• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jungles in Games

Hoo-doo

Banned
God me too!
Especially stranglethorn. It was magical.
Nesingwarys Expedition... The battles...
A spontaneous raid on Grom'Gol, I was level 33 so getting wrecked by the guards, didn't know anything about anything...

Thanks for the nostalgia.

No, i will not install WoW now.
No.

Dude, I literally opened a tab just now to check on my Battle.net account.
I'm so tempted to just drop into WoW for another month.

Anarion07

Dude, I literally opened a tab just now to check on my Battle.net account.
I'm so tempted to just drop into WoW for another month.

I've been sober since the beginning of Pandaria. Don't do it.

I just love remembering the Stranglethorn times. It was a real jungle feeling.. Plants, animals, ruins, all you're looking for. And big bad gorillas with red and/or skull levels hunting you.

So yeah that's my jungle pick as well

Mossybrew

Stranglethorn is a great nostalgic pick.

Most recently the ruined jungle town at the end of Uncharted 4 impressed me the most.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Cripes, I had to do a double take when scrolling the front page lol.

Favorite jungle offhand would probably be Crysis.

Honorable mention to Jungle Hunt/Jungle King

olag

334369-far-cry-2-windows-screenshot-stalking-through-the-jungle.jpg

Say what you will about far cry 2 but the jungles in that game were damn good. All that was missing was some hostile wildlife .

Is it just me or have none of these so far been jungles? Except for maybe Crysis and the side scrollers but I haven't played those games so it's hard to tell.

Lots of great rain forests though.

SoulUnison

Banned
My first thought was Sonic: Triple Trouble's Meta Junglira Zone, which I only remember because it's probably the most baffling Zone name in the series' history.

NSESN

I think the jungle area of BotW is my favourite area in any open world game so far.

wow so beautiful

If I had a dollar for every pixel...

Whoa gorgeous pixel vomit.

Horizon and Uncharted 4 have some niceeeeeee jungles.

Looks like straight up garbage

Anyway it's obviously Yuhtunga/Yhoator. Best jungles to get lost in trying to find your party.

What's up with this posts? I think the thread is about favourite jungles not the most beautiful ones.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I've been sober since the beginning of Pandaria. Don't do it.

I just love remembering the Stranglethorn times. It was a real jungle feeling.. Plants, animals, ruins, all you're looking for. And big bad gorillas with red and/or skull levels hunting you.

So yeah that's my jungle pick as well

Fuck it, i'm reinstalling just for a taste.

A country's worth of Jungles, I really like how each game puts their own spin on the trope.

Also loved both the ones in Xenoblade series.
That Horizon jungle reminds me I gotta speed up getting to it.

TheMoon

Stranglethorn is a great nostalgic pick.

Most recently the ruined jungle town at the end of Uncharted 4 impressed me the most.

Too many bad memories farming those croc things at the beach with 6 other people waiting for their drop, refusing to group up.

rhandino

Banned
Damn Horizon is beautiful. Really hope I get to play it soon.

Xenoblade X's jungle area is lovely though.

wiiu_screenshot_tv_016zp85.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01q0sw5.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01qlpip.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_014bs6w.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_019to28.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01byqpr.jpg
Noctilum is legit the best area in Xenoblade X

1) Extremely dense

2) The feel completly changes from day and nigh and also according to the climate (at night with nightglow is just 😍

3) Best enemies in the game.

4) Has a lot of variety (there are basically 6 mini areas in there and all of them have such a nice feel.

Nicolada

Oh I love jungle areas. I like the alien jungle on the floating island in Subnautica.

Cwurrst.jpg

There's also that one house in the middle of some jungle in Chrono Cross

eXJYnXp.jpg

For me it'll always be Stranglethorn Vale.

maxresdefaultowu8s.jpg

God I miss the feeling of exploring that entire world for the first time so much.
That's one of my top favorite jungle locations. I like to just go hang out in Booty Bay when I wanna relax in-game. I've yet to go through every zone yet, so I still get to enjoy a fair amount of them for the first time. It's a really magical experience.

Jackpot

Banned
Arma 3 Apex had the best jungle/forest since Crysis 1. About equal actually.

arma3_tanoa_screenshot_02.jpg

40CE87514B3AA11B20F7606E3B9B6A8E08606781

arma3-apex-5_4.jpg

It's a map based on Lovoni, an island next to Fiji.

GoldStarz

I'm really waiting on the Pokemon series to do a jungle environment justice. They came really close in SuMo, but it fell short since the 'jungle' is really basically just a gym (it's a challenge area) and you don't actually pass through it.

Arttemis

I should've saved my post haha. I'll try to replicate it:

MGSV (Africa):

MGS3 (Russia):

Horizon Zero Dawn:
The answer should be MGSV, but the forest section in Africa is criminally underdeveloped. Half (or more) of the map in Africa should have been that kind of wooded landscape... Instead, we get a section that's smaller than the into section of MGS3.

Oneself

My favorite nostalgic jungles are definitely those of Donkey Kong Country and Uncharted (1).

Then, every Uncharted ever followed by Horizon.

Top Bottom