• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PoliGAF 2012 Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll say what he's always said: he was solving a problem specific to Massachusetts as their governor, but that he never believed it was ideal for the entire country. It's horseshit, but it's what he'll say.

It doesn't fly, and for some reason no one has really zeroed in on it except for Santorum in the last debate. You can be damn sure the Obama campaign will crystallize this in the general.

The cornerstone of the GOP effort to oust Obama is repealing the health care bill. Romney has to go after it, except his attack is nonsensical. This is why the party can barely bring itself to nominate him.

All he's got is a sluggish economy. And if it's no longer sluggish by November then there doesn't really need to be an election.

Jackson50

Isn't a basic tenant of whether you want the incumbent out be that you're okay with the person replacing him? I agree your argument is Newt's best hope, but at the end of the day, I'm guessing the anti-Newt sentiment is enough for independents to ignore whatever anti-Obama sentiment is there. Just my thinking, though.
Precisely. The problem with that premise is Gingrich would actually diminish the focus on Obama. He may excel at throwing the most invective punches. But a candidate with his sordid past and foibles would distract the electorate.
Wow he is that far ahead in the polls?
Yes. His position is approximate to where he was in NH. This should not be close.
Given the state of the economy, wouldn't Obama being tied in swing states at this point - before the general has even started - be a good thing? :p

Besides, aggregated 'swing state' polls are not especially useful, state breakouts are needed. General election polling in general won't solidify until the primary is over.

Thanks for the comments, Flying_Phoenix.
Yes. Thank you. I posted a similar response yesterday when someone else posted that poll.

. I posted a similar response yesterday when someone else posted that poll.

That "someone" is me. I have a name J50.

About Romney's answers to Obamacare in the general:
1. The Supreme Court may strike down the individual mandate leaving it an easy answer for Romney.
2. When brought up in a debate, Obama is in a weaker position than Romney. Obamacare is unpopular. He just has to outline all the problems he sees with it (cuts in Medicare), which he has already done many times.

It doesn't fly, and for some reason no one has really zeroed in on it except for Santorum in the last debate. You can be damn sure the Obama campaign will crystallize this in the general.

The cornerstone of the GOP effort to oust Obama is repealing the health care bill. Romney has to go after it, except his attack is nonsensical. This is why the party can barely bring itself to nominate him.

All he's got is a sluggish economy. And if it's no longer sluggish by November then there doesn't really need to be an election.

What kills me about the Santorum exchange is how Romney said, "Look, this is nothing to get angry about." A competent debater would have had Romney booed off the stage after making such a blunder!

benjipwns

Banned
Drudge says Romney won Florida:
"SOURCES: NETS TO CALL ROMNEY WINNER AT 8 PM ET; NEARING MAJORITY OF VOTES

SOURCES, EXIT POLLS 6 PM ET: 49% ROMNEY 33% GINGRICH 11% SANTORUM 6% PAUL..."

EDIT: He just changed the headline to:
"MITT 52% NEWT 26% RICK 12% RON 8%"

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

OUCH.

Jackson50

That "someone" is me. I have a name J50.
You watching MSU kill Illinois tonight?

Not to be a ninny, but primary discussion should go in the primary thread.

benjipwns

Banned
Oh didn't see it, didn't go enough pages back. My fault.

Will post current results to bump the thread so others see it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gingrich is incredibly desperate:

http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/31/g...forced-holocaust-survivors-to-eat-non-kosher/
A robocall has been circulating throughout Florida charging former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney with forcing Holocaust survivors in a nursing home to eat non-kosher meals. (Transcript as follows):

As governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney vetoed a bill paying for kosher food for our seniors in nursing homes — Holocaust survivors, who for the first time were forced to eat non-kosher, because Romney thought $5 was too much to pay for our grandparents to eat kosher. Where is Mitt Romney’s compassion for our seniors? Tuesday you can end Mitt Romney’s hypocrisy on religious freedom with a vote for Newt Gingrich. Paid for by Newt 2012.

Gingrich campaign spokesman R.C. Hammond confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that the campaign paid for the robocall. He declined to comment further.

Well guys I'm not far from getting my own on campus radio show. Just filled out my application and about two weeks or so I will be in chat with the head honchos.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Well guys I'm not far from getting my own on campus radio show. Just filled out my application and about two weeks or so I will be in chat with the head honchos.

When you get regular air time, I can come on and do a "Conservative Minute." I will bring the house down by condescending to everyone!! Oh Yeah!!

No this is good news, especially so early. Lets put it this way, if the best Romney can do is be neck and neck with Obama when Obama has done little to nothing on campaigning, then he is in a good position.

except neck and neck means republican poltians just have to pass some voter ID laws to "fix" voter fraud and then the romney superPAC could use unlimited corporate funding to make every ad you see for the next six months an attack on obama.

Not to mention that when democrats don't like their candidate they vote less but when republicans don't like their candidate they get fear-mongered into voting. When Lieberman lost in the 2006 primary, you had many conservatives convincing their viewers and listeners to vote for Lieberman instead of the republican candidate just to keep the seat from going blue.

That's about as scum baggy as assuming I would defend that, asshole.

You defend Newt on quite a bit. Dont get mad at me for assuming you'd defend this too. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror to see why you defend what you do regarding Newt. Oh, I forgot, you dont need to research what you believe. My bad.

gcubed

except neck and neck means republican poltians just have to pass some voter ID laws to "fix" voter fraud and then the romney superPAC could use unlimited corporate funding to make every ad you see for the next six months an attack on obama.

Not to mention that when democrats don't like their candidate they vote less but when republicans don't like their candidate they get fear-mongered into voting. When Lieberman lost in the 2006 primary, you had many conservatives convincing their viewers and listeners to vote for Lieberman instead of the republican candidate just to keep the seat from going blue.

Trump will save us all. He will help take any and all doubt away from the fact that obama has 4 more years

You defend Newt on quite a bit. Dont get mad at me for assuming you'd defend this too. Perhaps you should take a look in the mirror to see why you defend what you do regarding Newt. Oh, I forgot, you dont need to research what you believe. My bad.

Damn you got me! I'm not saying what I like about Newt for the 50th time man.

Half the shit you posted was either you exaggerating or Newt pandering to get votes.

Newt is obviously a bit of a scum bag, like all politicians.

Damn you got me! I'm not saying what I like about Newt for the 50th time man.

Half the shit you posted was either you exaggerating or Newt pandering to get votes.

I asked how you differentiate what he actually believes in and what hes using for pandering but you haven't responded to that question.

GhaleonEB

If anyone was worried (or for Democrats, optimistic) about the Oregon's 1st Congressional district election, where David Wu resigned after his sex scandal...

http://oregonvotes.org/results/2012S/index.html

...the Democrat won by 18 points.

This was my district, and we voted for her. Glad so see she won.

I tend not to pick nits, but:

Newt it is not a bit of a scumbag, he's a total scumbag. And while many politicians are also, few rise (drop?) to Newt's level. You can't simply brush off his scumbaggery as being common to all politicians; Newt is in a rare, virulently scummy class.

Jackson50

The public is split on the PPACA in the aggregate. But specific provisions enjoy broad support. The exchanges, Medicare expansion, and subsidies for low-income families are popular provisions; the individual mandate is the only consistently disfavored provision. Democrats should promote specific provisions if they hope to benefit politically from the bill. Otherwise, the comprehensive bill is perceived as an incredibly complex, multi-stage process with few identifiable causal mechanisms; it's a big idea, if you will. Highlighting specific provisions would circumvent the problem.

Good thing it's here to stay.

How can it stay before it has arrived?

Trump will save us all. He will help take any and all doubt away from the fact that obama has 4 more years

But you can't deny the fact that conservatives will vote for whoever the talk show hosts tell them to vote for. Unlike democrats, it's nearly impossible to make crazy republicans no longer motivated to vote.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What a turd shoveling little garbage spanker he is. And he's still not the worst one.

Odd...that doesn't sound like Newt.

Don't want to sound misogynistic or anything, but that is one ugly woman with a terrible voice to boot. Every time she comes on I just have to change it.

Her ugliness would have been more forgivable if she wasn't such a ditz. She's horrible in interveiws. Dems shoulda picked somebody a little more intelligent and articulate for DNC chair.

This was my district, and we voted for her. Glad so see she won.

I tend not to pick nits, but:

Newt it is not a bit of a scumbag, he's a total scumbag. And while many politicians are also, few rise (drop?) to Newt's level. You can't simply brush off his scumbaggery as being common to all politicians; Newt is in a rare, virulently scummy class.

Ok, I'm not saying this is possible, but is it possible that he has changed, or gotten better? Or take Newt out of this. Is it possible for a politician to change like that?

gcubed

How can it stay before it has arrived?

But you can't deny the fact that conservatives will vote for whoever the talk show hosts tell them to vote for. Unlike democrats, it's nearly impossible to make crazy republicans no longer motivated to vote.

Florida turnout was down 10%.

Tim-E

Romney: ‘I’m not concerned with the very poor’ http://t.co/Jhg7k9ns

LOL this guy just can't help himself. He would feel incomplete if he went a week without giving the democrats ammunition for the general.

Don't want to sound misogynistic or anything, but that is one ugly woman with a terrible voice to boot. Every time she comes on I just have to change it.

She's at least tolerable compared to the lying scumbag on the republican side, Reince Priebus. I want to throw something at the tv every time he's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom