• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Evil Within 2 / Psycho Break 2 in production

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

T.O.P

Banned
Not a fan of the first game but i apprecciated some ideas and concept that Mikami put into it

Quite curious to see how this shapes up

Hell yes. The Evil Within was incredibly underrated imo. Thought it was really great. I played PC so I didn't have the tech issues consoles apparently suffered, though.

Honestly, a better engine and steady framerate.

It's around level 2-4 that there were times it was headache inducing.

The rest of the game is not that bad, but yeah that part was hard to get through.

awesome! stoked as hell.

first game was great, but definitely room for improvement particularly on the story and presentation side of things

JayEH

Psycho break is such a better name. Good ideas in the first game but expect a better product overall this time.

Wasn't this game supposed to be announced at E3 last year? Or were all those rumors wrong.

Still, going to be really interesting to see how this ends up in a post-RE7 world. I really liked the first game (most of the time), so I'm there day 1.

Finally played the first one towards the end of last year and really enjoyed it. I feel there's a legitimate GOTY contender in there if they build on it. Also won't have the shackles of last gen consoles

And Psycho Break>>>>The Evil Within

I want:

Better technical performance (no more shitty engines)
No more goddamn black bars
A way to change my FOV without hacks ffs
Get rid of the annoying one hit kill bomb traps

Dsyndrome

Awesome, some parts in the EW1 were not great (city) but still enjoyed it. Also hoping for more horror, but not everyone's looking for that.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
The game did well enough that a sequel makes sense, but not well enough that giving the studio carte blanche on what to work on makes sense.

I would say it's almost assured.

Brhoom

Banned
I hope it's ten times better than the original.

Because the first one was the most bland, unoriginal horror game I've played in years.

Jawmuncher

I think this is pretty likely. Despite being quiet, Bethesda still seems to have plans for TEW as a franchise. I just hope for two things mainly from the sequel.

Better Performance - It's fine on PC now, but at launch was a bit of a mess. The consoles versions were even worse and are even now in that regard. If this uses idtech again, I hope there's more help in a smoother experience. Doom ran well on everything (including Xbox one) so there's hope there.

More focused ideas - I love Shinji Mikami, but TEW felt like a pot of game ideas he's had for a long time and just dumped them all into one game. I felt the game was all over the place, so hopefully it has a bit more focus in all regards for a tighter expiernce. Especially with the story.

Anung

Un Rama
Hell yeah. The Evil Within wasn't perfect by any means but I enjoyed it and it felt like the solid bases for a really good sequel.

Diancecht

Maybe it will run faster than 20fps this time.

Don't forget the cinematic black bars.

evilwithinrdsld.jpg

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

There was a run of chapters maybe like 6-10 that were absolutely fantastic. More of that less of the enemies with guns that ruined the later chapters for me

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Evil Within was a hodgepodge mess of conflicting game design ideals awkwardly mashed together in a complete mess of an engine.

It could be salvaged into something cool but they'd need to overhaul quite a bit.

Kudo

I think I saw some video about Boost Mode on PS4 Pro making the fps much more stable. So if you haven't played the game yet, own Pro but no PC I'd definitely recommend it, can probably find it cheap nowadays.

Pooya

Hopefully they could break away from idtech trash and just licensed some common 3rd party engine instead. Dishonored 2 was rubbish too, this forced idtech movement by Bethesda is just hurting their games... Prey is somehow Cryengine, I guess there is a chance.

keep idtech limited to id ips please...

Brhoom

Banned
I think this is pretty likely. Despite being quiet, Bethesda still seems to have plans for TEW as a franchise. I just hope for two things mainly from the sequel.

Better Performance - It's fine on PC now, but at launch was a bit of a mess. The consoles versions were even worse and are even now in that regard. If this uses idtech again, I hope there's more help in a smoother experience. Doom ran well on everything (including Xbox one) so there's hope there.

More focused ideas - I love Shinji Mikami, but TEW felt like a pot of game ideas he's had for a long time and just dumped them all into one game. I felt the game was all over the place, so hopefully it has a bit more focus in all regards for a tighter expiernce. Especially with the story

THANK YOU!!!

Did the original sell well?

yes - it broke records until i forget which but another horror game released soon after...until dying light maybe?

I think I saw some video about Boost Mode on PS4 Pro making the fps much more stable. So if you haven't played the game yet, own Pro but no PC I'd definitely recommend it, can probably find it cheap nowadays.

I played it last year i think on a standard ps4 and it was 100% fine and dandy playable

day one.
Fire the people responsible for player control/animations and the camera and your halfway to a great sequel.
First game had so much amazing potential but was almost ruined with janky controls and animations which were only made worse with the bad camera.

Bring back the greatest catchphrase!
tumblr_netadpykdk1rdrzuxo2_400.gif

tumblr_ndwef0zGBu1rzdwsno3_500.gif

And save music, clair de la lune...

Personally I loved how schizophrenic the game's aesthetics were. Made it feel unpredictable and dangerous! Never knew what form the next chapter would be taking.

Hopefully they can somehow even improve on the psychological horror elements.

I think they did a great job in the first game.

Gator86

Somewhere in The Evil Within I sensed the seed of a good game. Let's see if they can deliver this time.

Yup, at it's best, it was amazing. Unfortunately, those moments were trapped under lots of shit. Astoundingly uneven title. Maybe this one won't be a slideshow running with a foot of wasted screen on the top and bottom of the screen.

Kudo

I played it last year i think on a standard ps4 and it was 100% fine and dandy playable

I played it on release on OG PS4 too and it's definitely playable, but drops down to 20fps in certain areas, not sure how much of that was fixed in patches though.

Top Bottom