• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT2| You're thinking how much you want to **** this game aren't you?

Ending C down. Did I mention that I barely know what's going on?

If humanity is dead, why did anyone bother to give the androids something to do with Yorha? Why not just let them be / die? Who put the big white tower there, again? The robots? Was A2 introduced in A-B (months ago IRL for me) because I don't remember her besides what she did in this ending?

LotusHD

Banned
Ending C down. Did I mention that I barely know what's going on?

If humanity is dead, why did anyone bother to give the androids something to do with Yorha? Why not just let them be / die? Who put the big white tower there, again? The robots? Was A2 introduced in A-B (months ago IRL for me) because I don't remember her besides what she did in this ending?

A group of androids made up the lie of humanity being dead in order to preserve android morale, because learning the truth ensured that morale would go down, thereby inevitably making sure that they'd lose the war to the machines. It's also part of why Project YoRHa is a thing, which is ultimately designed to permanently keep up the lie of humanity still being around.

As the Route C revelations should've informed you, the gist of it is that they don't want the androids (YoRHA members, as well as the regular androids on earth) to know that humanity is extinct, as that would make them ultimately lose the war. But at the same time, they don't actually want to win the war (neither do the machines, explained by the Machine Research Report you get after completing Route C), hence they come up with complex methods in order to self-sabotage themselves, the latest method being Project YoRHa.

The machines put the tower there.

A2 was in both Routes A and B, you fought her in a boss battle.

I'm still thinking about nier and automata, I'm still thinking about these characters and about the themes. When I'm on my death bed I'm going to be listening to this fucking ost.

saktrop

Neo Member
Just finished route c and i've gotta say the soundtrack of the game is one of the most amazing things i've experienced along with the gripping story.I'm gonna remember characters and the story that was told.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, no patch, but I've played the game since near launch with no real problem once the fan mod is installed.

Like I understand if you don't deem that as acceptable when it comes to supporting the product, it's a perfectly reasonable stance to take, but it's not really that hard to have a good experience with the PC version.

YMMV of course. I'm running the game on a 960.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Went back and finished the
Lost Couples
sidequest.

All the good sidequests in this game are either depressing or very sobering. :(

Is the game finally acceptable on PC?

Kinda want to give it a shot before Destiny 2 hits
It's hit or miss.

If the game works fine in vanilla, you're great.

If you get the FAR mod and it solves all problems for you, you're great (I played the game on PC, with the FAR mod).

If the FAR mod doesn't help any issues you have, you're boned.

I'm still progressing through Gestalt (a bit faster now that I've abandoned the platinum as to not ruin the game for myself), and it has me thinking back on
Devola and Popola
's role in Automata, and what strikes me as the game's biggest shortcoming.

So the two of them are ostracized from society, forced to carry the burden of their predecessors being largely responsible for that whole "dooming humanity" thing. I knew the gist of their story going in, but having now experienced Gestalt firsthand, their last stand in Automata feels even more poignant, perhaps my favorite moment in the game outside of the ending... but they're hardly treated as more than a simple "unlock the door" narrative tool, a footnote that happens to go out with a frigging bang. We briefly hear of the way they're treated and see a minor dialogue exchange of someone handing them a dangerous task, but we hardly spend more than a few moments with them, and it's largely left to the audience to kind of fill in the empathetic gaps. For that matter, the same is largely true of Adam and Eve, who at least get a few cutscenes but are hardly explored and feel all but forgotten by time you get to route C
. Many of these characters get big, fantastic moments, but I wish we had seen more stuff "on screen" building up to them.

Sure, there are supplemental materials that flesh things out a bit more, and with Automata being my favorite game in a while I'm clearly one of the people who felt alright with filling in the gaps themselves, but still, there are so many little aspects of the game that felt like they deserved at least little more time in the spotlight. You wouldn't want the story dragged down by spending too much time on secondary characters, but the amount they went with wound up making it often feel a little rushed. Maybe it's a narrative/stylistic decision and maybe it's largely due to budget and time, but either way, I feel like the game left a lot of potentially great character work on the table.

(this is also a stealth "sucks the vinyl set doesn't have Song of the Ancients - Atonement" whining post)

I feel like playing the game through a third time, lol.

Maybe I should finish my second playthrough of the original too, I put it on hold because of Automata.

I'm still on route A at like 19 hours in. I'm guessing since this goes up to route E it's a seriously long game but I don't mind, it's something I'm in the mood for right now.

Just took out the
sea machine boss, man that was a cool fight.
The genre blending, although I knew to expect it, is still kinda blowing my mind.

OléGunner;250058487 said:
I'm still on route A at like 19 hours in. I'm guessing since this goes up to route E it's a seriously long game but I don't mind, it's something I'm in the mood for right now.

Just took out the
The genre blending, although I knew to expect it, is still kinda blowing my mind.
actually its not that long, as it gets progressively shorter with each main ending you get.

I 100% completed the game in 55 hours

Thought I'd ask this question here as well: Is Nier worth it at €45 if I'm buying it based on the critical reception of the story? I'm kind of apprehensive about the gameplay, seeing as how I'm usually not a fan of games like DMC etc, which this seems kind of akin to.

LotusHD

Banned
Thought I'd ask this question here as well: Is Nier worth it at €45 if I'm buying it based on the critical reception of the story? I'm kind of apprehensive about the gameplay, seeing as how I'm usually not a fan of games like DMC etc, which this seems kind of akin to.

Yes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
OléGunner;250058487 said:

Just took out the

I was done with A in 10 hours lol.

But I spent most time side questing on B.

Baalzebup

The answer is obviously somewhat subjective, but to weight in on the matter... yes, most definitely.

Nope

I guess the story is somewhat interesting, but the way it's presented is so frustrating it would probably be a better experience to just read a summary.

hrab

Just go for it. It's a very unique experience, if you will like it, you will ask yourself why the hell did you wait for so long. If you won't - i guess no price would be good anyway, maybe as a part of PSPlus. And you can sell it then.

juicyb

Well I tried to push through with this game and get to the end, but I just couldn't. The combat started to drag for me and couldn't sustain my interest for the length of the game. Which is a shame because I loved everything else besides the combat/hacking. 18 hours in and route B just sucked all of my energy and patience to finally get to anything truly worthwhile. I enjoyed the perspective change from route A to B, however, it wasn't enough. Certain things could have been shortened by quite a lot. The momentum of the story slowed down so much. Hopefully these segments get edited down in his next game because I love the atmosphere and setting of this game a ton.

I might push through and keep going still, despite my disappointment with the game's length. Man, route B could have been so much shorter.

I might push through and keep going still, despite my disappointment with the game's length. Man, route B could have been so much shorter.
I mean, if you just do the main quest it won't take long, especially considering how powerful 9S is, between the hacking and the spear-throwing.

juicyb

Then it's all new stuff from now on, enjoy it while it lasts!

Yea like I said earlier, I'm trying to push through this game after fatigue set in during route B. I've never played a game where I'm so invested in everything but the gameplay itself. Having a very love/hate relationship with it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Very worth it. This game's story is excellent, and is its main draw. I think the story that this game tells is very unique, and is the reason why so many people like this game.

The drawbacks are that the story's starts kinda slow, and has some pacing issues because of the game's open world and the way each chapter of the story is structured. But both of these things are outweighed by the story and lore of the game.

The gameplay is kind of DMC-lite in that the combat looks as cool as a DMC game, but isn't anywhere near as mechanically complicated. You can mash and dodge your way through every combat encounter just fine if you're not that interested in it.
I mean, if you just do the main quest it won't take long, especially considering how powerful 9S is, between the hacking and the spear-throwing.
I like how my impressions with 9S' combat ability changed so drastically throughout the game.

1. Why does this guy call himself a non-combat type? He's
fighting side by side with 2B just fine.
*starts Route B* Ohh. He actually pretty much HAS to hack to do anything useful.
Damn, this hacking thing is overpowered as fuck.
I'm bored of the hacking minigame. Let's try combat again.
Holding spear throw over and over again is fucking broken and dumb. This guy is broken.
Damn, Operator 21O. Stop being so harsh about 9S' combat ability. You don't realize how broken he is.
*Route C* Holy shit, I love what A2 and 2B can do with these upgraded weapons. Screw 9S' combat.

Got a little bit of trophy cleanup left, but basically finished everything last night.

Amazing sequel overall. The 2 optional
Emil
fights especially broke my heart. The music,
Kaine's cottage
, the bittersweet ending as he calls out to
Kaine

I'm sorry I waited as long as I did to play it. Hopefully future entries into the series can keep building on the world they've created.

Hektor

Playing DRV3 when

UsVipaK.png

WAIT A MINUTE

So I just finished original Nier this morning and went directly to Automata, and holy crap. The gameplay difference is insane and very welcome. Thank you based Platinum. The only thing I disliked about the first one was how clunky the melee combat was. Anyway is the DLC worth a purchase?

LotusHD

Banned
So I just finished original Nier this morning and went directly to Automata, and holy crap. The gameplay difference is insane and very welcome. Thank you based Platinum. The only thing I disliked about the first one was how clunky the melee combat was. Anyway is the DLC worth a purchase?

Not really

Sinistral

So I just finished the game through Route E... and while I enjoyed the game greatly I was expecting a bit more from the story and variety?

*** This is mostly me writing out my thoughts after beating the game and reading/watching stuff on the net as my post-game stew...

I don't know... I played the original Nier: Gestalt way back and remember it vaguely but fondly. Could be nostalgia glasses, but what I do remember was the reveal of shades, and then what they actually were to be a huge resounding force for my enjoyment of the game. The variety and changing gameplay kept me alert. It is the only other Yoko Taro game I've played at this time.

I watched the drakengard to automata videos posted earlier in the thread to wrap my head around the lore and... ok, sure? This video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8xx4sT6rEI) seems to summarize and align with what I was expecting. The lore is fine but the symbolic self-contained story could have been more.

A sequel to Nier:Gestalt with similar tones, meaning and crazy conceptual ideas, with the sublime gameplay expected from Platinum games.

But it never reached the heights of Gestalt. It was a WAY more even game, bringing up the lows. Smoothing out the mids. With glimmers of what could be but only going there occasionally.

The game never got ball-to-the-wall crazy. I think it was the spoiler thread but people were hoping Square Enix's next Nier endeavor would be more grounded. That's the opposite of what I would want to see.

The Amusement park boss on my first play through is the high point for me and what I wanted more of and kept me going seeking for more.

The calculated melee combat, woven into a bullet hell dance. And then you get hacked and thrust jarringly into puzzle shmup. The manifestation of the bosses ideal and story realized in this fucked up world. Revealed in the most obscure ways.

This boss happened 5 hours into the game? By the end of ending E, I clocked 40 hours. And nothing came close to the feeling in this fight.

Then the story... The questions and messages didn't feel significant or intricate. Hardly a build and pay off. Just a slow rising boil with an occasional bubble pop.

There were pokes of AI, self-awareness, growth, origin, meaning. But it didn't seem central in a grander philosophical way. Pascal is definitely my favourite character in the game. His backstory, what happens around him is the most fleshed out.

I thought those themes were going to play and develop throughout the game but they mostly fell off after the A/B endings.

Maybe...
To be revealed that the machines were the new vessels for human souls after the struggle with Repicants, the lines blurred through the thousands years of what was once-humans, self-aware machine/androids and gestalts/replicants.

Sorry this is getting too long, I'll end it here... But perhaps as I try and wrap my head around my thoughts in closing, it seems meaningless. Kind of like what the games story fell towards. A meaningless existence that gets eclipsed by an idea that there's more.

I was reading some articles about the game yesterday and I came across one that essentially said that Taro messed up with Automata because it was a "game about humanity but didn't have humans in it". I couldn't roll my eyes harder.

cj_iwakura

E get. That was certainly a Taro moment.
Or Space Channel 5. Or both.

A wonderful game, but I'm not sure how it rests in the Taro pantheon yet. Definitely the easiest game he's ever been involved with, probably since he had actually competent devs making it(hence he could drink more)... though I kind of miss the frustrating jank of the Cavia era? Like that's part of the charm. Or something.

The game had brilliant concepts and ideas, but the characters and such didn't feel as fleshed out as I'd have liked. Still very happy with it(and Popola/Devola, always a pleasant surprise).

Offhand, I'd say Nier > Drakengard > Drakengard 3 > Automata.
(That probably makes me about as insane as the director.)

Mathematics

Neo Member
Whew. Ending E done.

Elaborate Gadgets though...0/5 for Pod C. 92% done side quests, can't get any more from them. Why did they make it so hard to farm these things?!?!

Whew. Ending E done.

Elaborate Gadgets though...0/5 for Pod C. 92% done side quests, can't get any more from them. Why did they make it so hard to farm these things?!?!

Just because Cavia doesn't exist anymore doesn't mean their spirit doesn't still linger.

And if there's one thing Yoko Taro led Cavia games hate, it's completionists.

Kazuhira

I've just found out that
Adam
will ignore you if you don't attack him,pretty cool if you're struggling with him on Hard or Very Hard.
Put 9S on offensive and let him do the job,just don't get close to him or you could get caught by a attack.

Top Bottom