• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Betas 2017 |OT| Half Baked

Me, 5 seconds after seeing the new app store icon.

Eh, well I guess that's one way to change it.

2 minutes later.

God this icon somehow manages to look uglier the more I look at it. It does make me hungry for bread sticks though..

Me, 5 seconds after seeing the new app store icon.

Eh, well I guess that's one way to change it.

2 minutes later.

God this icon somehow manages to look uglier the more I look at it. It does make me hungry for bread sticks though..

It’s grown on me in the last week. I still prefer the original, but I don’t hate this one anymore.

It’s kinda cool that it looks the same no matter which way you turn it.

Anyone noticed changes with the new dev beta?

Nope. Spit and polish.

Although battery drain seems worse on my 7 Plus, but it’s too early to say if it’s real or imagined at this point.

SFenton

It’s grown on me in the last week. I still prefer the original, but I don’t hate this one anymore.

It’s kinda cool that it looks the same no matter which way you turn it.

Nope. Spit and polish.

Although battery drain seems worse on my 7 Plus, but it’s too early to say if it’s real or imagined at this point.

Drain feels worse to me too. On iOS 10 I would go to bed with 30% battery left. Now occasionally I need to plug in before the end of the day. Hope it gets better but I knew what I was getting into.

Gamespawn

Drain feels worse to me too. On iOS 10 I would go to bed with 30% battery left. Now occasionally I need to plug in before the end of the day. Hope it gets better but I knew what I was getting into.

Is this new PB6 more stable than 5? Asking bc on my 6s, there was this weird lag after closing an app and going to the home screen and once my display was unresponsive, necessitating a soft reset.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is this new PB6 more stable than 5? Asking bc on my 6s, there was this weird lag after closing an app and going to the home screen and once my display was unresponsive, necessitating a soft reset.
I had the unresponsive display thing in PB 4 two weeks ago. Never had it at all since or even in 5 at all. Never had it before that either.

In fact it's really the only real game breaker I had at all since I installed the first PB. (And of course was fixed with a shutdown which also taught me that the button combo changed with the 7) Other than a few usability bugs, like that broken app switcher in PB1, or some visual glitches, it's been pretty stable for me all along.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A really annoying bug with High Sierra that affected both my MacBook last week and my iMac today when I updated is it erased pretty much my entire "Login items" list on both machines so things that are supposed to start up no longer started up. It's taken me this long to remember everything that I used to have in there. Thing is it's inconsistent. One app escaped the purge, and apps that use LaunchAgents to start background processes like iStat Menus survived.

Really really annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Another annoying new bug in High Sierra that I didn’t notice with my MacBook for reasons that will become clear, but immediately noticed with my iMac: My iMac is a server. It’s on all the time. It has a screensaver set and blanks the screen after a while of course. Thing is I’ve always had it set to automatically log in which prevents me from having to enter a pssseord when I boot it up or wake it from the screensaver. But now it’s completely ignoring that setting. I have it set to automatically log in and it still asks for a password. I don’t know if this was an intentional change or a bug but I don’t want it. I don’t want to have to enter a password. At first I figure it wasn’t logging in but I’m wondering if it logs in automatically so things are loaded up but still asks for a password for security reasons. I mean if this is the case then I can get used to it if I have to as my only concern is it not loading up all my server apps and stuff if the power goes out, as much as I hate having to enter a password all the time. I mean it’s not like I can buy an external keyboard with TouchID. Yet.

If it’s an intentional feature I hope they make it optional. I couldn’t find a setting anywhere.

jstripes

Banned
Tried to install the latest High Sierra Public Beta, everything seems fine, it reboots, goes right back to the login screen. Just like the last time I tried a few betas ago. :/

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Came home to find my iMac unable to wake up from the screensaver. I hit a key and it lit up with a frozen screensaver image and a time of 4:30PM. (It was 10:45 by this point) Fortunately it wasn't frozen. Everything in the background was working fine, but I couldn't get to the desktop because it was stuck. So I had to force shut down.

Also there's a Finder bug where renaming files occasionally reverts/undoes the rename and the filename changes back.

anyone having notification issues with the latest iphone public beta? it only seems to affect the messages app, but the screen flashes on as if showing the notification but then it disappears instantly and there's no badge on the icon, as if I've already read the new message.

anyone having notification issues with the latest iphone public beta? it only seems to affect the messages app, but the screen flashes on as if showing the notification but then it disappears instantly and there's no badge on the icon, as if I've already read the new message.

