• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RGM79

Anyone have any thoughts on the Acer GN246HL? It's $230 CAD with free shipping from Amazon Canada. I've never had better than 1080p 60Hz, so I'm considering getting it.

Need a 2TB HDD but the WD Blue is only 5400rpm, does that make any difference to gaming?
Look around for Toshiba or Hitachi, and definitely go for 7200RPM if possible. Seagate may also be decent depending on the model. See here, some of those listed Hitachi models might be old though.

AmyS

Image of 8-Core AMD Zen Summit Ridge:

6gGyBVL.jpg

Double the performance of FX 8350 and comparable to Intel’s 8-core i7 5960X Extreme Edition

AMD has revealed that Zen will have double the performance of the FX 8350 and will trade blows with Intel’s eight core i7 5960X Extreme Edition. Not only that but a die shot of “Summit” what will be the basis of AMD’s long awaited next generation high performance FX Zen CPUs has finally been revealed.

AMD’s Zen 8 core enthusiast class Summit Ridge CPUs are reportedly slated for an October launch on the company’s brand new AM4 socket based desktop platform. These next generation FX CPUs will include eight and six core configurations. Which will deliver double the performance core for core of AMD’s current desktop FX 8300 and 6300 series lineup.

AMD’s Zen Eight Core CPU Delivers Double The Performance Of The FX 8350, A Real Challenger To Intel’s i7 5960X Extreme Edition

AMD has finally published additional performance figures for Zen beyond the 40% IPC improvement over excavator that the company talked about last year. The 40% IPC uplift figure represents the architectural performance per clock improvement of Zen vs

AMD’s last CPU architecture, code named Excavator. And while comparing the architectural capabilities of zen to Excavator may have been informative, it doesn’t offer a direct real-world product to product comparison. Thankfully, we do finally have direct real-world performance figures for Zen.

Compared to AMD’s “Orochi” quad module, eight core die powering the FX 8350, the Zen based desktop Summit Ridge eight core CPU delivers double the performance in Cinebench R15. This means that a single Zen core is in effect equivalent to two Piledriver cores in performance, which is incredibly impressive. This dramatic performance difference comes from the significant architectural performance per clock improvements in addition to Zen’s simultaneous multithreading capability.
it’s important to remember that AMD’s latest Orochi dies feature Piledriver cores rather than Excavator. Excavator cores are roughly 15% faster per clock than EXcavator. This in turn puts Zen at a lead in excess of 60% vs Piledriver in terms of performance per clock. Doubling the performance of the FX 8350 puts Zen in direct competition with Intel’s eight core i7 5960X.

Posting it in the new thread:

Sort of a newb question, a co worker is getting me a great deal on a Dell tower that is configured for computer animation, it has 16GB Ram with Xeon Quad core E5630 CPU and a Nvidea Quadro 4000 2GB GPU. very similar to this (the box is exact but a better GPU)

I really want a gaming rig, but I wouldn't mind a rig that is capable of running maya etc.

My question is, can I ALSO ADD a GTX980ti or maybe even a GTX 1080 or a 1070 in the soon future to these babies and use Windows 10. to switch between Graphic cards as I see fit?

Is there even enough (PCI) slots on a MB/ case like that to install two very different GPUs and run/switch over to each one as I see fit?

Like can I run the GTX 1080 on this baby 95% of the time and switch over to the Quadro 4000, when I do work? Is such sorcery even possible or I will run into serious system problems?

if the answer is yes, does a Xeon Quad Core play well with a GTX 1080, or I will face bottle-necking and other performance issues and I should stick to a i7 6700 K or something?

Please give me some advice.

23qwerty

Interested to see what your take is on SFF builds, Haz. Will be looking forward to that.

Maxed out at 1080p with a 970 only got me like high 90s/low 100s in the beta.

You'd be turning down some stuff to hit 144+ constantly.

Just go mATX to keep the SLI dream alive still.
what cpu do you have though? stuff tends to be cpu limited at high framerate

oh right I think I turned off a reflection setting that didn't make a huge difference visually but had big framerate gainz

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
Hey Gaf laptop question here (and somewhat applicable to my first pc build I suppose). I'm wondering if anyone knows what the CPU operating temperature is for a laptop (AMD Phenom II N830 Triple core). I cant seem to find an answer on google. I'm averaging around 70-80 Celsius at idle. Fan is running at 3300 to 4400 rpm constantly. Probably more on the higher end of that. Its an older laptop (and I'm worried that it's going to die while I'm still in university (one of the reasons I'm even building my pc). Its a Asus X72D that I bought in 2010-11. I've cleaned it recently and it helped a bit but not as much as I had hoped.

