• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Not super happy with the set so far, tbh.

Damaged in shipping. Great start. Just a small cosmetic issue though, but still.

Regular HD cable feed (out of the box) looks like shit. Compared to my earlier, smaller 4K Sammy. Just, looks so blurry. Graphics and stuff on screen (text, etc) are pretty crisp but the video... peoples' faces and stuff are super soft, blurry. Watching MSNBC last night was off-putting. Idk, haven't had much time to tinker, or mess with games/Apps, but first impression wasn't great. Also, it's too big. Didn't fit on my entertainment center, because of the stupid frigging legs being so wide (which I never even considered) so I had to improvise with another stand that's suboptimal.

Hopefully I can get this dialed in better. Hard to concentrate on stuff like this though, after last night. Seeing this TV sitting there this moring, while drinking coffee after a sleepless night... idk, just seemed so obnoxious. I imagine that will pass, lol... but it was an odd feeling.

Damaged in shipping. Great start. Just a small cosmetic issue though, but still.

Regular HD cable feed (out of the box) looks like shit. Compared to my earlier, smaller 4K Sammy. Just, looks so blurry. Graphics and stuff on screen (text, etc) are pretty crisp but the video... peoples' faces and stuff are super soft, blurry. Watching MSNBC last night was off-putting. Idk, haven't had much time to tinker, or mess with games/Apps, but first impression wasn't great. Also, it's too big. Didn't fit on my entertainment center, because of the stupid frigging legs being so wide (which I never even considered) so I had to improvise with another stand that's suboptimal.

Hopefully I can get this dialed in better. Hard to concentrate on stuff like this though, after last night. Seeing this TV sitting there this moring, while drinking coffee after a sleepless night... idk, just seemed so obnoxious. I imagine that will pass, lol... but it was an odd feeling.

Haha so you don't like the TV because you had to watch the election results on it?

Setzer

Haha so you don't like the TV because you had to watch the election results on it?

Lol sounds like it.

Even my set out of the box didn't look great but once I spent time setting it up the picture is pretty awesome. Glad I went with the KS8000.

Evolved1

Actually I had some time to mess around with it today. Finally chewed on some 4K HDR content, and I'm pretty happy with it now.

My regular HD cable signal looks like shit though. Idk... that kinda sucks.

Please give me a pass on my post from this morning... was a long night.

Does this TV output surround sound to a receiver? My current receiver doesn't have 4k passthrough.

unfortunately i couldn't get it to, no matter what i did all i got was 2.1 on my receiver (marantz sr 6004)

just go optical straight to your receiver, and hdmi straight to the breakout box

Evolved1

They recommend having the sharpness in PC mode... same thing for game mode?

Well I had a shipping notification and I read it as delivery today but I guess it was just picked up from their facility today.

At least I think?

It says Service Commitment time. 11/9 by end of day.

Package Received at Facility

Delivery time N/A

It's by ONTRAC which I really don't know anything about.

tommyguns

What was the cosmetic issue?

Evolved1

What was the cosmetic issue?
Bottom right corner of the set had some scratches on the rear/side plastic and the silver strip that runs along the bottom of the set was detached a bit at that corner. Though I've read that strip is faulty on a lot of sets.

It was annoying but the screen seemed fine and I didn't want the hassle of sending it back with that carrier. They were dreadful.

Any recommendations for settings for Wii U? I've settled on movie mode for PS4 and XB1 but I cannot decide on a setting for Wii U.

Evolved1

I can't seem to get HDR to work on any games... isn't it supposed to be automatic? I thought First Light was an OG PS4 HDR game? Idk... pretty confused atm.

Rbk_3

unfortunately i couldn't get it to, no matter what i did all i got was 2.1 on my receiver (marantz sr 6004)

just go optical straight to your receiver, and hdmi straight to the breakout box

According to Rtings it does? I hope it does cause I just ordered a 5.1 Sound Bar that only has Optical.

Inputs Specifications

HDR10 : Yes
Dolby Vision : No
5.1 Passthrough ARC Dolby Digital : Yes
5.1 Passthrough ARC DTS : Yes
5.1 Passthrough Optical Dolby Digital : Yes
5.1 Passthrough Optical DTS : Yes
HDMI 2.0 Full Bandwith : Yes
ARC : Yes (HDMI 4)
USB 3 : No
HDCP 2.2 : Yes
CEC : Yes
MHL : No
Variable Analog Audio Out : No

Haines

Banned
Does the pro not have an optical port. I thought it did

All ibe used is optical for sound on the back of my consoles since the xbox 360

Haines

Banned
But I want to use the sound bar for everything? Not just the PS4.

Yeah, idk. I just switch between my xbox and ps4. Which i generally do everything on between movies and spotify etc.

Maybe theres a setting in the tv needs changed to get the optical out to do the surround?

It doesn't passthrough uncompressed 5.1 but it does passthrough DD and DTS 5.1.

BTW, I need help with something.

I have a problem with this TV. When I set the HDMI Audio Format to Bitstream, there's a very noticeable delay! even on TV speakers, so it's not my soundbar's problem.
I tried lowering the delay to 0 but it's still there! PCM works fine but no 5.1 on that.

Now I'm going optical straight from the console to the soundbar but I have 2 consoles and it's annoying to switch cables.

Can someone test the audio delay when setting the TV's HDMI Audio Format to Bistream and passthrough 5.1 DD audio from PS4? Please!

I'd also like to know this. I had this off on my Xbox one but felt it was too dark for Forza 3 so turned it on and preferred it.

I prefer it with Dynamic Contrast at Medium but I've been playing with it off for a couple of days and it's been growing on me, especially in a dark room. I might finally convert, too.

I also noticed that PS4's HDR is way brighter than Xbox. Any explanation?

Hjod

Banned
So you DID get a popup when watching Marco Polo? I can't get it to work for the life of me. You're using the TV app?

Also I thiiink only season 2 of Daredevil is HDR. But again, mine isn't working as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the late answer. No, I don't get any pop ups, I just noticed that the screen changed to HDR, it increased the backlight and contrast on it's own, and the screen went black for a second when I started Marco Polo. And just as you I don't get HDR from Daredevil, overall the quality of Daredevils IQ is pretty bad.

newsguy

Sorry for the late answer. No, I don't get any pop ups, I just noticed that the screen changed to HDR, it increased the backlight and contrast on it's own, and the screen went black for a second when I started Marco Polo. And just as you I don't get HDR from Daredevil, overall the quality of Daredevils IQ is pretty bad.

Daytime isn't bad, but dark scenes look horrid. Of course it can have a lot to do with compression as well. Also, I see this really weird color splotching on faces. If I look closely I can see RGB patches on skin in close-ups and it's really distracting.

Hjod

Banned
Daytime isn't bad, but dark scenes look horrid. Of course it can have a lot to do with compression as well. Also, I see this really weird color splotching on faces. If I look closely I can see RGB patches on skin in close-ups and it's really distracting.

Yeah I noticed, the grain is really heavy on the night time scenes, or at least more visible. And I can't get HDR working on season 2 of Daredevil. Marco Polo looks stunning in HDR. I have no idea why the HDR for Daredevil isn't working.

HBO also needs to get their shit together with their HBO Nordic App, holy shit it's bad, the quality of the shows are fine, but I need some UHD options and a better UI cause the one they have now is really bad haha.

Rbk_3

Yeah I noticed, the grain is really heavy on the night time scenes, or at least more visible. And I can't get HDR working on season 2 of Daredevil. Marco Polo looks stunning in HDR. I have no idea why the HDR for Daredevil isn't working.

HBO also needs to get their shit together with their HBO Nordic App, holy shit it's bad, the quality of the shows are fine, but I need some UHD options and a better UI cause the one they have now is really bad haha.

I am pretty sure only season 1 of Dare Devil is currently in HDR.

Cyborg

Shinobi upgraded to this Tv, but hes having a lot of trouble to find the right settings. @shinobi; did u already figure it out?

nikos

Have we figured out if YUV420 or RGB is ideal on the PS4 Pro? Also, Full or Limited range RGB? I've always used Limited on TVs but have been using Full on this one for some reason.

sobaka770

Banned
I agree with this as well. I almost can't watch Season 2 because of the subtle downgrade. I'm no videophile, but I notice a difference without HDR.

You gotta tell me where to look. Outside of increased brightness, I really find it hard to spot any major difference in quality, lighting or colour gamut. The whole thing is still very dark.

Neifirst

Potentially dumb question, but here it goes:

I purchased a new Onkyo receiver that handles 4K - should I connect my PS4 Pro to the KS8000 HDMI directly and then leave the receiver in CBL/SAT source mode? I would like to set this up so I have screen settings for TV that will then automatically shift to game mode when I turn on the Pro.

I previously just had my Wii U and PS4 connected to my old receiver directly and switched modes through that, but I'm still a bit overwhelmed about when and how to activate HDR and all the assorted changes.

Have we figured out if YUV420 or RGB is ideal on the PS4 Pro? Also, Full or Limited range RGB? I've always used Limited on TVs but have been using Full on this one for some reason.

10 bit 4k via HDMI 2.0a/b can only be 4:2:0. If you're playing 1080p 10bit RGB or 4:4:4 is fine though.

On the KS8000 you want full. The full or limited setting always depends on the range of the set and the output capability of the device connected to it. Some devices and content can only do limited. TV for instance is generally a limited source meaning the range of the black to white gradients is 16-235. Versus games and PC content which usually are full and do 0-255 if using a capable set. Does that make any sense?

The wierd this is in the past it was pretty much common knowledge regardless of set capability to use limited range for TV 's and full for monitors. But with HDR and 10 bit panels on TV' s we've moved into odd territory with those settings Nas I believe TV's should be treated more like monitors now in terms of limited vs full on these higher end sets. I could be wrong though.

Edit: I could be wrong about all of this. It depends on the type of YUV mode. Some support full range others don't. I don't know what type of YUV/YCBR the Samsung uses.

Cappa

Banned
do the KS8000 settings work for KS7000(Europe here)?

Also, whats the difference between KS7000 and KS8000 from the reviews it seems there is barely any difference and recommend saving $ and just going with the KS7000

do the KS8000 settings work for KS7000(Europe here)?

Also, whats the difference between KS7000 and KS8000 from the reviews it seems there is barely any difference and recommend saving $ and just going with the KS7000

Go with the 7000 UK. (US 8000).

The only differences are in design and its not worth the cost increase.

Cappa

Banned
Go with the 7000 UK. (US 8000).

The only differences are in design and its not worth the cost increase.

This seems to be what I read with the reviews as well.. thank you. Its nearly a 300-400 euro difference between the two models and I cant seem to justify that extra cost.

This seems to be what I read with the reviews as well.. thank you. Its nearly a 300-400 euro difference between the two models and I cant seem to justify that extra cost.

Did the exact same thing here. The deal some of us got with the Employee Pricing Program was staggering.

Just a quick question.

I've unpacked my KS7000 (UK) and on my PS4 Pro video output information it says HDR on my TV is not supported.

If I go into my TV settings, I can enable game mode or HDR+, but not both at the same time.

I've not played any games yet (just downloading stuff) but I'm a little confused.

Just a quick question.

I've unpacked my KS7000 (UK) and on my PS4 Pro video output information it says HDR on my TV is not supported.

If I go into my TV settings, I can enable game mode or HDR+, but not both at the same time.

I've not played any games yet (just downloading stuff) but I'm a little confused.

Turn off HDR+, it's for non-HDR content and is bad.

Make sure you have HDMI UHD Color turned on for the port you have it connected to.

Top Bottom