Yes, happened to me once with Messages on the newest beta, and it’s been happening with Snapchat for a little while.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Anyone ever had issues with family sharing? I just tried to turn off 'ask to buy' for my son and it isn’t sticking. So I trie to make my wife an organiser so maybe she could turn off ask to buy, but that wasn’t sticking either.

I'm on the latest PB on iPad Pro 10.5

So if we've got a 4K Apple TV coming, no doubt that also means 4K iTunes content and another major iTunes version. Goddamn what's going to be the final straw to get rid of iTunes's raggedy ass

gamma

So if we've got a 4K Apple TV coming, no doubt that also means 4K iTunes content and another major iTunes version. Goddamn what's going to be the final straw to get rid of iTunes's raggedy ass

4k content already leaked a few weeks ago I think and latest rumors said next year for end of iTunes maybe.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hopefully hdr content compatible with iPad Pro.

Although I can’t see myself ever buying anything from iTunes, it’s too restricted to devices (can’t access on android, can’t play on a smart tv or console)

why bother though? Don't see Apple putting the effort in. There's way too much tied into at this point.

Ashhong

What do you mean? iTunes will always be around, always. They may need an update, but I can't see them just getting rid of iTunes altogether. That makes no sense.

DOWN

Banned
Seems almost certain that iTunes will become a Music app on Mac next year with Apple Music (which contains the iTunes Store and essentially becomes a slimmer iTunes) and a TV app for Mac (matching the iOS version). No?

Seems almost certain that iTunes will become a Music app on Mac next year with Apple Music (which contains the iTunes Store and essentially becomes a slimmer iTunes) and a TV app for Mac (matching the iOS version). No?

I feel like it's inevitable that this has to happen at some point but that old behemoth has been dragging on way past its shelf life. Something just like the iPhoto -> Photos.app transition makes a lot of sense to me.

A single App Store app letting you purchase/manage purchases for the mac app store *and* iOS app store (and imessage/tvOS/watch app stores, whatever) would be really nice too, not least because it'd allow for the possibility of a Mac+iOS app bundle. Naturally this would require Apple giving better support to the Mac App Store so independent developers would actually want their software on it, lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I haven’t used iTunes for years now. Phone and iPad don’t need it to set up so I avoid it as much as possible

Symphonia

Banned
I haven’t used iTunes for years now. Phone and iPad don’t need it to set up so I avoid it as much as possible
Same here. The last time I used iTunes - no joke - was back when I had a first-gen iPod nano. I didn’t mind it so much back then, but it’s just become a cluttered mess with each new update. Apple need to bin it and just make Apple Music their go-to app.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iTunes is still a necessity to me, to store local copies of apps for backup purposes. Since the app store isn't a static repository itself - undesirable app updates or iOS compatibility stuff - it just makes that part necessary. Plus I still use it as a music manager for local files but I don't use it to listen.

kiguel182

I only use iTunes for Apple Music and occasionally transferring files and getting a Apple Music only app would be bliss. Make it clean and bloat free and yeah, I would be an happy camper.

epmode

OneDrive still isn’t fully integrated into the iPad Files app. Is that going to happen? The app is kinda useless like this.

Vuze

OneDrive still isn't fully integrated into the iPad Files app. Is that going to happen? The app is kinda useless like this.
iOS 11 still isn't out and it's on the cloud app developers to properly implement the integration into Files so...

epmode

iOS 11 still isn't out and it's on the cloud app developers to properly implement the integration into Files so...

It's not entirely on the cloud developers to do it, right? I mean, the Files app is Apple's. I also have other apps that integrate perfectly with OneDrive and that didn't require any coordination with Microsoft.

Vuze

It's not entirely on the cloud developers to do it, right? I mean, the Files app is Apple's. I also have other apps that integrate perfectly with OneDrive and that didn't require any coordination with Microsoft.
Of course other apps can integrate perfectly with OneDrive etc, they have their own API and whatnot that any developer can implement.
Apple hasn't set out to integrate 1000s of cloud storage providers on their own into the Files app, they have done this with iCloud Drive and now offer the tools to developers to create a consistent experience across all providers as to how apps on iOS access cloud storage.
This is up to the cloud developers to implement into their app.

I hope I could make my point clear 😶

It is on them, but it’s not ENTIRELY their fault. By default the files app opens up the document browser they’ve all been using for a while, but to get the full experience they need to use the new iOS11 APIs. But apps aren’t allowed to ship those, even for beta users (unless you’re testing the app through TestFlight) until iOS11 actually ships. So the new version with full integration could very well be done right now but not able to be released for you until later in September

hirokazu

Microsoft has used the existing iOS cloud storage APIs to integrate OneDrive with other iOS apps. He intent was so that any apps that reference the API would have access to iCloud storage and by extension, any cloud storage providers who implemented the API. The old API popped up a modal document browser window.

Apple has a new API for cloud storage services to integrate seamlessly with the Files app. You’ll begin to see that integration come with third party cloud storage after iOS 11 rolls out. As a stopgap before all cloud storage providers support the new API (or in case some that support the existing one don’t update to support the new one for whatever reason), the Files app also supports accessing those services using the existing API, which is why you see them pop up in a modal window in the Files app.

daxy

Is there a bug in the current public beta build of iOS 11 with displaying battery usage and standby times? Mine are exactly the same. That can't be right.

Is there a bug in the current public beta build of iOS 11 with displaying battery usage and standby times? Mine are exactly the same. That can't be right.

If your device is never truly going to sleep, it could be accurate. Even if the screen is off if the system is doing something it’ll tick up both usage and standby

Juice

Microsoft has used the existing iOS cloud storage APIs to integrate OneDrive with other iOS apps. He intent was so that any apps that reference the API would have access to iCloud storage and by extension, any cloud storage providers who implemented the API. The old API popped up a modal document browser window.

Apple has a new API for cloud storage services to integrate seamlessly with the Files app. You’ll begin to see that integration come with third party cloud storage after iOS 11 rolls out. As a stopgap before all cloud storage providers support the new API (or in case some that support the existing one don’t update to support the new one for whatever reason), the Files app also supports accessing those services using the existing API, which is why you see them pop up in a modal window in the Files app.

Thanks for writing this explanation. I suspected it wasn't going to be obvious to folks. I'm looking forward to seamlessly switching among Google Drive, Dropbox, and iCloud, since I have to use all three

daxy

If your device is never truly going to sleep, it could be accurate. Even if the screen is off if the system is doing something it’ll tick up both usage and standby

Huh, I didn't know about this. Thanks. Maybe that's why my battery life has tanked as of late.

hirokazu

Usually you should restart the device when that happens because it’s indicative of a runaway process in the background eating away at your battery.

kiguel182

I see your point there, but the non Apple Music services for iTunes on the Mac isn’t intrusive, at least that’s how I view it

I agree, I don't think they are.

But I think there's a bunch of legacy UI stuff that I wouldn't mind getting rid off and if it becomes a more light weight app it would be nice.

I don't think it's a priority, more like a nice thing to have.

FerranMG

In my original iPad Air, with the latest public beta installed, I have over half of the space used by System.
I know other people had the same problem here.
Did you find a fix for it?
I reckon they will not this go through the final release version. :/

Nightfall

Has anybody here with an iPhone and iOS 11 experienced that Bluetooth automatically turns on?
I have driving mode enabled and every morning when I get out of the car after driving to work, bluetooth is on. This doesn't happen during every drive though! And I don't ever have Bluetooth switched on. Very rarely. And when I do, it's a very conscious choice.

Haven't read anything about such a behaviour anywhere.

epmode

My iPad Pro 10.5 runs surprisingly well with the latest iOS 11 beta.
My only iPad Pro performance issue with the beta is that opening certain apps results in a stuttery animation as the app fills the screen. Happens mostly with Safari.

My biggest functionality complaint is that the method for opening splitscreen apps is far less intuitive than the old method. If the app you want to use in splitscreen isn't already in your dock, it's a hassle to set up. The old way was uglier but I much prefer it.

Juice

My only iPad Pro performance issue with the beta is that opening certain apps results in a stuttery animation as the app fills the screen. Happens mostly with Safari.

My biggest functionality complaint is that the method for opening splitscreen apps is far less intuitive than the old method. If the app you want to use in splitscreen isn't already in your dock, it's a hassle to set up. The old way was uglier but I much prefer it.

Ive forced myself to use drag-drop on things I would normally copy-paste and the dexterity required has retrained me a bit

Top Bottom