• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |OT3| "That sounds like the GameTrailers guy!"

Hasney

So glad that the responses to Brandons post on Patreon are in the vast majority positive and even the ones critical are critical of the current voting process and not because that game wasn't played.

The two explanations from Ben and Brandon are fantastic. I dont see how anyone can have a problem with either of those explanations. Should quell any further YouTube comments and the ones that are left going forward will probably just be trolls.

Still, I expect it will all blow over soon. And I have the day off work plus the podcast to watch, so it's a great day.

Wait, I must have worded what I said poorly, because I definitely agree with both of you and I'm definitely not alleging anything fishy actually went on here.

I'm just saying obviously there's a portion of the community that voted for Senran Kagura and no matter which game won, that game would be hated on more than usual. That it was a Kickstarted game from one of the Allies that won after some rules had been changed (for the better!), just made that response more vitriolic. Some people love to run with conspiracy theories and create controversies, and that is what is going on here.

Let me be clear, I obviously know this was on the up-and-up and I voted for Swords, it's just glaringly obvious that a portion of the EZA community isn't buying that for whatever reason today.

Fair enough, it was just the word "replacement" that made it seem like you'd misunderstood what happened.

Brandon's, Ben's response is ace. Hope people can forget and forgive/move on after these super reasonable explanations.

Eh, whether they get over it or not, I can't say I care. They acted like children.

Anyway, I'm not sure why some were complaining about the group stream being boring. I just watched it and it was a lot of fun. Top notch banter.

Thanks. Very nice response. It hurts my brain thinking how some people can't see why EZA would be uncomfortable streaming a game sexualizing minors. It's not the same as something like Witcher that has sexual content. Same with violence, there's a clear line. There's a difference in shooting monsters or nazis compared to the main point of the game being slaughtering innocents in a game like Hatred. Context is key.

So wait, are all ethic arguments thinly veiled excuses to harass women? I didn't get the memo!

Harrass women? You don't strike me as that kind of guy. You seem more like the "let's invoke ethics and collusion just because I didn't get my pervy pee-pee shooter" kind of guy.

Hey, let's be clear here: there's no ethical issue here. If you like the game and you are let down because you really wanted them to play it, sure that's an opinion. If you are talking about collusion because they played Ian's card game, that's a bullshit argument and exactly the same kind of figue leaf ggers used. you don't want to be called that? don't act like one of them.

ToonLink

The youtube responses under Ben's comment and the patreon link post are, um, interesting.

I decided to up my pledge. I wholly support the Allies having control of their brand and covering/streaming games that they feel comfortable with. Support them if you enjoy their content, but that doesn't give you direct control over them. It's as simple as that. L&R.

Hasney

I thought the Kirby shitting was bad, but Brandon going after Fortune Street?! I'm sitting here contemplating buying the Japanese version because it might not come out in English! Outrageous!

Still though, I am torn on buying Fortune Street... I might give it until PSX to see if it gets announced as weird stuff gets announced there.

Mista Koo

Harrass women? You don't strike me as that kind of guy. You seem more like the "let's invoke ethics and collusion just because I didn't get my pervy pee-pee shooter" kind of guy.

Hey, let's be clear here: there's no ethical issue here. If you like the game and you are let down because you really wanted them to play it, sure that's an opinion. If you are talking about collusion because they played Ian's card game, that's a bullshit argument and exactly the same kind of figue leaf ggers used. you don't want to be called that? don't act like one of them.
If you had read my other posts you'll realize I didn't even want them to play the game, but sure.

And I didn't say collusion, I said it was iffy. If you professionally cover games and make commercial games you should draw some lines. If you don't agree that's fine, if you don't think the line was stepped on that's fine. But calling people gators because they suggested something might not necessarily be 100% ethically fine is gross.

Wiggy

Latest Game Sleuth has hit 100k views! Congrats to Damiani, it was a great ep. I know he was disappointed in the lower views of some of the other eps, so glad this one is doing better.

It’s now the allies 3rd most viewed non-reaction video behind the Zelda (148k) and Horizon (124k) reviews (or it’s 4th if you count their Patreon announcement/channel trailer video)

The new ep seems to have given the first Sleuth a bump too as it’s at 94k now.

In the past I used Senran Kagura as a test stream on my personal account. I'm not personally sure what this changes, but if I need to bring this up here ya go.

I just found it a funny coincidence, no need to explain yourself (although I appreciate you probably feel like you do consider the events of this week). Poor jokes is all.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Eh, whether they get over it or not, I can't say I care. They acted like children.

Anyway, I'm not sure why some were complaining about the group stream being boring. I just watched it and it was a lot of fun. Top notch banter.

Reaction from the community was disappointing for sure but there is also definitely responsibility(which for my part I think they owned up to) on the Allies part for not thinking the process through enough and communicating stuff like this possibly happening right when they introduced the tier.

hank_tree

Reaction from the community was disappointing for sure but there is also definitely responsibility(which for my part I think they owned up to) on the Allies part for not thinking the process through enough and communicating stuff like this possibly happening right when they introduced the tier.

I mean it should have been pretty obvious that they wouldn’t stream something they didn’t find suitable. They shouldn’t need to have a ten page disclaimer on everything to cover every little thing people might get upset about.

If you had read my other posts you'll realize I didn't even want them to play the game, but sure.

And I didn't say collusion, I said it was iffy. If you professionally cover games and make commercial games you should draw some lines. If you don't agree that's fine, if you don't think the line was stepped on that's fine. But calling people gators because they suggested something might not necessarily be 100% ethically fine is gross.

OK, I'll do my part and say that I jumped the gun and called you a ggator. I re-read my responses and I'm sincerely sorry about that, my bad.
Now it's your turn to say what the hell means "iffy", and realize that even throwing around the idea that there was something unethical about the whole situation is - to use your words - "gross", and makes other people read you as someone you say you are not.

Bahorel

15 days tlil Mario Odyssey.

Just 15.

I've been curious to buy Thimbleweed Park on my Switch but now I just want to wait and have a long stretch of nothing so that I can have no game in my way when SMO comes down the line.

Preordered, ready, and waiting.

Budi

Also, to the people saying this is the fault of EZAnime, joking or not, you're not really helping. That's the same sort of generalization that creates these problems in the first place.
Firstly about rest of the post, the reasoning is solid and absolutely appreciated. I'm really happy and grateful, that you shared your thoughts here and also that you keep communicating with us. We aren't always the easiest group to get along with either.

But then to the last part where I recognized myself specifically. I had my rant about sexualization of kids/teens in japanese games/anime in the last OT, I stand by that. It was criticism of the content, not a generalization and unfair judgement of EZAnime fans or about anyone consuming anime. My post in this thread even when it was indeed made jokingly about "cutting the head of the snake" is adding fuel to fire. At that moment I had no idea how big this will blow up and could be a divider for the community. I still condemn anyone harboring harmful or hateful views, but I'd like to avoid making any generalizations. I don't see EZAnime crowd being a nest of bad people, we are all fans and consume a lot of different content that intriques us. There have been people in the fanbase that definitely cross the line, but everyone is an invidual. So I apologize for that very ill-timed joke. And thank you for calling me out on it.

And most of all, I've enjoyed my own fair share of anime. There's plenty of anime without any "questionable" content too. And actually, I personally had DOAX for the original XBOX. So similar games aren't entirely foreign to me either.

tl;dr
tumblr_n4sx6tFPOl1s0jlsyo1_500.gif

Mista Koo

Just 15.

I've been curious to buy Thimbleweed Park on my Switch but now I just want to wait and have a long stretch of nothing so that I can have no game in my way when SMO comes down the line.

I pulled the trigger and bought it last night. It is weird but nice to remove the Joycons and play with a more compact touch device.

My problem is that I hate the verb interface and it almost stopped me from buying the game. It's just not something I have the nostalgia for. Even the Day of the Tentacle remake added an action wheel!

As for Odyssey I'm dropping everything when it releases.

OK, I'll do my part and say that I jumped the gun and called you a ggator. I re-read my responses and I'm sincerely sorry about that, my bad.
Now it's your turn to say what the hell means "iffy", and realize that even throwing around the idea that there was something unethical about the whole situation is - to use your words - "gross", and makes other people read you as someone you say you are not.
if·fy
adjective informal
• of doubtful quality or legality.
"a good wine merchant will change the iffy bottles for sound ones"
synonyms: dubious, doubtful, questionable, shaky

And for the sake of this thread let's move to PMs?

my god during the spicy take session of the podcast when they are listing their least fav IP of each console manufacturer and kyle calls 'ryse' 'rome' made me laugh so hard

ShadyK54

The Evil Within arrives tomorrow, but it's midterms season right now.

Also that Beastly video game is amazing.

GAH!

Just 15.

Ready for Mario as well. Haven’t touched my Switch in awhile & have been needing/wanting a big game to dust it off for.

sora87

Latest Game Sleuth has hit 100k views! Congrats to Damiani, it was a great ep. I know he was disappointed in the lower views of some of the other eps, so glad this one is doing better.

It’s now the allies 3rd most viewed non-reaction video behind the Zelda (148k) and Horizon (124k) reviews (or it’s 4th if you count their Patreon announcement/channel trailer video)

The new ep seems to have given the first Sleuth a bump too as it’s at 94k now.

Yup, it's good to see it getting so many views. Popular game gets a lot of views, probably best to keep at that sort of level of game for the exposure.

I would like more lesser known game sleuths though.

munchie64

I thought the Kirby shitting was bad, but Brandon going after Fortune Street?! I'm sitting here contemplating buying the Japanese version because it might not come out in English! Outrageous!

Still though, I am torn on buying Fortune Street... I might give it until PSX to see if it gets announced as weird stuff gets announced there.
The dismissal of Kirby's Dream course this past week has been disgusting.

Hasney

Yup, it's good to see it getting so many views. Popular game gets a lot of views, probably best to keep at that sort of level of game for the exposure.

I would like more lesser known game sleuths though.

Yeah, that's what I said too. I know they take a lot of work, but if Damiani can ever get a good steady pace going with them, then that will probably be the time to bring in the obscure ones.

Flagship

Does anyone know if the Galapagos PowerPoint presentation stream is still archived somewhere on twitch? I can't seem to find it...

ShadyK54

if·fy
adjective informal
• of doubtful quality or legality.
"a good wine merchant will change the iffy bottles for sound ones"
synonyms: dubious, doubtful, questionable, shaky

And for the sake of this thread let's move to PMs?

You're fucking kidding me right? I know what the definition of iffy is. Do you want to keep playing with me via PM? For the "sake of this thread"? Grow a pair and explain how their choice of playing Ian's game is "of doubtful quality or legality".

[Edited]

UrbanRats

EZA has always been fairly kid friendly in tone and content.
I think people chose that game exactly for that reason (i.e. to troll) so i don't see much of a problem with their choice to veto.
They should've been clear about it from that start, that that was a possibility (i don't if they did, tbh) but still, it's an expected decision in a way, which is why that particular game was selected in the first place: it was an odd and controversial choice on purpose.

dickroach

EZA has always been fairly kid friendly in tone and content.
I think people chose that game exactly for that reason (i.e. to troll) so i don't see much of a problem with their choice to veto.
They should've been clear about it from that start, that that was a possibility (i don't if they did, tbh) but still, it's an expected decision in a way, which is why that particular game was selected in the first place: it was an odd and controversial choice on purpose.

it sounds like it wasn't "this is too much for our audience," it was "we'd feel uncomfortable playing this"

abrack08

You're fucking kidding me right? I know what the definition of iffy is. Do you want to keep playing with me via PM? For the "sake of this thread"? Grow a pair and explain how their choice of playing Ian's game is "of doubtful quality or legality".

[Edited]

Relax man. He already said he thinks them playing a game one of them made is a conflict of interest. I don't agree, but it's not a complicated point to understand. I don't understand why you flipped out and called him a gamer gator or keep demanding he explain it more.

Mista Koo

[Edited]
How else am I meant to interpret: Now it's your turn to say what the hell means "iffy"??

I'll quote myself one last time:

If you professionally cover games and make commercial games you should draw some lines. If you don't agree that's fine, if you don't think the line was stepped on that's fine.
Most people here disagree with this, but they realized that this argument was going nowhere. That's why I suggested we move it to PMs. I didn't mean to insult you.

How else am I meant to interpret: Now it's your turn to say what the hell means "iffy"??

Most people here disagree with this, but they realized that this argument was going nowhere. That's why I suggested we move it to PMs. I didn't mean to insult you.

They apologized and likely expected you to give a little too.
Then the iffy definition just came off as a snarky response.

Anyways, this is all goofy and too much miscommunication. We should all just watch some good ol' Easy Allies content.

Top Bottom