• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Path of Exile Beta Thread: There Is No Sanctuary in Wraeclast

syko de4d

Man, leap slam + Sweep + Heavy Strike + Ground Slam Melee is Ultra fun. Alot better than the melee i played over one year ago in PoE.
More fun than every melee class every played in this genre :)

TheFatOne

So what kinds of things will be for sale once the game is up? Is there a video or list of items they plan on selling via microtransactions? Since the game is free I don't mind spending money on things like more stash tabs, etc if they are reasonably priced.

Atruvius

I haven't really played top-down ARPG's, only experiences are from Torchlight 1 and 2's demos. I didn't really care for those mainly because I hated the art-style but this game looks exactly the way I want these games to look like.

Can't wait for open beta, though I wouldn't mind if some kind individual gave me a beta key. ;)

Perkel

Banned
So what kinds of things will be for sale once the game is up? Is there a video or list of items they plan on selling via microtransactions? Since the game is free I don't mind spending money on things like more stash tabs, etc if they are reasonably priced.

Cosmetical stuff and easy of use things. Like stash tabs, color and name for those stashes, pets which don't do anything, different skill animations effects, dyes in future.

I remember how i loved my Red pala from D2 (from all those +life) and those crazy weapon colors.

Man, leap slam + Sweep + Heavy Strike + Ground Slam Melee is Ultra fun. Alot better than the melee i played over one year ago in PoE.
More fun than every melee class every played in this genre :)

Are you high level with that build?

I want to do that in OB, but not sure about the Ground Slam "fixes" that my ground slam idea would work.

Do you have a link for your build?

syko de4d

Are you high level with that build?

I want to do that in OB, but not sure about the Ground Slam "fixes" that my ground slam idea would work.

Do you have a link for your build?

lvl 53 right now and i only use Ground Slam for enemies i don´t want to face directly, like skelett mages with 3 Projectil Ice Shots or rares with high ele damage ^^
And my goal is it to have a second good 2hand weapon on my second Weapon Slot with a 5-6 linked Ground Slam.

Most of the time i use the other skills.
Always have Blood Rage and my Endurance Charges Active and use Warlords Mark. Endurance Cry and Warlords Mark with Faster Cast support + 3 Frenzy Charges = very low cast time.

Leap Slam is with Life on Hit, when i spam it and gain alot of HP back and evade many many attacks at the same time.

Heavy Strike for Single Mobs and Sweep most time for AoE.

I hope i can test some maps this WE with it, maybe it sucks than :)

edit: and i must say i have a really OP weapon for my lvl at the moment
kVQ3D0G.png

KKRT00

Wonderful OT, very well done.

This game has come a long way. I remember arguing with KKRT00 back before Diablo III released about how this game wouldn't stand a chance against Blizzard. Now, I have to say that PoE looks to be incredibly awesome, while D3 has left me so very wanting. Hell, the skill tree alone in PoE looks like it's going to be tons of fun to play around with. I'm really looking forward to playing this one now. Hopefully it can finally claim that long sought after crown of the great Diablo II.

Because Diablo III sure isn't going to take that crown. Maybe someday, but not now.

Oh, and KKRT00, I would like to officially apologize to you here in front of everyone. I don't know if PoE will be better than D3, but it sure as hell looks like it's going to be, and I for one will be playing it.

Dont worry, we all make mistakes, i've bought D3 too :p

Perkel

Banned
Dont worry, we all make mistakes, i've bought D3 too :p

Bought for full price straight from blizzard site. I paid 69€ or something like that. Hyped and completely shut for all people talking about it @ neogaf because i didn't want to spoil the fun.
Same with Blizzcons and everything. I just wanted my Diablo 2,5 HD at minimum.

There's an Elemental Adaptation node in the Marauder area that increases all max resistances by 5%, but there's only one of them on the skill tree.

75% is default cap, 95% is absolute maximum. With this skill from passive tree and flask like topaz one you can get 85% and i am pretty sure there is some gear than can give you additional 5% max cap.

