• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SimCity offline mode is FINALLY coming

quaide

Banned
I see this offline mode as less of an admission that they were wrong in restricting the game to be always online and instead as part of a long term strategy eventually leading to the game's servers being shut down entirely.

Perhaps. It could be the microtransactions and DLC content didn't extract enough money from consumers wallets. Therefore there aren't enough people paying or playing the game to warrant keeping the servers online.

I highly doubt EA/Maxis would do us any favors by making the game playable offline before they shut the servers down though. It is just not in their history. Fuck EA! Fuck Maxis!

Hearing about Simcity again is like opening old wounds that haven't quite healed yet.

JABEE

YsVErf0.png

"Why must I be held accountable for comments I made a year ago? Must not admit defeat. Never surrender snark. I am above them all..."

Jomjom

Banned
My question to people who are going with the "take Gies's original 'you literally don't know what you are talking about' tweet literally" defense:

Are you guys just ignoring his other tweets about the matter to the RPS guy?

Ok, say we give Gies the benefit of the doubt and his original tweet was not snarky at all and he just wanted to tell people they couldn't say 100% that Simcity could go offline without actually being a developer on the game.

If you subscribe to this notion, how do you reconcile his tweets to the RPS writer where he is 100% sure that the game wouldn't work if it was offline? Last time I checked he's never worked for Maxis (except maybe as an unpaid PR guy).

Well, Gies looks like a pillock.

And I guess this closes the book on the whole shameful Simcity fiasco. But I'm sure lessons will be learned from it and we'll see a slightly more subtle attempt at 'stealth DRM' sometime this year. Can't wait!

H2Yo

Is it bad that I actually really like that they do that? I think treating reviews as a living document and updating them based on the latest version of the game is actually a really, really good idea.

There are flaws to this method though.
So The Last of Us was reviewed by Philip Kollar and he gave it a 7.5. Now Polygon have always said that they have a round table discussion on what score they as a team give a game. At the time of the review, no one else (or very little) at Polygon had played the game. A week or so later, Justin McElroy played TLOU and said that he loved it. Now assuming the others also played and finished and loved the game, does this not warrant a score change?

I mean surely, this scenario would be the same with Forza Horizon? They gave it a 6.5, I doubt a round table would agree to this?

Jedi2016

I could give a shit about offline at this point, but I want to be able to stretch a single city across the entire region.

Savitar

First Xbox One, now Simcity.

Guess that cloud isn't as powerful or needed as said eh.

This is what happens when you try to force BS upon people.

Nuklear

Banned
The game is still has the small plot of land you are given to make your city so this really doesn't solve anything for me. Yeah, great offline mode is cool but the there are still fundamental parts to this game that are terrible still.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Didn't modders do this within a week of the game releasing? And yet it took the actual, paid developers a goddamn year to fix their mess? HA!

Probably already discussed...

But how would people feel about "timed" always online? So upfront, a publishers says a game will be always online for the first 6 months of release. After that, the requirement will be patched out.

Cynically, that is probably what has happened here (they can now drop all server support without the shitstorm). Is that acceptable?

Bedlam

The definite proof for me that shows there was no vital calculations in the cloud:
For all those people playing the game, imagine EA employing CPU time and calculating things that CoreI5's and CoreI7's are not sufficient to calculate. (yes, there are weaker processors out there but you get my idea), without a subscription based model. Impossible is what it is.
Haha, exactly. I remember making a very similar comment around the game's release. PR talk like "the game is so complex, we need to make the calculations server-side" was obviously bullshit because it would be economically insane for EA to provide that amount of computation power for every player.

She was promoted for the her actions and words on this disaster? Wow, I mean WTF?
Yup. She's senior vice president of EA now. Go figure.

What did they do to PvZ 2?

Before:
You could pick any level you wanted that you had unlocked.
Earn up to 3 stars per level based on how well you did.
Needed to earn/buy keys to unlock new levels.
Easier.

After:
Totally eliminated the world map.
Linear levels.
No more stars. You either won or lost.
No more keys. You unlock every level in order.
Much more difficult. Several levels are IMPOSSIBLE to pass without straight up buying a powerup.

Acorn

No city size increase? Still sucks and I've still wasted my money on a shitty game.

My worst purchase since I bought the "Gettin jiggy with it" single when I was a kid.

As soon as you had the game in your hand it was painfully obvious that the online stuff was just managing the region and no actual simulation on the city level was done remotely.

Gies (and Maxis) took everybody for a ride thinking of their customers as dumb consumers and started whining when they were called out on it. It was and is unacceptable and anyone defending them are doing everybody a massive disservice.

ismk

It took a year to finally listen to consumers? Wow. But this does make me want to buy it now though so I guess it's a working strategy.

trinest

It really feels like a ruse. Some kind of "hey guys over here" to quench other issues with the title. Personally I haven't played since shortly after launch (okay I have loaded it up since but only once or twice and not really a long session). But it seems to me this is just a way to remove attention from something, especially when pretty much everything else gamers want; bigger cities, terraforming etc. Are still been chalked under the rug as "lol technical difficulties prevent us from doing this".

Also don't forget the simple fact gamers want the Glass Box engine to work. Since Sim City was its flagship title, it really isn't showing how impressive the engine is, in fact the oppisate. Especially with the chunks having issues mapping out to its location it needed to go, essentially everything gets stuck in traffic even if its really easy for it to not be. I assume some of the issues with how the simulation have since been fixed, as it was a big deal when the game first came out. But I don't think much progress had happened around launch, so unless its been fixed, theres another nail in the games coffin.

In terms of terraforming that could easily be implemented. Prerendering the maps using a Sim City 2000 style method then allowing some customization if need be, and of course plunking down villages were need be. Plus in game it also isn't that big of an issue once it is limited to a certain plot. Though I guess maybe they are doing us a favour as to much terraforming restricts the land space which is already limited in some ways, if your putting in mountains or something.

In terms of bigger cities, surely they could just if it is true increasing the size causes performance issues just keeping the region concept they have, and expanding that region so its bigger, then making the city essencially the region? As in having predefined chunks in the land space which you can load out of and load into. Sort of a suburb for each loading screen and that sort of steps you down one extra level instead which would allow for bigger cities really.

These are of course just my uneducated opinion on these issues, but even then I've been able to prepose solutions to fix both items which seem to on the surface be something which would work considering they say theirs limitations certain things. But my main concern is if the game can't even support a larger city, how limited is the engine? Does that mean its quite restrictive in terms of how the packages work, which in the end means it was a dud engine they have developed, just said fancy to make it seem like it was a good idea?

First Xbox One, now Simcity.

Guess that cloud isn't as powerful or needed as said eh.

This is what happens when you try to force BS upon people.

At least the team at Microsoft changed their minds before launching their product. Two different situations maybe, but still, who thought it was a good idea to take a game about crafting a city, downsize it, make it a multiplayer experience, and then make it always online. I really wanted to buy it, but both the city size cap that is only there to support multiplayer really ruins it for me. Hopefully adding the offline mode will also open up bigger cities. Also, the fact that it really isn't a simulation where everyone has a set job, travels a set route, really destroys the idea of micromanaging the city. Traffic couldn't really be accurately tracked if someone was going to a different job every day, meaning that solutions to traffic jams might not actually work. Also, terraforming needs to be in the game. Hopefully they release a new one in the next couple of years that fix a lot of the issues.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
After a year has passed, it seems a little silly to use "You spoke. We listened". I mean just a little disingenuous, just a tiny bit.

Exactly. Especially after telling everyone that it was impossible to do. I still believe that the bigger maps will be coming down the line as well. There were some really good ideas in the game, but it was outweighed by all of the bad ideas. I think the bad ideas were micro-transaction fueled, but who knows.

Son Of D

Didn't this game come out like 10 months ago? Seems a bit late but these things are apparently difficult.

(On a slightly OT note, what is the best SimCity game for a newbie to the franchise?)

Jedi2016

Didn't this game come out like 10 months ago? Seems a bit late but these things are apparently difficult.

(On a slightly OT note, what is the best SimCity game for a newbie to the franchise?)
SimCity 4 is, I think, generally considered the best, by a pretty wide margin.

Skyzard

Banned

DS game would be good as an intro. Otherwise grab 4 and get sucked in :). 5 would be good to start out too I'm guessing due to smaller size focus, but limited city size is still holding me off (majorly).

Top Bottom