• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

markot

Banned
Capcom is the worst at DLC since Horse armour. (I know they didnt do horse armour but its from that era is what I mean!)

hamchan

Capcom are so awful. I wouldn't be surprised if fighting games entered another slump thanks to them. The FGC illuminati stopping the growth of the genre in e-sports isn't helping too.

Jintor

Give me the overview Ham because I'm not seeing it, but I'm probably just blinded by all the Mahvel tournies and the SF v T madness that just sprung up

Card Boy

Banned
Just upsets me when people say I don't own my console games but a 'license' to them. The corporate bigwigs have won at brainwashing the hardcore gaming community.

Just upsets me when people say I don't own my console games but a 'license' to them.
But that's how all 'bought' software works, whether it's a game or productivity software or an OS. Unless you own the source, you don't own the software.

Dead Man

But that's how all 'bought' software works, whether it's a game or productivity software or an OS. Unless you own the source, you don't own the software.

That just means they've gotten to you, too. Do you own a license to read a book? The only reason companies don't do it with more things is the difficulty of enforcing it.

Jintor

Just upsets me when people say I don't own my console games but a 'license' to them. The corporate bigwigs have won at brainwashing the hardcore gaming community.

You don't. Law is law, whether you like it or not.

That just means they've gotten to you, too. Do you own a license to read a book? The only reason companies don't do it with more things is the difficulty of enforcing it.

You don't agree to a TOS to read a book (unless it's a kindle book!)

hamchan

Give me the overview Ham because I'm not seeing it, but I'm probably just blinded by all the Mahvel tournies and the SF v T madness that just sprung up

MLG wanted to have Capcom games. Some community big wigs had enough sway to make Capcom say no apparently. Now MLG is getting stuff like MK9 and SC5 with some relatively big prize pools for fighting games. Missed opportunity for the Capcom games to have more exposure and more money.

I don't own the story, just the media on which it was delivered. Just like with games. And movies. And music.

I got a mole cut out. Was pretty cool. Uses like an apple corer kind of thing that then scoops under it. I got stitches and everything. Hopefully it scars and I can make up a cool story. As long as I don't have cancer of course.

Work was super busy, did GAF go down or something?

Maybe we need a banner, like ATTENTION SALES or something, that people can use.
<_>

You guys hate me :(

I still have a heap of Fitocracy invites if anyone wants one. http://ftcy.co/uj8FOs
I jumped in. Been meaning to get into Couch to 5k but the whole flu, followed by mole drilling, followed by blood donation tomorrow has held things up. NEED TO LOSE AT LEAST 20kg BY END OF JULY

Thanks to reptile for the heads-up. Considering I was debating getting one at $500, $350 is a no-brainer.
No probs, I remembered you were after it. EVERYTHING eventually turns up on OzBargain!

Yo, AusGAF, I heard you like stats (and if you didn't, too bad), so here are some stats from AusGAF 5*:
I say 360 a lot more than Xbox.

Also
psdii20jjv.png

First circle is when I have lunch at work and the spill into actual work time when I am still posting on GAF and my managers think I am still within my half hour lunch break time.

Second circle is after I get home from work and do the errands around the house and then proceed to ignore my family once I have sustenance in arms reach.

I think my head is going to explode from that SFvTekken DLC on disc thread. There is a Defence force for everything on Gaf.
I fucking hate the practise but it comes with the business landscape now days. Day One DLC that is crammed on the disc at manufacturing that was created after the development cycle I am iffy on but agree that it would NOT have been created if the publisher didn't think they could recoup the extra development time.
I expect a lot of developers use day one DLC in order to create more assets than they would otherwise be allowed to do with their budget by the publisher. Like in this instance the publisher would have said we have X amount of dollars for this outlined content, if you want to make more content we will HAVE TO PUT AN ADDITIONAL X DOLLARS IN TO MAKE IT. To which the publisher would agree that selling it as DLC would recoup that cost.
At the same time consumer VALUE focused publishers would throw it in for free (i.e. Valve) as they know fanboys will give them blowjobs all over the internet for the nice work.
This then comes down to if publishers believe the DLC money is more important to them than fostering that extra bit of good will towards them. SO FAR THE GOODWILL SEEMS TO MEAN FUCK ALL TOWARDS FUTURE SALES OF GAMES FOR THAT PUBLISHER. Consumers have accepted Project $10 and fuckloads of DLC going up for sale by buying more and more games. If sales for a publisher drops they may look into changing their strategy.

You don't own ANY of your games. You have a licence and you have physical control over physical games.
You WON'T be persecuted for maintaining control over something you have paid with the goodwill entailed in being a consumer. If EA ban your Origin account you should feel comfortable downloading a cracked version of the game to play. ANYONE that tells you that you shouldn't has a fucking problem.

You can't make a copy of that book. You have the physical item in your possession and a license to read that book. You can unofficially onsell that book just as you can with videogames.

Jeddumars

Neo Member
Hey AusGaf,

I've been keeping pretty low profile for awhile. Too much moving getting used to Aussie and tons of reading to do here at uni. I haven't written a academic paper in years so I'm also brushing up on that.

Thanks for the recommendations for the cooper beer. Its pretty good. Other then that k

I say 360 a lot more than Xbox.

Also
psdii20jjv.png

First circle is when I have lunch at work and the spill into actual work time when I am still posting on GAF and my managers think I am still within my half hour lunch break time.
Interestingly, when I checked for the frequency of '360' (again, in the first 256 characters of each post) it only appeared about 30 times in the whole of AusGAF 5/5.

I thought I'd post the habits of you three most prolific guys as it gives an insight on how you post, but as I linked to the data it's possible for anyone to chop the data to see this stuff for themselves. Choc tails off quickly at the end of the work day too.

Yagharek

I don't own the story, just the media on which it was delivered. Just like with games. And movies. And music.

The unfortunate difference is that unlike games, you can still read your book if the publisher goes under, if their distributors go under, and if Penguin loses its email servers you can still read the final chapter of all their books.

Games are being divided across physical media and temporal services. Lockout on Halo 2 or Paris in PGR2 no longer exist meaningfully (arguably they were never meaningful anyway). This will only get worse in future. I'll be able to play The Perfect Run in Mario Galaxy 2 in 20 years time, but in 4 or 5 years time, not one Xbox will let you play as catwoman. You will only be able to play 80% of the shit in bioware games. FIFA will call you a dirty pirate when you play it, and street fighter v will limit you to Ken vs ryu only.

Didn't Amazon remove access to thousands of people's books on Kindle a year or two ago? If it's delivered digitally and has DRM then access can be revoked. Doesn't matter what it is.

Jintor

I'm probably going to end up rebuying a fair amount of the Kindle books I really like anyway... :|

I'm a publisher's dream

So the owner of bulbapedia is a lecturer at University of Queensland. :p

:( I hope your foot gets better reptile. Was the mole looking dangerous or something?

Danoss

So, I don't know what my work rights are, but I feel like venting because I'm fuming at the moment.

On Thursday, we moved into a new office at work. We're working to a deadline for this Thursday, and I've been working my arse off and everything is on schedule that is within my control. I went to make a cup of tea with a work colleague (no calls are incoming, so that isn't a concern here).

Boss sees us doing so and asks "what are you doing?"
"Making a cup of tea."
"Have you had your lunch break?"
"Yes."
"Look, we don't have time for this. We're working to a deadline here and we can't afford to take the time to make a cup of tea. Don't let me see you doing this again."
(Bear in mind, making a cup of tea wasn't an uncommon occurrence before this point and was never a concern).

The message was then passed to the rest of the team. 30 min lunch breaks will be adhered to, not a minute more. No making tea or coffee will be allowed, with the possibility of this being relaxed once product launch has occurred.

A meeting is called for the next day (Friday just gone) at 8:50am, 10 mins before usual start time. I'm there 10 mins earlier as is my usual and no one is there to open the office until 9:10am, but it's not even the boss who called the meeting. He turns up about 11:30am without a mention of the meeting.

Meeting gets called this morning. Boss has been singing mine and my work colleagues praises since I started there. Today he says "I heard from these 2 other managers that when I'm out of the office, work productivity falls to zero, you guys are slacking off". You wanna know what happened? We talked... about work... how to improve the product, get more customers and do things better. Wow, talk about bludging!

Now, the launch party is on Thursday night. They've roped my work colleague into DJing the gig for peanuts compared to what her usual rate of pay is (I told her not to settle for less, but it seemed to be the only way out of what I'm just about to mention). Then they spring on us that we'll be actually doing work at this party, as it's not for our enjoyment. The "party" is designed for us to gain more customers by handing out leaflets and trying to sign up clients. They have no intention of paying us for our time that night.

Now as for tea breaks, I don't think they are mandatory for morning and afternoon, though they can be depending on the Award it falls under. I understand usually it's a nice gesture a workplace offers. I think since we're on the phones in front of the computer, we're at least entitled to a stretch every 2 hours for our muscles and eyes. Oh, did I mention we're on laptops? I think that's an OH&S thing since the monitors aren't at eye level and are causing me back pain. I'm sure others are more informed with workplace standards than I am.

