• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: Oath in Felghana added to the Steam registry

Zizbuka

Banned
Only ever played Ark of Napishtim (not sure of spelling) on PSP. How does this play compared? Not looking for better/worse, just the gameplay. I liked Ark, so if it looks/plays similarly I'm in.

cj_iwakura

Only ever played Ark of Napishtim (not sure of spelling) on PSP. How does this play compared? Not looking for better/worse, just the gameplay. I liked Ark, so if it looks/plays similarly I'm in.

Falcom love the PC, and love the PSP because it was so easy to port their PC games to.

Teknoman

Hey man, the credits are pretty hard to translate! That will take like a day! SHEESH!

Though, to be serious, the majority of work was probably much more about publishing and distribution plans.

On topic, I love Ys III so far as I am playing it on the PSP, but I hope there is something extra in the package that would warrant double dipping (JP VO track would be nice).

Edit: I think Ys 3 is probably first because it both is arguably the best Ys game (at least with a modern translation) and is an amazing package (VO, both original and remixed OST, great gameplay).

I think the PC version increase in resolution alone would be worth it. Also 60 fps. Aeana says the PC version of Ys 1&2 isnt as good as the PSP complete version since the res is stuck at 640x480 or something. So that is probably a good reason for not featuring that game (unless there is another version).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_m0cn3adp2q1qltdtkb9.gif

Fuck Last Story

Eusis

Definitely double dipping. I wonder why Oath would be first though?
Probably the easiest of the Ys games to deal with since the PSP version of I & II on PC is a joke of a port, Ys VI was done by Konami, and Ys Seven isn't even ON PC yet and likely the Chinese port will be subpar and need to be done over anyway. That, and it will likely more easily make a great first impression than a wordy, turn based RPG like Trails, which is probably the other game that will be added if I was on the ball about why Ys Oath was picked first over at least Ys I & II.

I think the PC version increase in resolution alone would be worth it. Also 60 fps.(unless there is another version).
That is pretty good, but I value portability over visuals (and the frame rate seems fine on the PSP version, tho I haven't played through the whole thing yet). I am also curious if there is native controller support and other options I prefer on a PC port. Things like steam achievements would be rather cool too, but just the fact that more Japanese games could hit steam is reason enough to get excited for me.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man.. 1080 support, right?

I can't wait to play this on my Samsung with its sharp ass colors and my 360 controller and my surround headset and EVERYTHING JUST SOUNDS SO GOOD

Eusis

There's native controller support (I'm pretty sure they designed it with controllers in mind over kb/m actually), but you might have some trouble at least with binding the 360 triggers if that's what you plan to use. Then again, the PSP version doesn't even HAVE more than two shoulder buttons and it handled Ys: Oath in Felghana just fine.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Expected but still marvellous.

Will be very keen to see how well this sells on Steam. If Zeboyd Games can do extremely well in selling two parody Japanese RPGs, let alone Terraria being massively popular with a very typical graphical set straight out of the SNES era, then hopefully it will show that these type of games can be successful.

The only issue is pricing. I'm hoping for an initial $20, $30 at the most. Even though I own it on the PSP, I don't know if I can wait for seasonal sales to grab it.

Varna

Man.. 1080 support, right?

I can't wait to play this on my Samsung with its sharp ass colors and my 360 controller and my surround headset and EVERYTHING JUST SOUNDS SO GOOD

One thing I am noticing from all the youtube videos... 5:4 aspect. Does the PC version have widescreen?

Eusis

I imagine it's not going to go any higher than $30 unless Falcom seriously pressured on a higher price point. It debuted at that price on PSP, and despite the PC version being better looking the actual effort was in DOWNGRADING those visuals to PSP while still looking about as close as possible. Well, and dubbing it, speaking of which was it re-released on PC with the VA like Sora no Kiseki?
One thing I am noticing from all the youtube videos... 5:4 aspect. Does the PC version have widescreen?
Unless there was a PC release with the PSP VA, AND added widescreen support at the same time, no.

The gameplay is a lot like Ark of Napishtim. Oath was made right after Ark and is essentially Ys 3 remade using a very similar engine to Ark. So if you liked Ark of Napishtim you are sure to enjoy Oath in Felghana.

As much as I would love to have nice boxed PC versions of all the Falcom gems in English on my shelf, I know that's not going to happen, and Steam is pretty much the next best thing. Honestly, even finding the games in Japan (rural Japan, that is) has been tough. I got a cheap copy of Ys Origin at a Hard Off, but I haven't seen any other Ys games, and the only other Falcom game I've seen was the first Trails in the Sky. The only PC games that I've seen at most stores that sell software are various versions of Monster Hunter, a Koei sim or two, and the occasional Korean MMO.

I really hope this pans out, because I could fall in love with Japanese gaming all over again if I could get it through steam on my PC.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I will buy this day 1 and when it goes on sale? I will buy copies and gift them to my friends.

srsly, this may be the best pc gaming news all year for me

Bladenic

Hm, probably will just get the PSP version unless this version has significant improvements in graphics or otherwise.

