• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 2 Remake : Is it cancel?

What do you think is going to happen with Resident Evil 2's Remake?

Results are only viewable after voting.

liquidtmd

Banned
Whatever style it is. Someone is getting mad.

Undoubtedly.

At this point I hope they don't frankenstein / hybrid it in the hopes to appease all. I'd rather them go in with one set approach and piss off more people short term in the hope of making a cohesive product.

I don't see how anyone could be legitimately mad if it's an old-school RE game with updated graphics. It's a remake of a classic game, not RE8.

Hell I was there back in '96, but ultimately the series attracted a lot of new fans with 4 and 4-6 are the ones with a lot of the ports / attention for the last 10 years or so.

They'll just roll into the threads stomping their feet saying 'thats not MY Resident Evil'

KiNolin

Horror games can work in that pace;
Fatal Frame, Silent Hill, Dreadout, Siren..

Is just a pacing and atmosphere problem

It can work for these games and these games also aren't RE2. We have plenty of TPS, there's no need for another one with an arbitrary RE2 skin. A modernized classic survival horror game is infinitely more interesting.

Piers

I don't think it's the sort of game Capcom would want to show much, if anything of, until it's close to completion.
They'll probably make it over-the-shoulder as the standard mode and fixed-camera as DLC (free or paid)/unlockable mode after finishing standard.
Which means no pre-rendered backgrounds.

I don't think it's the sort of game Capcom would want to show much, if anything of, until it's close to completion.
They'll probably make it over-the-shoulder as the standard mode and fixed-camera as DLC (free or paid)/unlockable mode after finishing standard.
Which means no pre-rendered backgrounds.
God no. I hope if they do a TPS camera it is a bonus and just for fun,balance be damned.

kc44135

It's hardly been 2 years since it was greenlit. We're still in the boundaries of "completely normal development schedule for a big retail game". It's not like the development started with 100% efficiency & a 3000 man team since day 1. Even if it's a remake, they still have to go through some planning & ramp up development from zero + if it's anything like REmake, it won't be a total copy-paste job in terms of design/content, but they might add new rooms/locations, story, puzzles & even tweak the gameplay, so those add to the development time as well.
Er, I think you misinterpreted my comment. I'm aware of all of this. I just think that, as more time goes on, it becomes less and less likely that Capcom will pursue classic RE gameplay with REmake 2. I hope I'm wrong.
People who are saying about just the same game with better backgrounds... had played remake or any classic re recently? Because I do not want that AT ALL.

RE4 is my favorite game of all-time, and there no other co-op games I'd rather sit down and play than RE5 and 6. I said in another thread just last night that Action RE is the best RE, and I totally stand by that. However, this game is supposed to be Resident Evil 2, and it can't be RE2 without fixed camera angles. If you change the perspective, you change everything, and if you do that, what was the point of remaking it in the first place. Why not just make a new game instead?

Everything in the older games was carefully designed around the perspective, and even just allowing the player to see what's ahead of them, and allowing them to aim at enemies, changes the game completely. RE4 and RE7 show that the classic formula doesn't work without the classic gameplay. The minute you give the player the ability to aim, you give them the ability to miss, which means you have to design the game so that they can't easily run out of ammo (i.e. dynamic difficulty that gives you supplies when you're low on them). RE2 was able to balance the game around very specific amounts of ammo and resources, but won't be able to do that with a modern combat stay or perspective. Of course, fixed camera angles also add a great deal to the atmosphere of any game (arguably the most important aspect of a horror game), and make it feel like you're playing through a Horror movie, which is fantastic.

As for whether or not those older games hold up, I think they do. All of the classic games are still phenomenal horror experiences that hold up remarkably well (visuals of the PS1 era games aside). Also, yes, I played REmake HD and RE Zero HD with Tank controls exclusively, and still loved them. However, you can do fixed camera angles without tank controls as well, and the two are not as intrinsically linked as many would believe. The key is to make sure that the enemy ai is capable of keeping up with the player, that camera angles changes are not constant or disorienting, and that combat relies on auto-aim for the purpose of being able to be very strict with resources (ammo especially) for the player.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Hell I was there back in '96, but ultimately the series attracted a lot of new fans with 4 and 4-6 are the ones with a lot of the ports / attention for the last 10 years or so.

They'll just roll into the threads stomping their feet saying 'thats not MY Resident Evil'

Ugh, I'm already irritated by these posts and we haven't even seen a trailer yet. I can understand where they are coming from, RE means a lot of things to a lot of different people, as it has remained relevant through 4 different console generations over 20 years.

Getting angry over remake of a game having the same type of gameplay seems silly to me though, if they did a full on remake of RE4 would people get angry if it wasn't first-person?

Sayad

No. That's marketing.
Maybe when the game is complete and ready to be shipped, marketing might plan for what to show but they aren't going to go through a still in development game polishing things up so they're ready to be shown! We also have enough stories about devs doing crunch time to get that reveal trailer ready.

And don't be silly, Capcom have no idea what marketing is, hard to imagine them having marketing team:
yXEzVUm.jpg

Jawmuncher

I don't see how anyone could be legitimately mad if it's an old-school RE game with updated graphics. It's a remake of a classic game, not RE8. Anyone that does get angry about this has unrealistic expectations.

There's still a large amount of people who don't like the older fixes style. Some are gonna feel REmake means something like FF7R

I think it depends on the scale and budget they're going for. If they have a large budget for the game and are essentiallty treating it like RE8 (since the actually RE8 is a ways off) that could change what they do with it.

Still someone gets mad. People expecting a new experience and style or those wanting something very close to to original with some changes like (REmake). Both camps aren't getting what they want at least in that sense.

nelo_inc

I don't believe Capcom would canceled it, but a project like this takes a lot of time..

It will release along Final Fantasy VII Remake in 20??

kc44135

Ugh, I'm already irritated by these posts and we haven't even seen a trailer yet. I can understand where they are coming from, RE means a lot of things to a lot of different people, as it has remained relevant through 4 different console generations over 20 years.

Getting angry over remake of a game having the same type of gameplay seems silly to me though, if they did a full on remake of RE4 would people get angry if it wasn't first-person?

Yeah, this is my point exactly. This is supposed to be a remake, so shouldn't it be faithful to the original to some degree? I mean, imagine if I came into this thread and said "man, I love DMC! I hope RE2 is a character action game where you fight horses of zombies with swords n' guns, and you get to do smoking sick combos on Birkin!". Surely, no one here would be supportive of such an idea, yes? And why? Because it's a completely different style of game from the original, and has nothing to do with RE2.

I love RE4, but asking for the RE2 REmake to made in the same style as it (or RE7) is asking for it to be a completely different style of game that is in no way shape or form representative of the original vision for this game. And no, you can't fully replicate traditional Survival Horror in the same vein as RE2 without fixed camera angles, as many modern horror games have shown

FRS1987

Totally forgot about this announcement. In hindsight maybe it was too soon to make this that announcement. They also prob want to keep the focus on RE7 for now to not draw away from it.

kc44135

Totally forgot about this announcement. In hindsight maybe it was too soon to make this that announcement. They also prob want to keep the focus on RE7 for now to now draw away from it.

I'm sure that was the case last year at E3, and early this year when RE7 released, but I really doubt that's the reasoning for holding back now (assuming it doesn't show up at TGS or PSX this year, which I think it will). RE7 has had it's time, and it's already gotten the majority of sales it's going to get. I'm sure Capcom knows this. If RE2 doesn't show at some point this year, it's probably just not ready to be shown.

Jawmuncher

If it's a TGS. I think this'll be the one game that breaks the whole "release with a year of being shown" rule. IMO I'd expect a short teaser like we see Leon and a logo and nothing else too big.

dracula_x

There's still a large amount of people who don't like the older fixes style. Some are gonna feel REmake means something like FF7R

I think it depends on the scale and budget they're going for. If they have a large budget for the game and are essentiallty treating it like RE8 (since the actually RE8 is a ways off) that could change what they do with it.

Still someone gets mad. People expecting a new experience and style or those wanting something very close to to original with some changes like (REmake). Both camps aren't getting what they want at least in that sense.
it's remake, not a spin-off

level design in RE2 is incompatible with action style. If they choose "action" route, then it would be a completely different game.

Jawmuncher

it's remake, not a spin-off

level design in RE2 is incompatible with action style. If they choose "action" route, then it would be a completely different game.

I think the original remake of RE1 blinds to many people. A remake doesn't have to be like that. In essence they can remake any game and do whatever they want gameplay wise. That's all I'm saying. I personally don't care what style RE2 is in since it's not one of my favorites.

Elfstar

Of course they're going to offer both the original fixed camera and the behind-the-shoulders one, just like the Unreal Engine fanmade remake they blocked.

And i mean, why not?

With today's graphics' quality, there's no reason to go with prerendered backgrounds anymore, just fix the camera and you're done, and at that point, you can also make the game more appealing to the RE4 fans with a free camera. Hell, also a first person one could be available.

Just make people choose, like you did with tank controls, and everyone will be happy (?).

dracula_x

I think the original remake of RE1 blinds to many people. A remake doesn't have to be like that. In essence they can remake any game and do whatever they want gameplay wise. That's all I'm saying. I personally don't care what style RE2 is in since it's not one of my favorites.

That wouldn't be "remake" then. "Re-imagining" more likely.

Action style means all will be different except story and characters.

kc44135

Of course they're going to offer both the original fixed camera and the behind-the-shoulders one, just like the Unreal Engine fanmade remake they blocked.

And i mean, why not?

With today's graphics' quality, there's no reason to go with prerendered backgrounds anymore, just fix the camera and you're done, and at that point, you can also make the game more appealing to the RE4 fans with a free camera. Hell, also a first person one could be available.

Just make people choose, like you did with tank controls, and everyone will be happy (?).
That's not as easy as you think it is. The mechanics used in one perspective won't translate well to another. If you design the game around aiming at enemies and shooting them in the head, etc. that style of combat won't very well with a fixed perspective (just look at RE5: Lost in Nightmares). If you design the game around auto-aim, RE4/7 fans wouldn't be very happy that at all, not to mention it would probably be disorienting having the camera constantly spin around and snap to enemies. If you want multiple perspectives on this game, you're essentially asking Capcom to make multiple games, which I think is far outside the scope of this particular project, and probably just a bad idea in general.

The silence makes me worried they don't know what to do with it.

I wonder if they thought about outsourcing it to that fan team, who ... if I recall ... was invited to Capcom to talk about it? I've been worried about the project ever since that development.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Every thread we have on the Resident Evil 2 remake, be it before, during and after its reveal is going to be same divisive thing, isn't it? Just for reactions I almost hope they'd go the RE7 route and turn it completely into a first-person thing. The salt would be legendary :).

The TPS route for this remake appeals more to me personally because 4 and 5 are among my favourite games in the series and it would be more of a new experience instead of an old game getting a new coat of paint, and that new experience would, in this case, be something I'd be much more interested in then revisiting something familiar, with some tweaks and a bit shinier. Also, ORC was a disaster and I would love to see Capcom's version of a Raccoon City in full, glorious current-gen graphics.

The silence makes me worried they don't know what to do with it.

I wonder if they thought about outsourcing it to that fan team, who ... if I recall ... was invited to Capcom to talk about it? I've been worried about the project ever since that development.
Dude it's only been in development for 2 years, it was announced way too early. I appreciate them acknowledging it's existence but with that comes worry like this. It will be out within a year I bet.

Jawmuncher

That wouldn't be "remake" then. "Re-imagining" more likely.

Action style means all will be different except story and characters.

Sure. But companies will do whatever they want. FF7R is definitely a reimagining but it's still being touted as a remake first and foremost.

Shifty

b-b-but "we do it" though

Edit: rofl it's turned into another one of these fanbase infighting threads. oh ResiGAF.

You don't need tank controls, but there absolutely should *not* be behind the shoulder cameras.

Siren is a very effective horror game with an over the shoulder system.

Dude it's only been in development for 2 years, it was announced way too early. I appreciate them acknowledging it's existence but with that comes worry like this. It will be out within a year I bet.

I guess I was wrong when I didn't believe what appeared to be theatrics when it was first announced.

Elfstar

That's not as easy as you think it is. The mechanics used in one perspective won't translate well to another. If you design the game around aiming at enemies and shooting them in the head, etc. that style of combat won't very well with a fixed perspective (just look at RE5: Lost in Nightmares). If you design the game around auto-aim, RE4/7 fans wouldn't be very happy that at all, not to mention it would probably be disorienting having the camera constantly spin around and snap to enemies. If you want multiple perspectives on this game, you're essentially asking Capcom to make multiple games, which I think is far outside the scope of this particular project, and probably just a bad idea in general.

Yes, i know. I've also played that RE5 dlc, and sure, that was bad, but the fixed camera mode was just an extremely half-assed hidden easter egg in that case.

I'm just saying, the original Resident Evil was designed around tank controls and not direct movements, but yet the REbirth hd port made people choose, even if that spoiled the game making it way easier, and everyone was happy anyway.
And that should be the way to go in my opinion: just build the game around fixed perspective and auto aim, and then offer a choice to the people that just want a "modern" third person adventure, even if this breaks the game at least mildly, people would be happy again.

Dr Thor

Neo Member
I feel this way as well. I've pretty much accepted it won't be the game I want now, and it's frankly killed a lot of my hype for the game. I think it will probably be a TPS, potentially with co-op elements, to attempt to get the largest audience possible (I would hate this). It could also be an FPS, since RE7 was well received and we know REmake 2 will be running on it's engine (despite loving RE7, I would hate this even more). I love Classic fixed camera angles and Classic RE gameplay, and would vastly prefer REmake 2 to be made in that style and remain true to the original, but no doubt a lot of money was sunk into this project. I doubt Capcom will take a risk like that, all things considered, so it is what it is. :(

So a completely imaginary scenario for which there's no evidence and which directly contradicts the most recent remakes has killed your hype?

groansey

Now you've all got me excited for a reveal at TGS.
If this is as good a remake as REmake, then I will lay down $100's on a collectors edition.
Take me over a barrel, Capcom.

This was greenlit over the success of the REmake re-release selling well.

If this is anything other than REmake 2 I and many others will be pissed.

Sure. But companies will do whatever they want. FF7R is definitely a reimagining but it's still being touted as a remake first and foremost.

I think the FFVII situation is worth noting, if only for how different it is. Individual combat encounters may be handled differently, but it'll still ultimately be a JRPG about collecting materia, getting stronger, and fighting untold volumes of enemies. FFVII isn't that different from Star Ocean 2, an action JRPG released a year later. Not on a fundamental level. Players still approach the games the same basic way.

Resident Evil 2 is in a very different situation. The big picture could change.

liquidtmd

Banned
Now you've all got me excited for a reveal at TGS.
If this is as good a remake as REmake, then I will lay down $100's on a collectors edition.
Take me over a barrel, Capcom.

Yeah, in my entire gaming life there's three products I'll give a free wallet pass to

REMake 2, Shenmue 3 and FFVII Remake
in the absence of Konami not getting Bluepoint to do a collectors bundle of Silent Hill 1-4

Odes to my teenage years when I enjoyed their predecessors to death, and when I had far longer free time to sink into them

mrmickfran

Maybe the reason why they were taking for so long is because they were waiting for Kamiya to finish Scalebound so that he can direct the remake.

lol

Top Bottom