• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bosses you felt bad for killing

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
Edge's parents in FFIV.

edges.JPG

HATED this.

Willenium

Persona 5 Spoiler:

i felt real bad about Akechi. Yes, it was pretty obvious that he was going to be a villain eventually but I really liked him as a character and the dynamic between him and your main character was written pretty well.

Ferr986

The Shadowlord in Nier
he basically does the same shit for the same reason as you do

Maybe I'm remembering this wrong but
I don't think Devola and Popola were brainwashed. they just doing what they were programmed to do.

you're right.

CDV13

gnlbXoMl.jpg

Xenogears - Hammer

Why do these portraits in this game always confuse me. Like the main boss one, I can't tel what this is. Lol.

My contribution to the thread would be the blob thing at the end of Demon's Souls. I did not pay attention to the story so I have no idea what the hell was going on, it was just so pitiful, I felt bad.

TheEndOfItAll

Neo Member
latest

This guy from Breath of Fire 2, bound by loyalty to the man that took him in as a child. Later you find out that
he is likely a Dragon Clan member like yourself, which explains this.

"Ryu, this is all I have!" The subsequent fight would grant Ryu his strongest dragon powers.

hqdefault.jpg

Willenium

My contribution to the thread would be the blob thing at the end of Demon's Souls. I did not pay attention to the story so I have no idea what the hell was going on, it was just so pitiful, I felt bad.

this is the thing i love about the Souls games. A player can 100% ignore pretty much all plot and lore and still, through music, character/set design, and programmed movements (Sif's limping, "the blob thing" crawling around, etc), the game can still evoke feelings. It's pretty impressive.

bumpkin

It's hard to call it a boss fight, but
Kuro
in Ori and the Blind Forest. Needless to say, I felt like a piece of dog shit watching the Will of the Wisps trailer.

Osukaa

Did Beepy and Kalil deserve their death? If you think so, you must be deeply misunderstanding something. I had to put the game down for a while before getting to that fight in route B.

47-beepy47.jpg

This is probably the death that had the biggest impact on me in any game. When you play the new game and can understand what they're saying it hurts like hell and you feel like a monster after killing him and leaving beepy all alone.... -_-
Damn.... Nier was soo good

Red Devil

Castlevania/Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness:
Felt bad for Rosa for some reason.
Xenoblade Chronicles:
Why Dickson? WHY!?

Pandoras Tower - all of them except for the last boss.
they were just hanging around minding their own business until som jerk broke into their room and started hitting them with a sword

Yeah it was sort of like Shadow of the Colossus in that aspect.

I still feel kind of bad killing Sin at the end of FFX. Especially after this scene. FFX was one of the first games I played as a kid that gave me a healthy grasp of our own mortality. I thought looking at your own deformed father as he silently begs you to kill him was pretty fun experience for a fifth grader.

ff06fd68d58e67c912f8ccc0db666594.jpg

Pretty much any boss fights against Gamma's siblings in Sonic Adventure/SADX

Pretty much any Megaman X game where he tries to settle it peacefully with the Mavericks before fighting...

Dante in OG DMC telling Griffon something like "You can't fight with that wound!" after weakening Grifon enough to no longer threaten him after you win the final boss battle dealing with Grifon...and then in Grifon's arrogance, he tries to bargain with Mundus for "a last surge of power, the power to finish him!" (him referring to Dante) and then Mundus does show up, only to cruelly, brutally finish Grifon off in a rather horrifying, blinding surge of lightning...if only he listened to Dante, perhaps he could've survived

spookyfish

Man, there was this one guy who was a manager at the Wine and Dine when I was in college, and he just lived to make life hard for me.

One day, it was just us as we were closing down the place, and frankly, I'd had enough. I got him to come out to the dumpster because I told him a homeless guy was there, and I had already stashed a mop handle, and he was giving me shit the whole time, and

I just realized I was in the gaming forum.

Never mind.

I still feel kind of bad killing Sin at the end of FFX. Especially after this scene. FFX was one of the first games I played as a kid that gave me a healthy grasp of our own mortality. I thought looking at your own deformed father as he silently begs you to kill him was pretty fun experience for a fifth grader.

ff06fd68d58e67c912f8ccc0db666594.jpg

Have you played the FFX|X-2 HD Remaster?
Sin is back in FFX-2.5.

AyzOn

Neo Member
Bloodwing

Damn you Handsome Jack!

Was about to post that, I was having fun with BL2 up to that level and it felt weird right from the beginning, the music made it so odd and I absolutely didnt expect them to just blow him up right in your face.

I was really shocked, but that made killing Handsome Jack so much more satisfying.

Also agree on Sniper Wolf.

Zurick

Banned
The Boss was the first boss in any game I ever tried to see if there was a secret ending where you didn't kill her.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I know I was left with a choice in this one but in Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare
after you kill most of the sasquatches, you are left with a choice to kill the last sasquatch and put him out of his misery or leave him to suffer. I killed him out of pity, but it took a while and I felt terrible for all my earlier actions

Hyoukokun

Nightmare.

shadow6.png

Link's Awakening.

By killing him you awaken the wind fish which in turn destroys his island, and every living thing that was on it.

Including Her...

1853820-marin.jpg

The last thing he says before he dies:

"This island is going to disappear.

Our world is going to disappear.

Our world...

Our...

world..."
Spoilers for the ending:
Link's Awakening has a second ending.
If you finish it with no game overs, Marin gets her wish and is turned into a seagull. You can see her flying past the "The End" text.

Everyone else still vanishes, of course.

mas8705

Was about to post that, I was having fun with BL2 up to that level and it felt weird right from the beginning, the music made it so odd and I absolutely didnt expect them to just blow him up right in your face.

I was really shocked, but that made killing Handsome Jack so much more satisfying.

Also agree on Sniper Wolf.

Honestly, I found Handsome Jack to be one of the best bad guys that I can recall in recent memory. Not only do I find his dialouge fun to listen to, but unlike most comedic villains, he does stuff that is meant to mess with your head from the aforementioned boss fight to the
death of a certain soldier.
Not to mention that whole other thing about Sirens too and you have a whole set of brilliant character writing.

Nairume

Banned
Not necessarily a boss, but I pretty much refuse to play one mission of the Zerg Brood War campaign because I can't bring myself to kill Fenix.

Top Bottom