RGM79

Hey Gaf laptop question here (and somewhat applicable to my first pc build I suppose). I'm wondering if anyone knows what the CPU operating temperature is for a laptop (AMD Phenom II N830 Triple core). I cant seem to find an answer on google. I'm averaging around 70-80 Celsius at idle. Fan is running at 3300 to 4400 rpm constantly. Probably more on the higher end of that. Its an older laptop (and I'm worried that it's going to die while I'm still in university (one of the reasons I'm even building my pc). Its a Asus X72D that I bought in 2010-11. I've cleaned it recently and it helped a bit but not as much as I had hoped.
Those are very high temperatures, not a good sign at all. I think a new application of thermal paste and reseating the heatsink and thermal pads (if any) will help.

ekgrey

It's about damn time.

Goddamn, that would be amazing. Is it any harder building with an AMD chip and mobo? Isn't it easier to fuck up the pins? I assume this would be DDR4?

And do we have a price point or will that be announced at Computex?

Thorgal

just to make sure i am in the clear :

just now i had the pop up window apear with the saying that windows 10 was a planned update .

since i have no intention yet to switch over ( no matter how MS seems to want me to ) i have broken of the planned update ( through the blue text link and not the red cross so i know it has stopped and is not counting down in the background )

My only question is will this come up again now that i stopped the planned download ?

blitzkrieg184

Neo Member
Those are very high temperatures, not a good sign at all. I think a new application of thermal paste and reseating the heatsink and thermal pads (if any) will help.

I did take it apart and clean it out of dust and whatnot. And I did reapply new thermal paste (rice size) to it when I put everything together again. It definitely helped a bit but not as much as I would have hoped.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Nice, a new OT!

Current specs:
Intel 2600k @ 4.6ghz | Noctua NH-D14 | Asus P8Z68V-Pro GEN3 | 16GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-2T | 256GB Samsung 840 Pro | 160GB Intel 320 Series | EVGA 3GB GTX 780 Ti + hi-flow bracket | Seasonic X750 | CaseLabs Merlin SM8 | X-Fi Titanium HD | Samsung SH-222BB | Win 10 Pro 64-bit | Asus VH236H 23" 1080p monitor | Creative T40 | Corsair K70 w/ Cherry MX brown switches | Logitech G400s

This year I'm finally going to start the process of upgrading my rig.
4K monitor, Pascal video card, Broadwell-E cpu + mobo + DDR4
Can't wait :)

So what's the best path to upgrading my GPU? I bought a 960 when I built my computer last month as a sort of placeholder while I waited for these new ones. I was thinking about upgrading this Christmas. Will there be supply problems? Will the 980 and 980 TI have dropped in price? Not sure how this works.

*Now is the time to PM suggestions and such, thanks!

Reserved for SFF / Update comments.

• Updated Audio section
  • Made big notes about SSD failure on unexpected power loss
  • Changes to parts and prices
  • Big update to case section (some exciting ones now)
  • Updated top links
  • Added upcoming section in sheet
  • Added Skylake OC guide in second post
  • Trimmed a few items / sections of OP/SP

I've been pretty out of the thread, but there's some great new cases and power supplies. Just need a good mid range card in a couple months and everything will be looking up again.

You da man Hazaro. I've referred countless friends to these threads for build advice, truly invaluable. I might suggest maybe outlining some sort of Oculus/Vive-ready build in the OP, as you're inevitably gonna get a lot of questions here about exactly that.

FFMafia

I want to sell my Evga super clocked 980 to my co worker since he wants an upgrade. What's a decent price you think so I don't feel like I'm ripping him off since he isn't too up to date with things? Barely a year of use never over clocked

Question:

I have a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

Any reason it won't work with my LGA 1151 ASUS z170 PRO?

I know the newer version is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, but the Cooler Master website/product page on their website says it will still work with LGA 1151 sockets.

Just wanting to be sure

gamma

I have W10 on an Intel 160GB SSD from 2011. I want to retire that drive in the future and move W10 over to my Samsung EVO SSD. Will I have to purchase a new W10 license?

I also still have Windows on an 80GB Intel X-25M. Would there be any noticable benefit in putting it on a newer SSD?

Josh5890

New thread smell. Anyway, I'm going to finally dive in and pick up the rest of my pieces next week, minus the video card of course. I will probably get a GTX 1070 unless AMD throws us something awesome.