Eusis

Hm, probably will just get the PSP version unless this version has significant improvements in graphics or otherwise.
Well, higher resolution (even if kept to 4:3-ish) and an easy 60 FPS would do that, and I think the textures are supposed to be better, but the PSP port is REALLY good, about as good as a game like this would receive on a drastically weaker system.

Aru

Already bought the game on PSP, it's in my backlog for now.
Will wait for LoH TiTS on Steam. Perfect games for a Steam Box :D

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It'll be translated. XSEED's doing it, and is already sitting on the translation. It'd make no sense for it not to be.
Silly of me. I was thinking about something like Origins which has yet to receive a western release.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Silly of me. I was thinking about something like Origins which has yet to receive a western release.

Origin and Ark of Napishtim have translations available from the same person Xseed licensed the translations for Oath and Chronicles. They would require editing, but getting them in English shouldn't be a problem at all.

Eusis

I imagine (or hope) Xseed will move to other Falcom titles should Oath and (presumably) Trails do well enough. But I'd expect only stuff they can easily get on for now, and that means games translated for other platforms. Though, Ys Origin and Ys VI probably are the next most likely thanks to Deuce.

Definitely double dipping. I wonder why Oath would be first though?

Ys sells better than anything else Falcom has on offer; not all the Ys games have PC versions (that takes Seven out); not all the games with PC versions have translations ready (knocking out Origin) or were brought over by XSeed (knocking out Ark of Napishtim). That leaves Ys I+II and Oath, and I+II only have a fairly hoary PC version (by modern standards), leaving one obvious choice.

The only other thing that could make sense to lead off with would be TiTS, if XSeed wants to hedge on the series by bringing it in PC form -- but even that'd make more sense as a followup to Ys, IMO.

Aeana

Well, this is one of two games that XSEED will be putting up I guess. I wasn't expecting this to be one of them, but it's good news nonetheless. I think it'll definitely go over well with Steam folks.

Teknoman

Well, this is one of two games that XSEED will be putting up I guess. I wasn't expecting this to be one of them, but it's good news nonetheless. I think it'll definitely go over well with Steam folks.

Go on...

Ys sells better than anything else Falcom has on offer; not all the Ys games have PC versions (that takes Seven out); not all the games with PC versions have translations ready (knocking out Origin) or were brought over by XSeed (knocking out Ark of Napishtim). That leaves Ys I+II and Oath, and I+II only have a fairly hoary PC version (by modern standards), leaving one obvious choice.

The only other thing that could make sense to lead off with would be TiTS, if XSeed wants to hedge on the series by bringing it in PC form -- but even that'd make more sense as a followup to Ys, IMO.

Its probably best that Oath in Felghana hits first, that way they start with a bang, and I guess you're right about whatever games Xseed already has access to being easier to bring over.

Eusis

Agreed. I imagine on Steam you'd want to have the fun, old school action RPG to lead in then once you have some people interested in Falcom games follow it with Trails. Otherwise most would probably just blow it off as some JRPG.

iavi

One of the two?

Eusis

Please throw Ys I/II up there as well (^___^)
That one's PROBABLY better for later, and with them going back to the Ys Complete releases rather than Ys Chronicles since Ys Chronicles on PC is basically the PSP version emulated as I understand. Better than nothing and all that, plus you get the choice in music, but if I can already get the game on PSP I want the PC version to be better at least in performance.

Aeana

I don't know if Ys 1&2 is realistic. It would be kind of a nightmare I think, because the Eternal/Complete versions only run at 640x480 in 256 color mode, and the Chronicles port version is awful. It just wouldn't give a very good impression to people at this point.

iavi

I don't know if Ys 1&2 is realistic. It would be kind of a nightmare I think, because the Eternal/Complete versions only run at 640x480 in 256 color mode, and the Chronicles port version is awful. It just wouldn't give a very good impression to people at this point.

How does the PC version of Trails compare to that? I've got my fingers crossed on it being the second entry mentioned.

Aeana

How does the PC version of Trails compare to that?

The only thing it lacks is widescreen support. Otherwise, it runs beautifully at variable resolutions. If you play it windowed, then there are no problems. I think it could feasibly be hacked to support widescreen, as was done with Xanadu Next. It'd be worthwhile for Falcom to add support for that themselves if it came to Steam.

Eusis

How does the PC version of Trails compare to that? I've got my fingers crossed on it being the second entry mentioned.
It's on the same engine as Ys VI, Oath, and Origin, which run at 60 FPS at whatever resolution (though selecting widescreen ones stretches it). And I heard the latest releases include the voice clips added to the PSP versions, so I IMAGINE pretty favorable, worst is that they may be locked at 4:3 still.

EDIT: Aeana confirmed the aspect ratio part.

Oh sorry

I really meant any version (or latest release ) of it would be fine

Soule

Not interested in the game, but excited at the prospect of it doing well and encouraging more Japanese games to Steam.

Top Bottom