it.

The Adder

Banned
There's no doubt she'll stop a war. But submission plays a big part in it.

Given her real world origins, of course. My primary point was and is that she's the one, when push comes to shove, who will shove and who won't spend the next five issues crying about having to shove. Because to get to that point all other options will have been exhausted and she's been trained to do what needs doing when it needs doing.

Whereas Superman will take a life when everything else has failed and he's allowed the situation to go on even further beyond that, putting many other lives in danger. And then he'll go home and, even if it was the right thing to do, it will weigh on his soul forever.

And Batman just won't kill to a ridiculous degree (winging Darkseid with that radion bullet instead of plugging him between the eyes, for example). If he does so it will absolutely crush him.

nKNLmnr.jpg

The issue following Max's death is all about Diana trying to come to terms with her actions. Telling herself one thing while seeking the judgement of others.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Someone should make a thread for the Commemorative Edition. It did come out a number of years ago and people might have missed it. Plus the movie is that good.

Penguin

Someone should make a thread for the Commemorative Edition. It did come out a number of years ago and people might have missed it. Plus the movie is that good.
Wonder straight up has one of DC best animated and live action movies on her first try

Now if they did more with her...

Thor more than Cap. She's a true warrior. Won't kill you if she doesn't have to, but if she has to she's not gonna hem and haw about it, or feel any regret afterwards.

She's more willing to kill then Batman or Superman though. That much has been established. She also snapped Maxwell Lord's neck in the comics, so she will resort to major violence when necessary as well.

Kingdom Come and Max Lord are the two worst things to happen to Wonder Woman in the modern era.

FInch run is worst than both of those.
Not even close. The Finch run was already forgotten before it ended, while those two events will continue to mark Wonder Woman for years to come.

J_Viper

Is it really?

I hear great things about the DC animated flicks, but then I watch them and the voice acting is poor and the writing is terrible.

Is it really?

I hear great things about the DC animated flicks, but then I watch them and the voice acting is poor and the writing is terrible.
This is one of the earlier ones, and yes it is actually good. It has Nathan Fillion voicing Steve Trevor so that's already a plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom