• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N++ |OT| Time is money

KHlover

Banned
I'm going to blackmail every member of this forum into buying this game.

Sure, once it releases on PC, 3DS, WiiU, Android or Vita I'll pick it up :p
Loved the original flash game, but with the exception of the NDS port it hasn't popped up on any gaming system I own ever since :(

kwisc

Neo Member
First i want to apologize for being little to harsh and probably rude in my previous post. I just rly get angry when i see creator complaining about consumers. For me it always sounds bad ;)

Now lets get back to your points:

"What makes me truly believe that I'm right, however, is that we know a lot of other game developers (...) their appreciation of the quality of craft that went into N++."
IMO game developers aren't always the best ppl to judge games. They know a lot about them, but they often look at games from different perspective. They can appreciate a lot of stuff, that normal gamers won't even see and that are not very important. I'm not saying they are wrong, but it isn't so simple: developers says this is awesome game so it must be awesome ;)
"Not that N++ is perfect, but I believe it is at least in the running for "best platformer to be released in this century."; I'm a bit embarrassed to publicly state this, but not too much, because (a) obviously I have to feel this way, because if I thought it wasn't the best I would make the necessary changes so that it was the best"
Again it doesn't work that way. You can work on something for 10 years, you can think it's perfect and it still can be just average product. There are many examples of painters, writers or other artists who wanted to create their opus magnum. They spend years working on them and people or critics still loved their first book or painting more. Artist isn't neutral while judging his work and you won't make something perfect only because you want to do something perfect. I would like to paint like DaVinci but i can spend 50 years and won't make another Mona Lisa. Still your game can be awesome and i would probably love it but in my opinion you can't say "My game is perfect because i think so". It just sounds bad when creator say it about his creation ;)
"We think that N++ was the perfect name for this game" "we prefer to remain idealistic"
I really appreciate your decision. You want to make game you love. Cool. But if you want to remain idealistic you shouldn't complain about sales. This is how things works. You can be idealistic when you are millionaire or you are creating small flashy game. If you invest a lot of money in game development you must think about sales or you go bancrupt.

About originality. I think you misunderstood me or i just wrote it badly ;) There are games which look bad but they still sell great. Games like Farming Simulator, Minecraft or DayZ. Why? Because they were very original and one of their kind. If you will try to sell not great looking shooter, RPG or 2D platformer it probably won't sell well. Just look at Ori, Mario, Rayman or Shovelknight. Their mechanics are very important but their graphics are also big part of their succes. Ofc there are some exceptions (Super Meat Boy), but good graphic increase your chances.

"Yes, big publishers know how to market and sell games, and make lots of money. But you know what big publishers don't know how to do? Make great games."
I realy don't like all that bias towards publishers. Yes there are many bad publishers who only think about money, but they aren't the only ones. Good publishers are rly important. They know how to plan games development, how to sell them and how to manage budget. Not every good game designer must be good game producer or businessman, that's why you have experts in every category.

"We think that art should be made by artists, not by business people."
Sure, but if you want to make expensive art you must do it with business people or earn money beforehand. I really don't like this attitude from some artist. Because they make art, they expect to have money for this. Making art is a privilege.
If you want to make some unpopular art, you must earn some money first by doing something popular. If you don't want to, start writing books. It is cheaper ;)

Anyway good luck with your sales. I will probably buy it if you make it available on Vita ;)

It's just a bit frustrating when people write off our hard work as "lol atari game not worth $20" when quite simply, they're wrong. (IMO)

I think the thing you guys failed to do was market research, or acknowledge what it told you. You cannot dictate what your game is worth. You just can't in a free market. It sucks but, that is how it is. I'm not saying your game is good or bad, or anything like that. I'm saying that you're trying to dictate the market and you can't. That is one driving reason why your sales are poor.

It's admirable to take the stance that you think games should be made by developers and not by business people. As an older developer myself, let me tell you though, that business people exist for a reason. Games should be built by developers but, they need to be sold by people who understand the market in which they're being put into. Again, it sucks and I don't like it any more than I'm sure you do but, that is how it is.

You needed to research the area you were deploying your game too more and find the right price point and platforms, based on data acquired from testing the general population on a myriad of things.

Also, again as an older developer, please understand that getting chaffed and writing about it on Gaf is a bad idea. Use Gaf for what it is and understand what it isn't. Publicly calling people ignorant in the manner that you have will cause some people to be put off and disregard your game altogether. This no doubt has already spread to reddit and other social sites. I know that isn't your intention but, it's the end result...or maybe it is the intention. No press is bad press I guess.

Please understand I'm not trying to be cynical or overly critical here. I'm just trying to address what I see as huge mistakes that have helped lead you to your predicament.

mare

Neo Member
First i want to apologize for being little to harsh and probably rude in my previous post. I just rly get angry when i see creator complaining about consumers. For me it always sounds bad ;)

Thank you! You've made a lot of good points actually, you're right.. I need to reevaluate my perspective a bit, and be a bit more realistic and less biased. Thanks for that :)

(btw, this is Raigan still.. hopefully soon I'll have my own account!)

I do have one very specific bone to pick, though.. sorry! ;)

>good graphic increase your chances.

The core of my frustration with this sentiment, which is AFAICT the majority opinion re: N++'s graphics, is that: these *are* good graphics!

I doubt I will convince you, but I want to try just in case it's possible.

I don't just mean that the graphics are good in the context of the game design, etc; I mean that, this style of graphics (broadly speaking, circa-2000s The Designers Republic-style vector graphics) was a major movement in graphic design.

This style was literally the supreme style for about a decade.

In fact, this visual style was so popular and successful that it almost became a cliche. So many people found it so compelling, that they drove it into the ground, and the graphic design world moved on.

Now: if you were arguing that the graphics aren't good because, from a graphic design perspective, they're a bit stale: fair enough. I absolutely agree that, in the world of graphic design, we aren't doing anything new.

However: we thought it was worth pursuing this style because, not only does it work well with the game, but we wanted to inject some style and cultural literacy into games.

We really don't understand gamers that dismiss our graphics as "bad", when for a decade the people who care most about graphics -- graphic designers -- championed this as good.

Maybe this is the same "game designer's game designer" problem you mentioned, but honestly: I think it's sad to consider the majority opinion "correct", experts know better than the uninformed what is truly worthwhile and good. The scientist knows more about science than the layperson.

Now, if the majority thinks that something is bad, yes.. in a very real sense it's bad. (Especially in the context of the marketplace. But that's not a very interesting context IMO.)

But it's also possible that the majority are simply illiterate, or at least have very juvenile taste and sensibilities.

For a long time, it was common knowledge that the Earth was flat! You can't always rely on the group consensus for good information, and I'm hopeful that in the next years more games will try to explore the rich history of 2D graphics in an attempt to break free from the current dogma. (eg Cuphead is very promising in this regard)

We think that trying to design something that's easily digestible for the lowest common denominator will only move you around in the same space everyone else has already explored; you have to push against people's comfort zones to find something a bit novel. I guess I just need a thicker skin when they push back ;)

We wanted to try to steer games towards modern graphic design, because we think that (a) it's beautiful, (b) it's much fresher and more interesting than the typical "retro pixels" or "illustrated cartoon" 2D styles, (c) it is functional and very effective at communicating visually to the player.

We are frustrated because, from our perspective, it's not the graphics that are bad, but some gamers' lack of taste and basic literacy wrt graphic design. It's no different than "my kid could paint this" criticisms of minimal/abstract art.

They only want what they already know/understand, they aren't interested in being open to something different, and to us this is a profoundly sad outlook. Life is too short not to be open to something new and different :)

We don't want to be the same, we want to take people along with us to someplace more exciting.. but: I absolutely agree that ultimately the failure rests with us, for not being able to convince people that our graphics are in fact "good". We're going to keep trying harder in the future :)

(A hilarious story: the first designers we worked with didn't want to do vectors because they were so cliche -- instead, they said what was really cutting edge right now in the world of graphic design was.. chunky pixels!! We could never convince them that chunky pixels were not a good fit for the game though, alas.)

SerTapTap

I think the obviousness of the value is a big problem. There was some article I saw trotting out the game as "you only have one life and 60 seconds to beat a level in this game!" and that just feels so wrong. With a single exception thus far I've never felt pressed for time and "one life" seems extremely misleading considering there's no "game over" state. I watched the trailers and felt I knew I was getting into but I think a lot of people don't.

I thought I was done with the game, but I couldn't quit at the point I left it at. Taking a break of about a week actually helped, I wasn't as rushed or frustrated to finish stuff. Thankfully, I finally managed to clear some of my demons: D-14, D-18 and E-10. I cleared E-14 too for good measure. Now only E-18 and 19 remain. If they turn out to be too hard I can at least retire in peace...

IMO, play the game slowly. I've been playing 5-10 episodes a day a couple days a week. But you're basically done anyway. And legacy levels provide a good break if you're only playing N++, they seem easier in terms of comparing the same column/row.

mare

Neo Member
Also, again as an older developer, please understand that getting chaffed and writing about it on Gaf is a bad idea. Use Gaf for what it is and understand what it isn't. Publicly calling people ignorant in the manner that you have will cause some people to be put off and disregard your game altogether. This no doubt has already spread to reddit and other social sites. I know that isn't your intention but, it's the end result...or maybe it is the intention. No press is bad press I guess.

Thank you; you're absolutely right. I had a pretty bad day yesterday.. in general I'm going to try to focus on the positive, answering questions etc. and maybe just shutting my fat yap for a bit so everyone else can discuss the game without some blowhard steaming in an ranting at them.

It really wasn't our intention, we had enough of controversy when N+ launched. I mean.. I've tried not to be too inflamatory, to be reasonable and thoughtful, but ultimately I see that any attempt at broaching certain subjects or arguing certain points can't help but be taken in a bad light regardless of how they're phrased.

So: with that, Raigan will stop posting from Mare's account! But we're still available if anyone has any questions, comments, or complaints :)

kwisc

Neo Member
The core of my frustration with this sentiment, which is AFAICT the majority opinion re: N++'s graphics, is that: these *are* good graphics!

Eh again my mistake. This is what happens when you write too fast in foreign lenguage and don't think through your opinion :> To be honest i don't think your game looks bad. Not only that, i love pixelart and simple graphics like Super Meat Boy, Sound Shapes or OlliOllie. While writing my previous opnion i took the perspective of (in my opinion) typical player and used word "bad" as a mental shortcut (i probably using this word incorrectly but I hope my point is understandable :>) . Most people don't like simple graphic or don't value it really high because in theory it is easy to make ("5 years old can do that!"). By using this kind of style your game was automaticly moved to 5-10$ price basket. From consumer perspective it isn't strange that some shitty 3D shooter i sell for 60$, but it would be strange if even the best 2D platformer would be sell for that price. 2D games must be cheap and to be honest i don't think anybody can change that (Nintendo games are the only exception i can think of).

Ok. Now I think we both understand our points of view better and can finish this long discusion without any grudge ;) Glad to hear you realised that blaming consumers isn't the best idea (everyone can have a bad day :>) and good luck with your future projects. Even if n++ wont be financial success I think it will give you a lot of expirience to make great games which also sells great ;)

PS. Now i can even pay for it 20$, but only if Vita version is available ;p

Yeah "lose the tail" was intense. I find that jumping right before you do a u-turn makes it really easy to just run underneath your clone. Two more episodes and I'm done with the B row. Best game.

MizzouRah

So: with that, Raigan will stop posting from Mare's account! But we're still available if anyone has any questions, comments, or complaints :)

Is there any way to zoom the camera like in N+? If there isn't, are you considering adding it?

gururoji

Just wanted to say, though I think that "be very careful of calling your potential consumers ignorant" is a good point, overall I think this has been an awesome discussion of the state of games and what decisions went into the making and marketing of N++. So, Raigan and/or Mare, I hope that you don't step back too far from the conversation. I'd love to see your continued insight on this game and many others. And it's been great to see other game creators like Robert@Zeboyd chime in too.

Maybe (partly in hindsight) there should be a different topic for discussing the difficulty of the sales of this game so that could continue but leave the discussion of the game itself here? I might try starting one but I'm too busy at the moment to give it the thought it deserves.

MrS

Banned
Maybe (partly in hindsight) there should be a different topic for discussing the difficulty of the sales of this game so that could continue but leave the discussion of the game itself here? I might try starting one but I'm too busy at the moment to give it the thought it deserves.
Please don't - it's not going to make anybody feel better about the situation and I don't see how that sort of negative attention would benefit the game.

Somebody started a thread like that on reddit based on this thread and the comments are about as negative as you would expect. No need to start one here.

I started a more general thread about a month ago on indie game pricing. Discussion was civil, but I kind of feel like the discussion didn't really change anybody's minds either way.

I stopped being a bum and finally got around to picking this up. Got through all the tutorial episodes. Thumb is mildly numb. Good times.

Price is fine. Name is fine. N is legend and N++ deserves better.

There's a spot during "I left the party" where everything just syncs up and I think I see God when I am playing this game.

EDIT THE DEVILS PLAYTHING IS FUCKING EVIL

mantrakid

interesting read.

it sounds like you've been saying the gameplay is the most important part of the game, and yet you don't have a demo developed for the purposes of selling the game. you wish for people to gamble and purchase a game not having played it... a game which you admit that you don't fully appreciate until you play...

It sounds like, without a concerted effort on reaching out to press as you admitted, that you were banking on having hordes of fans from your past games purchasing your new one as soon as it was available. the 'if you build it they will come' mentality is truly delusional. Shit just doesn't work like that, least of all when you are *expecting it*.

At the very least, if that was your strategy, you should have had concerted effort and outside of the box marketing strategies to appeal to those fans come launch time.

If you were hoping that your name / game / history was good enough to carry the whole shebang then you honestly have no one to blame but yourself, by very literal definition of that statement. It clearly wasn't.

Instead of spending time ranting / complaining / focussing on the negative, you could be spending more time actively promoting the game now that it's out. I suppose that could be what this is..

But what do I even know. As someone who has kinda been in your shoes recently, this just rubbed me totally the wrong way.

Maybe people should buy a game because the game fucking slays and a billion people own the console. Idk, with respect to the transparency shown in this thread, it's still a game that people need to know is good and need to know that they should buy.

Maybe we're past that, I don't know. I know it lacks identity with Playstation gamers and I know on the surface it looks simplistic but most people will easily find $20 worth of value here; especially if they consider themselves gooD at platforming games.

it sounds like you've been saying the gameplay is the most important part of the game, and yet you don't have a demo developed for the purposes of selling the game. you wish for people to gamble and purchase a game not having played it... a game which you admit that you don't fully appreciate until you play...

Microsoft had a policy that all XBLA games were required to have a demo. They did not continue that policy with xbone because their data was not showing it as being useful, they discussed it in one of giant bomb's E3 2015 videos. I would track down and link but am on mobile.

Demos are a thing that when they do not exist people point to and say 'there should be a demo!', but when they are made are largely ignored.

e: I was wrong. The conversation I mentioned was Microsoft talking about how their early access preview program will have demos. Slightly different thing as they are trying to curb people feeling burned by unfinished games. I distinctly recall a conversation with someone in a position who would know stating what I said above. I cannot recall the source though and perfectly willing to admit it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
After 967 attempts, I conquered E-19! Insanity. That felt good to finally beat.

Now onto the X row, the last two E episodes I have on Legacy, and the freshly marked secret tasks. Someday I'll hopefully be able to delve into the co-op too. There's so much to do in this game, it's fantastic. Lots of options to challenge yourself with.

My in-game time (non-menus) is rapidly approaching 3 full days.

Matll

After 967 attempts, I conquered E-19! Insanity. That felt good to finally beat..

Congratulations and no wonder it took you so long because I think that E-19-04 is one of the worst designed levels in the whole game. You just don't have enough fine control over the ninja that you can reliably go fast and stay over the toggle mines while touching the buttons when you have turrets shooting you and rockets trailing behind you. When you are doing "the normal platforming" (i.e., going fast and jumping from walls to walls) the controls are perfect but trying to stand in a few pixel wide spots to touch both toggle mines and those buttons while going fast is just painful.

Also I just got all the gold in the last level of the game (X-19-04) but died in the last drop to the exit of the level like a few centimeters away from it... Oh well, I had to suspend the game and I'll come back to it later so that I can get the number 1 position on the leaderboards.

bede-x

After 967 attempts, I conquered E-19! Insanity. That felt good to finally beat.

Congratulations.

Reading something like this does get me thinking though. Why do so many indie developers go after this ultra punishing difficulty? If you think of the games that people typically mention when talking about the best platformers ever like Mario or Sonic, none of them are anywhere near as punishing as something like N. And when you see larger studios make platformers like Donkey Kong Country Returns, Rayman Origins/Legends, New Super Mario Bros or Sonic Generations they try to ensure that it's possible for a large group of people to participate far into the game, maybe even completion. Even the end levels aren't anywhere near something like N in difficulty.

Personally I've no problems with N's difficulty and think it's perfectly fitting for the type of game it is, but it became clear to me as I've been showing it off to friends that most of them came away with the same answer: "Looks great, but way too difficult for me".

While it's possible to be lucky like Super Meat Boy, I don't think most people want games as hard as this and by making them this hard you're speaking to a small minority of gamers. N has other visibility issues obviously, but even if those were solved and people got direct contact with it, I'm not convinced the amount of people looking for ultra punishing platformers is a particularly large group.

The longform posts from the developer in this topic have been an interesting (and depressing) read.

I am an N+ fan from the 360 days who jumped on this as soon as preorders went up on PS4 and I love the game. I'm sorry it isn't working out.

I feel like New N Tasty got the same thing last year, maybe $20 is just a bridge too far for the mainstream.

Firstly I'd just like to say that I've enjoyed my time with N++ a great deal and don't regret buying it at all. I was a fan of N+ on 360 and this has been even better.

However, and I hope you take this in the right spirit, I think you've made a mistake with the pricing/amount of content. N+ sold very well on 360 but it was significantly cheaper (800 MS points) and it also had a demo (I think the lack of demos for digital download games has really hurt them this gen along with PS+ and the 'I'll wait til it's free on PS+' attitude but that's for another discussion).

N+ is a game that you really need to play to understand if you have no experience of the series. You need to be able to feel how finely tuned the physics and sense of control are to make sense of it. Screenshots do it no justice. N+ offered that chance while N++ doesn't so far.

The thing is, whilst you may be correct in saying that when you divide the price of N++ by the number of levels then it works out cheaper per level than N+, I don't think that's how consumers think. They just see the headline price and ask whether they think that is worth it or not. Unpalatable as it may be for people who appreciate these kind of games, I suspect the price for N++ will be considered too high by many whereas N+ was priced at the sweet spot. If you'd released fewer levels for a lower price, I reckon you might have fared better, because ultimately over 2000 levels is more than most players will ever dream of seeing bar the most hardcore.

I really wish you the best in recouping the money you invested in the project though. I do think you deserve more success, I'm just not sure the market is there on consoles for 20 dollar indie platformers like this, no matter how much content there is.
Damn, just saw the whole discussion about the game's sales. That's absolute shame. N was one of the best platformers of the last decade.

But honestly, $20 is seen as expensive for most indies, and especially so for platformers. Most go for the $14.99 price point, with games like Ori being the exceptions

When you see what other indie games are priced at $20 or higher - Stasis, Ark Survival, Subnautica, Space Engineers, The Long Dark, etc. - I think it's unfortunately but understandable why some people might feel N++ is too expensive.

Finally started up my copy I picked up on launch day and been making some slow but steady progress. Completed all the Intro levels, nearly all with gold (skipped a couple levels if getting all gold would slow me down a lot) and started working on the N++ and Archive levels (or whatever the previous game levels were called?). But then I went online and followed toythatkills. Ugh, spent far too much time working on his levels. Especially that Pac-Man level. I really wanted to get all the gold and do it quickly but those stupid things that stand in as the ghosts continued to kill me. I think once or twice I got all the gold but then died while trying to get to the open switch. I changed my route to hit the switch near the point I cleared the bottom half before moving up but even then I'd always die when I only had like one strip of gold or something. So frustrating.

Got some pretty decent times. Best Episode ranking is 13th with some others in the top 50. I didn't check replays yet or anything to work on any sort of optimization. Really neat stuff.

The only thing I feel is missing if it's something that could be added in a patch is maybe list the online levels you've played? Or maybe there is a spot for that and I simply missed it. The first night I played I got Rank 00 on an online level and then trying to find it several nights later took a lot of browsing. Still Rank 00!

baconcow

As far as game pricing, I think this game would fit well with a $15 tag. I put over 10 hours in and I am a fraction complete. Not sure all this talk of market research and such. It doesn't take long to look at most console indies as that price and realize the quality, content, and gameplay are all there to make $15 feasible. The game's engine is excellent, level design ranges from good to great, and content is enormous, especially with local multiplayer. I paid $16 and am satisfied.

I personally don't like paying $20 for indies or $60+ for AAA (which sucks as our AAA games now run $75+ CAD, leading me to requiring yearly E3 sale purchases). However, I will from time to time.

Got all gold on the intro stages, and finished the A row for N++ and legacy. Also got through a good chunk of gold in the A row.

My thumbs cry for mercy.

cyba89

Is there any rough time period for when the fix for the save corruption thing hits? I have some level ideas floating in my head, but I'm scared to use the editior, because there apparently is a connection to that.

I hope it will hit before Mario Maker will probably take up all my level creating time. ;)

This is some evil shit. You monsters.

HTjk5Zu.jpg

I've been idling on the menu screen for a few minutes to be safe and try and avoid the save corrupt thing, as well as avoiding the editor, and making backups. Probably overkill, but no issues so far.

XaosWolf

This is some evil shit. You monsters.

These are the levels I've been skipping. There is zero fun to be had in them and you can tell they're "Gold Cloud" levels immediately.

Worst is that they aren't even levels without you collecting all the gold. That particular level is liyerally just jump left-switch-jump right-door and that's it.

Bear in mind that the above is written whilst I'm still frustrated by this fucking level:

2015082402575459r59.jpg

I love this game to bits, but this level has way too many unnecessary bits for one of those human timer levels. =/

These are the levels I've been skipping. There is zero fun to be had in them and you can tell they're "Gold Cloud" levels immediately.

Worst is that they aren't even levels without you collecting all the gold. That particular level is liyerally just jump left-switch-jump right-door and that's it.

It's just a different kind of challenge. It'd be boring if every level was the same. I don't particularly like the "gold cloud" levels either but I love that they're there to mix stuff up, and it feels really good when you beat them.

I am fine with them. More often than not there are 1 or 2 blocks that are the actual challenge and the rest is clean up duty. They are the easiest levels to get frustrated with, though. There should be an options unlock that you can turn on that after X attempts shows you a calming picture of art for 30 seconds.

I think I am going to have to take a break today. My thumbs are so numb that pushing on the nail is sensitive. :\

I am fine with them. More often than not there are 1 or 2 blocks that are the actual challenge and the rest is clean up duty. They are the easiest levels to get frustrated with, though. There should be an options unlock that you can turn on that after X attempts shows you a calming picture of art for 30 seconds.

Go play the Mona Lisa level

XaosWolf

I know, I know. I'll get to them eventually, but... UGHHHH.

Luckily they're few and far between.

Still haven't worked up the courage (and time) to go back to Fallen Angel Industrial Park.

20150813001706nixgw.jpg

I can't consistently make it up to the gold on the right, let alone get the other side. And then also dodging 2 rockets and 2 railguns.

*Splinter

I know, I know. I'll get to them eventually, but... UGHHHH.

Luckily they're few and far between.

Still haven't worked up the courage (and time) to go back to Fallen Angel Industrial Park.

20150813001706nixgw.jpg

I can't consistently make it up to the gold on the right, let alone get the other side. And then also dodging 2 rockets and 2 railguns.
I remember that one, it's a crazy difficulty spike, I think I had to opt for a slower/easier route in the end

Haven't done that one yet but I've found when I am doing the hundreds of attempts in a single session thing that watching the top replays can be very cathartic. Not as a guide since it is usually easy enough to puzzle out routes but watching the level complete lets you rest but keeps you in the head space without 'going cold' like a full break can do.

btw, filling up my friend's leaderboard would be nice. Has anyone collected PSN IDs anywhere? I'll throw mine here (quote to get it) so I can safely assume any request that comes in over the next few days is from here.

Not sure if the dev is still around but any chance of adding in the next patch a color tint to the episodes you've cleared all gold boxes on in the progress screen? Hope that is a small enough request to not be a bother. Would be a nice to have full summary for sharing total progress.

Also I switched to columns and feel this is the superior path. Come at me row legion.

mare

Neo Member
Not sure if the dev is still around but any chance of adding in the next patch a color tint to the episodes you've cleared all gold boxes on in the progress screen? Hope that is a small enough request to not be a bother. Would be a nice to have full summary for sharing total progress.

Also I switched to columns and feel this is the superior path. Come at me row legion.

Good idea, thank you -- noted! :)

mare

Neo Member
We don't understand the row people.. columns are much more interesting, 20 waves slowly getting more intense vs a handful of slower (boring, IMO) waves. It's our own fault -- we definitely over-corrected from N+, where the problem was players refusing to move right and as a result getting stuck early on when moving down.. alas. Design is hard! :/

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh, one little bug I encountered: when I completed N++ row E and simultaneously unlocked the
secret task info
, the gold collection markers disappeared from the Legacy section (where I'm not yet done with row E).

I'm still plugging away at various challenges, up to 43% complete.

hawk2025

We don't understand the row people.. columns are much more interesting, 20 waves slowly getting more intense vs a handful of slower (boring, IMO) waves. It's our own fault -- we definitely over-corrected from N+, where the problem was players refusing to move right and as a result getting stuck early on when moving down.. alas. Design is hard! :/

Yep, I'm a column person allll the way.

But I love that the option is there for different difficulty curves. I disagree that it was a mistake. It has just the right pacing to keep me playing and knowing that when I come back for more, I can, say, start a new column to get in the groove instead of jumping right into a D set of levels, for example.

Columns also create nicer break points to end a play session on. Leaving at a quarter or half a row finished feels wrong but playing an entire row in a single session is rough, particularly the more difficult it gets. Getting through a block of 5 in a column always feels doable, and you can easily move on to another block if you feel like continuing.

XaosWolf

Good idea, thank you -- noted! :)

Any updates on the save bug? Haven't had it myself, but it sounds like a showstopper.

Also need that menu item description fixed. It annoys me for silly reasons. =P

EDIT: Oh by the way: thanks for the pin set and the handwritten notes are a lovely personal touch! =D

Makes me feel bad for the complaining I do here sometimes.

ThisOne

How does the landing mechanic work? I thought in a tutorial level I played that I could land on a slanted surface no matter from how high but then a few levels later that didn't seem to be the case. Is there some technique/trick I should know?

BadData

Bear in mind that the above is written whilst I'm still frustrated by this fucking level:

2015082402575459r59.jpg

I love this game to bits, but this level has way too many unnecessary bits for one of those human timer levels. =/

This level was a brutal spike for me and my fiancee... it's the only level we've skipped so far. Pretty gnarly :(

Top Bottom