• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apps for Android |OT|

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The S-pen for the Galaxy Note is pressure senstitive, i think. But tell me more about the tablets. any reviews?

Oh yeah, the Galaxy Note, that too.

I have the Lenovo one. It's a pretty solid tablet despite middling support from Lenovo. Thing is a bit thick and heavy though but it feels solid unlike other plastic tablets out there. The pen works pretty well, but definitely can't compare to the accuracy of a cintiq. Aside from that, it's your standard honeycomb tablet, though they have confirmed that it will get ICS around march/april. Don't except root for it anytime soon though, Lenovo built it for businesses so it's secured pretty well.

I've only picked up the Xoom 2/Xyboard and it's pretty nice. It's light and thin, and the rubber grips feel nice. Haven't used the stylus on it though, but I'm sure it's probably fine.

methane47

You just have to sign up for google music on your computer once. That's the only time google music will care about where you're from (aside from purchasing songs, which you can get a virtual visa for). After you have a google music account, you can use it whenever and wherever you want. I haven't tried to use currents so I don't know about that, there's an apk for it in the OP now though you may want to try. There's an apk for google music now too.

hmmm

MrBig

I've only picked up the Xoom 2/Xyboard and it's pretty nice. It's light and thin, and the rubber grips feel nice. Haven't used the stylus on it though, but I'm sure it's probably fine.

I've read that the Xoom2 does not use N-Trig tech and does not have a pressure senesitive pen.

I have a Thinkpad as well. The pen itself is good, but software support is lacking. Sketchbook Pro isn't super accurate with it, and PS Touch pressure support is just terrible.
Using quill for ink-like vector sketches is great with it. Painting is a little clumsy, but still good, in SB pro. I don't even open open PS Touch for drawing, but it has a much better UI than SB pro, and I'm sure will see plenty of support in the future as it was only released a couple months ago and the SDK in December

Divvy

I've read that the Xoom2 does not use N-Trig tech and does not have a pressure senesitive pen.

I have a Thinkpad as well. The pen itself is good, but software support is lacking. Sketchbook Pro isn't super accurate with it, and PS Touch pressure support is just terrible.
Using quill for ink-like vector sketches is great with it. Painting is a little clumsy, but still good, in SB pro. I don't even open open PS Touch for drawing, but it has a much better UI than SB pro, and I'm sure will see plenty of support in the future as it was only released a couple months ago and the SDK in December

Oh I've read that it does. Weird.

Zozz

Banned
Just when I thought that I had all the apps I needed, here you come and do this awesome guide! Thanks a million.

Toby

Entertainment & News
Aldiko Book Reader Free
Supports many different ebook formats and is an excellent application to organize your ebook library. Also allows convenient access to a variety of different book stores.

methane47

OK FOR the people having country restrictions!!

What i did was I signed up for A Free VPNReactor account.
I also signed up to it using a mailinator email address (No spam!!)

After that was done I still was not able to send the app to my android device... soo what I did is I first went to the task manager and stopped all the apps . I then went to the browser and Cleared everything (Cache, cookies, history and location data). After that was done i went to the accounts and removed my Google account from my account list (All done on the tablet)

I then did a reboot of my tablet. After that was done i went to the network settings and created the VPN connection and logged in. After I logged in I went straight to the market at which time i was prompted to logon to my google account. I did as instructed and LO AND BEHOLD!!!! I was presented with the US Android market!!!! With JUST enough time to go and download google currents and also signed up for spotify and downloaded the app as well.

:)

Anyways i now have a go to way to access content :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Well, the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet and the Xoom2/Xyboard have digitizers in them. The Lenovo one has a built in stylus and the Xoom2 has a compatible stylus you can buy separately. There isn't a pressure sensitive stylus that works for capacitive screen yet, though I read somewhere that one was in development.

Ah I see. I was hoping to hear about one that works with the transformer prime. Thanks for the info.

surly

Banned
An app that's basically transformed how I use my phone is S2E. It only works with rooted phones, but if you have an older handset with a very limited amount of internal memory, you'll find this useful.

What you do is partition your microSD card and create an ext partition on there. Once you've done that, download and run S2E and you can move any of the following items to the ext partition: -

Applications
Private apps
Application data
Dalvik cache
Download cache

The phone will effectively see the ext partition as its internal memory. After rooting my HTC Desire and doing a fresh install of CyanogenMod, I had 148 MB of internal memory left, but using this method I created a 2GB ext4 partition on the microSD card and massively increase the amount of space I had for apps. A decent class of microSD is recommended.

surly

Banned
Thanks OP! Damn, Swype is a f**king revelation. It is soo much faster than everything else.
I've been using it for ages, but the latest beta really is excellent. The voice recognition is the best I've ever used. Also, the new context based automatic word selection seems to work pretty well too. I could never go back to using a regular keyboard now, haha.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Since Miren browser is defunct, I switched to Maxthon and sweet jebus, its fantastic. Super fast, customizable gestures, smooth as anything and has a nice startup page with shortcuts. I like it better than Opera.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
So nice to have a thread for this now. Definitely subscribed and keeping an eye on new posts. Got probably five really helpful apps already thanks to this thread.

Also welcome any comments re effects on battery life or system resources. Basically I hate apps that are persistent unless they have a really good reason to be ahem facebook.

I couldn't stand the constant notification for llama and chose to purchase tasker instead when I upgraded to the Nexus. Now I need to find some sort of online tutorial for tasker. :(

Divvy

Heads up 4.01ers, Browser+ on the market is a modified version of the ICS browser, but it has some extra stuff. Most importantly (to me anyways) is the extra buttons on the quick controls making it match the honeycomb version.

9ICbz.jpg

kehs

Banned
I couldn't stand the constant notification for llama and chose to purchase tasker instead when I upgraded to the Nexus. Now I need to find some sort of online tutorial for tasker. :(

You can turn off the notification on llama. The complexity of tasker is a reason I skipped it. I know it's more powerful, but I got a headache trying to piece together a "play music on bluetooth connection".

gcubed

Cocktail Flow - great app for drink selections. App is free, most packs are free but some in app purchasing for their special sections.

Lose It! - FREE - Great for tracking what you eat and its free. Has a pretty big database of foods that fill in information just from scanning the barcodes (works even with store brand products)

Plex - $4.99 - Works in conjunction with plex media server on your PC/Mac to stream movies. Front end based on XBMC, also supports honeycomb and ICS

Tapatalk - $2.99 - forum browsing on compatible forums.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
What's a good Google Tasks app? I have GTasks but the widget is crap.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Thanks OP! Damn, Swype is a f**king revelation. It is soo much faster than everything else.
Swype is godly. At times my version gets out dated though and I have to manually delete it through a file manager to reinstall, that part sucks.

Fox318

Heads up 4.01ers, Browser+ on the market is a modified version of the ICS browser, but it has some extra stuff. Most importantly (to me anyways) is the extra buttons on the quick controls making it match the honeycomb version.

9ICbz.jpg

Awesome!!! I don't know why they didn't use this instead.

SimleuqiR

9ICbz.jpg

fuckyeah.jgp!!!

i believe the majority of that is in 4.0.3 so it should become moot at some point

"At some point" could be at the end of January. 30 days of better browsing is better than none. Google doesn't give a time line on their OTA updates, so who knows when we are going to get 4.0.3.

gcubed

fuckyeah.jgp!!!

"At some point" could be at the end of January. 30 days of better browsing is better than none. Google doesn't give a time line on their OTA updates, so who knows when we are going to get 4.0.3.

well yes, i am using it currently until 4.0.3 releases :)

Divvy

Lol that takes up half the screen

Yeah but it only shows up when you want to interact with it. That and activating it by swiping onto the screen make it the best way to navigate the web on a phone or tablet.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I like Any.do a lot. It looks really nice!

:eek:ooooooo

This is so beautiful, functional, and intuitive. More Android apps should be like this!!! I can't believe something like this exists!! Shocking, as an Android user of many years.

Add Any.do to the fucking OP!!!

Any.do Free
Best app on Android period.

Divvy

This is so beautiful, functional, and intuitive. More Android apps should be like this!!! I can't believe something like this exists!! Shocking, as an Android user of many years.

Any.do Free

Lol, it's already up there. It's beauty is kind of why it's first in the productivity section.

Any.do Free

It is already.

Bboy AJ

I ctrl f'd tasks and didn't see it. Figures. What other apps am I missing like this?

I am at a complete loss of words. Shocked something like it exists on Android.

reKon

Banned
Yeah but it only shows up when you want to interact with it. That and activating it by swiping onto the screen make it the best way to navigate the web on a phone or tablet.

Wait swiping? Is it still activated by thumb press on the edge of the screen?

Divvy

Wait swiping? Is it still activated by thumb press on the edge of the screen?

As far as I know it's always been activated by swiping from outside the screen onto the screen. Even in honeycomb.

I ctrl f'd tasks and didn't see it. Figures. What other apps am I missing like this?

I am at a complete loss of words. Shocked something like it exists on Android.

Haven't used it myself, but I hear Ubermusic is pretty awesome.

Epic Drop

Just wanted to say "thanks" for this thread. I'm a semi-new android phone owner, and I just bought an android tablet over the weekend. This is going to be super useful to me :)

reKon

Banned
Any.do doesn't show up in the widget section on ics 4.02. Also I tried to install swype, but it says that the screen size is not supported yet. Can't wait until this, hbo go, and nfl mobile get proper support. Im going to miss out on nfl mobile I bet. The update will probably come right after the superbowl

SimleuqiR

Any.do Free

Why is this free??

Takemymoney.jpg!!!

Divvy

I use gtasks to set task, but the data gets fed into Agenda Widget (along with calendar info, astrid tasks).

I couldn't find a disable option anywhere in the app and my google-fu only turned up other people complaining about the same thing. :(

Already committed to tasker now even though llama met all my needs.

Top Bottom