• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parking outside of other peoples house.

I dont' see why, you don't own the street. Random people park in my street and I never have a free spor for me but I don't care because I understand street parking is for everyone.

I find more dickish to pretend you own the street just because you have a house there tbh..

Assuming there's enough space for everyone on the street to park their car, it's a bit rude to park outside someone elses house. Inconveniencing them by forcing them to park further away just because you don't trust your own skills as a driver is just a bit shitty, but not illegal

Similar thing happens where I used to live quite often, where people from outside the city would commute in to work and park on the streets where I lived, meaning the people who lived there had nowhere to park when they got home from work. It's not illegal but it's certainly rude and I can get why people would be annoyed by it and I don't even drive.

I think you can park anywhere as long as it is not marked? Even if you own the house, you don't own any part of the road as far as I understand it. Though I guess it depends on where you live.

For context, i only passed my test a week ago and am not exactly the best at parking in tight spaces. The area i live is also very hilly and the spot I've been using is one of the only flat area. As i'm in the UK i drive a manual car and hill starts / reverse hill starts aren't exactly the easiest manoeuvre and i was cautious about rolling into another car.

how the fuck are you allowed to get a driver's license if you can't even park on slopes

see5harp

We have a neighbor who runs a yard business. He parks four to six huge business trucks on the street outside his house. I estimate he takes up about 14 or 15 car spaces. One day he put two outside my house, forcing me to park a block away. So I walked to his house, knocked on his door and told him that if he ever did that again I would have every single truck he owns towed, since it's illegal to permanently park commercial vehicles in domestic spaces. He hasn't parked on my block since. But I'm astonished his neighbors put up with it.

In an urban sort of area with no driveways, this would still not drive me to anger. What pisses me off is living in a suburban area but my neighbor parking his Comcast van in front of my house everyday when he has a two car garage and driveway. Literally every morning when I drink my coffee it's like a giant Comcast ad in front of my face.

dose

keep parking there as its a public road and he/she has no claim over the spot
This. It's a public road and you can park where you like.
I'm guessing you're not parking in front of a driveway?

-----------------
......(car)......
^ that's two spaces.

you must park either:
-----------------
(car)............
or
-----------------
.............(car)

This.

I mean fuck the part of the letter telling OP to find somewhere else to park but if you were taking up two spaces, then I sort of feel them. There's no rule saying you can't take two spaces BUT, come on, don't be that guy.

If it's a public road, keep parking there and display a sign that says FUCK OFF.

don't do the sign lol, but keep parking.

In an urban sort of area with no driveways, this would still not drive me to anger. What pisses me off is living in a suburban area but my neighbor parking his Comcast van in front of my house everyday when he has a two car garage and driveway. Literally every morning when I drink my coffee it's like a giant Comcast ad in front of my face.

I had a similar situation but my neighbor parked a shitty beat up car that didnt move for months about 2 feet from my driveway. I asked him multiple times what the deal with it was and if he could move it, he never did. Finally called the city on it and they came and marked his tires. Hasnt been a problem since. I dont have issues with people parking in front of my hosue as long as the cars are coming and going everyday, but the street isnt a place you get to store cars for months.

GAF i need some advice...
I get in my car this morning about to head to work and discover this note on my window.

9oBSuOG.png

For context, i only passed my test a week ago and am not exactly the best at parking in tight spaces. The area i live is also very hilly and the spot I've been using is one of the only flat area. As i'm in the UK i drive a manual car and hill starts / reverse hill starts aren't exactly the easiest manoeuvre and i was cautious about rolling into another car.

So, do i honour the request and fined somewhere else or keep parking there as its a public road and he/she has no claim over the spot?

p.s. I have no parking outside my own home.

p.p.s. I'm not parking in front of their driveway.

Fellow Brit - if you're not parking over a driveway and not on double yellow lines, then the residents can sod off. The road outside a home does not belong to the residents of the street.

I deal with a free for all parking situation on my street daily and as annoying as it can get, i'd never leave a note on someone's window. Just carry on with your business.

Personally i don't think my parking has been that bad. The only reason I've been leaving space between cars is that i didn't want to park to close and box anyone in. I guess the correct amount of space need to emerge from your spot will come with experience.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not saying you "own the street". I'm just saying that you shouldn't constantly park in front of someone else's house, it's pretty rude in my opinion.

Maybe I just don't have enough experience living in big cities where people don't give a shit about each other.

Why would it matter if it's you parking in front of that person's house or someone else who doesn't belong to that same household?

You really expect someone to see the open spot on the way home and say to themselves, "hmm, if I park there today that'll be the third time this week and that's one too many times."

Why would this be rude? How god damn weird are you people

shaneo632

If I didn't have a parking space I'd probably just hire one, you can rent them for like £10 a week where I live. I would feel pretty cheeky parking outside someone's house, even though it's not technically their property the sensible implication to me is that they should be the ones allowed to park there. I don't think just because you can do it means you should.

But I also don't drive, so it all means nothing to me ultimately

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
I never had to park on a slope to pass my road test. Then again, I don't live in the UK.

I took my test in the UK and didn't have to either. I think they have a list of maneuvers that they can pick and choose from.

Why would it matter if it's you parking in front of that person's house or someone else who doesn't belong to that same household?

You really expect someone to see the open spot on the way home and say to themselves, "hmm, if I park there today that'll be the third time this week and that's one too many times."

I don't know man, I'm just a good neighbor. I don't consider that my spot, it's right outside someone's house. But then as I've alluded to, I clearly don't have enough experience with this "free for all" approach. I have my own driveway now so I don't worry about it.

otapnam

I had a similar situation but my neighbor parked a shitty beat up car that didnt move for months about 2 feet from my driveway. I asked him multiple times what the deal with it was and if he could move it, he never did. Finally called the city on it and they came and marked his tires. Hasnt been a problem since. I dont have issues with people parking in front of my hosue as long as the cars are coming and going everyday, but the street isnt a place you get to store cars for months.

Pretty much this.

If you live in a neighborhood with the appropriate amount of available parking, there's no reason to be consistent parking or flat out leaving your car right in front of someone else's house. It's just rude.

In tighter neighborhoods and communities there's a difference but you shouldn't be ignorant to parking etiquette

It's rude because if you park outside their house, then they can't park outside their house. Sounds like OP lives on a different street entirely and could park outside his own house if he wanted, so he's just inconveniencing people because he doesn't trust his own parking ability.

Get better at parking and park outside your own house OP.

dose

Should the OP come to you when his car gets damaged or he's blocked in and can't retrieve his car?
So because the person complaining may on the offchance do something illegal the OP should park somewhere else? Bullshit. I've had exactly the same, having to park opposite where I lived. I had notes on my car, there is not a thing they can do. If they want to do something the car then there will be repercussions to that.

McBryBry

OP, if its a public road they can fuck off. You're fine.

Speaking of which, why do people get so mad about cars in front of their house? My girlfriend's neighbors have told her parents that they don't want me parking in front kf their house. Why do you care? Its a public street. Also nobody is looking at your damn house.

holygeesus

Banned
Personally i don't think my parking has been that bad. The only reason I've been leaving space between cars is that i didn't want to park to close and box anyone in. I guess the correct amount of space need to emerge from your spot will come with experience.

Are there any dropped kerbs on the street? If you don't want to box yourself in, park your front end as close to the start of a dropped kerb and you won't. It will help with your parking too as you can get out and check you aren't encroaching on said dropped kerb and you will know there is enough room behind you for another car.

SomTervo

As much as it's fair enough not to be comfortable doing hill starts or parallel parks, the only way to get good at them is to practice them. If you shy away from them forever you really struggle and likely embarrass yourself when you're forced to really use the skill in an intense situation.

That said, this person does not own that fucking space, feel free to ignore the spot.

This is the reason why I immediately crossed trendy in town neighborhoods off my list as places to purchase a home. If you live near the zoo in Atlanta you will never be able to park in front of your home during the day and God forbid there is a festival at the park that day, guests may have to park a mile away from your house to visit. Plus I'm just not comfortable with people parking in front of my house and looking all in my windows freely.

slit

It is not uncommon for people to feel this way but it has more to do with their sense of entitlement more than the person parking being rude.

So because the person complaining may on the offchance do something illegal the OP should park somewhere else? Bullshit. I've had exactly the same, having to park opposite where I lived. I had notes on my car, there is not a thing they can do. If they want to do something the car then there will be repercussions to that.

Can't be repercussions if the OP doesn't know who wrote the letter and they could easily just block the OP's car in. Hold up his day significantly.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I took my test in the UK and didn't have to either. I think they have a list of maneuvers that they can pick and choose from.

I don't know man, I'm just a good neighbor. I don't consider that my spot, it's right outside someone's house. But then as I've alluded to, I clearly don't have enough experience with this "free for all" approach. I have my own driveway now so I don't worry about it.

It's not the home owner's spot either if it's on the street. This entitlement to it is ridiculous. Would I admittedly be annoyed if I owned a car and couldn't get parking in front of my own home? Probably, yea. But would I expect people to avoid parking there out of some sympathetic cause to a home owner in front of the spot? lol no

Pagusas

Elden Member
Also: it was really nice of them go give you that nice zip lock bag and keep the note safe. Very clean and well thoughout. Kudos to them.

It's rude because if you park outside their house, then they can't park outside their house. Sounds like OP lives on a different street entirely and could park outside his own house if he wanted, so he's just inconveniencing people because he doesn't trust his own parking ability.

Get better at parking and park outside your own house OP.
Its a public street. Its not a business or a driveway. Theres no law against that. Yhe only issue is more on him taking up more space than needed. Irs more of a moral issue than a legal one.

Its a public street. Its not a business or a driveway. Theres no law against that. Yhe only issue is more on him taking up more space than needed. Irs more of a moral issue than a legal one.

I said twice in my post at the top of this thread that it's not illegal but he still shouldn't be doing it. It's not illegal to skip the queue at the bus stop but I'm still going to call you out for being a dick if you do it.

dose

Can't be repercussions if the OP doesn't know who wrote the letter and they could easily just block the OP's car in. Hold up his day significantly.
Well if someone blocks his car in he will know who is being a dick.
Whichever way, he has a right to park on a public road, the house owners do not own the road in front of them, just because they don't like it doesn't mean anything.
it's not illegal but he still shouldn't be doing it.
Why exactly should he not be doing it?

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I said twice in my post at the top of this thread that it's not illegal but he still shouldn't be doing it. It's not illegal to skip the queue at the bus stop but I'm still going to call you out for being a dick if you do it.

Not comparable examples. An appropriate comparison would be someone waiting to back up into that spot only for you to swoop in and park yourself, in which case yes, that shouldn't be allowed.

If the spot on a public street is available, you have no more claim to it than I do, even if you rent or own your home in front. If you owned the home and tried to sell, you wouldn't say "has private parking" when it's simply public parking on the street. This unofficial ownership? Nah, I'm okay.

So because the personacomplaining may on the offchance do something illegal the OP should park somewhere else? Bullshit. I've had exactly the same, having to park opposite where I lived. I had notes on my car, there is not a thing they can do. If they want to do something the car then there will be repercussions to that.

There is nothing they can do? I have a family of asshole parkers in my building. They like to use large scooter to sqat parking space. One day, their brand new orange Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Edition and yellow Mustang were spray painted.

It wasn't me btw.

rackham

Banned
Honestly OP seems like a bit of a dumb dumb for getting a manual when he can't park properly with it.

Maybe it's the only car you could get at the time but I don't know. Do you expect us to have some kind of sympathy for you when you're not even TRYING to learn to take up only 1 spot?

Why exactly should he not be doing it?

Why should people be forced to park further from their own home when OP has space outside his own house that he's just choosing not to use?

Not comparable examples. An appropriate comparison would be someone waiting to back up into that spot only for you to swoop in and park yourself, in which case yes, that shouldn't be allowed.

Otherwise yes, I could and should be doing it if I see an available spot.

It's still an example of someone being a dick when they don't need to be. It's just courteous to let people park outside their own homes when you can. OP isn't struggling to find a parking space, he has one he just doesn't want to use because he doesn't trust his own driving ability. It's not fair that other people have to be inconvenience because of that. He should get better at driving and use the space outside his own home.

Mr-Joker

Banned
GAF i need some advice...
I get in my car this morning about to head to work and discover this note on my window.

9oBSuOG.png

So, do i honour the request and fined somewhere else or keep parking there as its a public road and he/she has no claim over the spot?

p.s. I have no parking outside my own home.

p.p.s. I'm not parking in front of their driveway.

If you aren't parking on a yellow line, bus/cycle lane or in front of their driveway then there isn't really anything that they can do to you as it's a public road so they have no claim over it. And beside parking is a bitch as I struggle with parallel parking and try to avoid it if I can.

My advice to you is just get some practice in hill start/stop just in case you need to park on a hill.

how the fuck are you allowed to get a driver's license if you can't even park on slopes

I got a driver license and I wasn't tested nor taught on how to park on slopes and beside they put new drivers on a probationary 2 years period, so if they mess up or get points on their license they have to retake the test again.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Depending on the city/state, what he’s doing may be illegal. Look it up. Seattle here, that would be illegal.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Why should people be forced to park further from their own home when OP has space outside his own house that he's just choosing not to use?

It's still an example of someone being a dick when they don't need to be. It's just courteous to let people park outside their own homes when you can. OP isn't struggling to find a parking space, he has one he just doesn't want to use because he doesn't trust his own driving ability.

I don't give a fuck what the reason is. If it's available and the person wants to park there, that's good enough. And not everyone is like OP. A lot of us live in neighborhoods with rare parking opportunities.

Now people are being "dicks" because they're parking in perfectly free spots. Give me a break.

Honestly OP seems like a bit of a dumb dumb for getting a manual when he can't park properly with it.

Maybe it's the only car you could get at the time but I don't know. Do you expect us to have some kind of sympathy for you when you're not even TRYING to learn to take up only 1 spot?

Seems like OP is trying to learn. Let's not go overboard if he's had his license for less than a month.

Brandson

I live on a street with limited parking. A few thoughts:

1) If there is space to fit 2 cars in-between driveways, and someone has parked in a way that prevents that from happening, the residents rightly get upset about it. Don't park like that.

2) The city may issue street permits for parking on streets with limited parking so that the homeowners have somewhere to park. If someone is parking there for a long time without a permit, the residents will again rightly get upset.

3) If you just parked in a normal considerate way for an amount of time that doesn't have permit implications, then don't worry about it.

I don't give a fuck what the reason is. If it's available and the person wants to park there, that's good enough. And not everyone is like OP. A lot of us live in neighborhoods with rare parking opportunities.

I'm not talking about those people, I'm talking about OP. He has a spot outside his own house, he should use it and let other people do the same. It's just manners, he's not going to get arrested for not doing it. I just don't understand why you'd want to knowingly inconvenience other people when you have the option to avoid it.

And yes, if you can park outside your own house but instead choose to park further away, on a different street, leaving less parking spaces on that street for the people who live there, that's a bit of a dick move.

Not downplaying what you meant. But your basically saying he should stick to parking where he lives. Again just like your bus analogy its comes down to being considerate of others. Everyone pretty much told him taking 2 spaces is just gonna make the matters worse.

If it's a public street tell them to get fucked, and document it in case something happens to your car. Having the courtesy to park in a manner that leaves room for other cars though wouldn't be such a bad thing to do.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not talking about those people, I'm talking about OP. He has a spot outside his own house, he should use it and let other people do the same. It's just manners, he's not going to get arrested for not doing it. I just don't understand why you'd want to knowingly inconvenience other people when you have the option to avoid it.

Edit: Wait, doesn't seem like he has parking outside his own home.

Ganhyun

OP, concerning hill stops and starts in a manual, what part is causing you issues?

Starting, stopping, and such on a hill should be required skills for using a manual transmission vehicle, because otherwise, how will you handle having to stop at traffic lights/signs that are on a hill?

edit: also, does the UK not do a learning permit? When I was younger, I had to get a learner's permit (1 year) and could only drive with a legal adult in the car with me. I had to have that, then pass a written and practical driver's exam in order to get my actual license.

What? You've just made this up. The OP states;

Even if he did, and i'll state this again - He can park wherever he wants on a public road.

I assumed he means that he has no dedicated parking space, like the other people on the street. I'm happy to be corrected on that though.

Mr-Joker

Banned

OP is a new driver so he's still learning and secondly manual cars are more common in the UK and passing a driving test in a manual car grants you a license to drive both manual and automatic whereas passing the test in an automatic just grants you the license to drive only an automatic.

Top Bottom