• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Direct Nintendo Games 2013.1.23 - Jan. 23rd, 9 AM EST, 2 PM GMT, 11 PM JP

Status
Not open for further replies.
NCL has announced a presentation by Satoru Iwata tomorrow, Jan. 23rd at 11 pm in Japan, covering future Wii U titles from Nintendo. It will run for 35 minutes.

Satoru Iwata said:
今回は、通常のダイレクトとは少し趣向を変え、任天堂が今後Wii Uでどのように自社タイトルやサービスを展開していくつもりなのか、ということをお伝えします。

Iwata: "This time, the plan is a bit different from a regular Direct, in that I'll be talking about what kind of Wii U titles and services Nintendo is developing."

When does the Japanese presentation start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch it? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/direct20130123/index.html

I will be providing live translations here in the OP and on my Twitter feed, @Cheesemeister3k.

23:00 The presentation has begun. Iwata says that most NDs have been about the near-future. This time it'll be about future titles and services. So, how is Miiverse doing so far? Users are posting messages and experiencing the service. This presentation will convey the Miiverse experience to those who don't have the Wii U. Players can post messages asking for help, mark spoilers, and report violations. Players can talk about their experiences about specific games from start to finish. Players can attach screenshots to their posts. Some have drawn very detailed pictures.
23:06 Careful: the Miiverse can be a time-sink. Profiles with green checkmarks are official. Official users are authorized to post web links and videos, as is done with NSMBU.
23:09 Firmware updates in spring and summer. Speeding up launching software, menu return. Wii U Virtual Console with spring firmware update. NES and Super NES games. Save states, GamePad play, Miiverse integration. GBA coming. Upgrade from Wii VC versions: NES 100 yen ($1.00), SNES 150 yen ($1.50).
23:10 This year is the 30th anniversary of the Famicom. From January through July, Wii U VC trial campaign titles for 30 yen (30 cents) if purchased within the first 30 days.
23:11 Campaign titles: Balloon Fight, F.Emblem (in Japan, F-Zero elsewhere), Mother 2 (in Japan, Punch-Out!! ft. Mr. Dream elsewhere), Kirby's Adventure, S. Metroid, Yoshi, DK.
23:13 Mother 2 Resurrection Festival celebrating 19th anniversary of Mother 2, VC title releasing in March (in Japan). Discussion of Mother 2 on Wii U VC via its Miiverse community. Itoi will have an official Mii there. Iwata hopes both previous and new players of Mother 2 will enjoy the VC game together, sharing experiences on Miiverse.
23:14 Post Pikmin 3 screenshots on Miiverse.
23:15 Private user communities coming to Wii Fit U. Smartphone Miiverse browsing, app coming this spring.
23:18 Nintendo-developed titles coming up. No Nintendo-published titles in Jan. or Feb. Iwata apologizes for delays. Next titles needed more time. The Wonderful 101 trailer now.
23:20 Bayonetta 2 dev is progressing, more info later, but studio intro video now.
23:23 Iwata Asks starting with Platinum Games this year, about development history, philosophy. Smash Bros. new info? Sakurai will show screens at E3. Please wait!
23:24 Wii U 3D Mario under development by Galaxy team! Mario Kart Wii U! E3 playable demos!
23:25 Successor to Mario Party, Wii U Party intro video now.
23:26 Unannounced, but expected title: Yoshi game from Kirby team!
23:27 Atlus collaboration title trailer now. Shin Megami Tensei meets Fire Emblem.
23:28 Zelda Wii U news! Eiji Aonuma speaks. Development theme: rethinking Zelda standards.
23:31 Zelda Wii U screenshot: Windfall Island from Wind Waker remake in HD! Wind Waker HD remake and new Zelda title both under development. WW: graphic refresh, game tuning, off-screen play, Miiverse integration. Due by this fall.

Eiji Aonuma said:
Hello everybody watching Nintendo Direct. I'm Eiji Aonuma, the producer of The Legend of Zelda. I felt like it hadn't been very long since we celebrated the 25th Anniversary of "The Legend of Zelda" with you. But it has already been one year since then. Time sure flies, doesn't it? Wii U launched at the end of last year, so I'd like to be able to talk soon about the new Zelda game we are preparing for you on Wii U, but since I have to wait until you can see actual game visuals to talk about it in detail, I will instead talk about the driving theme behind our development.

Our mission in developing this new Zelda game for Wii U is quite plainly to rethink the conventions of Zelda. I'm referring to things such as the player is supposed to complete dungeons in a certain order. That you are supposed to play by yourself, the things that we've come to take for granted recently. We want to set aside these "conventions," get back to basics to create a newborn Zelda so players today can enjoy the real essence of the franchise.

We had actually worked on this kind of challenge with Skyward Sword, but we weren't able [to] put efforts in changing the linear structure of the game. I hope to be able to talk to you in more detail about how it will change after I see it come together a bit more. Separately from that, there are some interesting images that have emerged from the development process for this new Wii U game that I'd like to show you.

If you're a Zelda series fan, you may know what this image is. This is an image showing Windfall Island from The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, which was released 10 years ago on Nintendo GameCube. And it is now in HD on Wii U. After the Zelda team showed the Wii U Zelda demo that we called the Zelda HD Experience at E3 2011, we continued to experiement with converting past Zelda art styles into HD as we continued to consider graphical styles for the new game, but in fact felt as if it had been transformed into something entirely new.

The reason I wanted to show you these pictures today is because our new Zelda title looks like it is going to take some time to complete, so I wanted to report that while you're waiting for that game to release, we intend to offer you The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, reborn on Wii U, to play in the meantime. I hope you will look forward to both The Wind Waker and our all new Zelda title.

23:33 Monolith Soft game trailer now. Monolith Soft game trailer ends with a big, red X. Online?!

image.jpg

23:35 Nintendo Direct presentations to continue delivering direct info. Thanks for watching.

NOA has announced a presentation by Satoru Iwata tomorrow, Jan. 23rd at 9 am EST, simultaneous with NCL, covering future Wii U titles from Nintendo. It will run for about 35 minutes.
Firmware updates in spring and summer. Speeding up launching software, menu return. Wii U Virtual Console with spring firmware update.

When does the NOA stream start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch the NOA stream? Right here: http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct

NOE has announced a presentation by Satoru Iwata tomorrow, Jan. 23rd at 2 pm GMT, simultaneous with NCL, covering future Wii U titles from Nintendo.

When does the NOE stream start in my time zone? Click this link for worldwide times.

Where can I watch the NOE stream? Right here: http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Misc-/Nintendo-Direct/Latest-Nintendo-Direct/Nintendo-Direct-698557.html

t1358949600z1.png

Wiz

I expect release dates for currently known Nintendo games, and teasers for a couple new ones.

I guess this direct is to announce releasedates (likely) for: WiiFitU, Pikmin 3, W101, Wario.

Nintendo Directs aren't purely release dates, thankfully.
I bet there will be at least one title that we either didn't see before (hopefully along the lines of F-Zero) or that we know about but want more of (hopefully Bayonetta 2).

Also I'm pretty sure that we will see a handful of new eShop titles for both Wii U and 3DS.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's a shame they're having them all at the same time, it would have been rad to watch the Japanese one tonight by having it air in the morning there, but I guess they know the problem with that direction is they're internet presentations. Everyone would just as easily watch the first one and then have no reason to watch the regional presentation for anything but verifying what gets an already confirmed localization or something. Maybe they should instead set these up in different times but with exclusive game footage each, making them all worth watching. I'm sure the Japanese aren't happy about waiting until night. Anyway, I'll be watching both at the same time muting whichever is less interesting at the time since there may be Japanese exclusive content shown as usual before they confirm localizations for some of them. If my dodgy internet connection holds.

I want to see new firmware for both systems: improved performance and VC w/ free Wii VC transfers for Wii U, NNID integration and Miiverse for 3DS.

One can dream.

Omikaru

FgpPKiQ.png

Probably not, but hopefully something still equally awesome

I'm actually hoping that if they do announce a new 3D Mario, it veers away from the Galaxy theme. Nothing wrong with SMG 1 & 2, but I feel with a new console they should do a new thing with 3D Mario.

I want to see new firmware for both systems: improved performance and VC w/ free Wii VC transfers for Wii U, NNID integration and Miiverse for 3DS.

One can dream.
If you wish hard enough, it can become real! I just know it!

I'll chuck in my hopes for a region free patch for 3DS and Wii U too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom