• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What indie characters do you want to see on Smash Bros for Switch?

Bubsy has a new game in development, it's time.

Yeah, let's pair it with this cool dude:
latest

How about no.

I honestly don't really want any. It'd take away the essence of Smash for me.

Please explain what the essence of smash is? More people probably know who Shovel Knight is and what game he came from then Shulk or that he's from a game called Xenoblade Chronicles.

Miriam from Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. I think that would promote the game even further more just like with the release of Corrin/Kamui before Fates even came out.

Code:
[IMG]http://img14.deviantart.net/1dd3/i/2015/138/8/5/bloodstained_miriam_by_tuksoil-d8tvh7q.jpg[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]https://images.eurogamer.net/2015/usgamer/BloodstainedSpot2.jpg[/IMG]

Code:
[IMG]http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/ritualofthenight/images/3/38/Miriam_Transparent.png/revision/latest?cb=20150605195912[/IMG]

None.

In fact, I wish Smash was more exclusive. Too many third parties. Sonic is a third party regular on Nintendo consoles, so he makes sense. Pacman, too, to an extent. But Cloud, Snake, and all the other PS mainstays can hang out with their friends and fester on All-Stars Battle Royale 2 or whatever the name of the next Smash rip-off.

Toxi

Banned
With all due respect, people that say "well uh they already put characters like robin and dark pit in the game!" always get under my skin. Those characters are just simply ordinary Nintendo characters, which Smash is primarily about.

In that sense, including non-Nintendo characters should be a big deal. Shovel Knight and other indies shouldn't be compared to characters like Lucina or Palutena, they should be compared to the other third parties on the roster, like Sonic, Pac-Man and Ryu, who all completely trounce them in terms of fame or legacy. People also like to say "well it's more fitting than Cloud!" but regardless of his association with Nintendo or whatever the hell, he's one of gaming's most iconic characters and can still easily stand along side those other guys I just mentioned. Shovel Knight? Not so much. Sakurai has said in the past that he's not just gonna let anyone participate in Smash.

Bayonetta is kind of a special case because she was the winner of the Smash ballot. Maybe if they do another one for the next Smash game and Shovel Knight or Shantae manage to win it all, they could get in, I guess.
It honestly reads like you have to come up with a post hoc justification for every example. If Shovel Knight ever gets in, I expect, "Yeah, Shovel Knight is in, but he just got in because <insert new reason>. Y character doesn't have that."

And I'm more mocking the ridiculous nature of people acting like indie game characters detract from the purity of Smash's iconic Nintendo characters, as if that's even a concern for the game in the first place. Crash and Spyro at this point could easily fit into the roster without people batting an eye.

Shantae

She deserves it way more than Shovel Knight.

Her first game was Nintendo-exclusive on the GBC in 2002 (and still is as part of the 3DS VC).

68131-Shantae_(USA)-1.jpg

The you have the second Shantae: Risky's Revenge on DSiWare in 2012.

latest

The third, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, launched exclusively on 3DS in 2014.

61wbe1Q5AWL.jpg

And this year the latest game, Shantae: ½ Genie Hero, was launched on Wii U as well as other platforms.

5450007_sa.jpg

The second and third games also came to Wii U and the latest to Switch.

Then you have the long history of games WayForward has done for Nintendo platforms, the numerous Mighty games, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Aliens: Infestation, A Boy and His Blob, etc.

WayForward.png

Shantae represents the independent developer who has most supported the Nintendo download services since WiiWare with Lit all the way tof this year with the latest Shantae game.

She's also a female character with dark skin which is great.

Finally WayForward themselves had a campaign for the Smash ballot.

shantae_vote_smash_bros_outfits.png

Shantae has had a history with Nintendo since her birth 15 years ago. She is the best indie representative for Smash.

I didn't know about this! Hopefully it meets its goal. It would be such an amazing thing to give more exposure to these indie games like Smash did for stuff like Fire Emblem.

Miriam from Bloodstained Ritual of the Night. I think that would promote the game even further more just like with the release of Corrin/Kamui before Fates even came out.

That's a neat pick, especially considering the lack of Castlevania characters.

It honestly reads like you have to come up with a post hoc justification for every example.

Basically "I don't want indie characters but that's looked down upon on GAF, so instead I will make up a set of rules that are as contrived as needed to include every current Smash character and exclude any indie character without explicitly alluding to them being indie characters." :)

Mazzo3

I'd rather have Indie Smash Bros. as a separate game, because there's no way to introduce a crying naked baby like Isaac, or a skinless bloody cube like Meat Boy in a Nintendo game.

That aside, Shovel Knight would indeed be good in Smash.

Griss

I'd rather they shrink the roster back to 25 and remove all 3rd party characters, but in the spirit of the thread I'll say Shantae. Make her extra sexy though, and no 1/2 genie hero nonsense - has to be real Shantae from the original 3 games.

I'd rather have Indie Smash Bros. as a separate game, because there's no way to introduce a crying naked baby like Isaac, or a skinless bloody cube like Meat Boy in a Nintendo game.

An indie smash bros has always been a great idea imo.

Tyeforce

This. Nothing against indies, I love 'em, but that's not the kind of guest characters that Smash Bros. goes for. An indie character would be jarring with the rest of the cast. For third-parties, let's get a Konami character back, and maybe another Square Enix character (Dragon Quest, perhaps?), and hell, even a Level-5 character.

That said, if it ever was to somehow happen, I'd like to see Quote from Cave Story before anyone else.

Shantae wouldn't happen given she's got hardly any history in Japan. Really, any western character is extremely unlikely, indie or not.

Toxi

Banned
Shantae wouldn't happen given she's got hardly any history in Japan. Really, any western character is extremely unlikely, indie or not.
It is kinda sad how the only western-created character is Diddy Kong. No Dixie Kong or Cranky Kong, no Dark Samus. In general, Donkey Kong Country feels absurdly shafted considering how popular the games are.

Though you could also say that about some Japanese series like Rhythm Heaven.

Shantae please! Forget all those "none" people.
I'd rather they shrink the roster back to 25 and remove all 3rd party characters, but in the spirit of the thread I'll say Shantae. Make her extra sexy though, and no 1/2 genie hero nonsense - has to be real Shantae from the original 3 games.
What in the flipping heck does this mean?!

God no. Smash is a series about iconic Nintendo characters and the 3rd party series featured (Bayonetta aside, but I'm not too fond of her inclusion either) are all industry titans that pretty much define the gaming world. Adding in a bunch of indie nobodies would ruin that. Seeing an unironic Undertale suggestion makes my stomach turn. Thank god Undertale released after the Smash Ballot had closed. I dread to think what could've happened if it had hit peak fad status while the ballot was ongoing.

The only two options I'd be willing to take would be Shantae and Shovel Knight. They're still not in the same league as ANY of the Smash roster, but they're basically the crossover king and queen of indies and both have a good relationship and history with Nintendo. Even then they'd probably have to be a package deal, because just one of them would stick out like a sore thumb amongst the rest of the roster.

And before someone brings up stuff like Dark Pit to counterpoint, I'm unhappy with his inclusion as well, but he's a different deal altogether. He's A. A last minute simple clone that was originally supposed to be a costume, and B. A First Party Nintendo character, which has a different set of rules from a third party. Bayonetta aside, all the third party characters are representative of industry-defining franchises with storied Nintendo histories. Had it not been for the ballot, there's no chance in hell Bayo would have even been considered (which would have been better but c'est la vie). Indie nobodies like Owlboy or Yooka-Laylee or whoever's the latest fad would just sully Smash's otherwise stellar cast of third parties.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I hate to be that guy...but yeah my answer is also none.
I like Shantae and Shovel Knight but Smash is first and foremost a collection of first party characters - that will always be the focus. Only 3rdParty exceptions are made for gaming icons recognized by a big audience...Solid Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu, Cloud Strife.....Shantae ? Come on.

But IF i had to chose one Shovel Knight would probably be the safest choice.

Memory

Only Shovel Knight and Shantie for now. There are still a lot of lesser known Nintendo characters i want represented.

Sesha

Shovel Knight
Shantae
Calibretto (partially to see folks cry more about Ridley)
Drifter
Juan
Miriam
Ajna

Morts

The last Smash had too many non-Nintendo characters for me. I'd rather see more obscure first party stuff.

Sponge

Banned
Shovel Knight. I did want Yooka-Laylee since that's the closest we can realitstically get something like Banjo-Kazooie in Smash. After the games poor recption however I feel it's unlikely, but I would happy if they got in.

Hyoukokun

Quote feels well-earned to me. Cave Story arguably played a really important role in kicking off the indie boom. Certainly there was an indie scene before it (hi, shareware!) but it was an important example that showed people what a talented individual or small team could do.

Quote himself has a bunch of cool possible moveset options (jetpack 2.0! the bubbler! the fireball! the sword!). Not hard to imagine how they could work that in. And his game has had fairly prominent releases on the original Wii, Switch, and 3DS.

Top Bottom