• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Vue axing Viacom networks on Nov 11th, adding BBCA, VICE, and more

jwk94

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016...onal-lineup-change-coming-to-playstation-vue/

We have some new updates about PlayStation Vue to share with you today. First, we’re happy to announce the addition of new channels to PlayStation Vue, including BBC America and NBA TV launching tomorrow, as well as VICE and more local broadcast stations from CBS and Fox coming soon.

Additionally, starting at 12:01am Eastern Time on November 11, all Viacom-owned networks will no longer be available on PlayStation Vue. This includes channels such as Comedy Central, Spike, and MTV. At PlayStation, we always strive to provide the best value and service for our fans. As part of our ongoing evaluation of the PlayStation Vue offering, we have determined that removing the bundle of channels from Viacom is the best way for us to continue to offer the most compelling value to our fans.

For reference, here are Viacom's channels:

Also Nick stuff as well probably.

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Well that was short-lived. Guess it's time to cancel my sub then.

McDougles

Even two years ago, axing Comedy Central would be a death sentence. Now, with the state of programming and late-night options, I wonder if the blow is that bad.

I hate PR talk like that. Just tell us the reason they are being removed.

Why won't Sony burn bridges for me?

None of these losses bother me, but my wife is gonna be mad about MTV.. No more Teen Mom for her.
Thank gawd.

That sucks but Viacom probably wanted too much money for Sony to find it worth it, see this stuff all the time on regular cable/satellite.

Maybe because I grew up in a Brighthouse household, but Viacom is always threatening to remove their programming during contract negotiations because they demand more money.

Wereroku

That sucks but Viacom probably wanted too much money for Sony to find it worth it, see this stuff all the time on regular cable/satellite.

It's been more successful then they projected so I wonder if they hit a subscriber point that changed the prices on Viacom earlier then they expected. Also Viacom is known to play hardball with companies and Sony is running on smaller margins to keep the costs down.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Maybe because I grew up in a Brighthouse household, but Viacom is always threatening to remove their programming during contract negotiations because they demand more money.

to be correct... it's the cable company that threatens to remove.. then you usually have a banner that runs on the station saying "this channel will go off the air at midnight. Call MTV to tell them you want this on VUE"

and then, during commercial breaks, you get commercials for MTV saying "call VUE and tell them you want MTV"

Da fuck? And I bet I can't get a partial month refund. Knew this was too good to be true.

as long as station packages are a thing from these media companies, this will ALWAYS be the case. At the very least for Fox and Viacom. I can't recall Time Warner and Disney ever in carriage negotiations shennanigans. But yeah, viacom and Fox are always in this negotiation threaten-to-pull situation every couple of years per provider.

I would have hated to lose Jon Stewart's Daily Show...but now that it's Trevor Noah, and considering I just don't find much of anything worth watching on Comedy Central lately, I really don't mind losing it.

MTV, who cares. It hasn't been relevant in at least two decades as far as I'm concerned.

Wereroku

MTV and Comedy Central?

Doesn't bother me.

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

I mostly watched The Splat on TeenNick. Frankly I don't know if it's worth it now. They are adding Vice, but what about History?

If my region isn't part of the new CBS and Fox local channels I'll definitely cancel. If I do get them, depending on what tier BBCA is I'll probably downgrade from Elite.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
None of these losses bother me, but my wife is gonna be mad about MTV.. No more Teen Mom for her.
Thank gawd.
FWIW, if you have access to Viacoms cable iOS/android apps you can view their channels for free right now.

The xfinity login is and has broken for a while, when selecting it you don't have to prove you have a Comcast sub. It'll let you in with a free MTV, twitter, or facebook account. I know it works with MTV, VH1, and Logo apps so I assume any other Viacom cable channel also applies.

Sounds like Viacom was asking for too much money.
Most likely, these corps don't like when others have successful business models. Look at Netflix a few years back when a bunch or publishers removed their content cause they wanted more money. Or when starz wanted Netflix to create tiers to their streaming and screw their customer base over.

nelchaar

Comedy Central is a big loss, but I'm basically just using it to watch soccer. As long as BeIN, NBC sports and Fox are unaffected I'm happy!

I would be peeved because I mainly watch MTV2 for the 90s sitcoms.

But I have both Martin and the Fresh Prince via VUDU and Google Play so I'm good, plus a Different World is on Netflix.

muteki

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Fuck.

"We're losing like 25 stations but it is okay look at these new 3...."

From wikipedia:
MTV
MTV2
MTV Live
MTV Classic
MTVU
VH1
Logo TV
Comedy Central
Spike
Nickelodeon
Nick at Nite
Nick Jr.
TeenNick
Nicktoons
NickMusic
TV Land
CMT
CMT Music
CMT (Canada) (10%)
BET
BET Hip-Hop
BET Gospel
BET Jams
BET Soul
Centric

Man.... I forgot all of those were Viacom as well. The wife is going to be pissed. Might have to look at new options.

Jeels

Woah, Comedy Central is a huge loss, don't know if I can deal with that.

Happy about Vice and BBC though.

Edit: Wait...I forgot Nick, BET, VH1 etc were all Viacom too....How can they justify losing what looks like half of their channels?

mreddie

There's never gonna be a actual cheaper alternative to cable/Sat TV now.

You're gonna be missing channels or your favorite show isn't on this platform.

A la carte packages is gonna be a issue with these networks wanting cash.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
My local cable station dropped CC/Spike/MTV years ago. Kinda crazy how badly they price themselves out of existence, though I guess the digital consumption makes up for it, I guess?

My local cable station dropped CC/Spike/MTV years ago. Kinda crazy how badly they price themselves out of existence, though I guess the digital consumption makes up for it, I guess?

Viacom sucks period, I imagine most of the carriers don't like negotiating with them.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
FUCKING HELL.

The only Viacom channel I watch is Comedy Central, but it probably comprises about 1/4 of my, er, Vueing.

It's not enough for me to cancel, or switch to Sling because it's terrible, but this sucks.

enewtabie

Nick Jr.. No Peppa pig for my daughter? I guess I can't sign up now. We were converting over this month to Vue, but no way now.

SpecX

What the hell, every year or so I hear of some dispute with a provider and Viacom. I'm sure Sony decided to drop them than absorb or pass along the cost to the subscribers.

Jeels

Fuck.

"We're losing like 25 stations but it is okay look at these new 3...."

What does this even bring the number of stations in the 30 dollar package down to? There better be a price decrease or something because it has to be about half the channels I have.

FUCKING HELL.

The only Viacom channel I watch is Comedy Central, but it probably comprises about 1/4 of my, er, Vueing.

It's not enough for me to cancel, or switch to Sling because it's terrible, but this sucks.

I actually might go back to Sling. They still offer the Viacom channels. Going to do a trial and see if they've improved.

Top Bottom