• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch trolls will face tougher penalties

Crawl

If a mercy is being trash, I'm going to tell them, if a DD isn't killing, I'm going to tell them. I work too much to waste time coddling bad kids. All my trash talk is gameplay related, I don't attack them personally, I don't know em. But I know if they're playing like shit. I've been master past 3 seasons and gone as high as 3900. It's worked for me since day one. I play in a group of 3 and we maintain a 50%+ win rate. You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.

You need to take a long hard look in the mirror and maybe change some life priorities.

Budi

Eh not really maybe on consoles that's true but it's nearly opposite on PC.
Not so sure, because the trash talking often starts when someone fucks up themself. Somebody overextends and dies "fucking noobs what are you doing!!"
PC is pretty much all awful people on every side. PC online gaming culture is the worst.
Well that's bit of an exaggeration don't you think.

saskuatch

Michael Jordan was one of the best players in the league at the time and his team mates knew that, damn right they would listen to him. Overwatch is completely different some random asshole I never met before in the same rank I am talking shit isn't going to do anything but piss me off.

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.
Well telling players to step up or even that they suck is one thing. Having to put up with kids getting away with randomly whisper yelling n***** into the mic the whole match is a whole other issue. I understand taunting and trash talk are a part of any game or sport, but there is a line when it becomes harassment. No one, no matter their skin thickness, should have to put up with that.

Trash talking quickly escalates in to someone raging. You might be good natured about it, but let's be real, most people out there aren't.

I grew up playing online games so what people say doesn't bother me too much. But there are people who straight up harrass others. Particularly women getting harrassed just for being a woman playing a video game. That shit needs to be stamped out.
I'm not talking about harrassing women or telling people I fucked their mothers or they should have been aborted.

Did nobody here quoting me calling me an asshole play sports growing up? Online games can be competitive. No better way to throw people off than to talk some shit. I loved fucking with people playing sports growing up. Getting in someones head is one of the most powerful tools on competition there is.

I stand by my statement that people are being too soft.

Hybris

I feel like there's too much confirmation bias for any of this "trash talkers are usually good/bad" to be taken seriously. I doubt there's any correlation either way and there's no studies on it that I know of.

8byte

Banned
Not so sure, because the trash talking often starts when someone fucks up themself. Somebody overextends and dies "fucking noobs what are you doing!!"
Well that's bit of an exaggeration don't you think.

Maybe? I've never had a pleasant experience on PC with strangers. Good and bad players alike, there are always really awful behaviors on either side that I can do without, especially when the barrier of entry comes with a large price tag over the same period of time.

It's anecdotal, but I have always felt like PC communities are just significantly more toxic.

Flip4k

If a mercy is being trash, I'm going to tell them, if a DD isn't killing, I'm going to tell them. I work too much to waste time coddling bad kids. All my trash talk is gameplay related, I don't attack them personally, I don't know em. But I know if they're playing like shit. I've been master past 3 seasons and gone as high as 3900. It's worked for me since day one. I play in a group of 3 and we maintain a 50%+ win rate. You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.

Lol, it's a video game.

8byte

Banned
I'm not talking about harrassing women or telling people I fucked their mothers or they should have been aborted.

Did nobody here quoting me calling me an asshole play sports growing up? Online games can be competitive. No better way to throw people off than to talk some shit. I loved fucking with people playing sports growing up. Getting in someones head is one of the most powerful tools on competition there is.

...except you don't really chat with the opposing team, so you're just getting in your teammates head.

What's the point there?

Still wonder how they're going to deal with people who basically "give up" during matches, where they're technically playing, but just running around in spawn doing nothing.

We know they've been working on statistics, tracking, replays, etc for a while now. It's possible that internally, those systems will help the reporting system in that they can review game data and observe behavior such as this. I suspect this wasn't an option for them before and it's why maybe their reporting system will have some teeth now. At least, this is what I hope for.

Royce McCutcheon

Well telling players to step up or even that they suck is one thing. Having to put up with kids getting away with randomly whisper yelling n***** into the mic the whole match is a whole other issue. I understand taunting and trash talk are a part of any game or sport, but there is a line when it becomes harassment. No one, no matter their skin thickness, should have to put up with that.

Nah, I agree, none of that racist/sexist shit. But some healthy ass trash talk? Calling out medals? I love that shit, even better when you win

Laughed out loud at some random ass guy thinking he's suddenly Michael Jordan just because he's an asshole with his teammates.

giphy.gif

Gestault

Michael Jordan routinely verbally abused and antagonized his teammates to 6 championships. Call it what you want, but Overwatch is an competitive game, trash talk is inevitable in competition. You don't see people in Hockey shutting down the fights cause some of the dudes don't have hands. What makes the competitive gaming scene so different.

Watching someone rationalize abusive/harassing trash-talking (in this context) is like watching a child explain why bad behavior is fun for them, so they should get to keep doing it. Unsportmanlike conduct is a broadly implemented rule for a reason, and the reality that the bar is low for videogames currently isn't its own justification for why that shouldn't change. Especially since this is so often about teammates being abusive to their own people.

Nah, I agree, none of that racist/sexist shit. But some healthy ass trash talk? Calling out medals? I love that shit, even better when you win

Do you think that's what this topic is about?

Budi

Maybe you did do that, but it wasn't accepted. And really everyone should realize that playing ranked doesn't make you a professional player. Take the ego down a notch, you aren't gaining anything with those wins. Sure winning feels good, but it's quite insignificant in casual setting.
Maybe? I've never had a pleasant experience on PC with strangers. Good and bad players alike, there are always really awful behaviors on either side that I can do without, especially when the barrier of entry comes with a large price tag over the same period of time.

It's anecdotal, but I have always felt like PC communities are just significantly more toxic.
Sure, I really don't want to defend PC community too much in this. But one big factor here is probably easier communication. You aren't typing slurs mid match with your controller on consoles.
Laughed out loud at some random ass guy thinking he's suddenly Michael Jordan just because he's an asshole with his teammates.

giphy.gif
Yup people really do take casual gaming way too seriously. No grip on reality. You won't be a celebrated and adored figure for reaching diamond or better.

They aren't soft. They're using good strategy. They know people can get into their head so the mute them and negate their strategy.

Keinning

Did nobody here quoting me calling me an asshole play sports growing up?

I did. Never liked it back then either. And i did it that to others too - it was the kind of behaviour we thought it was "normal" for sports but it didnt had to. Growing up in a toxic environment doesn't excuse it being toxic.

Games are different from sports though. Back when i played football, everyone there knew what we were getting. I played with people the same age and mindset than me. With online gaming, that goes completely out of the window. I can play overwatch with a 70yo war veteran and a 15yo crippled girl who attempted suicide for being bullied in her school, all in the same team. Totally different people with different "tolerances". It's a completely different thing.

saskuatch

If you trash talk your own team mates it just doesn't make any sense, Gaurantee you 90% of the time you are making it worse. The other day on competitive some guy told me I sucked at junk rat and to switch in a really rude way so I said fuck it and played turdbjurn the entire match.

Rmagnus

Banned
I did. Never liked it back then either. And i did it that to others too - it was the kind of behaviour we thought it was "normal" for sports but it didnt had to. Growing up in a toxic environment doesn't excuse it being toxic.

Games are different from sports though. Back when i played football, everyone there knew what we were getting. I played with people the same age and mindset than me. With online gaming, that goes completely out of the window. I can play overwatch with a 70yo war veteran and a 15yo crippled girl who attempted suicide for being bullied in her school, all in the same team. Totally different people with different "tolerances". It's a completely different thing.

Don't think these internet tough guys give a shit, it's an ego boost to them. Kinda sad really.

Savitar

The only way for gaming's toxic culture to be dealt with is to have constant moderating presence within the game itself. Someone says or does something an active mod can either silence them, take away certain rights such as whispering someone etc. Do enough actions and you may be unable to talk for a week for example. Or longer bans may be enforced.

In games where talking is done unless if it's through the game again same principle, have people listening in or certain words screened for. Is it so hard to ID when someone says certain words that the typical person might swear with? You would think there is some basic program out there that can flag such things and punish people accordingly.

Until such things are done we'll always be having people act like dicks.

We know they've been working on statistics, tracking, replays, etc for a while now. It's possible that internally, those systems will help the reporting system in that they can review game data and observe behavior such as this. I suspect this wasn't an option for them before and it's why maybe their reporting system will have some teeth now. At least, this is what I hope for.

Hope so, because that's the biggest issue on the PS4 version of Overwatch, especially in competitive.

Like I said, never encountered trash talking. Seems to be mostly a PC thing.

Canucked

Trash talking isn't for teammates. Teammates work together. Solve the problem. Make a plan. If you're being a general jerk to teammates then you're the problem. If You're playing a sport with someone and their only feedback to you is "you missed the ball ass hat" then your team isn't going to the Super Bowl. Your team didn't elect you coach or captain either.

Lol, honestly.

Budi

I'll share this Jaromir Jagr quote here too, as we probably can agree that he is quite good hockey player on highest level. He has some regrets about "toxic" coach.
Jaromir Jagr said:
We did have a good result as a team, but it was so difficult for every player psychologically to work with this coach. He's good as a coach, he has a good system. But if you make a mistake, or not even, if you simply lose a game what happens after that with this coach I have no words to explain. He is a good coach, but not a good person. During the regular season he never yelled at me or told me something bad. But I saw it happening to other guys. And I asked them to tolerate it because we were showing good results. But it was also tough to see how he psychologically tried to kill his players. And it was my big mistake that I asked the guys to tolerate that. I should have spoken to the coach earlier to tell him he simply cannot act like that. And I think the guys were waiting for me to tell that to the coach. And I didn't.

...except you don't really chat with the opposing team, so you're just getting in your teammates head.

What's the point there?
Huh? I realise this is an Overwatch topic but Im talking about games across the board. A quick tea bag or talking shit between rounds goes a long way. They either crumble and play worse, or Trash talking backfires and they get fired up and play better. I prefer the second so games are more competitive

Maybe you did do that, but it wasn't accepted. And really everyone should realize that playing ranked doesn't make you a professional player. Take the ego down a notch, you aren't gaining anything with those wins. Sure winning feels good, but it's quite insignificant in casual setting.
Never said I was a Pro. Not even close. But games are competitive. I try to win in most anything I do in life.

"You aren't gaining anything with those wins"

This is some bullshit logic right here. Why play anything at all seeing as you get nothing?

Orca

Any penalties at all would be tougher penalties. Blizzard has a piss poor track record when it comes to timely action on reports in all of their games.

Unless you play with friends you will be talking shit forever, you will get a shit team of randoms more often than not.
I ... don't care that much. I love to win. And I hate losing more than I love winning. But I still don't feel the need to talk shit.

I do sometimes get mad at random teammates, of course, but then I remember it's a videogame, and that there are always many, many ways I myself can get better, and that kindness is a virtue, so I just turn on music and focus of embarrassing myself in front of strangers.

Gestault

There are topics where I think it's way off-base to judge a person making a comment. I overstep that line sometimes myself, mentally if not in writing, but I try not to. But this topic is different. A person defending the broad "right" to be abusive to other players in online gaming, not the least of which teammates, is a kind of person I'd reject from my personal life and social circles. That person doesn't deserve people around them to be the target of their hostility.

I hope they learn to socialize without a victim, or I hope the structure of the hobby keeps them from having their selfish, malignant "fun."

Budi

Huh? I realise this is an Overwatch topic but Im talking about games across the board. A quick tea bag or talking shit between rounds goes a long way. They either crumble and play worse, or Trash talking backfires and they get fired up and play better. I prefer the second so games are more competitive

Never said I was a Pro. Not even close. But games are competitive. I try to win in most anything I do in life.

"You aren't gaining anything with those wins"

This is some bullshit logic right here. Why play anything at all seeing as you get nothing?
It's fun? But it's not fun to play against or with assholes. That's simple, no? And I did say that winning feels good. Other poster mentioned the "ggez". After you already won, do you continue the trash talk or is it really just a tactic to gain the win? And is your personal fun really so important that you are willing to ruin it from others with verbal abuse? Can't you just PLAY better than the opponent? Or is that too much of an effort?

Sami+

Fuck that, I talk trash all the time. Makes the team step up. Don't punish me for thin skinned people who can't mute folks. Grief is a whole different matter and should be a bananable offense.

Me being a dickhead on mic is other people's fault for not muting me

Lol

Dehnus

You sound like a nice guy, do you also do that at work? And do they also step up when you do? Or are all of them thin skinned people who don't appreciate the real you and can't learn how earplugs work.

After all - it's your abuse that made the team win, you just said so.LOL 😁

PMS341

To be fair telling someone to switch who isn't pulling their weight at a position like Mercy isn't really trash talking.

If a Mercy is being "trash" then either I'll switch to another healer for backup if needed, or I'll move forward with my life because that game will be over in under 8 minutes, and the player skill of one of my random teammates truly doesn't bother me as much as it does others.

You can defy trash talk without demoralizing people. Look at the army.

Holy shit, the whole point of 'trash talk' in the Army is to make people subservient until they break down and blindly follow orders from above.

TOTALLY not the same thing.

I'm sick of presumptuous dicks in Rocket League immediately shouting 'NOOB' when you fuck up, sometimes people just have bad days. No need to immediately pin the loss on one person. The ironic thing is that most of the people complaining are selfish cunts that never defend and only hang around the goal area.

I had to laugh at this. So you think your trash talking is making the team better, yet you still lose half the time.

It's fun? But it's not fun to play against or with assholes. That's simple, no? And I did say that winning feels good. Other poster mentioned the "ggez". After you already won, do you continue the trash talk or is it really just a tactic to gain the win?
If I play a close match I might send a gg or whatever. I play to win. Clearly I'm in the minority with how I do it. I shit talk without being a total cunt or abusing people.

To each their own.

hodgy100

"look at the army"

fucking hell you are what's wrong with the games community.

I play to win but i dont berate my friends. though admittedly they dont always react well to my directness it is done with the best of intentions :(

Top Bottom