• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG’s Winter Sale has started

Head over to gog for some great deals

Currently the free game is Grim Fandango!

Let us know what game you get if you buy any of the “stars”

What else you going to pick up?

Im thinking cuphead, since i dont have an xbox

Airola

Let us know what game you get if you buy any of the “stars”

Originally I thought I'd only have the classic 80's and 90's games on the library (or, if newer ones, they should be new point & click adventures if anything).
Some years ago I made a mistake and bought a "surprise game" which was Inquisitor. And then another game which was Divine Divinity.

I thought the library was ruined, but I thought I will never buy any surprise games to ruin the library even further.

Well. Fast forward to this week.

Obviously I had to buy a "star", which gave me Star Wolves.
At least the picture of it looked good but I hated that I now had it in the library.
And as I did not learn anything from it, I bought another star the next day which gave me Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

My classic digital 80's-90's game library is forever ruined and will be ruined more because I'm a sucker for these "pay a little and get a surprise game" things :p

Nikodemos

Originally I thought I'd only have the classic 80's and 90's games on the library (or, if newer ones, they should be new point & click adventures if anything).
Some years ago I made a mistake and bought a "surprise game" which was Inquisitor. And then another game which was Divine Divinity.

I thought the library was ruined, but I thought I will never buy any surprise games to ruin the library even further.

Well. Fast forward to this week.

Obviously I had to buy a "star", which gave me Star Wolves.
At least the picture of it looked good but I hated that I now had it in the library.
And as I did not learn anything from it, I bought another star the next day which gave me Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord.

My classic digital 80's-90's game library is forever ruined and will be ruined more because I'm a sucker for these "pay a little and get a surprise game" things :p
All of them are decent to good games. So no reason to be distraught.

Hey, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord is an absolute classic PC WW2 strategy game. It might not be for you but it's objectively a great title :). It looks graphically terrible now and is clunky as hell but beneath the hideous exterior is an absolute gem of a game. It's one of the few games that is always installed/carried over to my new hard drives whenever I upgrade my PC.

Back on topic: DRM free gaming ftw. Cheers for the heads-up OP, I might pick up a couple of games this weekend.

staen

So they're adding new games to the sale everyday. Is there an easy way to see which games are added each day?

I want cuphead, but 3 dollars off? Im not saying the game isnt worth it. But 3 bucks off isn't a great sale.

I feel like once the golden age of Steam sales ended, GOG sales also stopped being quite as good. I built up a large 500+ Steam library and 100+ GOG library between 2012-2015ish. Since like mid 2015 the sales have been mostly meh w/ only occasional game-by-game exceptions.

I feel like once the golden age of Steam sales ended, GOG sales also stopped being quite as good. I built up a large 500+ Steam library and 100+ GOG library between 2012-2015ish. Since like mid 2015 the sales have been mostly meh w/ only occasional game-by-game exceptions.

Well, I don't think prices on games on GOG are any worse, it's just that after you bought 100 vintage games you probably bought all you actually wanted.

Well, I don't think prices on games on GOG are any worse, it's just that after you bought 100 vintage games you probably bought all you actually wanted.

That occurred to me also and, yeah, that definitely plays a part. Lol Especially on vintage games as you noted. (When it comes to newer games, however, discounts during Steam sales are objectively worse than they used to be and Id say that translates across to prices during GOG sales as well. There's always the occasional exception tho).

Airola

Hey, Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord is an absolute classic PC WW2 strategy game. It might not be for you but it's objectively a great title :). It looks graphically terrible now and is clunky as hell but beneath the hideous exterior is an absolute gem of a game. It's one of the few games that is always installed/carried over to my new hard drives whenever I upgrade my PC.

Could be, but they are all just sticking out like sore thumbs in a collection I initially intended to be a personal retro heaven (and I don't count anything after 2000 retro yet).

Oh well, as long as there will be those "surprise game" sales I will probably fill that digital shelf with more of games I'm not interested in. Just as in Steam :p

By the way, the looks of the graphics in Combat Mission made me think that well at least it doesn't look pleasing in a modern sense so that's a plus :D

Top Bottom