I know I'm probably nit-picking here, but the workplace has become quite miserable. I don't want to be taken advantage of, though I know my job isn't secure as a casual. 2 other people were fired without warning (1 hour minimum allowed) due to "budget constraints". I'm not concerned if I'm let go, I may even walk out, but I would like the chance to find another job before I bail.

As for the unpaid party event, I won't be turning up to that as we're not being paid and I believe we would are fully entitled to be. If they want work done, they must pay for it. If we're able to enjoy ourselves and have fun like everyone else, they don't have to pay a cent, sadly this isn't the case.

Apologies for the poorly structured information above, I'm a bit on edge at the moment.

Danoss don't go to the party, that's bullshit! (excuse me). That's so misleading. Your boss sounds really kind of terrible, to be honest. I don't know if you can safely report him to the higher ups about missing meetings etc, but it might be a good idea (especially if you're thinking of leaving anyway). As for the tea, its their decision but having a short break can greatly improve your productivity...

Games are being divided across physical media and temporal services. Lockout on Halo 2 or Paris in PGR2 no longer exist meaningfully (arguably they were never meaningful anyway). This will only get worse in future. I'll be able to play The Perfect Run in Mario Galaxy 2 in 20 years time, but in 4 or 5 years time, not one Xbox will let you play as catwoman. You will only be able to play 80% of the shit in bioware games. FIFA will call you a dirty pirate when you play it, and street fighter v will limit you to Ken vs ryu only.
Similar to games from the 90's and 80's. We will always find a way. Look at GOG and Steam, making it easier to play games that don't play properly on modern day computers.
Worst case scenario the game you want to play that you bought 5 years ago is on Usenet. I'm not advocating piracy, just that once you buy a product you should make sure you always have access to it as long as you don't abuse it.

:( I hope your foot gets better reptile. Was the mole looking dangerous or something?
Only arrived about a month ago, hasn't gotten any bigger but is almost black in colour which is out of step with all the other ones which are brownish.

But holy crap, who has time to teach, do university research, and run an internet wiki?
lol University lecturers. They have a lot of downtime.

So, I don't know what my work rights are, but I feel like venting because I'm fuming at the moment.
Search for another job. If things don't get better before the end of the month jump ship. If things get worse check this out. Plenty of work out there mate.

Danoss

Danoss don't go to the party, that's bullshit! (excuse me). That's so misleading. Your boss sounds really kind of terrible, to be honest. I don't know if you can safely report him to the higher ups about missing meetings etc, but it might be a good idea (especially if you're thinking of leaving anyway). As for the tea, its their decision but having a short break can greatly improve your productivity...

Management are all friends unfortunately. There are like 3 of us who didn't know everyone before being employed. So any complaints would fall on deaf ears. Never a good scenario as it breeds double standards as I've already witnessed.

I won't go to the party, they can take a running jump. It seems that they're trying to play the 'team' and 'loyalty' cards when they're not exhibiting anything of the sort themselves.

Short breaks do improve creativity. I was reading an OH&S site earlier that encouraged them when fatigue sets in and when productivity is down. prety obvious stuff really. Generousity goes a long way with me and treating me like a child just breeds resentment.

Search for another job. If things don't get better before the end of the month jump ship. If things get worse check this out. Plenty of work out there mate.

Thanks man. The more I look on that site, the more I think I'm not on an award at all, which would mean I can't argue anything.

My resume is still rubbish, with the massive 3 year gap I mentioned a while back. I'd rather go back to unemployment than put up with bullshit at work.

That's bullshit danoss. Especially the "party". That sounds straight up illegal. I'd fuck off after the deadline.

And while it is the law that you o my have a license to software its bullshit. Once you purchase it it should be yours. It's one issue I have with digital distribution, much easier to enforce and for people to accept it's a license with only digital copies. I know that's ridiculous but mentally without a physical copy I could see people accepting it.

I'm not sure if that makes sense at all.

Also stop drawing boobs on the graphs rep

Jintor

MLG wanted to have Capcom games. Some community big wigs had enough sway to make Capcom say no apparently. Now MLG is getting stuff like MK9 and SC5 with some relatively big prize pools for fighting games. Missed opportunity for the Capcom games to have more exposure and more money.

Is MLG primarily Starcraft duders?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Is MLG primarily Starcraft duders?

Now yes, but when SC2 started it was on a side screen with a crowd of like 50 people.

The arguments the Fighting game crowd have is that they want to keep it community driven and don't want to make it professional.

Boken

Banned
Do GalaxyWorld and Capitol skill testers count?

They should make a tournament based on skill testers.

EDIT: how could I forget timezone.

Didn't Amazon remove access to thousands of people's books on Kindle a year or two ago? If it's delivered digitally and has DRM then access can be revoked. Doesn't matter what it is.
The issue in this case was that Amazon found out that the publisher of the book did not have the rights to sell certain books in several countries. This meant that all copies of the books were revoked.

Yeah, it's not something that could happen with a physical book but it was slightly more understandable than a company just revoking the book for shits and giggles. Amazon refunded everyone because they are awesome and even though they weren't at fault.

markot

Banned
I think that the Playstation really kinda killed arcades >.> at least it was around that time when they started closing.

I remember playing sf2 in the arcade when I was a kid... well not an arcade but 'an arcade machine' in this small shopping mall outside of coles.

But the whole crowd that stuck around arcades were generally pretty off putting, there were the 'pros' and the drugged up dudes who were probably using the joints as drop off points. Yeah, they werent all that welcoming >.<

Jintor

Now yes, but when SC2 started it was on a side screen with a crowd of like 50 people.

The arguments the Fighting game crowd have is that they want to keep it community driven and don't want to make it professional.

I can respect that. What little I know about the SC stream is a very, very different feel to the FCG stuff I've attended. It's probably a little warped though since the scene for both in AU (and in Sydney) is relatively small.

Really, it's up to the FCG... and Capcom.

Deeku

I haven't been to an arcade in aaaages. Mostly because of all the dodgy folk that hang around them. But man, Timezone birthday parties were THE BEST back then!

And who could forget Sega World...:(

oipic

Yo, AusGAF, I heard you like stats (and if you didn't, too bad), so here are some stats from AusGAF 5*:

Outstanding work, cods. Already looking forward to your insightful trend analysis when this data is eventually compared to AusGAF 6. My outlandish early tip: cooler weather leads to more posts on weekends (although that might be more apparent come AusGAF 7?).

Hey AusGaf,

I've been keeping pretty low profile for awhile. Too much moving getting used to Aussie and tons of reading to do here at uni. I haven't written a academic paper in years so I'm also brushing up on that.

Thanks for the recommendations for the cooper beer. Its pretty good. Other then that k

Hey Jedd - my apologies, but do you mind me asking what it is that you're studying? How are you finding the (wet?) weather in Toowoomba? A friend (from here in Melbourne) lived and studied there for a couple of years, and loved it.

That moment you realise you have 5Gb of screenshots in your FRAPS folder on an SSD :|

Syndicate

(excuse the awful quality shots, not sure why FRAPS fucked it so much, looks much better in motion, didn't have d3doverrider on though)

14q5eg.jpg

2kl0t9.jpg

3uv2jr.jpg

4va4vi.jpg

5gx27y.jpg

6te13n.jpg

Not enough brostep. Second foray into mute protagonist FPS video game writing for Richard Morgan. Looks a bit like Deus Ex Human Revolution. But the artists were forced to listen to brostep while drawing.

A good rental. Linear. Guns make shit fuck dawg.

3/5 - Better than expected, a missed opportunity undercooked.

(played on PC using a 360 controller with settings on high, blah blah blah, about 5-6 hours long)

My resume is still rubbish, with the massive 3 year gap I mentioned a while back. I'd rather go back to unemployment than put up with bullshit at work.
It was good enough to get this job right? Don't add this work to your resume, just shop around your original one since you have only been there a short time.

If you DO end up going to the party use it to make some connections you can follow up on when you quit, see if there are any other jobs going around. The best way to find your next job is through the people you meet at your current one. Everything in this world is who you know, not what you know.

Also stop drawing boobs on the graphs rep
Sorry if I am making you all hot and bothered.
Or am I?
6nomh.jpg

Competitive gaming? More like Stupid Dumb Lameing!
Bulbapedia? More like the poor mans Serebii.net!
SEhJx.jpg

markot

Banned
Syndicate? More like an awful pile of vomit on childhood memories!

Why are people buying it?! Next youll be buying the Xcom fps and ignoring the stratagy game!

GAF gets blocked at work and I miss the new thread? That makes me a little sad :(

lol, I guess they found you out :p Unless there are other gaffers at your work.

@Jeddumars: you should come to Supanova on the gold coast in April. Its not tooo far from toowoomba (well, maybe a bit :p but its still pretty great if you're into nerdy things).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom