• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

It'll hurt for me if they do it again... I've spent nearly 300 hours in basically a 300LY range, so I like the way my neighbourhood looks. I'm rather attached to systems and planets, and especially attached to my home planet. I got lucky in that in 1.3 it didn't really change but had it changed it would probably turn me off quite a lot. It kinda sucks that my starter planet was changed, and most of my Discoveries all have inaccurate POI photos now.

Hopefully they never regenerate again and if they want to improve biomes, just improve them -- don't reseed, too. So if you want to improve the types of desert biomes, then just have current desert biome 'change' into one of the new ones. Why randomly reseed it into a toxic planet? Or if planets get multiple biomes, they keep the current biome as the dominant at least. Gotta be a better way to improve biomes without randomly turning people's home planets into something totally different.

I mean, it's not a big deal, and if there's no other way and benefits are worth it, then I guess. But it's also a pretty big negative for people attached to their home planets and with vested months -- and tens of millions of units -- into those existing planets.

I think this is a hard problem for HG. On one hand, Sean's game concept revolved around constantly moving, exploring the near-limitless amount of planets out there, and continual improvements to the game that would require universe resets. On the other hand, they had to add base building because a passionate contingent of the fans they had left after launch were basically wanting a Minecraft experience. So they put in base building and the Creative mode to keep them happy. But now they have a supported playstyle -- nesting in one planet/system -- that is at odds with their original goal of tearing up the universe often to provide an improved game.

For me, I'll always chose improvements over keeping the status quo, but I can see how for those that want to roleplay with their base, or just grew attached to certain planets, it would be disruptive or feeling like the game world they loved had been taken from them.

From what I've understood of their proc gen algorithms, changing a value can have cascading effects on unrelated values, so I'm not sure targeted updates could work. It's possible they might be able to limit updates to certain biomes, but in the case of 1.3 they changed the whole universe and distribution of biomes in it, so a reset was inevitable. If they added a new biome in the future, they'd have to do the same thing. If they overhauled the fauna, maybe not. I'm not sure.

E92 M3

It'll hurt for me if they do it again... I've spent nearly 300 hours in basically a 300LY range, so I like the way my neighbourhood looks. I'm rather attached to systems and planets, and especially attached to my home planet. I got lucky in that in 1.3 it didn't really change but had it changed it would probably turn me off quite a lot. It kinda sucks that my starter planet was changed, and most of my Discoveries all have inaccurate POI photos now.

Hopefully they never regenerate again and if they want to improve biomes, just improve them -- don't reseed, too. So if you want to improve the types of desert biomes, then just have current desert biome 'change' into one of the new ones. Why randomly reseed it into a toxic planet? Or if planets get multiple biomes, they keep the current biome as the dominant at least. Gotta be a better way to improve biomes without randomly turning people's home planets into something totally different.

I mean, it's not a big deal, and if there's no other way and benefits are worth it, then I guess. But it's also a pretty big negative for people attached to their home planets and with vested months -- and tens of millions of units -- into those existing planets.

I've grown attached to my "neighborhood" as well. Found this amazing snow planet that I don't want to leave. Might make it my home planet, but I don't want to abandon the beautiful moon.

Dunkelgrau

Hey GAF, I need your advice. I’m not sure about dropping the game or not.

I started with 1.3 – never played NMS before. I’m now at the point, where you have to do quests for the scientist to contact Artemis or something. My base is very small at the moment, I’ve only got three rooms.

The game is not bad at all, but it’s pretty much the same all the time: Searching for a specific component to build a specific component to build a specific component. I’m not very interested in scanning aliens and all this.

So will there be any “twist” or new gameplay elements in the next few hours? Otherwise I’m done.

]blacky[;248180783 said:
Hey GAF, I need your advice. I’m not sure about dropping the game or not.

I started with 1.3 – never played NMS before. I’m now at the point, where you have to do quests for the scientist to contact Artemis or something. My base is very small at the moment, I’ve only got three rooms.

The game is not bad at all, but it’s pretty much the same all the time: Searching for a specific component to build a specific component to build a specific component. I’m not very interested in scanning aliens and all this.

So will there be any “twist” or new gameplay elements in the next few hours? Otherwise I’m done.

The story after you get past the base missions (which admittedly are boring and best just to power through them) is pretty interesting IMO. But in terms of gameplay elements, nothing new is added. Either you get into exploring planets, or getting into space battles, or farming, or trading, or some combination of those. If none of those gameplay elements are fun to you, then maybe the game isn't your kind of thing (at the moment..they will continue to add new features over time).

I feel you on the heavy crafting emphasis to the game, it's my least favorite aspect. But the draw of exploring planets, RPing as a space trader, and getting into space battles keeps me coming back.

Widge

I’ve spent an entire day farting about in a two planet system. One is a toxic shithole where I can only go outside for a minute. The other is irradiated but coated in emerald stuff.

Now I have a slightly broken A class ship, a stupidly huge gun with a billion slots. Just plodding around doing some of the new story stuffs.

I’d like to go all base buildy at some point too. Now I’ve got some capacity, it should be easier.

Widge

So, to earn money I am basically mining the fuck out of precious metals and then selling them.

I'm assuming that there is a better way to trade than this though. Is there a concept of a trade route in this? Or even something as basic as OG Elite's "take agricultural stuff to tech system, take computers to farming system" mechanic here?

I do wish warp fuel wasn't such a pain in the arse to make. 4 lots of crafting isn't it? Although teleporter is pretty useful. I'm not sure about how things end up on the selection of places to warp to but there were a good few options when I was on it last night.

I wish I hadn't already uploaded my system my base is in. I'd love to rename them to something a bit more personal.

Might search for a new home world but this system is preeeetty nice.

Yeah, there's a trade system with different economy types (and unique items to each) that can buy/sell for high/medium/low in different economy types. There' are also craft items that you can either buy or craft and re-sell elsewhere. Farming crops can also be sold or used to craft high profit items. The economy has a basic system, too, where items have finite quantities and selling causes item prices to decrease.

This results in most of the best money making methods to be trade related. Lots of good videos on Youtube if you want more specifics but also make sure check if they're for versions 1.37 or 1.38 because NMS has had its trading mechanics changed quite frequently.

I wish there was an overhead version of the galaxy map to compare placements of discovered systems. I went through a portal and then got teleported elsewhere for narrative reasons, and now I’m apparently 1.3 million light years from the portal planet. I didn’t even think galaxies were that big.

Edit: oh, the mini-map in the corner does show your current position in the galaxy sphere, it just doesn’t show targeted systems.

Top Bottom