• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mighty Gunvolt Burst |OT| Made by creators, not a businessman

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've beat four levels three times for all the rewards... I REALLY like this! The bosses are fun and well designed. They don't have overly complicated attack patterns and after a few attempts you can figure them out and its fun to play through the levels again and get through them better wth less damage, a higher score, and beating the stages faster. The game has a feel of progression as each time you go through the level you can see yourself getting better at the levels.

Really impressed with it so far.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This is the best retro fix since Shovel Knight. So impressed.

The OST oddly reminds me of Ace Attorney though.

The OST loops too quickly to me, the tracks are too short. It's good and all, but yeah - I feel like they loop faster than like Mega Man NES games. It could be just in my head. I like the OST, but its not Shovel Knight good or anything.

The OST loops too quickly to me, the tracks are too short. It's good and all, but yeah - I feel like they loop faster than like Mega Man NES games. It could be just in my head. I like the OST, but its not Shovel Knight good or anything.

I'm fairly certain the OST is a 8 bit styled remix of the Mighty No 9 soundtrack (at least most of it). I can't say for absolute certain as the MN9 soundtrack was never something that was all that memorable to me (despite me putting lots of time into the game), but I definitely like Gunvolt Burst's soundtrack more. I at least find myself humming along to it.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I have no idea how any of the elemental weaknesses work or how I am supposed to know that, I've read that as a common complaint... but its not affecting my enjoyment of the game. I guess I could be killings the bosses a little bit faster. But I am able to beat them on the first try consuming all my food, and learning their patterns to beat them more efficiently on the next runs.

With that said, has someone figured out the elemental weaknesses on bosses?

Brakke

Banned
I've found Fire vs ice blocks and Impact I think vs rock blocks in the mine. No idea about boss weaknesses though.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I was just complaining that the OST tracks are too short and loop too quickly... But yet a couple hours after plating I'm humming the music as I cook dinner. Lol the stage select music is very Mega Man-esque and the boss fight music tunes are catchy.

BizzyBum

I have no idea how any of the elemental weaknesses work or how I am supposed to know that, I've read that as a common complaint... but its not affecting my enjoyment of the game. I guess I could be killings the bosses a little bit faster. But I am able to beat them on the first try consuming all my food, and learning their patterns to beat them more efficiently on the next runs.

With that said, has someone figured out the elemental weaknesses on bosses?

Inti are such trolls for making this a challenge without providing a simple visual indicator for boss weaknesses. I did all 8 bosses plus the extra stage bosses with GV and the challenge didn't unlock so I must have missed one. So annoying. It's the only challenge I have left too for 100%.

I don't believe the intro boss has a weakness. Here's the list for the 8 regular bosses: https://np.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...y_gunvolt_burst_elements_please_help/dj3f0cl/. Extra Stage 1 (Beck / GV fight) I thought was Press but could be wrong. Extra Stage 2 (big blob boss) is Heat, Extra Stage 3 (big mech) is Analyze, Final Stage is Press for your clone and Impact for the first phase of Tesuo and Freeze for when his head falls.

Again, I didn't unlock the achivement so something above is wrong, I'm thinking maybe Press for the Extra Stage 1 boss. Maybe you need to be Beck for it to unlock, I dunno.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Lol okay, so whatever. I'm enjoying the game just fine, I'm not even going to worry about this. Maybe if I am like you and complete all the Challenges except this one, I'll go back and do it - otherwise I'm just not going to care.

Lol okay, so whatever. I'm enjoying the game just fine, I'm not even going to worry about this. Maybe if I am like you and complete all the Challenges except this one, I'll go back and do it - otherwise I'm just not going to care.

That's my plan. I don't think I can be bothered to try for the weakness challenge, sounds to vague plus unless there is a decent reward I'll probably just pass on it and start a hard mode Gunvolt run instead (I've never really cared for weaknesses anyway, I go out of my way in Mega Man games to never use them for added challenge!)

I've beat four levels three times for all the rewards... I REALLY like this! The bosses are fun and well designed. They don't have overly complicated attack patterns and after a few attempts you can figure them out and its fun to play through the levels again and get through them better wth less damage, a higher score, and beating the stages faster. The game has a feel of progression as each time you go through the level you can see yourself getting better at the levels.

Really impressed with it so far.

Does this game have some sort of leaderboard system to compare times/scores against other players?

Less directly related, are leaderboards present across many games on Switch? If so, are they based on your NNID?

BizzyBum

That's my plan. I don't think I can be bothered to try for the weakness challenge, sounds to vague plus unless there is a decent reward I'll probably just pass on it and start a hard mode Gunvolt run instead (I've never really cared for weaknesses anyway, I go out of my way in Mega Man games to never use them for added challenge!)

I'm going to wait until someone writes up a definitive list. The guesswork is rather annoying and a visual indicator should be patched in, IMO.

Does this game have some sort of leaderboard system to compare times/scores against other players?

Less directly related, are leaderboards present across many games on Switch? If so, are they based on your NNID?

This game does not, but many Switch games do.

So is this game worth a playthrough I'm guessing? Have played megaman, but never gunvolt nor mighty no 9

Hm, it depends. If you like collecting things, completing achievements, and acquiring good scores for S ranks then the game has a lot to offer with lots of cool customization. However, if you're not really interested in those things and just play to beat it it may not be worth it as it's very short. The replayability comes from doing all of the above.

Hard to go wrong for $10 though, especially if you're a MM fan.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
So is this game worth a playthrough I'm guessing? Have played megaman, but never gunvolt nor mighty no 9

I was kind of bummed when Capcom didn't announce Mega Man Legacy Collection 2 for Switch, or Disney Afternoon Collection...

I'm over it. I'm glad Switch has this, I feel like it covers what I wanted in those two games.

It definitely scratches that "NES Gameplay" / Mega Man itch that I was looking for. And what's more I feel like the entire game has an ever changing difficulty/challenge level. Because you can customize your weapon on the fly, in the middle of the stage or middle of the boss fight, you can really create setups to cheese the game... IF you want. I feel like it resembles Shovel Knight in that way. If you truly make use of all the relics in Shovel Knight (hello, Invincibility?!) that game is hella easy. But if you want that old school challenge, you can play the game using only the same weapon that you began the level with, or however you want! I think that's pretty darn cool.

It's by far the best "Mega Man clone" game I've ever played. Judge me by my avatar, I'm kind of a big fan of the series. I'm really impressed with this game as a MM fan. It's a freaking bummer that this is only available on Switch, and soon 3DS. I feel like if this hit PS4/XBO/Steam that it would be getting the more attention that it deserves. Hopefully they port it to other consoles, I feel like this is a game that needs to be played!

I'd be interested in some of the tough runs in this game which will no doubt emerge in time. The Batt challenge for stage 5 is pretty tough I found (beat the stage having a character who only has 500cp points worth of equipment equipped). In the end I had to give myself 1 shot, 1.5x worth of damage and little to no range in my attacks. Made the level fairly challenging (especially the last big enemy in the level) and especially the boss (took me a good few tries to beat him). Super satisfying when you manage it though, definitely loving how the customisation works to play with the difficulty so you can make the game as easy or hard as you want.

OmegaFax

I might have been a bit harsh with my initial impressions. There seems to be a lot of replay value here. The ranking/score system has a nice draw to it. The collectable stickers remind me of the 3DS Kirby platformers.

Along with Shovel Knight, I think this is one I can drop a few minutes into occasionally just for fun or a better score.

Shantae and Blaster Master almost feel like a "one and done" playthough for me.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Shot in the dark here:
DDChzqEUwAEfFK-.jpg:small

DDCt0RKUAAASba1
Ive been through this level like six times and can't find that last rare item. I've had no problem finding all the others. Is this one notoriously hidden or something?

Shot in the dark here:

Ive been through this level like six times and can't find that last rare item. I've had no problem finding all the others. Is this one notoriously hidden or something?

About a 1/3 of the way through the level, where you reach the room with two ladders in - take the ladder closest to the right hand side of the screen. You'll end up in a small area with a health power up. Go right through a false wall. Now take out the enemy as it flies right beside you and as it blows up it should drop the power up for you to get. I messed up the timing several times so the power up ended up outside the area where I could explore, making it unreachable. If that happens just restart the section and start it again.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
About a 1/3 of the way through the level, where you reach the room with two ladders in - take the ladder closest to the right hand side of the screen. You'll end up in a small area with a health power up. Go right through a false wall. Now take out the enemy as it flies right beside you and as it blows up it should drop the power up for you to get. I messed up the timing several times so the power up ended up outside the area where I could explore, making it unreachable. If that happens just restart the section and start it again.

Ahh that's it! Does the dowsing rod not show you that area? Man, that's the first one I've missed on my own. Thanks for the tip!

Ahh that's it! Does the dowsing rod not show you that area? Man, that's the first one I've missed on my own. Thanks for the tip!

No prob, that one stumped me for a while. The dowsing rod only alerts you when there are destructible walls on the screen, this one is just a hidden exit so it doesn't alert you to its presence. Its a bit evil!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This game is kicking my ass so hard. My God.

Yeah, this game is A LOT like Breath of the Wild. The first few stages are really hard, but once you start getting new customization weapons, you become so OP. After 5 stages 100% complete I can take down bosses so fast, it's too easy.

ProTip: I don't know how early you can do it, but you can customize "Damage Reduction" to... take, less damage obviously. That's pretty helpful. Even ticking it down x0.75 made a huge difference in how many food items I had to consume on those first few bosses. Once you start unlocking more customization stuff, experiment around, and you'll be VERY powerful. Again, a lot like BOTW - you start off weak and by the end you are a ridiculous killing machine who trivializes every encounter.

... I actually find that progression very fun. But I also want to do a "naked" run without upgrades.

I've been doing the "naked" run as my main run, it scratches my Mega Man buster only run itch. Its great fun, and pretty brutal in a couple of places. I've been S ranking the stages as I do it but it still takes a fair few tries before I get that far though. You gotta memorise the enemy locations and boss strategies and that usually takes me a few runs to nail things down perfectly. Its all perfectly doable though, I guess that's why I'm enjoying it so much.

shaowebb

They should just hand Mighty No 9 over to the Azure Striker Gunvolt folks entirely. They really fucked up with it and yet meanwhile the Gunvolt folks crank out 2 fantastic titles in the themes of Megaman X. Upstaged by buddies lol.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Still have yet to fire this up (new baby lol) but I'm super excited to play. Hopefully soon.

You'll now have something to do when you're up at 3 AM! DKC Returns and Xenoblade were my midnight baby feeding games with my first and Majoras Mask 3DS with my second. Congrats!!!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Finished today with Complete on each level, right at 4 hours.

DDHQxzTUAAELkQn.jpg:small

So how do you get the last 8% I only have one S-Rank, do I need to have them all S-ranked?

So this game has some pretty poor levels. It feels more like memorization than skill to do them well. The customizing the bullets so far has felt pretty meaningless and the bosses are only okay.
Coming off of how good master blaster zero is this game feels a little limp.

Man, I'm so disappointed in this comment! I couldn't disagree more! If you play the classic MM series, the level design is better than most of the series. I also LOVE the stage length. They're all right at about 2-3 minutes per level, which is perfect... later MM games got too long and bloated for their own good. The levels are all in that perfect MM2 length of giving you a stage mechanic, elaborating on it, and then twisting it for a final challenge.

The bosses have very easy to read and understand patterns, the RNG is pretty low on what they're going to do, which makes them very non-frustrating. It's incredibly well done and fair, and again compared with the classic MM series, its every bit as good if not better than what you see in MM1-10.

It was already mentioned in this thread: but this game really does feel like Mega Man 11. The stage design and bosses are all exactly what you expect from classic MM series.

Brakke

Banned

I'm really glad you asked about this, I just finished everything twice and realized I was missing this!

Shouts to Shadowman16 for the tip!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Yup, all S ranks for 100%.

Reading online: Playing Hard mode is the easiest way to get all the S ranks. You get so many Clear Bonus points on Hard mode that you will be able to S rank easier than just doing it on Normal mode.

I'm going to break (pun lol) from this game for a while and maybe come back to it. For $10 I absolutely got my fill of it, great little game! Lots of classic Mega Man stages and bosses and NOT frustrating thanks to how powerful you can make yourself.

S ranks aren't really hard on normal either in my opinion. Just use custom slot 1 and full combo the levels (save fruit for bosses if you need them). Once you have the enemy placement down they are easy to full combo, I've managed it on every level bar the last one (still need to actually play that level!)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
When do you unlock the ability to double jump? There's a secret in the fire level I can't get to with Beck because I can't jump that high.

When do you unlock the ability to double jump? There's a secret in the fire level I can't get to with Beck because I can't jump that high.
You can check each level's items on the stage select screen pressing Y. The one you are looking for is called "air tech" or something. Beck can only airdash horizontally while gunvolt has the multijump. but I think you can reach any item with both.

You can check each level's items on the stage select screen pressing Y. The one you are looking for is called "air tech" or something. Beck can only airdash horizontally while gunvolt has the multijump. but I think you can reach any item with both.

Yeah, that's the one. You can have up to 3 (I think) air dashes for Beck that will easily get any secrets in the game.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just started a new play through on Hard Mode - WOW! Hard Mode is REALLY REALY good guys! Damn, it feels like real Mega Man. I though enemies would just do more damage/have more health, but no. Enemies shoot more projectiles on the screen, they move faster, and same for bosses - faster patterns and more projectiles.

That's awesome! I'm going to play through Hard with stock CP now. It feels very similar to playing Shovel Knight Low% (No Relics, Health or Mana upgrades), like almost how the game was 'meant' to be played in a very traditional NES style of that game. Lots of pattern recognition required and slow deliberate play through levels.

Such a great game. I think I may end up playing more of this than ARMS, Puyo Puyo, and Cave Story+, games I need to play more but I keep on coming back to this, and it's the cheapest game I own so far!

EDIT: I also got over myself purposely using the D-Pad Buttons and just went with using the analog stick... it's perfectly fine. The stick has such a short throw - it reminds me of using the NeoGeo Pocket stick, without the awesome clicking, of course.

KDR_11k

I just got the game and it's definitely what Mighty No 9 should have been, terrible music aside. The level designs seem much much better than the MN9 ones.

Slermy

Anyone know if the 3DS one supports 3D? I'm going to guess "No" since Blaster Master Zero didn't.

Trying to decide if I want it on 3DS or Switch.

Opa-Pa

Man, I'm a bit torn on this game. On one hand, the visuals and style are incredible and a big step up from the original Mighty Gunvolt, and the music while not amazing is pretty much what MN9's retro soundtrack should have been.

That being said... Some bosses are pretty annoying, like carbon copies of their MN9 counterparts except more tedious because there's no visual feedback when trying different elements against them and the process of switching bullets is cumbersome, making it enough of a slog that I just give up and go for buster only lol.

I could do without the customization aspect too... The last thing I want in these games is going through menus between stages, I'd rather we just got abilities a la Mega Man and the game offered bullet customization as a bonus instead.

It also sucks that they changed Beck's gimmick in this because that was MN9's most fun aspect and this game would be amazing with it, but as it stands, it feels like a prettier, more competent (in places) version of MN9 that at the same time is less fun to play... Oh well, level design is generally better at least, although not necessarily amazing either.

Just beat Cryo now and that was almost as annoying as she was in MN9 except in a slightly different way and without voice acting (PEW PEW PEW).

Edit: Welp, beat this. Final stages were awesome, especially the original bosses. I feel like a sequel to this could be really special.

VariantX

They should just hand Mighty No 9 over to the Azure Striker Gunvolt folks entirely. They really fucked up with it and yet meanwhile the Gunvolt folks crank out 2 fantastic titles in the themes of Megaman X. Upstaged by buddies lol.

Truth. Beck is at least in good games now.

Had this been the scope of Mighty No.9 originally, there probably would have been a chance in hell for a sequel and to turn it into a franchise. Inafune wanted it to be way bigger than it had any right to be out of the gate.

Top Bottom