Arksy

20 guys from NZ vs 5000 people in Blizzard. It's amazing what a small team has been able to do. Innovate and come up with fresh new ideas in a way that no one else in recent memories has.

I'm awestruck.

Perkel

Banned
20 guys from NZ vs 5000 people in Blizzard. It's amazing what a small team has been able to do. Innovate and come up with fresh new ideas in a way that no one else in recent memories has.

I'm awestruck.

Better. Innovate and keep spirit of diablo2.
It is insane that they achieved that.

Bought for full price straight from blizzard site. I paid 69€ or something like that. Hyped and completely shut for all people talking about it @ neogaf because i didn't want to spoil the fun.
Same with Blizzcons and everything. I just wanted my Diablo 2,5 HD at minimum.

75% is default cap, 95% is absolute maximum. With this skill from passive tree and flask like topaz one you can get 85% and i am pretty sure there is some gear than can give you additional 5% max cap.

Saffrel's Frame gives you +5 and Purity gives you +4 at level 20. I don't know if Inner force can change the +4

Ricker

Damn, Marauder is fun also for single player anyway,If you just want to be the big Tank guy...less aiming like the Witch and Ranger,less holding shift down,less running back a bit,turning and shooting...

Still not sure who my main will be lol...

Perkel

Banned
4 Days 4 Hours. Delated already all my characters like a weak ago. Right now i play it with SimCity4 B2B just for fun.

Are we allowed to post streams? I'm doing some low level ranger gameplay right now if anyone is interested.

Why they would be disallowed ?

I got two beta keys up for grabs for whomever PMs me first (and second, I guess), if they're still in demand.

I've got a bronze kiwi at the moment, and I'm seriously considering upping to a silver. It really wouldn't take much to push me over that edge.

Edit: All gone.

spirity

I'm awestruck.

Two different approaches to the same game -Diablo.

Blizzard drew on what they knew - WoW. Auction houses, enrage timers, achievements, etc. Its still being developed from that angle - the Blizzard playtesters complained that the pvp needs to have rewards and incentives otherwise the players won't be interested. That comes from WoW players, that doesn't come from D2 players. Blizzard is drawing on its experiences with WoW and applying them to Diablo.

Grinding Gear drew on what they knew - Diablo. Its the game they played for many years, and they're huge fans of the genre. GGG is drawing on their experiences with Diablo 2 and applying them to Path of Exile.

PoE is a sequel to Diablo 2, Diablo 3 is a reboot of it. D3 and PoE are fundamentally different because they have two very different starting points.

Anyone playing this on a laptop? , hows the performance from Intel HD 4000 and/or a GT650M ?
I'm playing on a GTS 360M and it looks as good as it can I think...
Man, missed keys from both MMORPG.com and here.
Lemme know if you still need one via PM.

--
Oh, also, regarding my own question from earlier about when the game 'opens up'--I'm going to say it's when you get that sweet LMP drop. =D

My witch is now 27 and shotgunning bitches with Freezing Pulse supported with +Crit Damage and Lesser Multiple Projectiles. Very anxious to see how the other support gems I haven't seen yet fair.

Credo

Blizzard drew on what they knew - WoW. Auction houses, enrage timers, achievements, etc. Its still being developed from that angle - the Blizzard playtesters complained that the pvp needs to have rewards and incentives otherwise the players won't be interested. That comes from WoW players, that doesn't come from D2 players. Blizzard is drawing on its experiences with WoW and applying them to Diablo.

Grinding Gear drew on what they knew - Diablo. Its the game they played for many years, and they're huge fans of the genre. GGG is drawing on their experiences with Diablo 2 and applying them to Path of Exile.

PoE is a sequel to Diablo 2, Diablo 3 is a reboot of it. D3 and PoE are fundamentally different because they have two very different starting points.

Very, very well said

Perkel

Banned

That is the best post about differences between D3 and PoE. And it is actually more deep than that.

I bet most of D3 player who like the game are also WoW fans and they don't mind at all crap loot.

Trying to tell myself to not take one character too far before the reset, but it's too hard.

Is Act 1 too early to say this feels a lot better than Diablo? :lol

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
That is the best post about differences between D3 and PoE. And it is actually more deep than that.

