• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

Threi

notag
Q. Why do you need that download? Is there something wrong with the newest firmware? Its been running everything fine for me so far...

Twig

Banned
Threi said:
Q. Why do you need that download? Is there something wrong with the newest firmware? Its been running everything fine for me so far...
I assume it's for the paranoid who are waiting to see if the new firmware causes any problems.

TunaLover

I wish they could fix the GCN memory cards thing on HBC, having to extract it is a little annoying. I think they should drop the Gecko support, I doubt someone is using it to run HBC at this point, maybe for development users only.

EDIT nevermind, it was fixed :lol

xero273

The reason is this

I'm getting the following error: "this is not a valid wii application"
Yell at the author of that application, he uses a non standard base address. Or, if you've updated to beta9, yell at the author of that application, he should be using DOLs, not ELFs. Or tell him to use the new DevkitPPC, whenever that comes out. See the HBC README.txt file for more information.

So for those that already updated, you have to wait until they update gecko.

samratty

So can I get a quick lowdown please? I haven't got round to getting Twillight Princess, thus my Wii is unhacked, is it safe for me to download the new update needed for shop channel with the expectation that I want to hack the Wii within the next month?

I heard some talk of it not, but that was a few days ago and I know how weird people like to spread rumours and then hysteria takes hold.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
samratty said:
So can I get a quick lowdown please? I haven't got round to getting Twillight Princess, thus my Wii is unhacked, is it safe for me to download the new update needed for shop channel with the expectation that I want to hack the Wii within the next month?

Yes, it is safe.

The update did not break anything related to running homebrew. It did break installing homebrew for use without Twilight Princess. This has since been fixed, and you can install homebrew again.

samratty

Stumpokapow said:
Yes, it is safe.

The update did not break anything related to running homebrew. It did break installing homebrew for use without Twilight Princess. This has since been fixed, and you can install homebrew again.
Thanks man.

Linkhero1

TunaLover said:
I wish they could fix the GCN memory cards thing on HBC, having to extract it is a little annoying. I think they should drop the Gecko support, I doubt someone is using it to run HBC at this point, maybe for development users only.

EDIT nevermind, it was fixed :lol
Fixed with 8 or 9? I have 8 and still have the GCN memory card problem.

TunaLover

The GCN memory card bug is gone in the HBC, but it still present in the GeckoOS, it doesn't let you run the app with the cube memory cards inserted... -.-

All those .elf apps died.

Threi

notag
The new HBC is kind of gimped right now, half of my apps don't work. If you don't want to wait for the next update i suggest you keep the current version until they get .elf files working.

Linkhero1

I'm guessing I have to wait for Homebrew Channel Beta 10 now since I already installed Beta 9? Oh well I'll just stick to menu loader for now.

xero273

Threi said:
The new HBC is kind of gimped right now, half of my apps don't work. If you don't want to wait for the next update i suggest you keep the current version until they get .elf files working.

Did you try converting all your .elf files into .dol? or does that not work?

jrricky

Banned
Why do I have an error when I try to run roms automatically from vba? I have to search for the directory its in just to play it. Plus when I save in the games, I never actually find those game saves for some reason when I want to continue my game.

There doesnt seem to be any walkthroughs of where to set up your folder so the vba could find it easily without any errors. Could someone help me?

Linkhero1

jrricky said:
Why do I have an error when I try to run roms automatically from vba? I have to search for the directory its in just to play it. Plus when I save in the games, I never actually find those game saves for some reason when I want to continue my game.

There doesnt seem to be any walkthroughs of where to set up your folder so the vba could find it easily without any errors. Could someone help me?
I have the same problem. I actually never looked into it that much because I was only testing to see if the emulators worked for me :p

larvi

jrricky said:

From http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Visual_Boy_Advance_GX:

ROMs & saves files should be stored in vbagx/roms and vbagx/saves on the root of your SD card or USB flash drive. You can copy the vbagx directory from the archive to your support drive. Your ROMs must be in ".gba" format.

Haven't tried it myself though, I still use my cube and GBA player.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
VBA looks for a folder named "vbagx" even though it creates one with a different name while installing (I know, it's stupid, but that's it). Just rename it to vbagx and you'll be fine.

jrricky

Banned
Jocchan said:
VBA looks for a folder named "vbagx" even though it creates one with a different name while installing (I know, it's stupid, but that's it). Just rename it to vbagx and you'll be fine.
Thanks for the input. Ill try to fix it after Im done with some game time with Castlevania. Thanks everyone.

Anyone know if any progress has been made with MAME? I'm mostly interested in it for old beat 'em ups, anyone tried The Simpsons, Spider-Man, or Turtles in Time? Is there a compatibility list floating around out there anywhere?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Got the patched GeckoOS working without a hit.
Unofficially updated my Wii Shop. Purchased Rotohex and downloading as I type this. :)

Linkhero1

What features does GeckoOS have that make it better than Wii Menu Loader? I want to compare the two. Last time I tried GeckoOS to play Naruto Clash of Ninjas 4 for GCN it wouldn't boot up but it worked fine with Menu Loader.

Mejilan

I don't know anything about the app you use.
GeckoOS does support a homebrew cheat solution.

Linkhero1

Mejilan said:
I don't know anything about the app you use.
GeckoOS does support a homebrew cheat solution.
Is the cheat solution a way into tricking your Wii and TV into playing a game that wouldn't work at all with them? For example a 50 Hz Pal game on a US Wii.

Mejilan

Linkhero1 said:
Is the cheat solution a way into tricking your Wii and TV into playing a game that wouldn't work at all with them? For example a 50 Hz Pal game on a US Wii.

No, I mean an Action Replay-like cheat system, only without the $40 price tag and the annoying disc-swapping.

If GeckoOS doesn't feel like loading a shitty licensed-game, I'd consider that a credit to the app.

;p

Linkhero1

Mejilan said:
No, I mean an Action Replay-like cheat system, only without the $40 price tag and the annoying disc-swapping.

If GeckoOS doesn't feel like loading a shitty licensed-game, I'd consider that a credit to the app.

;p
Oh that sounds pretty neat. I'll keep both menu loader and geckoOS then.

Also: I'm sorry viciouskillersquirrel :(

TunaLover

GBA emulator, VBA GX 1.0.4 is out

Improvements
-Complete port of VBA-M - now uses blaarg's new audio core, latest GB core
-Frameskipping improvements
-Sound processing improved - L-R channel reversal corrected, skipping fixed
-Saving problems fixed, game compatibility improved
-IPS/UPS/PPF patch support
-SD/USB hot-swapping!
-SDHC support
-Zoom setting saved
-Widescreen correction option
-GameCube support is back, including Qoob support!

Finally can play Mother 3 with nice sound in comfy couches :D

Notes from the Developer
-Speed could still use some improvement. If anyone can make the code more efficient, knows PPC assembly, or can make it faster in any way, let me know.

-Using Save or state files from older versions may cause this version to CRASH or other strange side effects (no sound)! If you're having problems, delete your old save/state file, and/or turn off auto-load. Save/state files created/loaded with this version work fine.
Patch support is for SD/USB/SMB only. Name the patch file the same as the ROM name (except the extension) and place it in your ROM folder.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Visual_Boy_Advance_GX#1.0.4_-_October_28.2C_2008

Notes from TunaLover
.sgm files are the emulator generated saves
.sav files are the game generated saves

in case you having problems with it.

rocK`

Banned
TunaLover said:

Improvements
-SD/USB hot-swapping!
-SDHC support
-Zoom setting saved

I'd be jealous of you if I didn't play it religiously in my bed with my PSP before I sleep ;)

The Hermit

TunaLover said:

Improvements
-SD/USB hot-swapping!
-SDHC support
-Zoom setting saved

Notes from the Developer
-Speed could still use some improvement. If anyone can make the code more efficient, knows PPC assembly, or can make it faster in any way, let me know.

-Using Save or state files from older versions may cause this version to CRASH or other strange side effects (no sound)! If you're having problems, delete your old save/state file, and/or turn off auto-load. Save/state files created/loaded with this version work fine.
Patch support is for SD/USB/SMB only. Name the patch file the same as the ROM name (except the extension) and place it in your ROM folder.

Welp, I just finished Mother 3 using 1.0.3... unless I replay it, I probably won´t use it ever again :/

TunaLover

yep, big step, the new version corrects some graphical glitches too, (Alone in the Dark). The new sound core works like a dream :D

Top Bottom