• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lttp:Uncharted 4: A thief's End , holy f$&@!

Endo Punk

First playthrough was 20 hours but then I took my time and marvelled at all the detail ND crammed in, big or small. Take your time op this game is not worth rushing.

BlondeTuna

I really enjoyed the direction ND took with this game, the focus on story and characters really made it an engrossing experience.

Eggbok

Sweet Jesus. My playthrough was basically Uncharted 4: Photo Mode. I took so many screenshots and videos. After that, please buy Horizon Zero Dawn. You won't be disappointed.

Same, I'm a photographer in rl as my profession, so like I said I try to force first person perspectives with the geometry to take screen shots lmao. My wife is like wtf are you doing?

OMG. Yeaaaaaaaaa you just made this game last way longer then it should for me!

These posts right here are essentially me. 1/4th of my HDD is just screenshots, for example I have 43gigs of screen for Paragon lol. I have a hard time finishing games due to photomodes, it's sad but worth it. Can be the shittiest game of all time but if it has amazing graphics and a photomode the rest doesn't matter lol.

pswii60

It's just so damn beautiful

Indeed. And because of the incredible variety of the environments from stage to stage, it continues to surprise with its beauty too.

It's a long game in its genre - I think I spent 15 hours working through the campaign. It's certainly an epic journey. Personally, for me, I didn't really feel the game hit its pace until around Chapter 8, after which I was hooked.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I thought the game was a boring slog with some awful characters and terrible uneven pacing.

I guess its got good graphics so Im supposed to overlook those flaws.

Lifeline

I thought the game was a boring slog with some awful characters and terrible uneven pacing.

I guess its got good graphics so Im supposed to overlook those flaws.

Who told you to overlook the flaws because of the graphics?

The game has many fans and has reviewed really well, so the majority like the gameplay and pacing and found the game to be a fun ride.

Is it really that hard to believe other like things you don't.

And yes, I understand I bit the bait

DieH@rd

Banned
Enjoy it OP, and please report of your progress. U4 blew me away, great pacing, charachters, story, gameplay and yes, mind-blowing graphics and set pieces.

Since you have not been spoiled by pre-launch marketing, the only thing that you need to know is that Naughty Dog promissed in marketing that this is the last adventure of Nathan Drake.

You're a dad and you are playing Uncharted 4?

You'll love the game.

PudieRSC

My favorite thing about UC4, and probably that whole series, was
the Crash Bandicoot bookends. I never even played them as a kid, but it struck me as a really affecting way to show the evolution of Naughty Dog and how far they've come
Brilliant idea.

Just started my second play through of the game last night. Really enjoying it! Unlike some people, I really like the opening chapters.

Gurish

Yes. Mechanically it's by far the best. Best set-piece as well. Some really good character moments and of course a phenomenal presentation. Some pacing problems, but it and 2 are the best in the series.

It got what is probably the best and most stunning set piece of all time (even after Horizon I still think that if you want to show the best showcase of gaming related thing to non gamers it would be that set piece), but I still have a big grudge toward ND that they ruined it pre release.

The biggest let downs after playing the game was to find out that the best set piece in the series was spoiled like that, I expected the game to have at least 2-3 more huge set pieces on that level.

I guess that this shit was expensive as hell (don't know too much about the game's budget but I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that this segment alone cost like 3-4 mil) and I was naive to think there would be more but still they shouldn't have spoiled it.

It got what is probably the best and most stunning set piece of all time (even after Horizon I still think that if you want to show the best showcase of gaming related thing to non gamers it would be that set piece), but I still have a big grudge toward ND that they ruined it pre release.

One of my biggest let downs after playing the game was to find out that the best set piece in the series was spoiled like that, I expected the game to have at least 2-3 more huge set pieces on that level.

I guess that shit was expensive as hell (don't know too much about the game's budget but I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that this segment alone cost like 3-4 mil) and I was naive to think there would be more but still they shouldn't have spoiled it.

I assume they spoiled that one because they thought they could get the cut set piece into the game before launch. I'm still hoping an update rolls out where the crane collapse is added into the game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I couldn't help but think last night, in bizzaro world, what if naughty dog was given the next Zelda to develop. Hear me out though Nintendo dudes, I grew up in the 80s and Zelda is what hooked me into gaming. Zelda the original was the first game I really felt part of the world, an adventure and I still think Nintendo makes great games. Botw though, something felt off for me, I wasn't connected.

Then playing this last night, I'm saying to myself, fuck, this is how you make a game, hook the player, the sense of adventure, presence in the world, and of course the amazing technical wizardry going on.

That... no. I love Uncharted, but just no. It's so far away from anything a Zelda should ever be. Also, BotW is the best Zelda game ever, better than any Uncharted, and one of the top 5 games ever made.

I feel like a kid again playing this game, I actually want to get all my daddy duties done today fast so I have more time tonight to play, o by the way how long of a game is it?

Yes! This is the reason why I like Uncharted so much. I got this feeling during Uncharted 2 and it lasted for years every time I thought about that game. Sure, I found aspects of Uncharted 4 problematic, but no game got anywhere close to Uncharted for me.

To me personally (somebody who didn't see Indiana Jones as a kid) any of Uncharted games is better than any Indiana Jones film.

Read the OP, have fun with Uncharted 4, I liked it quite a bit. That said, you aren't pathetic for playing tons of Destiny crucible. It's your time, use it how you want to

If you like graphics and have a big nice TV you'll love these PS4 games:

maxresdefault.jpg

horizon_zero_dawn___the_road_to_meridian__by_keller88-db197w4.jpg

The-Last-Guardian.jpg

journey-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-11aug14

SomTervo

To me personally (somebody who didn't see Indiana Jones as a kid) any of Uncharted games is better than any Indiana Jones film.

Same here. I literally describe them to people as "Indiana Jones... But you're playing Indy. And it's better than any of the films."

I couldn't help but think last night, in bizzaro world, what if naughty dog was given the next Zelda to develop. Hear me out though Nintendo dudes, I grew up in the 80s and Zelda is what hooked me into gaming. Zelda the original was the first game I really felt part of the world, an adventure and I still think Nintendo makes great games. Botw though, something felt off for me, I wasn't connected.

Then playing this last night, I'm saying to myself, fuck, this is how you make a game, hook the player, the sense of adventure, presence in the world, and of course the amazing technical wizardry going on.

This is just upsetting. Had I gone out today I could've easily not read this post.

That... no. I love Uncharted, but just no. It's so far away from anything a Zelda should ever be. Also, BotW is the best Zelda game ever, better than any Uncharted, and one of the top 5 games ever made.
To you. I enjoyed Uncharted 4 more than BoTW and find it to be one of the best games ever.

With that said, I agree that Zelda wouldn't work with the Naughty Dog formula. They're two completely different games that do their own things very well.

-Horizon-

You've just played the worst Uncharted. Now play the good ones (1-3) ;)

1 was meh
2 was good
3 was back to meh
4 is...not as good as 2. Its visually the best and the gameplay is very much the most refined its ever been. But I did not find the story and characters anything worthwhile.

An amazing game from start to finish, story , settings, set pieces were amazing, i was absolutely floored at some sequences.

After finishing and looking back though i wished it had more shooting action scenes and less climbing.

But as a one and done game its amazing.

Ok, long story short. I've had a ps4 since launch but the Xbox one was my primary console because I thought with all my friends on live ( they all eventually stopped playing as we all became fathers and such) and the library of over 1,000 movie titles it would always be my main.

I had the ps4 for the exclusives it would get and I've played through all the Uncharted games but for some reason, o wait I know, I was addicted too Destiny from day 1 and let so many games slide on by as not to take away from my 12 hour days in crucible. F ing pathetic I know.

Fast forward to now, and I just got a 4k, hdr, Dolby vision set and I thought well, time for the ps4 pro. I thought it would be a little stupid to get a xone s when I'll be getting a x1x in nov.

So I grab the pro, Uncharted, ratchet, and infamous.

I have no prior idea what this Uncharted is about, didn't read a single review and holy shit the opening was the most intense so far this gen. Not only that but it was absolutely beautiful in hdr. Then the scene with Nates new mundane job and the transition from the water to working class america, f ing extremely well executed. I just sat there with a smile in my face like , g damn naughty dog really is a step above the majority of the industry.

I feel like a kid again playing this game, I actually want to get all my daddy duties done today fast so I have more time tonight to play, o by the way how long of a game is it?

I'm just so glad I decided to buy it as in all honesty it took over my game of then with the first 5 chapters.

Now go play the last of us!!!!

it's the game with sam in it. sam, & a whole new 'it was destiny!' past for drake, & lots of climbing/downtime. iow, it's, unfortunately, the worst one :) ...

The best combat encounters since Resident Evil 4. Phenomenal game.

If it had more combat, it'd easily be my favorite in the series.

Uncharted 2 still holds the crown as the entry with the best pacing.

It's weird, because I feel UC4's issue is the opposite of UC1's problem, which was too much combat.

It's incredible. I fully intend on replaying it before Lost Legacy comes out. I just burned through Uncharted 1-3 in the last couple months and may have burned myself out though. It's really one of the best video game franchises ever and it's insane that more developers can't even attempt what Naughty Dog consistently pulls off.

SomTervo

It's weird, because I feel UC4's issue is the opposite of UC1's problem, which was too much combat.

1. Using the "encounter select" menu really helps offset this feeling.

2. There are quite a few optional fights it's possible to miss in uc4.

If Lost Legacy follows the same pattern as Left Behind did, it'll have more and better combat than the full game.

(UC2 is still my favourite too.)

Ricky_R

Said it before, but the first 5 chapters of UC4 are some of the most amazing chapters I've ever played.

Granted, that it's fan service for the most part, but it's so damn well executed and so satisfying for long time fans... I really appreciated those moments.

You're in for a ride OP! Have fun man, the pacing is pretty slow in the first few hours, but stick with it and it's quite an adventure.

Uncharted 2's pacing was just phenomenal. It was like a movie that was perfectly executed.

Yup pretty much. It does just about everything the best in the series except that it doesn't pace out its encounters well enough.

Still a pretty great game and my second favorite of the series, but it could have easily been a slam dunk.

If Drake's Fortune had combat as good as Thief's End I wouldn't have minded at all haha.

Top Bottom