• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 4 Screenshots (Grunt new design revealed)

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The books have carefully crafted stories and origins for every species.if not refered as covies then better call each by name.
As far as covenants are concerned the religious zealots we ll fight in Halo 4 still believe in a great journey of sort, a destinity left to them by the forerunners, yet they don t want to get wiped in a glorious Halo flash.
Dax is right in saying it is the elite zealots who organise this group, so any species else is just following their orders for whatever reasons.
There will probably be a name given to this marticulat group.
I can t remember the name of the cult these elites follow.

And the remaining prophets have fled and are hiding. What could they be doing? They have great expertise and have many ungaroks with them

It will be great to see all these threads from the novels of all these factions (and the new enemy faction that will be presented) come into one giant climax battle in the final part of this new trilogy with a race for being in control of the universe (whether to destroy, conquer or save all life) and see it all around you. What really makes me pump me in excitement with that is knowing that title will be on the next generation of platforms and I do hope with any big space ship/combat show down they will get Eric to assist on some of the finest combat set pieces ever (he's a master craft at this field with his talented war tactic writing). That will be so good <3

I do wonder if the Spirit of fire will make an appearance as well? There's certainly room for them to come back after the events of Halo Wars.

Play Halo 2 and 3. If you don't have the time, just watch some cut-scenes on youtube or halowaypoint. I've only read Fall of Reach (have all the other novels but haven't read them yet) and I don't have trouble following where the games are going story wise.

I wouldn't point that out if I had gained an idea what they mean by the term by playing the games and reading along with the novel stuff.

There is nothing to indicate from Halo 1,2,3 that Cortana is about to go on a bloody rampage or something. Sure, by some retconned sense of "being implied" (I have questions. shoot), but Halo 3 just had her as the damsel in distress, which makes it very hard to "imply" that she's about to go a cyborg-assisted rampage or something.

The 'rampancy' idea is something from the extended universe, or even the terminals from Halo 3 Legendary (the original Bias construct), but the actual cutscenes do not play up this idea as being "in play".

Sure, you could just explain it in a 'previously on' type vid, like Gears 3 did for the novels between 2 and 3, but those were simple events (this happened, that happened, oh and now we're living on a boat, hurray), not an abstract concept that has no meaningful way of communicating its presence without turning her into GlaDOS or SHODAN for no apparent reason.

we'll see how this plays out and all, but I just think it's a weird plotpoint to market the game with to people who only play the games.
(obviously the current marketing effort is not aimed at this group, but still)

They have two games to lay the ground work for rampancy.
Make it seem to come out of nowhere for the game only fans but have a few points leading back to the novels for the more entrenched fans.

It's a easy concept to get over with the 'AI aren't supposed to be operational for this long.'

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Cortana in Halo 4 is by far the best. Can't wait to see her animated, in cut scenes with voice acting. Gonna be sick.

This shot seriously gives me a metroid vibe with the subtle atmoshphere.

halo4_360_editeur_0084jj27.jpg

AWESOME

I haven't been this hyped for Halo since before 3.
Can't wait.

feel

^ that screen has me so hyped :)

Cortana in Halo 4 is by far the best. Can't wait to see her animated, in cut scenes with voice acting. Gonna be sick.
Completely agree. First Cortana change I've ever been pleased with. I too can't wait to see it along with the beautiful voice.

Petrichor

This shot seriously gives me a metroid vibe with the subtle atmoshphere.

AWESOME

I haven't been this hyped for Halo since before 3.
Can't wait.

Yep. I'm certainly more hyped for this than I remember being for reach.

The new HUD really does look amazing with all the little details

I wouldn't point that out if I had gained an idea what they mean by the term by playing the games and reading along with the novel stuff.

There is nothing to indicate from Halo 1,2,3 that Cortana is about to go on a bloody rampage or something. Sure, by some retconned sense of "being implied" (I have questions. shoot), but Halo 3 just had her as the damsel in distress, which makes it very hard to "imply" that she's about to go a cyborg-assisted rampage or something.

The 'rampancy' idea is something from the extended universe, or even the terminals from Halo 3 Legendary (the original Bias construct), but the actual cutscenes do not play up this idea as being "in play".

Sure, you could just explain it in a 'previously on' type vid, like Gears 3 did for the novels between 2 and 3, but those were simple events (this happened, that happened, oh and now we're living on a boat, hurray), not an abstract concept that has no meaningful way of communicating its presence without turning her into GlaDOS or SHODAN for no apparent reason.

we'll see how this plays out and all, but I just think it's a weird plotpoint to market the game with to people who only play the games.
(obviously the current marketing effort is not aimed at this group, but still)
I think Halo 3 has set it up fine. She was never really just a "damsel in distress" - there was something seriously wrong with her, and by the end of the game it remains unresolved. Halo 3's messy storytelling does lend to the idea of rampancy.

fnmore1

this looks pretty meh. They went from creating something that looked original to making it look like an unreal clone. I mean, why get rid off all the elites under-armor, and why keep the methane tank but get rid of the breathing apparatus. These character designs look like they belong in gears of war not halo.

Did you miss the picture where the grunt was actually wearing a mask?

And to me, the one without the mask looks like it was shot off because if you look closely above the mouth area there's still some pieces where a mask would be.

Flipyap

I think Halo 3 has set it up fine. She was never really just a "damsel in distress" - there was something seriously wrong with her, and by the end of the game it remains unresolved. Halo 3's messy storytelling does lend to the idea of rampancy.
She was the definition of a damsel in distress. She was even locked in a cage, for Christ's sake!
She was such an useless character, she might as well have been a prop. Sending a message in a bottle that basically amounted to "please save me" was her entire contribution to the plot, prior to being rescued. Even after the rescue, her involvement only expanded to handing over a MacGuffin.

zlatko

Banned
In the renders where their mouth is exposed. I see that tube to their nose, but their mouth is still taking in whatever is in the atmosphere.

Maybe they breathe in and out of their noses, and whatever comes in from their mouths, the machine handles and produces methane for them.

Do we really need to question this that badly? Tube in nose, tube lets them breathe. Leave it at that people.

In the renders where their mouth is exposed. I see that tube to their nose, but their mouth is still taking in whatever is in the atmosphere.

I don't think other atmospheres such as an oxygenated one is dangerous to them, they just need a constant supply of methane, which they receive through that tube.

That's actually a worse argument for not having breathers covering the mouth. :p
To be honest I do not know the anatomy of a Grunt. I do not know how they work. What you are trying to say is that they work like Humans do. But do they? They do not need oxygen like us, they need methane. etc.

Overdoziz

Banned
She was the definition of a damsel in distress. She was even locked in a cage, for Christ's sake!
She was such an useless character, she might as well have been a prop. Sending a message in a bottle that basically amounted to "please save me" was her entire contribution to the plot, prior to being rescued. Even after the rescue, her involvement only expanded to handing over a MacGuffin.
Actually that "message in a bottle" was a way to lure the Gravemind and the Flood through the portal so it would be easier to destroy it. So there, she does contribute something, in a big yet subtle way. :)

To be honest I do not know the anatomy of a Grunt. I do not know how they work. What you are trying to say is that they work like Humans do. But do they? They do not need oxygen like us, they need methane. etc.
They're still carbon-based lifeforms, no? So no matter how cold it gets on their homeworld, it's still far warmer than the vacuum of space. Maybe the Covenant (or the MC) manages to get life support back online, I dunno.
There's no citation to that.

They're still carbon-based lifeforms, no? So no matter how cold it gets on their homeworld, it's still far warmer than the vacuum of space.

Damn those wikis and their lack of citations!

In all honesty though, looking over the sources, it's most likely part of a passage from one of the books.

Maybe it's just me, but, it looks like she has some really broad/swimmer shoulders in this picture, doesn't it? And, yeah, can't wait to see her animated (the data stream effects).

Would also be fun to see how her Halo 1 version would look using the current engine, updating poly count/resolution/textures/etc.

They're still carbon-based lifeforms, no? So no matter how cold it gets on their homeworld, it's still far warmer than the vacuum of space. Maybe the Covenant (or the MC) manages to get life support back online, I dunno.

If I'm not wrong, you only loose heat through radiation in a vacuum and it's a slow process. So if they have something to breath it woudn't be insta-death.

Reclaimer

Do we really need to question this that badly? Tube in nose, tube lets them breathe. Leave it at that people.

I'm a fan of the established lore from a handful of games and books, and Im interested to know if there is a reason 343 is straying from it a bit (or possibly breaking it). Grunts wear masks to breathe methane when in an earth-like atmosphere. I just want to know what's up with the new looking grunts, isn't that what part of this thread is about, the new character shots?

I'm just curious, maybe you should just "leave it at that".

Also, food nipple.

Top Bottom