• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NEW] Alan Wake Screens

Proelite

The draw distance was incredible, and the amount of textures. Daymn. Is the PC version like 4 discs or something?

Chiggs

Proelite said:
The draw distance was incredible, and the amount of textures. Daymn. Is the PC version like 4 discs or something?

I would like to know this, too. I doubt the 360 version will be as good, but I bet it will at least be pretty comparable.

JuanMR2

tegdf said:

Open Windows Media Player, goto File, Open URL and paste this --http://mfile.akamai.com/28603/wmv/intelstudio.download.akamai.com/10670//idf/event3/092606_pso/pso_high.wmv

Pimpbaa

Proelite said:

Really can't compare the size of games on discs on PC games and console games. They can heavily compress the data on PC game discs due to it all been installed to the hard drive. But on a console they can't do this, and often have to put redundant data on the disc to keep load times minimal

Hot, I cant wait for this game, I LOVE Remedy. I still hold out hope for a Max payne 3 someday.

rc213 said:
The main character is in a comma and has to find his way through a dream world on his way to regaining his consciouness!!! OMG!

I dont know if your that far off actualy, that seems to be what the E3 06 trailer indicated, it's a possability at least.

lollerskates said:
:lol

haha. I hope this game has NO dream sequences. You just brought back bad Max Payne memories. "waaahhaa wahahhahaa" I can still hear that crying baby.

I THNIK he probably ment Max Payne 2's dream sequences, those were amazing.

I am watching the video now, havnt reached the Alan Wake part yet. I though onthe comercal at the begining whne the PC took off his jacket it ment the CPU was overheating :lol

tegdf

JuanMR2 said:
Open Windows Media Player, goto File, Open URL and paste this --http://mfile.akamai.com/28603/wmv/intelstudio.download.akamai.com/10670//idf/event3/092606_pso/pso_high.wmv

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

holy shit that was amazing

Sean

Banned
I said WOW.

It blows every other next-gen game out of the water IMO. I can't find anything to complain about besides maybe his running animation. The lighting is amazing. It's some of the best looking water ever in a video game. The physics are awesome in that tornado part. The sunrise was f**king beautiful. Alan Wake just looks really solid both technically and art-wise. I can't wait to see more information on this game.

eso76

Just watched the video and i've gone all OMGWTFCTBTIH !

Most impressive graphics ever if you ask me. Yeah, i'd say better than Crysis, everything considered, not to mention the game sounds 1000x more interesting.

Hopefully we'll be shown how the x360 version is shaping up today at X06, because i'm not updating my pc anytime soon (soon = 2 yrs)

tjhooker

Banned
Fredrik said:
Wow. They will never get that to run at an acceptable framerate on the Xbox360. Never.

3 cores vs 4 cores.

I think they would.

I'm just curious about the physical size of this game - it looked massive.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
tjhooker said:
3 cores vs 4 cores.

I think they would.

I'm just curious about the physical size of this game - it looked massive.

I think the biggest problem would be that each of those Core 2 Duo cores are much much more powerful than the ibm cores in the 360.

wowzer looks pretty nice no doubt...hopefully the have a lot of interesting features in that huge environment too...or I can take a trip over to norway and experience that kind of environment for real....More than just exploration I hope they fill up the environment

peace

OMFG, AMAZING!

I cant wait, I see what you guys mean about the animation, but I am sure that will be fixed by release. The hurricane!! Awsome, I was worried at first when it seemed to be heading to the lard building than veered towards the cars, I though, damn, not gonna get to see a building torn up, but than it took out that tower type building, than the shed, though I hope it could have also in theory destroyed that big warehouse. I am very excited for this game. Not sure if I'll get it for PC of 360 though yet.

mckmas8808 said:
No, I was being serious. This thread should be 5 pages right now. The tornado scene by itself should add 3 more pages by itself.

Give it time.

KingJ2002

Core407 said:
I'm guessing the wait will be worth it. When I look at the screens of Alan Wake, it reminds me of Agartha.

"During the winter of 1929 in a Romanian village that was partially destroyed by a landslide that occurred during a mysterious earthquake, a subterranean city exists called Agartha. This is where evil is being kept prisoner and is desperate to escape. Kirk the human hero will encounter a series of characters from villages, the living dead, fanatics from an evil sect, monsters, demons, solider monks, priests, archangels and the Sentinel who is the ultimate personification of evil. As Kirk you can decide to save as many innocent people as possible or to trigger the arrival of chaos on earth. As Kirk's morals waver between good and evil, this ambiguity changes the aims of the adventure and the narration of the story."

sounds like dead rising but without the humor.

black_13

Banned
When are they actually going to show this game? It was announced last last E3 and still all I know is that it's a psychological action thriller staring Alan Wake who's wife has died and his dreams are turning into reality, and it has a badass physics/graphics engine.

Graphics are amazing...but I don't think I'll like the game unless it turns out to be something like Silent Hill. If it's more Max Payne-ish, I think I'll pass.

As for the X360 handling this...I'm sure it'll be fine. Will it match that overclocked mach Falcon setup with the quad-core....answer: hell no.

Uncle

black_13 said:
When are they actually going to show this game?

X06 most likely since it's being published by MGS and it's lookin that good. But since it's Remedy it might be a while before it's released.

From the looks of this its obvious it uses DX10, so i hope we dont get some lazy port for the 360 cuz i had a bad memory of Max Payne 2 for xbox. Otherwise its shaping to be a very good game.

rage1973

Wow that blows Crysis out of the water as the most impressive next gen graphics. I trust fully in Remedy to deliver great gameplay.

aaaaa0

Moderation Unlimited said:
As for the X360 handling this...I'm sure it'll be fine. Will it match that overclocked mach Falcon setup with the quad-core....answer: hell no.

And realistically, neither will the PS3. Just wait till you see the 8-core machines coming up.

Windows is ready for up to 64-cores and has been for years. :D :D

I loved everything except for the tornado part, the lighting, terrain, day to night transitions looked amazing. But the tornado looked really out of place and the physics of it were kind of off.

aaaaa0 said:
And realistically, neither will the PS3. Just wait till you see the 8-core machines coming up.

Windows is ready for up to 64-cores and has been for years. :D :D

Umm..what does this have to do with the PS3? This game is only coming out for the PC and X360 because it is MS published. Trying to insinuate a PS3 comparison FTMFL. We know where your allegiances lie.

jesus that video is insane... serously, how are they going to get this running on the 360, what could compete with that monster rig? and not to derail, but what's the deal with the 360 and dx10? can it do it? can it emulate it? is it a hardware or software issue?

eso76

Fredrik said:
Wow. They will never get that to run at an acceptable framerate on the Xbox360. Never.

I don't know. Remedy wrote the engine and i'm sure we haven't really seen what next gen consoles are capable of yet, with games built from the ground up to run on the hardware.
We should be seeing X360's A.Wake in a few hours anyway.

but what's the deal with the 360 and dx10? can it do it? can it emulate it? is it a hardware or software issue?

You guys really need to understand that such strict limitations don't exist. The whole "it can't be done because it's DX10" is just for programmers who only resort to using shaders included with the library they're given, but there's no theoretical (sp?) limitation to what can be achieved when coders write shaders themselves.
Heck, we've seen textured polys on Amiga 500, normal mapping on last gen consoles, HDR on xbox...i believe we've seen some texture filtering on PsOne...
It's all a matter of how much system resource it takes to emulate those effects, but it's also possible that different programmers come up with a more efficient code to obtain the same visual effect.

no I dont think that looks better than crysis, they are differentr types of games....crysis environments seem more immersive and realistic...this seems very large scale ans subdued...very impresses....I wonder how nds game will stack up, no doubt that will have huge environments too

peace

aaaaa0

Moderation Unlimited said:
Umm..what does this have to do with the PS3? This game is only coming out for the PC and X360 because it is MS published. Trying to insinuate a PS3 comparison FTMFL. We know where your allegiances lie.

Just making an general statement about how rapidly console hardware seems to fall behind the PC these days.

Honestly, anything that the 360 would have problems handling vs that quad-core PC, the PS3 would likely have similar problems as well.

Top Bottom