• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

Shin-Ra

Riichi Ippatsu!

35876128786_8a9a0bc64b_o.png
35076805744_25913ddf2c_o.png

Had a very productive Mahjong session last night.

What even is this game?
Saejima in Y5 literally rips up stop signs and poles and beats the shit out of people with them.

Akiyama can kick people in the air and do some straight up anime shit by staying in the air and kicking them like 10 times before knocking them back down.

This series is absolutely insane.

Roussow

Welp, 57 hours later, there it is, my first Yakuza experience. Helluva good time. I haven't felt this excited to really dive into a series I passed over since I went through all of Metal Gear leading up to V, and Yakuza's future looks far, far brighter.

Now I'm left with the question of where to go next. I guess I'll wait till the end of August and ay Kiwami, I've learned a few things through osmosis on the series, stuff like
Nishikiyama turns into a not so great dude, kills Reina? Kiryu takes the fall and goes to prison? Surrogate daughter? Return to the orphanage? Taxis!?
wierd stray pieces of info I've accumulated, obviously I still need to play a lot of these games to really see this story.

Here's my conundrum though. I get through Kiwami, then what?
So I've got 4 on PS3 through PS+ at some point, and 5 is easily bought on the PS3 PSN. That's checked off, I don't think I can play 2 in anyway, and 3 is a PS3 game? But likely not downloadable. Are these games generally self contained enough that I could just do Kiwami, 4, 5, then eventually 6? (perhaps even skipping 5? Depending on how it's going). I looked at a couple of old Gametrailer reviews for the PS3 entries, and I'll tell you what, 4 looked fucking rad. Plus I'm probably not going to commit as much time to side content in these older entries, I'll likely just stick to the story, should avoid burnout.

Yakuza:Zero -> Yakuza: Kiwami -> Yakuza 3 (if at all possible but not necessary) -> Yakuza 4 (necessary to enjoy 5) -> Yakuza 5 -> Yakuza 6 -> ???

Yakuza 2 is the best game in the series, lucebuce12. And perfect to play after kiwami. (pc with a ps2 emulator will make look like the HD japanese version or better)

Boogie9IGN

Finally bit the bullet and bought a PS4 and Yakuza 0 yesterday. Spent the whole day playing today and all I can say is I've missed Yakuza so so so much. Just got to chapter 3 after doing mostly sidequests today. Can't wait for Kiwami and 6...

and a remake of 2 and some goddamn localized editions of Kenzan/Ishin

xrnzaaas

I'm actually surprised that only 49% of the players got it!

I think that's a pretty high percentage for a non-mandatory activity. You'd be surprised how many people drop games after playing the first few chapters. Yakuza is actually more like MGS games. It's bought mostly by the fans of the series so the percentages are higher. Like for instance 24% of the owners have actually finished the game and from what I understand it's not that short.

I didn't have a lot of free time in the last few days so I've only managed to finish chapter 2 and some side encounters (and do same disco dancing ;)). The start to chapter 3 is BAD-ASS.

Yakuza 2 is the best game in the series, lucebuce12. And perfect to play after kiwami. (pc with a ps2 emulator will make look like the HD japanese version or better)
I know bro.

But I'm assuming he's not gonna be able to get his hands on a copy since he hasn't even gotten his hands on Yakuza 3. Yakuza 2 is even rarer.

Plus maybe he doesn't have a PC that can emulate it.

If you can though then play that after Kiwami.

I wonder what will be our traditional Yakuza announcement come PSX. Maybe an Ishin localization?

IF a new Yakuza game is far enough along and revealed around TGS in Japan I can see it getting a PSX announcement of some kind. But an Ishin announcement... that'd certainly be huge (especially for me, I bloody love that game). Unless they forego Yakuza this year and do a Shenmue 1/2 HD reveal instead (I can dream can't I?)

kevin1025

Banned
Well... download the .iso file?

???

Just guessing, haha. I want them to announce Yakuza 2 as a PS2 to PS4 game so then all of the titles are easily accessible on PS3 and PS4.

I wonder what will be our traditional Yakuza announcement come PSX. Maybe an Ishin localization?

Ishin would be fantastic! Plus a date for 6, though I'm guessing it'll be January like 0 was.

IF a new Yakuza game is far enough along and revealed around TGS in Japan I can see it getting a PSX announcement of some kind. But an Ishin announcement... that'd certainly be huge (especially for me, I bloody love that game). Unless they forego Yakuza this year and do a Shenmue 1/2 HD reveal instead (I can dream can't I?)

Hopefully Gio Corsi just blows the lid off the Building the List hashtag this time around. It was really cool last year.

Just guessing, haha. I want them to announce Yakuza 2 as a PS2 to PS4 game so then all of the titles are easily accessible on PS3 and PS4.

Ishin would be fantastic! Plus a date for 6, though I'm guessing it'll be January like 0 was.

Hopefully Gio Corsi just blows the lid off the Building the List hashtag this time around. It was really cool last year.

Yeah, I loved the Building the List stuff for the last couple of years, mainly for the Yakuza stuff (5's translation announcement was a wonderful surprise) so its definitely the bit I'm most looking forward to this year though.

I'm sorta ambivalent to a PS2 port of 2 though, not sure if it takes that much effort to do the port, but I'd rather 2 get remastered and 3-5 get remastered so the entire series is on the PS4 (and PC) with better resolution, textures and frame rate (oh, and put the cut content back into 3!). I'd just love to have one box where I could play the games in their best form.

i would love that
Tell me about it. I loved playing Ishin with a guide, so I can only imagine how fun it would be to play the entire thing in English.
That's the dream, Shadow. If we can get to the point of getting a Yakuza localization announcement, just months after the Japanese reveal, then we wouldn't have a singe thing to worry about anymore.

Btw, I also would love to get a Shenmue 1/2 HD collection.

ike_

Whew, yeah I finished it tonight and man holy crap. The most surprising thing might be that the intensity of the cutscenes never got stale. Even when I was feeling extra shitty/apathetic this game still managed to draw me in right away every time.

And I'll say I really liked that the ending credits
had a quick "where are they now?" section giving a brief summary of where the characters go from here. Being my first Yakuza game, this whole time I've been guessing at which characters are main players in later games and how. So this helped calm me down a little bit. A little bit. Not at all.

From earlier in this thread it sounds like Kiwami might be the next best step, so I'm blindly going there.

El-Suave

Any tips on how to beat media king at Disco, I'm doing easy but still can't manage.

You don't have to, it sets you back a little but it's nothing you can't come back from with investing a little more time in collecting money. I wish I were better at the disco game, it's fun and usually I'm OK at rhythm games but I suck at this one, so I lost, too.

Shin-Ra

I beat Legend difficulty for the platinum earlier this week, speeding through with little more than the chapter-end bonus money. Had some very hairy moments in the last chapter because I only had the free patch DLC armours/accessories equipped and multiple shooters are hard to dodge and kill a good 50%+ health. Partial movesets against bosses doesn't help either.

It's probably worth beating Mr. Shakedown a few times and searching for better equipment, buying a few extra sacrifice stones.

LAM09

That would be the ideal scenario. The smaller the gap is, the better.

I just have a hunch that the next title will be a Yakuza 2 remake and possibly an announcement about porting the PS3 entries to PC.

Hey all,

Yakuza has always intrigued me ever since first playing the demo for the first game on ps2. For whatever reason though, I never got a chance to play the actual game or the series.

That changes this wed when my copy of 0 comes in.

I've heard nothing but great things, and I'm looking fwd to dig into a meaty single player game. Especially after getting sucked into several online mp focused ones.

Any general tips, pointers I should be aware of? If I focus mainly on the story with the occasional side quest distracting me, how many hours am I looking at?

Any general tips, pointers I should be aware of? If I focus mainly on the story with the occasional side quest distracting me, how many hours am I looking at?
  • Remember that there is no autosave. You have to save at a phone in your home base, or on the streets.
  • Just play at your own pace. The game is fairly slow but starts to open up by chapter 2 so you can just follow the main story, or do substories at your own pace it's up to you.
  • Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.
  • The game allows you to finish every single side activity before the ending of the game, as well as AFTER finishing the story so don't worry about that.
And finally:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.

YES. I've been compulsively running around the damn maps everytime after a cutscene/ new chapter in fear of missing something. This game is damn charming but this is doing my head in and I am afraid it's gonna burn me out.

YES. I've been compulsively running around the damn maps everytime after a cutscene/ new chapter in fear of missing something. This game is damn charming but this is doing my head in and I am afraid it's gonna burn me out.

I wouldn't worry too much about sub-stories. None of them are missable so you can find and finish them whenever you want. (even after beating the main story)

If you wanna know, with Majima you can get that sub-story finder from (sub-story spoiler)
finishing the friendship quest with the restaurant that is behind his apartment.

Shin-Ra

Not counting spin-off games, I think Yakuza 3 was the first without missable Substories and Yakuza 0's the first without a possible fail state for Substory results.

Just finished the chapter with
Majima with him raising his knife on the blind lady.

Seriously, this is my first Yakuza game and the story is absolutely exceptional. Haven't played a game where the main draw for me was the story in a while.

Finally picked this up this week and Ive gotten to the part where
The creepy real estate guy contacts you after whoopin Kuze's ass.

So far, the game is OK. I havent found it to be particularly gripping yet but I got a few good yucks out of the Karaoke part. Does the game pick up more from here? So far this "Empty Lot" business is kinda boring me.

Tamanon

Banned
Finally picked this up this week and Ive gotten to the part where
The creepy real estate guy contacts you after whoopin Kuze's ass.

So far, the game is OK. I havent found it to be particularly gripping yet but I got a few good yucks out of the Karaoke part. Does the game pick up more from here? So far this "Empty Lot" business is kinda boring me.

You're just in the tone setting stage. Once a few more characters enter the picture, the story picks up.

That would be the ideal scenario. The smaller the gap is, the better.

I just have a hunch that the next title will be a Yakuza 2 remake and possibly an announcement about porting the PS3 entries to PC.

The PS3 entries would no doubt hit the PS4 as well, can't see the team not porting them to the current Sony console just for convenience of having access to all the entries of the series on one console (and improve them while they are at it).

I'm still in two minds over whether we'll get a remake of 2 next or something new. At least we don't have that long to wait now!

Anyway, made a little progress with Yakuza 0 yesterday, but mainly just spent time playing Mahjong.

A question for those who've 100%ed the game (as my memory is hazy on this part) - if your doing Mahjong, win a load of money on it to add to the completion goal - accumulate 10,000,000 Yen, if you then lose a few matches in Mahjong, losing money does that detract from the overall completion of the 10 Mil goal or not?

Shin-Ra

Losing in gambling doesn't slow or reverse your Completion List progress. Next time you win it goes up the exact amount earned.

Losing in gambling doesn't slow or reverse your Completion List progress. Next time you win it goes up the exact amount earned.

Ace, thanks. Not sure why I thought it did. I might be thinking of the Haruka's trust side stuff in Kiwami - where doing the gambling missions she gives you are a pain because of this - if you lose a ton of money in the same session as when you win a ton of money, you don't complete the challenge because the game subtracts the amount lost from the amount you won... it basically means a lot of saving and reloading while attempting Roulette and Poker especially!

LAM09

The PS3 entries would no doubt hit the PS4 as well, can't see the team not porting them to the current Sony console just for convenience of having access to all the entries of the series on one console (and improve them while they are at it).

I'm still in two minds over whether we'll get a remake of 2 next or something new. At least we don't have that long to wait now!

I'm honestly surprised they aren't on PS Now at the very least. Great way for many to access them who don't have a PS3 in the meantime.

• Remember that there is no autosave. You have to save at a phone in your home base, or on the streets.
  • Just play at your own pace. The game is fairly slow but starts to open up by chapter 2 so you can just follow the main story, or do substories at your own pace it's up to you.
  • Substories aren't marked on the main map, but you CAN obtain an item later on for both characters that reveals the start location for them.
  • The game allows you to finish every single side activity before the ending of the game, as well as AFTER finishing the story so don't worry about that.

• Damn no autosave is def good to know. Good stuff all around, thanks!

I'm honestly surprised they aren't on PS Now at the very least. Great way for many to access them who don't have a PS3 in the meantime.

Definitely seems like something that would be smart. Hopefully it can be done in the future especially if remasters/remakes never happen.

Meanwhile, played more Mahjong. Hard difficulty actually doesn't seem as unfair as I expected it to be - doesn't really feel like a great step up difficulty wise compared to easy/medium difficulties but the payout is way better. I somehow managed to walk away with 5,000,000 Yen from a pretty bad performance where I gave away the wrong tiles, keeping useless tiles etc. but still got a winning hand. I'm now thinking I have some insane luck with the mini game. I'm around 75% done with the mini game and I've not even finished chapter 2 yet. I just need a bit more cash from my Mahjong winnings and a straight hand and I'm done!

Anyone has a EU save game to share? I replaced my ps4 with a new one and ps+ autoupload didn't work.

I reached the chapter with Majima and the naked dancing guy, if someone has a save near that chapter I would appreciate it.

Top Bottom