• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

ElRenoRaven

Downloaded and installed the demo, will play it tonight. This thread is too long to read, what's the verdict on the game so far?

Have you played past ones? If so then buy it. If you haven't and you like the demo and can get used to the controls then buy it. Old school fans should find the controls pretty simple cause they're pretty much what we've had for years minus a few tweaks.

Supposedly the SP AI is supposed to have them all gang up on you.

MP matchmaking is broken though. Haven't been able to connect once.

Riposte

Matchmaking errors drive me crazy, but I managed to get some games in. I'm virtually undefeated in Deathmatch lol, well, actually I went something like 10/1, but that loss was me being heavily distracted outside the game. Nuke on the other hand I haven't really come to understand. I get a lot of kills in it, but when I tried to sacrifice a leader I ended up driving so poorly that I couldn't do it before dying lol. Also I wonder if Meat Wagon is overpowered and doing a lot of the work for me (not that I can't kill other Meat Wagon players). The special weapon is key for disrupting enemies from attacking me and getting them from afar. Alt version is useless though. Stealing kills seems to be key in this game. I use Shield a lot and Mines only when I'm close to death and am being followed down a narrow path (like up the hospital). Using turbo into turbo recharges also makes thing go a lot faster.

I have the feeling that if they managed to get this in the hands of many Call of Duty players they'll sell a shitload of copies.

Personally I'm worried about unlocks being dumb.

EDIT: Also I'm noticing that I constantly start at the same spot while in a room, over several matches.

I've been able to connect every time I turn it on with no more than 5 attempts. Sucks for the people that haven't been online yet as it really comes alive there.

ElDiablo90x

Neo Member
Has the cut content from the EU version been specified? If it's too much, I'd much prefer buying a US copy (hopefully they'll put a version of it in US-PSN). Great demo though. I loved the AI difficulty once I got used to the controls. Hopefully it'll be this challenging in the final game.

Mikey Jr.

You mean some games might not work at launch? Shocking!

Its not about not working, its about the length of time it is taking to fix.

Online essentially does not work. It has now been close to 48 hours that it has been broken (I would not be surprised if it is not fixed today). I'm not blaming Jaffe, but if it is taking this long to fix MM, what happens if during retail the servers go down? Going to take a week?

I guess I'm upset because I had 3 days off from work Tuesday and was so hyped to play TM online. Now I'm going back to work tomorrow for 7 days, and of course the demo will be taken offline.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Also I wonder if Meat Wagon is overpowered and doing a lot of the work for me (not that I can't kill other Meat Wagon players). The special weapon is key for disrupting enemies from attacking me and getting them from afar. Alt version is useless though.

The alt version isn't useless, it does like 50 more damage. Just don't try to use it to chase someone because you'll never catch up to them.

Jesus, what will happen if the retail game comes out and online doesn't work?

Another 48 hours of "soon"?

Who knows, maybe? Is that going to kill you? Have some patience; game development is a complicated thing, networking hundreds of thousands of people worldwide even more so. They're going to get it right.

ElRenoRaven

Its not about not working, its about the length of time it is taking to fix.

Online essentially does not work. It has now been close to 48 hours that it has been broken (I would not be surprised if it is not fixed today). I'm not blaming Jaffe, but if it is taking this long to fix MM, what happens if during retail the servers go down? Going to take a week?

I guess I'm upset because I had 3 days off from work Tuesday and was so hyped to play TM online. Now I'm going back to work tomorrow for 7 days, and of course the demo will be taken offline.

Well that's Sony for you. They tend to be a bit slower at getting things fixed. I have no doubt that they're learning from this though. I look for retail to not have this issue. It will probably be something else breaking retail. j/k

Maybe I'm lucky but the matchmaking error was never a big issue for me. It would come up, I'd click join again 20 seconds later, it would come up again, I'd hit join again, and then it usually worked for me on the 2nd, 3rd try. Sucks if some of you aren't getting in at all. Game is a blaaaast.

The alt version isn't useless, it does like 50 more damage. Just don't try to use it to chase someone because you'll never catch up to them.

Don't run it into someone (even though you get a damage bonus). Detonate it remotely and use it as a disruptor for someone trying to make a sacrifice in Nuke (As it has increased knockback with the detonation) or if you see a pile up of two or three cars trying to take each other out (especially ones doing the ol' Christain Sidehug and hammering the machine gun button on each other)

Meat Wagon is a huge target though and Reaper players are going to ruin your day if they have a powered up chainsaw. Ditto Darkside players if you are in range of their ram. And it handles like a wagon (hah) so your gonna suffer in close up duels. Use it as a range car and you should do well with it.

ElRenoRaven

Maybe I'm lucky but the matchmaking error was never a big issue for me. It would come up, I'd click join again 20 seconds later, it would come up again, I'd hit join again, and then it usually worked for me on the 2nd, 3rd try. Sucks if some of you aren't getting in at all. Game is a blaaaast.

It's been very hit or miss with me. First night I got maybe 3 games. Yesterday I played a good 3 hours that morning and then never got in again till late last night for a couple hours. I haven't tried today. I know I'm buying it and I love it so I'm being nice and trying to not increase the server load on them. I'm good until release day.

Mikey Jr.

Seems to be affecting some people more than others.

Me, for instance, have not been able to play at all.

I just tried clicking DM 20 times in a row while surfing gaf about 10 minutes ago. Each and everytime "Matchmaking error"

Then I tried nuke 20 times (yes, I count every time), "Matchmaking error".

Overall, I must have tried about 150 times. I have never gotten into a game.

I have no problems with any other online game. I have no idea why it works for some, but for others, no.

Any word on the MP portion of the demo being extended a few days due to all the connection issues?

Wow it really should be, I didn't realize this demo was intended to be of a short duration. I figured it would be going until well after the retail game went on sale.

I haven't been able to connect at all. It's not for lack of trying.

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of a button to look behind you? While it feels so much cooler to do a quick 180 and then drive backwards, I'd really like a button for rear view.

I wish these connection issues didn't exist for so many people. I have a match after like 2-3 tries each time, the online is great btw, for those wondering.

ElRenoRaven

Am I the only one bothered by the lack of a button to look behind you? While it feels so much cooler to do a quick 180 and then drive backwards, I'd really like a button for rear view.

Probably not. I mean there is bound to be someone else bothered by it. Me though it doesn't bother me. Usually the missles, bullets, etc from behind tend to give it away that someone's behind me. The radar also tends to do that too.

Yes, it's obvious when someone is chasing you, but how can you expect to hit them with backwards fire if you cannot see behind you? It makes the ability to fire behind you less useful.

Mikey Jr.

Yes, it's obvious when someone is chasing you, but how can you expect to hit them with backwards fire if you cannot see behind you? It makes the ability to fire behind you less useful.

Many of the missiles track the bad guys anyways when you back fire.

Atleast thats been my experience.

Riposte

Don't run it into someone (even though you get a damage bonus). Detonate it remotely and use it as a disruptor for someone trying to make a sacrifice in Nuke (As it has increased knockback with the detonation) or if you see a pile up of two or three cars trying to take each other out (especially ones doing the ol' Christain Sidehug and hammering the machine gun button on each other)

Meat Wagon is a huge target though and Reaper players are going to ruin your day if they have a powered up chainsaw. Ditto Darkside players if you are in range of their ram. And it handles like a wagon (hah) so your gonna suffer in close up duels. Use it as a range car and you should do well with it.

In my experience I can send Darkside users into the air with the special and take off a lot of their health while they recover. Reapers (motorcycles, right?) I just destroy within seconds, especially if I can ram them with a turbo.

Supposedly the SP AI is supposed to have them all gang up on you.

Aah, that sucks. Strangely, something that Twisted MEtal 2 got right that basically no other games since (maybe TM:Black, but none of the Vigilante games, etc), was that AI cars still fought each other, and didn't just hunt you out. It was one of the better aspects of the game, allowing you to play defensively, find a spot and guard it, and let everybody else beat and batter each other... But then, somehow, they lost that mechanic, and it became 8 against 1 in future games... Which is how a lot of games are, but it removed a lot of the implicit strategy from the TM games.

Shady859

Glad to see i'm not the only one who can't play online, I just DL'ed it last night and thought it was me...

I was looking forward to getting this but after playing SP i'm not so sure. I think the memories are better than the actual game.

SykoTech

Got a grip on the controls now (and where the Health Packs are). Putting a beatdown on this broken AI and it feels good.

Still can't go online though. :/

Bollocks

My new slim arrived today, full of joy because I have a working PS3 again I open the PlayStation Store only to discover that it's under maintenance, since 8h
*rage* They couldn't have done the maintenance while I was without a PS3

gibration

You have your radar. Missiles still track when shot from behind and weapons like napalm can be seen on your radar.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I fired it up... Reading about the continued matchmaking issues. Couldn't connect.
After the 8th try or so I got in and 5 people with headsets when someone asks:

"So what do you all think about the game?"
and everyone saying how they like it.

One said "I like how they didn't casualize it" and I had to chuckle. :-D

I didn't post earlier, but I'm having an absolute blast. Have not played singleplayer yet but the last 3 days I've played 30 minutes every day and it was great.

Owensboro

Aah, that sucks. Strangely, something that Twisted MEtal 2 got right that basically no other games since (maybe TM:Black, but none of the Vigilante games, etc), was that AI cars still fought each other, and didn't just hunt you out. It was one of the better aspects of the game, allowing you to play defensively, find a spot and guard it, and let everybody else beat and batter each other... But then, somehow, they lost that mechanic, and it became 8 against 1 in future games... Which is how a lot of games are, but it removed a lot of the implicit strategy from the TM games.

So....I could be completely wrong here.... but I'm betting that because it's a "Challenge" mode it's supposed to be tuned as a challenge of 6 vs 1. I wouldn't use it to judge the AI in the single player, as we haven't even seen a single player level yet.

It's 6 Vs 1, not a free for all with the AI.

r.gun

Neo Member
Honestly, the more I play around with the demo the more fun I find myself having. I'm always in the top 3 now and have a really good handle on where things are in the map. Boosting up to someone with low health and getting an up close and personal shotgun blast on them for the kill never gets old!

prwxv3

In my experience I can send Darkside users into the air with the special and take off a lot of their health while they recover. Reapers (motorcycles, right?) I just destroy within seconds, especially if I can ram them with a turbo.

A good Reaper player is monster. the lower end cars can be one-hit killed with flaming chainsaw and the other cars can be destroyed by a couple missiles after the flaming chainsaw. Always save your side weapon (freeze gun, mine, shield) for freeze ray with the reaper. only use the shield if you see a darkside turbo ram, flaming chainsaw, or when you have the leader in nuke mode.

Just to put something into perspective with the SP challenge mode and people claiming it tough as balls (it is and takes some perseverance to get through)

In the normal SP game (not challenge mode) you'll be given three cars (lives) to get through a map. At most (as far as I remember) there were 6 enemies to fight.

I've only been able to play the single player but damn it's fantastic brings back some real old school gameplay. So tired of fps and action games nice to see something different.

Rattles

A good Reaper player is monster. the lower end cars can be one-hit killed with flaming chainsaw and the other cars can be destroyed by a couple missiles after the flaming chainsaw. Always save your side weapon (freeze gun, mine, shield) for freeze ray with the reaper. only use the shield if you see a darkside turbo ram, flaming chainsaw, or when you have the leader in nuke mode.

Yep lol I feel alittle cheap though, I always run away to the high school then scan for my next target. Talons are easy prey and a lone darkside is a fun risk/reward battle.

Top Bottom