I bet most of D3 player who like the game are also WoW fans and they don't mind at all crap loot.

I play D3, and I play and love WoW, but even I can realize that what spirity posted is dead nuts on the spot. WoW's themes work very well in an MMO environment, but as we've all seen they do not work well at all in an ARPG / Diablo type game. In fact, they ruined it mostly.

And while I still do play D3 sometimes, about once a week or less for a bit, for contrast a year after I bought Diablo II the damn game was consuming every bit of my free time. I couldn't put it down, and I played the hell out of that game for 11 years. I get bored of D3 after one night of it today.

But yes, spirity's post nails it. PoE looks to be a proper follow up to D2, and if it plays as well as my impressions of it now are, then I may be shelving D3 very soon for a very long time. Honestly, I'd almost rather play D2 right now than D3, even with it's non scaling graphics and clunky interface.

Credo

I liked D3, though not as well as I hoped. My "like" for D3 just didn't extend for as long as my love for D2, which lasted for years. And yes, the loot along with the AH, is part of why I didn't ever love it I think.

BurningNad

Just plopped down $10 to play, I didn't want to wait a week, lol. I'm curious though, is there a way to create a build similar to a skelemancer (or summonancer if you will) in D2? Are minions viable in this game?

Just plopped down $10 to play, I didn't want to wait a week, lol. I'm curious though, is there a way to create a build similar to a skelemancer (or summonancer if you will) in D2? Are minions viable in this game?

Yes, but they take some investment and are weak early on. They can be ineffective against some enemy types so make sure you have a backup skill. Totem support is also essential as it is for any class.

mileS

Word. Why would you ever play Softcore in a game like this? The suspense/thrill is a huge part of it for me, at least.

I honestly never understood these arguments. What makes this game different from any other game you die? The random nature of it makes it even worse. It is possible to get stuck on something in the environment, have server lag or a DC completely screw you over.

I'm not saying I don't understand why people play this mode. I do. I see the appeal. I guess I get sick of these types of players "looking down" on the others. Calling them pansies or simply saying why would anyone want to play softcore? I'd rather play softcore because I like to experiment and push my limits. I'm also the type of player that gets interrupted quite a bit (important phone calls for work, having to leave last minute to help family out, lots of getting up and letting the game sit there until I get back) I wouldn't dare to say I'm the only one like that, or that hardcore players also don't have those problems. I'm just saying its one of the many reasons I feel I would rather not.

jersoc

I got two beta keys up for grabs for whomever PMs me first (and second, I guess), if they're still in demand.

I've got a bronze kiwi at the moment, and I'm seriously considering upping to a silver. It really wouldn't take much to push me over that edge.

Edit: All gone.

i did it. i figured it was more supporting GGG than anything. I'm a sucker for pets so I'll know i'll get a few of them when they get released. Also some of the cosmo stuff like glows and different spell affects.

Anyone know how much these Points will be sold for once open beta starts ?

I'm just wondering if they're currently cheaper if you buy them now with one of the support packs, or if 10 points is 1$ for sure.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoshi!!! While you were recharging I snagged a beta key!!! I'm all installed and ready to go!!!
Fantastic! How are you liking it so far :3?

Yoshichan's legendary item will be the one I'll want the most. I don't care what it is. I'll probably give away stupid things to have one.

injurai

Banned
Fantastic! How are you liking it so far :3?

It's incredible. The world feels dark and dangerous, and the items aren't complete shit. Still getting used to some of the mechanics like gems and item based currency. But I feel every design decision was a step in the right direction. You don't feel like you are farming, you feel like you are wading up a stream full of golden salmon. Oh lordy the bounty!!!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
It's incredible. The world feels dark and dangerous, and the items aren't complete shit. Still getting used to some of the mechanics like gems and item based currency. But I feel every design decision was a step in the right direction. You don't feel like you are farming, you feel like you are wading up a stream full of golden salmon. Oh lordy the bounty!!!
I'm so happy that you're enjoying it :D We should totally play with each other come open beta (a few weeks in, at least)!

Top Bottom