What I already have that will go in the box:

i5 6600K
Gigabyte Z170-HD3P
Corsair case
2 TB HDD

What I plan on purchasing:

PSUEVGA SuperNova 750 B1-http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperNOVA-Modular-Warranty-110-B1-0750-VR/dp/B00K85X23O?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER $65
SSDSamsung 850 EVO- http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OAJ412U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 $89
RAM Corisar Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0143UM4TC/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Windows 10 OEM- $86

I think the 750 watt might be overkill. Maybe a 650 is enough? I plan on using the SSD for OS and a 2TB HDD for my games. I like the ram since it is 3200 MHz. Thoughts or do these parts look good?

Theonik

So it looks like my G9 is finally pretty much completely dead. Definitely need a replacement asap. Any mouse people would recommend? I really have been struggling at finding a claw successor for years now since the G9X vanished.

gamma

So it looks like my G9 is finally pretty much completely dead. Definitely need a replacement asap. Any mouse people would recommend? I really have been struggling at finding a claw successor for years now since the G9X vanished.

Check out the G303.

Momentary

Banned

Bro, I just want to thank you again for linking me to NFC's website. I would have never known about this guy if it weren't for you. The ball is rolling and he's on board with designing the case. Paperwork is finished and now it begins. The case is in preparation for the 1080Ti or Titan. It'll probably be done months before those cards are released.
--------------------------------------------------------

My custom sleeved cables from EnSourced are coming in this :) Feels like torture buying PC parts so early for my build.This thing won't be done for a while.

kennah

Bro, I just want to thank you again for linking me to NFC's website. I would have never known about this guy if it weren't for you. The ball is rolling and he's on board with designing the case. Paperwork is finished and now it begins. The case is in preparation for the 1080Ti or Titan. It'll probably be done months before those cards are released.
--------------------------------------------------------

My custom sleeved cables from EnSourced are coming in this :) Feels like torture buying PC parts so early for my build.This thing won't be done for a while.
That's amazing!! I am so jealous.

AmyS

More on Summit Ridge / Zen from SemiAccurate.

AMD seems to have accidentally outed a rendering of a Summit Ridge wafer at its May 12th shareholders meeting. The image above is an upscaled version of the image taken from the livestream’s slidedeck shown below.S|A

UPDATE 5/22/2016 3:38 PST: Summit Ridge is the high-end desktop (HEDT) product that AMD has previously promised to release in Q4 of this year. It’s expected to be the first chip that integrates AMD upcoming Zen CPU architecture. Expectations are high and Summit Ridge may prove to be a make or break product for AMD.

sy8Fld0.png

UPDATE 5/22/2016 3:09 PST: I sent this image around to the usual suspects and I’m hearing some interesting takes on what we’re looking at in this wafershot.

There are clearly two large rectangular structures on each die. All signs point towards these being groupings of four cores and cache. There appears to be a memory interface on the upper left corner of the die.

The arrangement of resources shown here has some interesting implications for AMD’s other Zen-based products namely the upcoming Raven Ridge APU. Raven Ridge is rumored to be a quad core part. Given that Summit Ridge appears to have two quad core modules or groupings and a separate memory interface for each grouping that lines up nicely with expectations of a single module or quad core Raven Ridge. Additionally rumors have also suggested that the Zen-cored server chips that AMD’s working on will range in core count from 16 to 32 cores. These rumors/leaks line up nicely with an architecture that scales by fours.

The question that still remains unanswered is how will AMD scale from this apparently 8 core die to 16 and 32 cores? Will they spring for a larger 16 core die and package them as a multi-chip module (MCM) like with their older Opterons? Or will they utilize some kind of exotic 2.5D packaging technique. Both are interesting, if highly speculative, thoughts to consider.

UPDATE 5/22/2016 3:47 PST: Hans de Vries of chip-architect.com has posted this interpretation of one of the quad core modules in this Summit Ridge dieshot. Suggesting that the somewhat regular looking structures on the edges of the modules are the CPU cores themselves and that there is some form of a shared cache structure present in the center of a module. Again the source image was pulled from a slide on a livestream and then upscaled; thus it’s pretty amazing what kind of information various commentators like Hans have been able to infer about this chip so far.

