• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Longest distance you have driven by car?

FRS1987

I don't know how you guys do it. After doing 200 miles in one go I was already irritated and want to get off the road

Longest distance where it was just me driving. Solo. Was from spokane wa to kingman az
About 1200 miles.

Drove staight thru in my early twenties. Dont think i could do it again
I did Vegas to Spokane in one day which Google says was about 1140 miles. Total over 4 week vacation was 6600 miles.

Also been across Australia and back which is about 5120 miles but that was over 3 weeks.

AntoneM

Fargo to Phoenix, a little over 1,600 miles (2600km), Stayed with a friend in Ft. Collins, CO and partied all night, woke up around noon and left for my second leg of the journey at about 4:00pm. Arrived in Phoenix at about 6 am, but seriously considered pulling over and sleeping on an off-ramp somewhere near Gallup, NM.

Drove from Phoenix to Spokane and back 3 times (so 6 one way trips) with overnights in Salt Lake city and the route I took was a little over 1400 miles (2300km)

These were all solo.

Doomsayer

From Los Angeles to 20 minutes north of Sisters, Oregon.

We drove up there for the eclipse to experience totality. It was fucking amazing but the drive was 15 hours and about 860 miles.

Never. Again.

Redd

17 hours straight only stopping for gas and a drive through for an egg mcmuffin. Drove from Va Beach all the way to Nashville Illinois to pick up a car. Then had to drive back after a nights sleep in a hotel. Probably my limit.

ctfg23

From Bay Area CA to Disneyland.

Edit: This is the longest distance I have travelled by car. I was not the driver.

We're about to come home from a 1724 km (about 1000 miles i think) trip to Croatia and yeah i think i reached my personal limit by now.

Edit: Might mention if you did it in one trek or over s everal day/nights.

Ours is in one go, i drove the first 700km, she another 300 etc ..

2,021 miles. I drove from Chicago to Orange County, CA when I moved here. Keep in mind, that I had never driven out of state on my own and had very, very little driving experience on high ways. It took me two and a half days. I drove by myself. I had big breakfasts but I tried to keep my stops minimal.

Jacob

I drove roughly 1250 miles (2000 km) on my way home from Duluth, Minnesota to the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland. Took about 20 hours including brief stops to get gas and food. The return journey was slightly longer than the drive out because I went through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so I could say I went over the Mackinac Bridge, instead of taking the more direct route south through Wisconsin.

I don't know how you guys do it. After doing 200 miles in one go I was already irritated and want to get off the road

I tried to avoid driving as much as I could for about a month afterwards. It was a kinda cool experience, though. I'd like to do a long trip like that again but I don't think I would do that much without at least a couple hours of sleep in the middle.

In one go:
Dallas to Terra Haute, IN about 900 miles.
Orlando to Blairsville, GA about 600 miles.
Flagstaff, AZ to Central Valley, CA about 700 miles.

With overnight stops.
Dallas to Indiana 5 days there, Indiana to Disney 5 days there, and back again to Dallas. Each leg is a two day drive. About 4,000 miles when all said and done.
Dallas to Central Valley, CA took three days with an overnight blizzard on our second night in Flagstaff, AZ. The third day was a very long day. About 1,650 miles.

I've also done many road trips as a kid, going through many of the eastern states. I still have much more to go.

jfkgoblue

I drove roughly 1250 miles (2000 km) on my way home from Duluth, Minnesota to the suburbs of Baltimore, Maryland. Took about 20 hours including brief stops to get gas and food. The return journey was slightly longer than the drive out because I went through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan so I could say I went over the Mackinac Bridge, instead of taking the more direct route south through Wisconsin.

I tried to avoid driving as much as I could for about a month afterwards. It was a kinda cool experience, though. I'd like to do a long trip like that again but I don't think I would do that much without at least a couple hours of sleep in the middle.
The Mackinac bridge is pretty cool, as a kid my parents always took us on the Labor Day bridge walk and then we had to drive 6 hours home afterwards to southern Michigan. It's actually longer than the Golden Gate IIRC and the longest suspension bridge in the US. The state puts it on pretty much all its license plates.

Jacob

The Mackinac bridge is pretty cool, as a kid my parents always took us on the Labor Day bridge walk and then we had to drive 6 hours home afterwards to southern Michigan. It's actually longer than the Golden Gate IIRC and the longest suspension bridge in the US. The state puts it on pretty much all its license plates.

That was why I wanted to go over it. :) I'd been to the Golden Gate a couple times when visiting my uncle who used to live in the San Francisco Bay Area, but I'd never had a reason to be anywhere near the Mackinac before. I was really fascinated by suspension bridges as a kid so I felt it was worth the extra time/miles to indulge that interest.

It was also easier to justify since I borrowed my dad's car for that trip; he has a hybrid that gets a lot better mileage than my car, which is a 2005 Ford Focus that starts to vibrate if you go more than 70 mph. xP

Driving anywhere out of my comfort zone gives me extreme anxiety. How do you all do it?

It's hard to describe but there's something about driving by myself that sometimes gives a sort of calming feeling. Possibly related to the feeling of independence that it allows. It helped that I timed things so that I wasn't near any large cities during rush hour.

I never travel (except for my grandma's funeral last year, in which case I never drove), so the longest I've driven is about 45 miles.

Driving anywhere out of my comfort zone gives me extreme anxiety. How do you all do it?
It's fun and a sense of freedom. Once you get beyond about 2hrs, it's just you and the open road. I love it. I love seeing new places. The best drive was to Lake Tahoe on I-80. The change into the mountain, with the cool mountain breeze, just felt amazing. Also on one of my trips from IN to FL, I hopped off I-75 and got on 441 through the Smokey Mountains. It was October and the drive was just gorgeous. The US is an amazing place to see.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
1180 km

Bled (Slovenia) --> Liege (Belgium), with four stops short stops and one longer in Luxembourg.

But the most difficult drive was in the middle of winter from Luxembourg back home, with heavy rain, sleet and snow for all duration.

Not the only driver, but 1300 miles from New Jersey (NYC area) to Miami.

Being I've taken that trip with the family since I was 5 (haven't done it in a few years though), road trips of a certain length feel like nothing to me.

However, if I want to plan a trip with friends and they hear the word "road trip," the idea gets shot down immediately. Guess it's one of those things you have to have instilled in you from the beginning.

scitek

Seattle to St. Louis in January of this year.

~2100 miles

Took me 30 hours over 3 days...through an ice storm.

I don't advise driving through eastern Washington or Idaho in the winter, btw.

I do loops for work through the midwest every couple of weeks that tally up around a thousand miles or so.

Chicago to LA and back was probably the longest overall trip I've done. There were two overnights in LA built in there though.

Just did this (Chicago to LA) in July to move. 2 overnights as well, 10 hour drive days, 3 days. With two cats.

Tagyhag

Man, you guys are troopers lol.

Longest for me is Los Angeles to Las Vegas. ~280 miles.

At most, it's a 4 hour trip which is the perfect length IMO. Just as you're starting to get bored or tired, you see those beautiful lights.

RCSI

1440 km (895 miles) over two days and two people, from SoCal to Madras, Oregon for the Total Eclipse. I found that brutal and here I am reading trips upwards of 2000 miles.

Lebon14

About 1200-1300km to get my dad's dog @ Montreal back to where we live. 600-650 to go and back. Yeah.

I would like to avoid doing this again.

BruceCLea

Banned
I've driven alone from Wilmington NC (East Coast beach town) to Los Angeles over 5 days. Cost to coast. Literally. 2,633 miles

Florida to Arizona, just over 2000 miles over 31 hours. We stayed in 1 hotel for an 8 hour sleep, so we made the whole trip in about 40 hours. It wasn't as awful as I was expecting it to be honestly. It helped that 90% of the journey was just driving on i10.

Ri'Orius

So, does anyone ever read these threads? Do people enjoy reading who's been from Cali to Nevada, and who's gone Michigan to Seattle? Or does everyone just post their answer and go back to reading other, more interesting threads? Keeping a thread bumped that nobody actually reads?

Seattle to Chapel Hill. Just under 3k. Dog's too big to fly, wanted her to join the family for Christmas. Audible is godlike.

So, does anyone ever read these threads? Do people enjoy reading who's been from Cali to Nevada, and who's gone Michigan to Seattle? Or does everyone just post their answer and go back to reading other, more interesting threads? Keeping a thread bumped that nobody actually reads?

Seattle to Chapel Hill. Just under 3k. Dog's too big to fly, wanted her to join the family for Christmas. Audible is godlike.

I did. I'm interested in where people come from and where they go.

kingsamj

Minneapolis to Los Angeles, just shy of 2000 miles (3100 km). I did it over the course of three days with overnight stops in Colorado and Utah, plus lots of little "scenic overlook" pitstops in Utah.

After a business trip in Boston for a week I took a second week off to rent a car and drive around from as far away as Philadelphia up to Portland, ME.

But in a single day of that trip without sleep I went this route with plenty of steps to get out and do stuff:

Elizabeth, NJ --> New York, NY --> New Haven, CT --> Providence, RI --> Coast route south to Plymouth Rock, MA --> Boston, MA --> Worcester, MA --> Boston, MA --> Portland, ME --> Boston, MA

Google Maps comes up as 614 miles. It was at least over 650 since the Boston to Worcester to Boston portion was a date that was terrible and she wanted to go to Worcester, we drove around there for like an hour with her never figuring out what she wanted to do, so we went back to Boston and she continued wanting me to drive around despite me wanting to end it and dump her back home. I had some other side excursions when I would take exits to get out and walk around during that day. I was just looking around at stuff. I also drove all around Portland, ME at 3am during that visit because I was just looking around and trying to find cool places to take pictures.

I wanted to go from Portland, ME over to somewhere in Vermont as that remained the only state I didn't get to hit during that trip but I was simply too tired and knew I needed to get back to Boston for my flight. And the whole reason I went to Portland, ME was because I knew I had that late date and didn't want to get a hotel room since I had to fly out in the morning and didn't want to pay just to crash for six hours so instead I just drove.

San Antonio, TX to Hampton, VA.

Not sure of the mileage, but 24 hours of total driving. It was rough, even though we split it between 3 drivers. I hate sitting anywhere that long, no matter how many books and games I have to distract me when it's not my shift.

Laekon

Drove over 3,200 miles from central Massachusetts to So Cal, including a stop at the Grand Canyon, in 3 days. basically drove from 8 am to 11 PM. There were shorter routes but it was winter so I didn't want to chance going farther north.

I find it interesting to see people different impressions of time and distance. I moved a lot as a kid, CT to SC, SC to TX, TX to MA. We also did long car vacations like TX to FL. So I'm using to driving long distances and find it interesting some people have never driven more then a few hours.

Only from Indiana to Florida. So 600-700 miles.

However, we just drove back from Orlando to Indiana the Friday before Irma hit FL.

We were in the car that time for 25 hours straight apart from bathroom breaks, gas and a rest stop to nap for an hour or so. The normally 12 hours trip doubled because of evacuation traffic. That was miserable with two screaming kids.

I am grateful to not have been in harm's way obviously.

Memphis to San Francisco and back. I accidentally made the trip longer due to driving through Northern Oklahoma through Colorado, Utah and Nevada. Didn't realize I could have taken I40 and I5 the whole way.

Top Bottom