• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Looking for a new wallet recommendation for < $350. Help!

WaterAstro

This is under $350.

Xcy64ca.jpg

I love it when people that can afford it spend money stupid like this. Helps out the broader economy = helps out my broad-based stock ETF's.
I say a wallet that costs less than $1000 isn't one worth having, OP. You're better than that and gosh darn it you deserve the best! You should also get a matching $1000 belt as well as $1000 matching shoes.

Number_6

5f14c23c-9b1d-4edf-82fb-96bb2d3b3ddb_1.5211d9d3f7601247a0d7da31dd1be422.jpeg

I've been using this Storus money clip/card holder for 12+ years. It doesn't wear down. It helps me cut down on clutter. It's easier to remove/insert bills and cards. It's awesome.

It's like, $30-$60 depending on where you buy. Admittedly, I never bought mine. My dad worked at a company that manufactured them for Storus, and he had some spares at the house.

That kind of money for a wallet just seems insane to me. I think I spend $20 for my leather wallet at Macy's.

Don't believe I've even spent that then again I haven't bought a wallet in like 20 years because the one I bought back then last one lasted me like 15 years before it fell apart and my current, which I've been using since, was a birthday gift from my mother and I know for sure she didn't spend more than $10. I also had a friend who sent me one as a gift at around the same time so whenever my current one needs replacing I already have a back up. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

Prez

I'm curious, what makes a €80 Bellroy better than a €50 Timberland wallet? Or does it not really matter at that point?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Haha, I initially read the title as the OP was looking for a wallet that held less than $350. What a damn price range, wow.

Tigress

Spending a little more is worth it. A genuine leather wallet (like the ones from Saddleback) will cost at least $50-$100, but will last pretty much forever.

That $20 wallet is going to fall apart.

I dunno, I have a 20 dollar wallet I got as a teen that still is going strong (leather and all). Granted I've stopped using it cause my mom bought me a new one a few years back (that is much bigger but I can organize better... not sure if the trade off was worth it as this one doesn't fit in my purse as well but now I like having all the pockets so it would be hard to go back. I kept the old one though). But I had that thing and used it for about 20 years and last I looked at it it still is in good shape (I kept it though I forget where I put it now).

(Well and also it's now at least 23-25 years old so 20 bux back then went farther but ti still wasn't the equivelant of a 300 dollar wallet today I don't think).

snap

Banned
straight up at $350 you might as well make one of those paper wallets out of money. you know the ones that use cardstock? that, but out of dollar bills

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I bought my nice black leather wallet thats lasted me... Oh god like a decade? From some dude under a bridge for 20 bucks. Check underneath bridges OP, 20 bucks goes a long way down there.

Syriel

TIL that wallets can cost 3 figures. Though i suppose anything can be a designer product.

Some people buy for price.
Some people buy for quality.
Some people buy as a status symbol.

Overpriced designer products are there not because of some massive increase in quality over the competition, but as a way to tell others how much money you make.

The $17,000 Apple Watch is a perfect example.

Yeah, I spend high amounts on lots of stuff but a wallet isn't one of them.

Feels like, much like purses, something you spend big money on specifically to impress people who actually give a shit about them.
But unlike a purse, your wallet's going to be in your pocket 99% of the time. Who's going to see it?

ew

timbs directly refers to boots and nothing else. thats like buying heinz mustard
wat

Desi

Always late but wanted to throw my recommendation in: La Portegna zip wallet. I used over IDF there card cases myself and love it. Great hand feel and nicer worn in details.
111915115.jpg

aBarreras

how the fuck is a wallet budget up to 350 fucking dollars?!! holy shit

mine is a zelda one, no brand, worth 150 pesos, which the equivalent to 8.5 dollars, it is alright.

Minus_Me

Some people buy for price.
Some people buy for quality.
Some people buy as a status symbol.

Overpriced designer products are there not because of some massive increase in quality over the competition, but as a way to tell others how much money you make.

The $17,000 Apple Watch is a perfect example.

Why do a lot of people assume this?

besada

Banned
Buy a black leather trifold wallet and quit worrying about the fashion of your wallet. A decent one will last a lifetime.

Just go to Sears and get a standard leather wallet for like $20. It'll last you a decade if you don't accidentally wash it or something.

Do people actually pay more than $50 for a wallet?

Seriously, I saw this topic and had to do a double take. Mine cost about $30. Do people really care that much?

Buy a black leather trifold wallet and quit worrying about the fashion of your wallet. A decent one will last a lifetime.
For real, I'm 23 and have had the same plain black leather wallet from Sears clearance for 7 years... I don't carry cash either, much less several hundred emergency bills.

nitewulf

I love it when people that can afford it spend money stupid like this. Helps out the broader economy = helps out my broad-based stock ETF's.
I say a wallet that costs less than $1000 isn't one worth having, OP. You're better than that and gosh darn it you deserve the best! You should also get a matching $1000 belt as well as $1000 matching shoes.

yeah this doesn't sound bitter at all...

Digging the Belroy and Tanner olive wallets posted itt. Haters are free to go back to discussing the best anime to watch to learn how to understand emotions.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No kidding, right? $350 on a wallet? I mean, spend your money however you want man, but wow...

People spend more than $20 on a wallet?

lmfao, a $350 wallet? What are you compensating for...

I don't understand this thread. Buy a $5 wallet and take a vacation.

What insanely useless posts.

how the fuck is a wallet budget up to 350 fucking dollars?!! holy shit

mine is a zelda one, no brand, worth 150 pesos, which the equivalent to 8.5 dollars, it is alright.

Yeah OP ignore what you want just get a 10 dollar zelda wallet.

breakfuss

Haters are free to go back to discussing the best anime to watch to learn how to understand emotions.

LOL nobody is hating on a $350 wallet. I'm grateful i have enough goddamn sense to not desire such a thing. But thank you for the little anime dig...I seriously did laugh out loud.

nitewulf

There are people here that literally buy every copy of every Final Fantasy or Resident Evil game. Every edition on multiple platforms.

LOL nobody is hating on a $350 wallet. I'm grateful i have enough goddamn sense to not desire such a thing. But thank you for the little anime dig...I seriously did laugh out loud.

It's a callback to some old silly GAF post &#128521;
And I think plenty of people are hating on both the wallets and the people who want to buy them. But it's all good - I guess I just don't see how all of the "my $10 wallet is good enough" posts are helpful at all. If the OP wanted a $10 wallet from Target, he would have just bought one. Sometimes people's opinions don't need to be heard and contribute nothing.

My dad bought me some leather wallet when I was 17 and I'm using it many... many years later. I have no need for anything more and this has some real value as a gift. But, can't hate on spending good money for good products. Get what you want, but I can't help in the ~$350 wallet game.

maven

I had a belroy for a few years. It was ok. Not as slim as they carry on about once you jam it full of stuff.

Currently using a wallet from tailfeather (https://tailfeather.com.au/collections/wallets). Handmade in Australia. Horween or kangaroo leather. Mine is the new Holland with a coin pouch, but they have lots of options. The horween leather is pretty chunky. My wife has a purse of theirs made from roo leather (much thinner than cow) and it is beautiful.

The other one I see mentioned is the Mitchell leather money clip wallet. Haven't seen one in person, but have heard good things. Pretty minimalist, but they make small runs out of exotic stuff like shell cordovan, bison and alligator.

Want my advice? Here is it.

Bought in 2001. Hot topic. Some rust on the buttons, a few loose threads. Been through washing machines, to the bottom of deep freshwater lakes, arctic conditions, and near-jungle conditions.

For all that abuse? I paid 5 bucks. And I am ashamed to say that my dad has a three fold wallet from the 70s he got... god only knows where that still serves him well. Don't overspend on a wallet when something cheap can serve you for decades or more. It's a wallet, to be pulled out once a day. Who cares if it has class, odds are nobody will see it. And if they do, say it's just what works and holds it's own and leave it at that.

Top Bottom