UPDATE 5/22/2016 4:07 PST: Matthias Waldhauer or Dresdenboy of New Citavia Blog has also posted his interpretation of this wafer image. His finding are very similar to what Hans found and the posters in our Forum appear to be leaning towards. Four cores, an L3 cache in the center, and a DDR4 interface on top all appear to part of a single Zen module. There’s definitely more to it than just those macro-level components and there are portions of the die that we can only guess at. It’s worth noting that the cache at the center of the module could feasibly be either an L2 or an L3 cache although most are convinced it’s an L3. Additionally one of the unidentified structures on this chip has to be an integrated south bridge, as AMD promised, if this chip actually is Summit Ridge.

UPDATE 5/22/2016 4:26 PST: JeeBee a regular contributor to our Forums since 2010 has come up with a very detailed interpretation of this Summit Ridge wafer image. Pointing out where he believes the L3, L3 supporting hardware, and L2 caches are located. Most commentators appear to agree at this point on each Zen module housing an 8 MB L3 cache.

UPDATE 5/22/2016 5:06 PST: After more discussion Han de Vries has created another diagram highlighting where we believe the two DDR4 PHYs, South Bridge, and off-chip high-speed interconnect interfaces are. You can compare Hans’ interpretation to a professionally labelled image of AMD’s Carrizo die and make up your own mind. The rather irregular looking area on the top right hand area of the die is probably the South Bridge, as far as anyone can tell. The bottom left hand corner has very regular looking structures leading us to believe that it’s some kind of off-chip interconnect like AMD’s old Hypertransport or a rumored but as of yet publicly unconfirmed interconnect technology called GMI.

https://semiaccurate.com/2016/05/22/38688/

Several interpretation of the die / wafer.

AgLh94s.jpg

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=263123&postcount=2740

d5aoBgC.png

http://dresdenboy.blogspot.de/2016/05/first-amd-summit-ridge-wafer-spotted.html

FC0fbyN.jpg

ACE 1991

Just a CMOS BATTERY FAILED error. I'm assuming that means it needs to be replaced? Mobo is about 5 years old. What do I need to buy to replace it? Is it the kind of battery I can buy anywhere?

I have an extremely lightly used G9 I'm selling in the NeoGAF buy/sell/trade thread if you're interested. Just shoot me a pm.

***Unexpected power loss to your SSD/PC can corrupt ALL your SSD data. HIGHLY suggest a battery backup on a desktop, or have a current backup.

Wait what? I wasn't aware of this. Is this more of an issue than for normal HDD's?

I keep backups but still.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just a CMOS BATTERY FAILED error. I'm assuming that means it needs to be replaced? Mobo is about 5 years old. What do I need to buy to replace it? Is it the kind of battery I can buy anywhere?

You should hopefully be able to just pop out the battery and replace it. Pop it out and see what numbers are on it, then head down to your local Walmart and buy another one.

K' Dash

Guys, I´m about to pull the plunge on a 980ti for my new build, but there are so many fucking options out there, so I want you to help me pick one, the ones I like are:

- EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Super Clocked
- MSI Limited GAMING Edition GeForce GTX 980 TI 6GB OC DirectX 12 VR READY
- GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti 6GB G1 GAMING OC EDITION

Honestly, I fucking love the look of the MSI Gold, the copper pipes supposedly keep the card cooler, etc and it has a very nice overclock. I love Gigabyte, my current 780 GHz Edition is awesome. I´ve heard nice thing about EVGA so I liked that one too.

I´ve read reviews on all of them and they all seem very nice cards, but I wanter to read your input, I´m open to check other cards if you can recommend anything better than what I picked.

Ace 8095

Guys, I´m about to pull the plunge on a 980ti for my new build, but there are so many fucking options out there, so I want you to help me pick one, the ones I like are:

Honestly, I fucking love the look of the MSI Gold, the copper pipes supposedly keep the card cooler, etc and it has a very nice overclock. I love Gigabyte, my current 780 GHz Edition is awesome. I´ve heard nice thing about EVGA so I liked that one too.

I´ve read reviews on all of them and they all seem very nice cards, but I wanter to read your input, I´m open to check other cards if you can recommend anything better than what I picked.
You do know the 1080 is launching this week?

Is G-Sync a more or less must have when buying a 21:9 monitor? As in is it worth an extra $500 almost? The 21:9 G-Syncs are $1150-$1300, can be a lot cheaper if one doesn't go G-Sync.

Basically my question is 21:9 worth it, or should one just get 144hz/G-Sync instead?

kuYuri

I have the MSI card and I love it. It's quiet, looks good, and has good temperatures. I've had no problems with it so far and I've had it for about 9 months now. I've never tried overclocking it though.

Honestly at the end of the day, a 980 Ti is a 980 Ti, you'll get a great card regardless of which one you pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom