• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you could only have one system between PS1, N64 and Saturn...

Like in current time? N64. A alot of those ps1 games have not aged too well.

You're having a laugh if you think most N64 games have aged any better. In fact, I'd say overall the PS1 library has aged better because of more 2D games and a wider representation of genre's.

But, for this reason, the console with the most games that actually play well these days is almost certainly the Saturn! I think that 2D games hold up much better than 3D games from that generation, and the Saturn delivered in spades on this front (provided its a Japanese Saturn)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i made this choice when i was 8 and i stand by my decision

tumblr_nr55h9eFxt1slig2vo1_400.gif

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
PS1 had a higher quantity of high quality games than the N64. While Oot isn't the only N64 I enjoyed, its the only one I considered a must own. I didn't really miss the system when I sold it long time ago.

I see ppl acting like this is an easy win for ps1 but this is tough for me tbh..they all have amazing libraries in their own way. But if i had to pick

For Multiplayer def N64
Fighters and arcade ports:saturn
Other genres:ps1

One of the greatest consoles ever, or two duds of a system, one of which was the beginning of the end for Sega. 99% of people are picking PS1. The other 1% had parents who made bad investments in their children's entertainment department.

Well, that is assuming we were all kids during that generation.

Snyth said:
I had all three back.

Saturn > PlayStation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> N64.

These.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
As I actually made that choice in 1996, I chose Saturn. I'm not sure how anyone over the age of 15 who grew up playing Arcade games could consider anything else.

In hindsight? Nintendo 64. No question.

Enterthedragonpunch can cram it.

PS1.

Bizarrely, I look back on the Saturn and N64 with more fondness (maybe because they were flawed) but the PS1 had such a great all round catalogue of titles.

Super Mario 64 blew anything on the PS1. I mean that game legit blew my fucking mind and till this day is one of the most revolutionary games in history. The fact people are finding shit in Mario 64 says it all.

Plus Rare were undeniably amazing. For me personally I put quality over quantity any day. Which the N64 had a vast amount of memorable quality than the PS1.

I had all three back then.

Saturn > PlayStation >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> N64.

I fully understand if you have games you like more on whichever system. But, I just don't know how you can look at the insane library PSX had, and not choose it. The sheer numbers game of it is crazy stacked in its favor.

BriGuy

The PS1 has too much good stuff to pass over. I do love Mario 64 and OoT though. Fortunately, I didn't have to choose between systems.

The Saturn is like the only major console I didn't own. By the time I was in a position to afford one, it was practically dead and the Dreamcast was right around the corner, so I went for that instead. No regrets.

Like in current time? N64. A alot of those ps1 games have not aged too well.

And N64 has?

Let's not forget that the vast majority of N64 games were actually complete garbage. Definitely not the case for the PS1, a lot more of the third party output was great.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I fully understand if you have games you like more on whichever system. But, I just don't know how you can look at the insane library PSX had, and not choose it. The sheer numbers game of it is insanely stacked in its favor.
maybe he likes the Saturn library better

HotHamBoy

It's interesting how many people choose nostalgia over practicality. You would think the PS1 would be an easy choice based on the size and breadth of its library.

wreckml

Had all 3, preferred the N64. Mario Kart, Mario 64, Zeldas, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, THPS2. so many good memories on that console

growing up I had saturn and 64...

if i could pick 1 I still wouldn't pick ps1.

i think I'd go n64.... it was just the most fun and best for multiplayer

golden eye, perfect dark, mario kart, super smash bros, mario party, mario 64, banjo, tactics ogre, OoT.....these arent games.. these are genre defining art

and it had plenty of multiplat games.... thps, resident evil 2...

only thing you miss out would be the plethora of rpgs....eh oh well.. I survived it once, I can do it again.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I loved the PS1... but I would choose N64

It wasn't even a competition when it came to multiplayer.

My only memory of Saturn was playing Nights at a kiosk inside Toys R Us.

If you don't care for rpgs, the PS1 takes a huge step down. If you love Sega arcade games, the Saturn takes a huge step up.

And if you like schmups, the Saturn is far far better.

Saturn wins.

It's interesting how many people choose nostalgia over practicality. You would think the PS1 would be an easy choice based on the size and breadth of its library.

Super Mario 64, Rare, and Zelda were pretty much my bread and butter.

Liked the PS1 but not as much as N64 for those very reasons.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
If I had to do it all over again? N64 again. PS1 had a ton of garbage and unless you were a big RPG fan there wasn't much for you. N64 had game changers like OOT, Zelda, Smash Bros, etc.

I fully understand if you have games you like more on whichever system. But, I just don't know how you can look at the insane library PSX had, and not choose it. The sheer numbers game of it is crazy stacked in its favor.

TBH I never cared much for the vast majority of the PSX library. Lots of people say the games haven't aged well. I think most of them were never all that good to begin with.

Cynn

We owe modern gaming to the PSX. It was above and beyond all others. I had all three and am a Sega fanboy but nothing can deny the importance of the PSX.

PS1 is the obvious answer...

But I loved the Saturn. There was this one fighting game, Eternal Champions which I believe was on the Genesis as well - damn that game was fun.

Plus the Saturn just screamed cool to me with it's design. But maybe that's my nostalgia taking over...

I'm pretty sure I've played every n64 game worth playing to death by now.

But the psone there's still so many great games for it I've never even gotten to play. Library is too large, too diverse and too strong

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Had all 3 and beside Mario 64, Saturn all the way. The 2D was so great back then, all the fighters and the RPGs!

The 2d stuff still looks great today, same can't be said about PS1 3d effects and N64...

We owe modern gaming to the PSX. It was above and beyond all others. I had all three and am a Sega fanboy but nothing can deny the importance of the PSX.

I'd say I'd consider N64 more important due to how revolutionary Mario 64 was for 3D games, but that's me.

I wonder how many people in here have actually gone back to revisit their favourite games from that generation?

It... doesn't always end well.

Top Bottom