• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costanza

Banned
omg

Rumor has it that Netflix might be releasing an official iPhone app. Yeah, yeah, we know… there are already a bunch of iPhone applications which allow you to manage your netflix queue (some of which we wrote about in iPhone Apps For Movie Geeks). But I’m not talking about managing your rental queue (although, I’m sure it will be able to do that). According Multichannel News, an industry executive claims that Netflix will release an iPhone app will allow you to stream movies in your instant queue via Netflix’s Watch Instantly streaming service.

Earlier today it was reported that ABC is making available the first five seasons of Lost (as well as a few other shows) on Netflix Watch Instantly. Just imagine beign able to watch Lost or any of the great movies and tv shows available on Netflix Watch Instantly wherever, whenever. When I’m eating lunch down the street, watching Mad Men from my instant queue, then I’ll know I’m in the future.

Now before you get too excited, realize that the app will probably only work over a wifi connection. AT&T (cue the imperial march from Star Wars) has been very restrictive over streaming video applications in the app store. The company stripped the SlingPlayer app from being able to stream over 3G due to concerns that a streaming app might be too much for the cell network. A rumored Hulu app has not made an appearance, and will likely be restricted to Wifi only streaming. But strangely AT&T and iPhone allow the MLB At Bat and YouTube to stream video over the 3G network.

A Netfix app would be a lot more interesting if I could watch my digital queue movies on the bus, or wherever. Same could be said with the Slingbox app or the possibly upcoming Hulu app. It is a shame that 3G streaming isn’t being allowed at this time. It seems to me that it is only a matter of time before these type of features really take off on other phones (actually, the Blackberry allows Slingbox streaming on 3G already) before AT&T is forced to give in. But will the network be strong enough to support the bandwidth?
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/03/netflix-to-stream-movies-on-the-iphone/

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Costanza said:
Shouldn't be a problem if you're jailbroken lol
I almost feel like I should just for this reason alone. It's idiotic to handicap the phone just because people actually use the thing.

Business wise, I'm sure it makes a ton of sense, but right now I'm a pissed off consumer, damnit!

Operations said:
Liking your work so far. I see that the icons are also customized, were those borrowed from another theme?
Yeah, got the majority of them from the Matte Nano theme - the rest I made using other existing icons, which I made into Matte Nano style icons.

SuperPac

RubxQub said:
I almost feel like I should just for this reason alone. It's idiotic to handicap the phone just because people actually use the thing.

Business wise, I'm sure it makes a ton of sense, but right now I'm a pissed off consumer, damnit!

I can only imagine how much the service would suffer if everyone was using awesome streaming video apps over 3G. Sad, but since AT&T's the only provider of the device they've painted themselves into a corner over it.

Someone posted this article in another thread, and I think it's worth reading if you haven't:

http://www.techcrunch.com/2009/07/28/can-att-handle-the-iphone/

OverHeat

« generous god »
How many of you who did jailbreak their phone still buy the app from the app store?

My friend who I sold My old 3G is teasing that he got Navigon for free will I payed 69.99$......

Blackhead

Redarse
Dez said:
Dock 3.0 never worked for me on os 3.0. Is that the reason you struck it out? Is there a replacement for it?
Yeah, it appears the developer for dock has abandoned the project. The closest replacement I can find is mQuickDo and while it has some nice features it's not exactly what I wanted :(

OverHeat said:
How many of you who did jailbreak their phone still buy the app from the app store?

My friend who I sold My old 3G is teasing that he got Navigon for free will I payed 69.99$......
This is why we can't have nice things...

Tobor

OverHeat said:

Your friend is a piece of shit.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
OverHeat said:

The idea of stealing an official app has never crossed my mind.
I've never even read about how it works but assumed it was possible.

Stealing cheap apps is beyond stupid.
Something more expensive like a navigation app is something I would invest my money in if I really needed it.

Also, Tobor is right. Your friend is a piece of shit.

OverHeat said:

I jailbreak and still buy all my apps. i also buy albums too so i guess im just a wierdo :(

Meier

crisdecuba said:
Okay, still chuggin' along, seeing what works...

<awesomeness>

I assume this only is possible on a jailbroken phone?

DMeisterJ said:
Is there a way you can get battery percentage on an iPhone 3G? That'd be so useful to me.
It's possible on the 3Gs so I assume it's the same on the 3G? For the life of me I can't find where I did it though...

DMeisterJ

Banned
Tobor said:
Your friend is a piece of shit.

Fourthed or fifthed.

Don't steal Apps... And that is why we can't have nice things.

Meier said:
It's possible on the 3Gs so I assume it's the same on the 3G? For the life of me I can't find where I did it though...

No, it's not on the 3G, only on 3Gs. You have to jailbreak.

RubxQub

iPhone - Official Thread of Overheat's Friend is a Piece of Shit

jts

...hate me...
So, I jailbroke and after trying to install SBSettings my iPhone is stuck on a "reload springboard" screen for 25 minutes now, should I worry?

Can I just turn it off?

RubxQub

jts said:
So, I jailbroke and after trying to install SBSettings my iPhone is stuck on a "reload springboard" screen for 25 minutes now, should I worry?

Can I just turn it off?
:lol

So I attempted to jailbreak my phone about 5 days ago and that same exact thing happened. Was such a pain in the ass.

Ended up having to manually put the thing in recovery mode and restore it to original firmware and reload all my shit on it.

It's for this reason I'm not jailbroken right now.

LCfiner

jts said:

Can I just turn it off?

yeah, this happened to me twice months and months ago on my old 3G. it's the reason I'm not jailbroken on the 3GS.

You may have to put it in restore mode and put everything back on.

jailbreaking has some risks (they're not huge risks) but they are risks. i didn't want to take any more of them with my phone so I stopped. (an ipod touch would be a different matter)

I still miss lockinfo/ intelliscreen sometimes.

mrkgoo

FooFighter said:
So I'm assuming the recent update hasn't done anything significant?
Depends on what you mean by significant. It patched a security hole that allowed someone to take over your phone to varying degrees by SMS.

Enzom21

jts said:

Can I just turn it off?
Did you try manually shutting it down?

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, it happened to me once when I was installing fonts. I didn't do a retore though; I SSHed into the phone (or you can use of those apps that connect through USB) and replaced the faulty app. A reboot was then sufficient to bring it back to normal. I've never had problems with SBSettings before, it's usually one of my most stable mods...

For any Twitterers in here, what app do you like best? I like Tweet Deck because of it's look and UI but it's annoying that I can only randomly see my posts to trending topics and that I have to jump through hoops to see the trending topic list and can't make it a column.

I bought Tweetie thinking it would be the best like everyone claims but it's basically the same exact thing as the free Twitterfon. I actually like Twitterfon better because it highlights new additions in yellow, and you can refresh trending topics with the refresh button unlike Tweetie where you either have to hit the search bar and hit search to reload or go back and hit the topic again. No refresh.

Anyone have a better recommendation? I'm forcing myself to use Tweetie because I paid for it but I think Twitterfon is the champ.

Manics

Banned
jonnybryce said:
For any Twitterers in here, what app do you like best? I like Tweet Deck because of it's look and UI but it's annoying that I can only randomly see my posts to trending topics and that I have to jump through hoops to see the trending topic list and can't make it a column.

I bought Tweetie thinking it would be the best like everyone claims but it's basically the same exact thing as the free Twitterfon. I actually like Twitterfon better because it highlights new additions in yellow, and you can refresh trending topics with the refresh button unlike Tweetie where you either have to hit the search bar and hit search to reload or go back and hit the topic again. No refresh.

Anyone have a better recommendation? I'm forcing myself to use Tweetie because I paid for it but I think Twitterfon is the champ.
Twittelator does everything u could ask for in a Twitter client

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, thank you guys. I ended up turning it off and then when I tried to turn it on again it wouldn't boot.

I was fucking worried sick, my iPhone is 5 days old. I thought I would end up with the most expensive brick in the world.

But yeah, it is restoring now. What a relief.

I'm not so sure if I'll try to jailbreak it again so soon.

I think you have to install mobile substrate before you can install sbsettings and winterboard. The same thing happened to me, where it would show the apple logo, and then shutoff, and I had to restore. But then I just installed mobile substrate before everything else and it worked fine.

I also didnt know things were different from using 3g and wifi...should be interesting for the netflix application. I'll check that 3g unrestrictor out

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
^

Bingo.

There's an order of operations when it comes to post-jailbreaking procedures.

mrkgoo

When you guys say 'wouldn't boot', do you mean it doesn't turn on at all, or just gets stuck with the Apple logo (otherwise known as Apple Logo of Death)?

ALOD is related to the application map. My understanding is that significant changes (moving apps around, crashes, installing, removing apps) can cause the application map to be redrawn, or to target it for redrawing during boot.

Now when it boots, it starts redrawing. If you have a lot of apps, or large apps, or certain apps, this can make it take a long time. This is a problem because a process (mobilewatchdog.bundle), watches the reboot, and if it ever takes more than 2 minutes, it forces a reboot. This ends up being a perpetual process.

A forced reboot (hold home and sleep/wake) 3-5 times can eventually allow a reboot, but disables the non-default apps, until resync. I get ALOD frequently (or I did on 3.0, I didn't on 2.2, and have yet to see it on 3.0.1) and the best way to solve it wasn't actually a restore, but a forced reboot 3 x while connected. Don't ask me why.

jts

...hate me...
mrkgoo said:
When you guys say 'wouldn't boot', do you mean it doesn't turn on at all, or just gets stuck with the Apple logo (otherwise known as Apple Logo of Death)?

ALOD is related to the application map. My understanding is that significant changes (moving apps around, crashes, installing, removing apps) can cause the application map to be redrawn, or to target it for redrawing during boot.

Now when it boots, it starts redrawing. If you have a lot of apps, or large apps, or certain apps, this can make it take a long time. This is a problem because a process (mobilewatchdog.bundle), watches the reboot, and if it ever takes more than 2 minutes, it forces a reboot. This ends up being a perpetual process.

A forced reboot (hold home and sleep/wake) 3-5 times can eventually allow a reboot, but disables the non-default apps, until resync. I get ALOD frequently (or I did on 3.0, I didn't on 2.2, and have yet to see it on 3.0.1) and the best way to solve it wasn't actually a restore, but a forced reboot 3 x while connected. Don't ask me why.
ALOD is what happened to me.

Manics

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
^

Bingo.

There's an order of operations when it comes to post-jailbreaking procedures.
WTF. I thought Cydia was supposed to solve the issue of dependencies when installing apps so you don't run into issues like the poster a few up did? Shouldn't it prevent you from installing an app that requires mobile substrate if you don't have it installed first? That's the way the debian-APT works (which is what Cydia is based on)

Costanza

Banned
the first time you load up cydia it tells you there are essential upgrades. pretty sure one of those is mobilesubstrate.

I'm assuming you guys didn't do those updates?

Foob said:
Also, while we seem to be on a screenshot trend, here's my set up...

25gwgpk.jpg

Not bad. I like the Mail and Facebook icons.

jts

...hate me...
Jailbroke again...

Trying to install mobile substrate first this time then.

But, again, I'm stuck on a "reload springboard" screen for 10 minutes now.

I'll wait. How much time would be reasonable to do so?

If I have to restore again... then fuck jailbreak. I'd love to have it, but I love the iPhone anyway.

jts

...hate me...
Double post, sorry. Meant to edit but quoted mine.
Costanza said:
the first time you load up cydia it tells you there are essential upgrades. pretty sure one of those is mobilesubstrate.

I'm assuming you guys didn't do those updates?
I did it.

There was an "essencial update" and a "complete update", I did the last one. Still stuck. Ugh.

Costanza

Banned
Did you give Cydia like a minute to load up before doing anything (it says like reloading data, downloading packages, etc)? That can fuck it up too.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the deal is.

Meier

jonnybryce said:
For any Twitterers in here, what app do you like best?
I used Tweet Deck for awhile since I liked that it was free but it was very unresponsive from my experience. I do like the columns feature though -- I wish the others had that same functionality. Tried Twitterfon's free version but got annoyed at the ads. Saw a friend using Tweetie and fell in love so I bought it. I've heard Twitterator (sp) is pretty good too but it's $5. Tweetie's $2.99 is the sweet spot.

jts

...hate me...
Costanza said:
Did you give Cydia like a minute to load up before doing anything (it says like reloading data, downloading packages, etc)? That can fuck it up too.

Otherwise, I have no idea what the deal is.
I think so. When I first run Cydia, some message appears and says that it's reorganizing or some shit like that and that it will close the app after it's done. And then I think I'm good to go, no?

But whatever. Thanks for the help though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom