• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binary Domain Demo Impressions (JP - Out Now, US/EU - Feb 15 2012)

iavi

Climb to the top of the stairs and fight it from above. Keep an eye out for button prompts once you weaken it.

Thanks, I removed all of it's outer casing (I love the enemy deterioration in this game) and it still kept on chugging. I'll give it another go.

I reserved the 360 version (for now) today at GameStop so
I get the multiplayer pack for free.
However the clerk said "whats Binary Domain"...

Anyway Ive noticed this...
PS3 sharper overall image quality.
360 better effects & smoother frame rate.

Suzuki Yu

^^
SEGA have announced that a playable demo of Binary Domain will be coming on February 15.

The demo will be available on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 and will feature two missions from the final game. You’ll take control of Dan Marshall and take control of a squad of teammates to battle through two of the early Rust Crew’s missions set in near future Tokyo.

Corto

All these reports of the PS3 version with performance problems surely pushed me to a wait-and-see approach. A pity really... How can this happen in a previously exclusive PS3 developer?

Feindflug

All these reports of the PS3 version with performance problems surely pushed me to a wait-and-see approach. A pity really... How can this happen in a previously exclusive PS3 developer?

Sure it's weird considering most of us thought that the PS3 was the lead platform due to the previous works of the devs with the system but it's not like such a thing never happened before - see Portal 2, it was Valve's third game on the 360 and the PS3 version was much better. :p

Xater

It's not like the Yakuza games were technical marvels on PS3. They always seem to run in sub-HD.

gogogow

That Kotaku writer is a troll. Doesn't care about the game, though he's interested in the concept, but has no enthusiasm at all and hasn't tried the demo...WTF!

Maffis

I think the story seems to be very promising, but the gameplay seems very bland. I don't know if I should pick this up or not.

Tokubetsu

Really looking forward to trying this. Is the US PS3 demo the same as the JP one? Performance still poor? I'll dl the 360 version to be safe but I'm still curious.

ironcreed

Banned
After playing the ME3 demo, I played this and loved it as well. It is like Gears meets Vanquish, but still feels like it is doing it's own thing with squad commands and so forth. Honestly, I actually like it better than either of those games. AI seems good, the gameplay is fast and fluid and some of the animations are great.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I definitely found the framerate a little bit too jarring on the PS3 demo which is a shame, eager to see how the 360 version fares when the demo hits.

ironcreed

Banned
I just played the demo on PS3 and it seemed fine for me. Did not notice any major choppiness or drops. Nothing that was bad enough for me to even pay any attention to anyway.

I'm very impressed, this might be the best shooter I've played since Vanquish (my favorite shooter by far this gen). Love the way the robots disintegrate when you shoot them. Tight responsive controls, weapons feel nice, team dynamic seems good as is the voice acting. Wish the camera could be pulled back a bit though. Didn't notice any framerate problems on PS3, seemed smooth and consistent throughout both stages. Weird so see so many people having issues with it... but then I didn't have any significant performance problems with Skyrim or New Vegas either, maybe I have a magic PS3?

Suzuki Yu

yeah it's the same performance in the PS3 demo.... so i am going with the 360 ver definitely.
what's missing though is the training mode & the video presentation for the voice recognition system, that's why the size is only 800MB

but i noticed something good in this demo.
they removed Dan's voice while in mid-battle, so Awkward moments when someone is yelling "YEAH!" won't happen again!
and i like the voice acting, i don't think it's bad at all.
the dialog in mid-battle is good and engaging ... not annoying.

Xellos

Tried the demo and enjoyed it. The damage modeling on the enemies is cool and I'm interested in seeing how the squad mate trust/conversation system works in the full game. As for the framerate, it was OK in mission 1 but chugged hard when the action ramped up in mission 2.

I played a few minutes of the US demo earlier tonight. Very impressed with the voice acting. I was already sold on the gameplay from the JP demo.

sleepykyo

Really looking forward to trying this. Is the US PS3 demo the same as the JP one? Performance still poor? I'll dl the 360 version to be safe but I'm still curious.
Never tried the jp demo but the US ps3 demo has a fairly poor frame rate on the second stage .

Is the demo up on XBL? I cant seem to find it, despite a big "get the demo now" placard on the demo page.

Get your crap together MS, this is at least the second time that's happened (billboard advertising a demo up up for hours on XBL while the demo itself still doesn't seem to exist...).

Just tried the first stage and the game feels like a mix of Gears of War and Vanquish. The cover system doesn't snap as quickly as Gears does but it's serviceable. The controls are almost identical to Gears and Uncharted. The main character, Dan, looks like Chris from RE5 from the over-the-shoulder view - almost the same uniform too.

You can buy ammo and upgrades for your weapons, as well as skills that boost your health and all that. You get money from killing enemies and completing certain objectives throughout the stages. One objective had you go on top of a roof so you can jump on top of a mech, you're then in a mini-game sort of thing where you balance yourself while you're trying to shoot off its mechanized dome. Controls are intuitive so the process isn't as bad as you think it is.

Anyway, it's a decent third person shooter from the Yakuza devs. I'll probably buy it later though.

Oh yeah, had no performance issues on PS3. I think the game looks decent too. Voice acting isn't that bad either.

deim0s

Just played the demo a few minutes ago, I'm impressed. Never bought anything from the kiosks in the game (can you?), just picked up items/ammo/guns or anything laying on the floor.

Never noticed any framerate problems with the second stage or is it I'm just busy shooting bots.

I'm picking this one up day one!

Is the demo up on XBL? I cant seem to find it, despite a big "get the demo now" placard on the demo page.

Get your crap together MS, this is at least the second time that's happened (billboard advertising a demo up up for hours on XBL while the demo itself still doesn't seem to exist...).

It is there, just do a search for it and it will come up.

Just played the demo a few minutes ago, I'm impressed. Never bought anything from the kiosks in the game (can you?), just picked up items/ammo/guns or anything laying on the floor.

Never noticed any framerate problems with the second stage or is it I'm just busy shooting bots.

I'm picking this one up day one!

Yeah, you can buy health packs, ammo, and upgrades for your characters from those kiosks.

I've played the JP PS3 and Xbox demos, so it was cool to play it in English. The voice acting isn't bad at all. The English guy and the Chinese girl sound pretty good, in particular. Haven't tried out the butch chick yet. Or Big Bo.

The PS3 demo ended before you started fighting the gorilla robot. In the JP one, you fought it for a while, before it ended.

The frame rate is still kinda shoddy in the PS3 demo. I already know that the Xbox one is a lot more stable.

If I hear more good things about it, I'll definitely get it on Xbox.

PowderedToast

wow, this was damn good. i loved how in the beginning the squad mates have unique dialogue depending on who you choose. quite rare to see that attention to detail. the prompts you get during battle are also specific to who you choose. well done sega.

Xater

Ok I just finished the first level of the demo and I was surprised how solid the shooting felt. I did not expect this at all from this team. I'll try the second level now, but this might go back onto my buying list.

Ok I just finished the first level of the demo and I was surprised how solid the shooting felt. I did not expect this at all from this team. I'll try the second level now, but this might go back onto my buying list.

Yup

Between this and Vanquish, US devs like Bioware should be embarressed with shit like the ME3 demo

available now on Marketplace (use the search engine)
the file size is way bigger than the JP demo! 1.65GB!

Weird, the PS3 demo is just a bit over 800MB.

I tried messing around with the voice recognition test in the menu and i don't know if it's my shitty pronunciation (not an native english speaker) or the headset, but word recognition was very spotty. I'm using Sony's original PS3 headset and at first i thought that perhaps the volume was set too low, so i put it to max, but the game still wouldn't recognize many of the lines/commands. It was comically selective about it, for instance, it would recognize some longer words/lines, but not short ones like "Fuck", "Shit" and "Damn". Even not being a native speaker, i would like to believe that i know how to pronounce those correctly. Granted, i did lower the recognition score setting, which might have contributed to it, but i only did that because it would hardly register anything in the first place. I would get a pretty high score on some words, while most of the other ones wouldn't register at all. After i lowered the setting the number of recognized commands improved dramatically, but i found it puzzling that the game still wouldn't recognize a bunch of monosyllabic words.

Did anyone else have to fiddle around with the settings, or did you achieve good results right out of the gate?

Top Bottom