• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: GFK Market Research Survey about Nintendo NX leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haunted

dead on arrival

mgC6lS2.jpg
beer pipe?

sold.

evanmisha

Anyone expecting Nintendo's next handheld to feature a 900p display is living in a dream world

The 3DS is 240p. Come on now.

thuway

If Nintendo is going for an x86 architecture and third party developers this could be the stupidest move they could make. They've essentially planted themselves three years later into this generation as a middle of the road box between PS4 and Xbox One.The only way this hardware could be appealing is to see the "handheld" portion of the NX. That thing better be as revolutionary as the DS because right now it sounds like a console and a handheld that can play really downgraded ports.

Damn Nintendo- what the hell. PS4 and Xbox One will have sold 80+ million units by the time this thing launches AND PS4 will still be more powerful. Than again, I still don't believe this is whole rumor bit of 900p is true.

btrboyev

This is fake as shit, but I'll play devils advocate.

If every game was 900p and 60fps, it would crush ps4 and xb1 as far as technical ability goes.

It's a ridiculous anyway.

Nzyme32

Wow, this explains... nothing? What's an NX handheld? Is it in the box? Or is it a separate product? Both run the same games or games need to be bought separately?

This is fake.

It is not "fake", as in it is legit that Nintendo are a client of GFK and are having them carry out market research, the above of which is a survey for that purpose

The information on specs may or may not be accurate, specifically to test responses of different people - ie market research for which GFK will provide results to Nintendo so they can make more informed business decisions

spekkeh

Banned
No way they would say 900p for gameplay graphics in a survey

Why not, it's a survey, could just be one of many hypotheticals. "How would you react to this setup, where the majority of games are at 900p". "Would it interest you if it could play 4K?".

Surveys don't necessarily mean anything.

Sharing defeats sounds interesting though.

iMax

The biggest red flag here for me is the name. NX. Have they ever shipped a console under its codename before?

Orayn

Could see 900p60 being the baseline if the NX console shares all of its specs with the handheld, not just the same architecture. A Vita TV right out of the gate, basically.

That would also facilitate a low price point, potentially very low.

I can only have fun with one thousand and eighty vertical lines of resolution. There are simply not enough vertical lines of resolution for fun to fit on the screen. omg plxz

foxbeldin

I dunno if the 900p thing is real, but after months (years) of resolutiongate on xb1/ps4 (seems to have calmed down now), i can't believe they're going for this.

Turrican3

I also find a bit suspicious that Nintendo might want to enphasise 4K display, yet have a locked (?) 900p/60fps for games.

I call bs.

iMax

If Nintendo is going for an x86 architecture and third party developers this could be the stupidest move they could make. They've essentially planted themselves three years later into this generation as a middle of the road box between PS4 and Xbox One.The only way this hardware could be appealing is to see the "handheld" portion of the NX. That thing better be as revolutionary as the DS because right now it sounds like a console and a handheld that can play really downgraded ports.

Damn Nintendo- what the hell. PS4 and Xbox One will have sold 80+ million units by the time this thing launches AND PS4 will still be more powerful. Than again, I still don't believe this is whole rumor bit of 900p is true.

Are you basing all of this on the "900p" line? You know there are PS4 games that run at 900p, right?

Even setting aside the oddity of the resolution stuff and whatever that means (Nintendo has released 1080p Wii U games so it's not as if there's some mandate there), I... actually don't see the problem with the sensor bar that has people freaking out. It's a cheap piece of plastic and wire with a couple of LEDs like from a cheapo remote control. It probably costs Nintendo like 30 cents to make and they enable backwards compatibility with all the wiimotes out there just in case.

ViciousDS

Banned
A sensor bar? Does this mean Wii controllers and possibly a Wii U gamepad will be supported?

Wii U gamepad doesn't require sensor bar afaik. I play splatoon and other games without it hooked up when I move form house to house. Its for the Wii VC

McHuj

Is this supposed to imply something about the handheld resolution?

The handheld maybe tied to a specific resolution/frame rate.

Chris1

900p/60fps is a weird spec to list, wouldn't that be dependent on the developer?
So... Nintendo? Not like they're going to get third party support no matter what they do anyways lol.

Anyways I don't care about the resolution stuff, I just hope it's a more traditional console and has BC with WiiU, then I might get one. Also needs to be cheap, WiiU's costing more then a PS4/XB1 is a joke.

georly

Uhhh. Ok.

I'll wait for more info before believing this. Only reason to list 900p is if that's the handheld screen resolution or if the titles specified on line 1 all run at that resolution for some weird reason. Either way, i'd take 60fps over 1080p any day of the week.

Also, how great/nintendo would it be if the console and handheld were called the 'console' and the 'handheld device' respectively, as official names?

"Nintendo HD" = handheld device

thuway

Are you basing all of this on the "900p" line? You know there are PS4 games that run at 900p, right?

PS4 has plenty of 900p games (Battlefield, Watch_Dogs, etc.) but it also has its fair share of 1080p 60 FPS titles too (MGS V, COD). Sony marketed the PS4 as a 1080p/60FPS box. I'm just alarmed that they are actively SURVERYING people about 900p/60FPS when resolution gate hit hard.

-Horizon-

900p seems like such a weird resolution to aim for. Especially when they have stuff like Smash U that is native 1080p.

Unless of course the NX is literally Nintendo x Xbox then yeah, that makes absolute sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom